(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Ring and String/ Ring to wallet routine
What are some of your favorite, ring and string / ring to wallet routines?? I hear there a quite a few nice ones out.

SIX
I think these are the sort of routines you develop over the years by trial and error to find out what plays well for you,having said that Greg Wilson's Ring Leader will probably give you more than enough moves and ideas to play with.
I have to agree with Warren.
Learning the moves for ring and string will help you build your own special routine.

One that I came up with ends with a finger ring being knotted on a shoelace, vanishing and ending up on my key ring.
Have fun!
Dan Fleshman has a nice Ring and String routine that was published in the Magic Menu. I believe it has since been released on DVD.
I created my own routine with moves taught on the Greg Wilson Ring Leader dvd. I end with their ring inside my buttoned, zipped wallet which they take out themselves
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jan 1, 2007 10:09PM)
Check out Doug Malloy's Ring to wallet routine. It includes:

1) a very commercial 3-phase routine
2) a great quality wallet
3) special props and gimmicks,
4) velvet rope.

Check out his website: http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/ring_wallet.htm

This is quality routine and prop. It is one of my workers.
For 180 bucks!!!!
Who the frap would ever pay that much?

Is there more then just the videos?
Jim Ryan's Ring Rope and Rod.

Far and away one of the best. It is in the Pheonix bound volumes.
Bob Millers ring and string routine is one of the best .called relentless ring and string on his video and dvd, As for ring and wallet I choose Steve Dushecks ringer. over any wallet routine,, because it is instant repete and no jacket requiired
vinny
[quote]
On 2007-01-01 19:40, Bill Hallahan wrote:
Dan Fleshman has a nice Ring and String routine that was published in the Magic Menu. I believe it has since been released on DVD.
[/quote]

I bought the pamphlet from him at a lecture not too long ago. It was part of a package, but he was selling it for $5. He calls it Sonata for Ring and String. He likes to finish it off with a basic Ring Flight
Scody/Haywire, Malloy’s ring to wallet is a close-up routine that includes all the props necessary. I’d say watch the reaction of the people on the Demo on his website. Those are real folks being filmed during a real performance and the reactions are genuine. Malloy gives you the entire routine right there in the demo video. If you have basic skills and the props you don’t need anything else.

Honestly, if you have basic ring-off-sting skills and perhaps if you already have a strong ring and string routine AND already do a ring-to-impossible-location (say a Lippencott box) then this is NOT breaking any new ground for you. But if you are just starting out and don’t have either a good ring-and-sting routine or ring-to-impossible-location routine then is a very good place to start. It will probably serve you for years.

Expensive? Maybe, but I don’t think so. A good quality LePaul/Balducci wallet can cost over $100.00. Malloy includes a very well made, high quality LePaul/Kaps/Baldacci wallet with the routine. In fact the wallet he provides looks like the old “Supreme Super Zippered Wallet” (no longer being made), which in the 60’s cost up to $80.00!!! True, you could probably find a suitable LePaul style wallet today for under $100.00.

The individual props include the appropriate wallet, the “Check to Dollar trick”, the laminated bill (which is a joke in the routine and gets a soft laugh), and the velvet cord. You could probably find all the individual props needed for the routine, if you looked hard, for around or under $100.00. But then you would just have the props.

Then you get a tested routine including the necessary instructions (moves) for the ring off string routine (two nice moves melded into a strong routine which could be and has been a stand-alone bit). Plus you get the scrip, an instructional video, AND performance rights.

I don’t know, I am thinking that $180.00 is not all that much!

The routine is well thought out (typical for Malloy) and takes a pedestrian ring-off-string trick and turns it in strong, visual magic. You can close your close-up show with this effect. This plays big enough for most small venue (comedy club/parlor/bar) type of act.

There is a reset that takes some degree of privacy and is not instant that makes it less than “instant” for a walk around gig. Still, with a bit of management, it is a good walk around effect.

