(Close Window)
Topic: XL by Jay Sankey
A new effect from Jay Sankey where a freely selected card is placed between 2 jokers and is then made to stretch/grow in size. Everything is examinable.

Check it out: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/xl-by-jay-sankey-p-3781.html?zenid=0e59addcd3434f3cc45251934c028a1a
Aldo has a similar effect. I guess all one has to do nowadays is dig out old vhs tapes and release these little gems under a different name.
Where can one find the Aldo effect?
Am I missing something? As soon as he took the rubberbanded card from his pocket, you could see a Queen sticking out in between them. I don't get it.
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 11:34, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Am I missing something? As soon as he took the rubberbanded card from his pocket, you could see a Queen sticking out in between them. I don't get it.
[/quote]

A discrepancy I believe.

That's very sharp of you, but then again, you are a magician!

Take care buddy,

Logan
I noticed it too... I also noticed that, although 'any card (could)' be touched' it was still forced.

Derek Merdinyan
I agree with Logan. We might not be fooled, but I think this would fry laymen. Especially since they can examine the cards before and after the effect.
Wait wait wait. You're saying Jay Sankey released an effect?

FINALLY!

--Josh
Heh??? He's released a couple of new ones just this past month...

This looks like it would fry laymen for sure! Also, the demo might not be as good as a live performance. The gaff(s) it comes with must be pretty cool... I'd like to here some reviews, and go from there. Im going to watch that demo again... -Jesse
I thought we were supposed to entertain them not fry them!
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 15:41, Tom Bartlett wrote:
I thought we were supposed to entertain them not fry them!
[/quote]

Good point. Look at the way we talk about our audiences these days: we want to "kill them," "fry them," "slay them," "blow them away." We want crack their skulls (Skullkracker).

Honestly, we have no respect for them at all.

--Josh
Actually, I wasn't looking at it as a magician. I always save THAT for the second viewing of a demo. It was just very hard to miss, magician or not. I thought he was showing the Queen intentionally and was then going to pull a "gotcha" with a really huge card.

This one won't be on my short list, my long list, or even the list I throw in the trash. :) I like Sankey. I have a ton of his stuff. This one just doesn't go anywhere.

Jeff
Getting "fried" can be a good thing too! ;)
YUP! I love it when I get fried. It's always the really simple stuff that gets me though because I'm not on my guard. Like I wrote on another thread, I've been using an invisible Deck for 20 years, but someone with a clever routine using an ID will totally fry me....then I want to hide in the corner :)
I was totally fried by a version of the monte. I know how it works now, but the method is still hard to completely picture and explain. I love that kinda stuff! XL isn't that to us maybe, but to a lay person, this effect might still be a murderous blood bath. Red rum, red rum! haha
I also enjoyed being "fried" by a "killer" effect, or blown away by an outstanding performance!
Personally, I think that the handling looks awkward--where the right hand covers the cards' short ends closest to the body immediately before "stretching" the queen. I prefer Gary Plants' [i]Longer and Leaner[/i].
But does it "fry"?... :) ..
Peter Kane created the original version and a number of other versions followed. Will this version fry? There's no way to know the answer to that question without performing it in the real world, but the question that should be asked in my opinion is, "which version will fry the most?" Another question some magicians might want to ask and answer is, "what's the reason for stretching the card?" My initial thought is to stretch the queen as a demonstration of how the "rack" was used to torture people in the Middle Ages.
One could even say "that was sick"
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 22, 2006 09:59AM)
Ok... you wind up with a stretched card and you give it to them? souvenir?
Talk about off topic, but....do spectators really keep souvenirs from unknown magicians? I don't know that I would keep a torn card or a bent coin or something. I always wondered why magicians handed out strange or otherwise destroyed stuff, except maybe to a kid at a party. Maybe if it was from a famous magician they saw on TV who was a household name they may keep it as a segway into telling their friends about the "famous guy" they met. But "Hey, see this? Some stranger came up to me in the street and....".

I could be wrong.....I often am.

Jeff
Oh, man. I have had people come up to me six months after I have performed for them and pull out a folded card from their wallet with a huge smile on their face. It doesn't matter if you're famous or not. If they like you and you do something memorable, they will keep the card.

As far as XL, it looks like Sankey has included a bunch of different handlings on the dvd (including a "torture" handling). The card itself is cool and I'm sure we could all come up with some great uses for it. But I don't know if I want to spend $20 on this.

BTW, Jonathan, I could be wrong, but don't think the card is supposed to be a giveaway. I think you show it around and then take it back. Sounds like it comes with a red card and a blue one. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on repurchasing the trick.
I have noticed that people don't always keep their signed card, or torn card, etc... Not from me, just in general, from non-famous magicians. They don't care that much. But when David C. gives out something, they usually bring it home as a conversational piece. How many stretched cards do you get with XL. Even a full deck, and I'd be apprehensive about giving out such a cool prop.

I also agree that the overall handling is a little suspect, at least what I saw on the demo. I have a feeling this is better than we think though. There are other handlings and effects included too... New demo would be great!
[quote]

On 2006-12-21 11:34, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
[/quote]

When he put the jokers on the deck? No discrepancy...that was ostensibly the injogged queen and that's what you SHOULD see since the queen is injogged. That also sets up the next move.

It's actually a pretty cool routine, if not a little awkward at that one point, as Larry mentioned. Except, maybe unwisely, Jay paused right there to make a point with the cards. That's odd because that's exactly the time in the routine when the most heat is on the hottest object! If YOU do this routine, just don't do what Jay did!
;-)

-
I've got people pulling stuff out of their wallet that I showed them years ago.
You show somebody something and make it personal it's a story they tell for years
Some online magic stores are already sold out of this item.. :) ..
I'm not saying that everyone who signs a card keeps it forever. But some do.

I have already thought of a few ways to handle the cards which I don't think would look terribly awkward.

As far as the demo goes, it's not great. Jay did the same thing with "Moving Violation". He put the worst presentation on the demo. When you get the dvd, that presentation isn't even on there. I use Moving Violation all the time as a way of handing out my business card. I use the "Six of One" handling. Wonderful trick.
I need to get that (moving violation) when I get back home. I saw it at Hank's, and it looks great! Its really fun to perform! I am going to purchase XL too, simply because the gaffs it comes with should be really cool, and I'm SURE the handling explained is excellent.

This is why demo videos are such a problem.
Off topic - but I think Nailed is a very powerful and deceptive Jay's latest effect. You can have the spec keep the card as a very memoriable souvenirs to keep, IMHO.
[quote]
On 2006-12-22 16:22, Jessiah wrote:

I also agree that the overall handling is a little suspect, at least what I saw on the demo. I have a feeling this is better than we think though. There are other handlings and effects included too... New demo would be great!
[/quote]

I thought you said it fried you!
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 14:01, Jessiah wrote:
This looks like it would fry laymen for sure!
[/quote]

Nope. I also said I was fried by a version of Monte (not sankeys). And then I said I like to get fried, but even that was sort of misunderstood.. ;)
?
Is this effect really worth 2 threads? :)
Only if people are getting fried, killed and slayed left and right are you allowed to have two threads
I think having two threads is "stretching" things a bit.

(I'll admit that pun is a stretch too)
We'll just let that "thread" pun "float" by.
That "float" comment is actually doing all the "floating".