(Close Window)
Topic: Chrome Plating Question
Hello All:

I have some large (about six inches long) steel nails I'd like to get chrome plated. I don't know anything about chrome plating - can I get someone locally to do a small job like this for me? I live in the Phoenix area.

Also, these nails are for the Spikes thru Balloon effect, so I'm curious if the chrome plating adds thickness to the nail.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron
Know anybody that does custom cars or motorcycles? they could probably get it done for you as an addition to one of their orders. Or you could just call a plater in your area and ask. And yes their will be a change in the thickness as you are adding compound to the nails.

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Thanks once again, Stanyon. You are the answer man.

Ron
Depending on the amount of work you want to do

http://www.caswellplating.com/

They have kits for everything including pewter and aluminum, if you want to chrome that old jumbo coin.
The nails will have to polished before plating them, it's the hand labor that drives up the price of plating. I have found I can make something out of stainless steel for less than I can get an item platted.
[quote]
On 2006-12-26 09:33, Stanyon wrote:
.....And yes their will be a change in the thickness as you are adding compound to the nails....

[/quote]

That said, the increase in thickness will be very small!
But there will be an increase! Was I wrong?

Cheers! ;)
Yes, there will in an increase in the size and it depends how close of tolerences you have. It should not make a big difference in spikes throuh balloon.

I have been using polished stainless for years instead of plating. But it is not cheap. Two years I put over $1800 in eighty feet of tubing.

A tip on plating..if you start with brass or copper, it helps cut down on the price of plating. Most plating has to be done over brass or copper. That can be an extra plating process. If the brass is well polished, before plating it should not need much polishing between the nickel and chrome plating baths.

Richard
Chrome spray paint might do the trick. Certainly not as durable but a lot cheaper and easier. Sanding with fine grit would be the key to the prep. As long as everything else is smooth, shouldn't get too much problem with chipping or scraping of the finish. Worth a try.
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes - I may try polishing first, and seeing if that's satisfactory or not.

I appreciate everybody's imput on this.

Ron
[quote]
On 2006-12-27 21:54, hugmagic wrote:

I have been using polished stainless for years instead of plating. But it is not cheap. Two years I put over $1800 in eighty feet of tubing.

Richard

[/quote]

Richard,

What size or kind of stainless steel tubing cost $22.00 a foot?
The tubing I use for Fastest pipes that is mirror polished and shipped in 20 foot lengths.

Richard