So basically what you have is five minutes of good, visual, fun magic carried in your pocket! Is that worth the price?
Harry,
I completely agree with you. I have Malloy's routine and it is fantastic. You get the props as well as a very well-structured routine. Certainly, I have made purchases I am not that happy with (I sold my Final Answer), but this routine is a keeper and definitely a closer. It can be used in a formal close-up show or doing strolling magic (the reset is minimal). Yes, I think it is expensive, but I think it is worth it.
John
Bill Hallahan is correct about Dan Fleshman's Ring and String routine. Its a solid routine and gets a great reaction. I have been performing Dan's routine for many years with great success. Its on his video "The King of Clubs & Restaurants". Put out by "Magic On Video" volume #1.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Apr 8, 2007 10:27PM)
Good Wallets aren't cheap. The check to bill gimmick is clever and visual. The video teaches all the necessary ring moves you need to know and the routine is time tested by a working pro... all this for $180.00

Malloy's ring to wallet is a highly commercial routine - a real worker. Considering the money I've made on gigs, it was a wise investment.
I use a combination of Dan Garrett's and Marc Desousa's..Cordially,Howard
David Tong has a great ring on string routine...

The ring jumps from the string to a stick that is held in a specs hands.

During the second phase the ring is sert to jump from the ring to the stick a
second time, but does not.

It appears as if the magi has made a mistake at wich point the ring is revealed
to be in the magicians key wallet in his back pocket.

A great routine for table hopping... You should check it out.

Shawn.
I might add that many times when I perform Dan Fleshman's routine, I end up with the borrowed ring vanishing and ending up in a sealed envelope aka "signed card to seal envelope".
Who is it that recently came out with a ring to shoelace routine? Ring ends up on a knotted shoelace.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Never mind - I should have looked a few topics down. It's Interlace by Richard Sanders.
kerpa
The best ring in wallet type routine I ever saw was a year or so ago while visiting Vancouver Canada. I saw Gerard perform his version and it blew me away!! He did a ring in sock in wallet routine. I hope he releases it on the market one day ... it was incredible. I believe he is now a consultant for Chris Angel so perhaps they will release it
Thanks, The routine you saw is not going to be released any time soon...Its been a pet effect for around 10 years now.

thanks for the kind words,
Gerard
I just started performing Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader routine and love it but then again, this is the only routine I have ever seen. Can someone recommend a routine they like better? PM me. Thank you.

Also, can anyone recommend a place to get those velvet cords that he is using in the DVD? I originally purchased the video and got one but when I purchased the DVD, it came with a lame shoe string and ribbon. Guess they could no longer get them.
In my new upcoming book, [b]Kingdom of the Red[/b], there are two ring routines. One uses a ring and rope (3 inch ring and rope) and is part of a longer "Comedy Rope and Ring Routine". Any part of it could stand alone.

The second is a finger ring and cord routines called "Wedding Ring Redux" which uses some original moves. That routine is performed in verse.. It can be performed with a velvet cord (my preference) or a rope or a shoelace/string.

The book will be published Aug 31 this year.
See below for link:

Larry
Here's a photo of me doing my Comedy Ring and Rope Routine which is in chapter 3 of the book.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/roperingweb.jpg[/img]

By the way, I found a source for the velvet cords (like Gregory Wilson uses) in a number of colors but I had to buy them in bulk from a Trim supplier in the Garment Center in NYC. I will be selling them from my website once the book ([b]Kingdom of the Red[/b]) is ready to ship and the website is set to accept payments for the new book. I may also give away some of these cords to book purchasers from the Café at some point.

I also will be selling two types of rings from the website. One is like the one in the picture and another is thinner and much lighter.

The [b]21st Century Coin Mechanics[/b] website of course is still running until I'm out of books and it accepts Paypal, check or MO.
I have always used the ImMAKulate Ring Flite. I bought it years ago, and it still serves me well, although if it is a quiet situation, it can be a little noisy, but all in all, it's not that bad.
[quote]
On 2007-04-18 20:03, close-up wrote:
I might add that many times when I perform Dan Fleshman's routine, I end up with the borrowed ring vanishing and ending up in a sealed envelope aka "signed card to seal envelope".
[/quote]
is this the one on the jailhouse dvd, or is it a finger ring routine?
if so, where can I find it?
thanks
matt
I'm considering the Malloy version, as I don't have any version of this type of effect....two questions:

Can the wallet be used for other effects?
Does it require wearing any particular clothing?
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (May 17, 2008 10:25AM)
Yes, you can use doug's wallet for a card to wallet routine.

Yes, you will need to wear a coat with an inside pocket.

Doug's ring to wallet routine is one of my workers. However, Becuase I often don't wear a jacket, I developed "Ring Finale". Ring Finale does not require use of a jacket. In fact, I have a routine using Ring Finale and Doug's routine which is a lot of fun! PM me for details.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 17, 2008 10:27AM)
I hope to be able to bring an exceptional one to the market. It is not mine, I was making a guest lectue spot an afterwards was shown a routine called 'Ring, string and ding', and it really was a joy to watch, and EVERYONE there all agreed how brilliant it looked. I was in talks with the person about bringing it to the market, but I have lost their information. Once I can find it again I will definitely be looking at getting it to the rest of the Magic world
Hey chris
I guess you are talking about the gary jones lecture in dorchester last november?
have you had any luck with pushing the release?
I saw it, and yep...it great!
cheers mate
matt wainwright
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 18:45, matt.magicman wrote:
Hey chris
I guess you are talking about the gary jones lecture in dorchester last november?
cheers mate
matt wainwright
[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Yes it was after my lecture, the guy is called Paul Highland. I did an award ceremony gig with him last Thursday and he was getting great reactions with this effect.

Chris, I'll email you Paul's details.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Does anyone have any information on "Ring, String and capital Gain" by Loren Christopher Michaels?

And, where can I see Dan Garrets routine? Is it available?

Thanks
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 27, 2008 04:38AM)
[quote]
On 2008-05-24 21:09, gjmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-05-23 18:45, matt.magicman wrote:
Hey chris
cheers mate
matt wainwright
[/quote]

Hi Matt,

Yes it was after my lecture, the guy is called Paul Highland. I did an award ceremony gig with him last Thursday and he was getting great reactions with this effect.

Chris, I'll email you Paul's details.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
http://www.garyjonesmagic.com
[/quote]

That was it! Very good routine, and all going well, should be able to offer the routine to the Magic community!
My routine called Stringing You Along is published in the One-man Parade in the March'08 Linking Ring. It uses a John Bannon idea from Impossibilia in a different way for the finale.
Hi chris
any idea of a time scale with this one mate?
cheers
matt
Lately, I've had much success using Viking's Card To Wallet Plus http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=485 for the impossible location finale of a spectator's borrowed finger ring at the conclusion of the Ring & String routine (Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader) that I am currently performing which by the way leads quite nicely into another of Wilson's effects - The Hundy 500. Whats funny, the money clip of one dollar bills in the wallet are even offered to the spectator during the routine after my credit card is refused as a consolation prize! Does anyone have any other recommendations for potential Coin/Ring wallets available?
Hi Everyone out there in Magic land noticed this old post and thought id say that Ring String and Ding by Paul Hyland has finally been released by Workers Corner, I bought this at Blackpool this year, and can say that it is one of the best ring and string routines I have seen in a very long time, the routine is very engaging and I'm sure I will have fun learning and performing it. The film work is supurb and the overhead shots along with Paul's instruction make it easier to learn.

Enigmagik32
This has been mentioned before, but I've gotten a lot of mileage from my routines generated from Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader. Such valuable and numerous moves taught on this DVD. And, it's fun to perform.
The Doug Malloy ring routine doesn't seem to have a video on his website anymore. Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks,
Bill
I use a routine by Jason Alexander, it is absolutely brilliant. The bit can be found on "West Coast Conjurer's. A video put out by Tony Clark. It's a typical 1-2-3 routine with a climax of the ring vanishing, and traveling to the card case that has been on the table in full view since the beginning of the routine.

This routine produces the same, if not better, reactions to those seen on Malloy's demo. I just cannot justify spending 180 dollars on a ring & string effect. I already know that I'm going to get flamed for saying that.

IMO, I just do not understand why certain dealers find it necessary to mark items up SO much?! I mean, I just bought a El Duco card to wallet from Joe Stevens for 25 bucks. Add to that a cord, a laminated bill, and a typical blank paper to bill gimmick, plus a 3 phase ring routine, and I just created this routine for 30 bucks.

Before the ethics police start coming after me, I must say that I do believe in supporting creators, and I do believe in NOT stealing othere creators material. The point of all of this, why spend 180 dollars on an obviously overpriced routine, when you can perform a routine of equal caliber using items you already have?

Those will argue.. "Doug says that his agents book him specifically becuase of this routine" and "180 dollars is worth it considering how much I've made back on my shows". To a layman, whether or not you produce a ring from a wallet or a card box, I believe the effect, to them, is identical. It's the presentation, and your ability to efficiently entertain, that will have your clients continue to call. Not whether or not you spent 180 dollars on a ring & string routine. Just my 2 cents.

Best,
Aaron