(Close Window)
Topic: Learn to Hypnotize in 59 Minutes or Less!
Just bought this book, AND I love it!
Fun With Hypnosis: The Complete How-To Guide
Learn to Hypnotize in 59 Minutes or Less!
Dance like a Chicken, Bark like a Dog, Quack like a Duck
The book gets 5 1/2 out of 6 stars. No kidding! Just what I've needed.
I've read the first two chapters, and I should be ready to go by tomorrow morning.
This Professor Svengali guy is pretty sharp!
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 26, 2006 09:29PM)
Good book. I read my dad's copy last summer; only took about an hour. I use the Lemon Test, Stuck Fingers, and the Fingers in the Ears at parties. The strength tests are fun, and so is Forget Your Name.
I hope by "about an hour" you mean at or under 59 minutes, otherwise you should get a refund.
I'm a very slow reader, so it may take a couple of hours for me. But I'm sure it's worth the extra time. :)
Sounds like a great beginning book for learning waking hypnosis.

Martin :pirate:
Based on the comments here, and the reviews on Amazon.com, I ordered this book. It seems like just what I want: something that offers practical 'hypnosis' demonstrations without going very far into the mechanics and nuances that would only benefit somebody doing a full Hypnotism show. Thanks for the heads up, Slim! My copy should be coming in a couple days (2-Day Shipping was my only option! I won't complain ;))
Martin is right. It sounds like a great option for those interested in waking tests/physical demonstrations, without having to get into the trance state directly.

Good luck with it.
I think that you have the wrong idea here. This is NOT a book about Hypno-Tricks. It is a complete guide to stage hypnotism. :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0966398505/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-8226506-8710452#reader-link
I stand corrected. However, this is only the first in a collection of books, DVDs, and other training to get out on a stage and perform. Reading is fine; however, it takes actually seeing what you have learned in use that causes you to turn the corner to actual use of material.

I have to question a one hour guide to almost anything.
Ill second Dannydoyle on that. I am a certified hypnotherapist and I don't think hypnosis is something you play with like a party game.
Obviously your new here! MOST here want that.

I am with you brother!

It to me is like those "Learn piano in 13 second" things on TV. Yea you get some notes out, but your not a musician really. The difference is obvious.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 01:49PM)
[quote]
On 2006-12-28 12:31, Jesse Gernigin wrote:
Ill second Dannydoyle on that. I am a certified hypnotherapist and I don't think hypnosis is something you play with like a party game.
[/quote]

Its not OK for me to use it at a party, but it is OK for you to use it on stage??? Sounds like a bit of a double standard here.
Ok here is the difference.

The stage is a controled environment, insurance covers those on a stage. Not at a party.

Like we said the "waking tests" make sense to do at a party, the deeper things, should be controled. No double standard, and if you knew the first thing about actual hypnosis you would see there is no double standard.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 02:01PM)
Sure there is. There is a kid the same age as me saying he is a CHT and saying that hypnosis should not be done at parties, yet he says he does it himself on his web page. Reads like a double standard to me.
Ok if you are talking about ME having a double standard, read any of my posts.

I am NOT a kid your age, I work 5 nights a week doing a hypnosis show.

So lets be clear. I don't think there is one thing wrong with doing the things at parties like the "abnormal lift" or finger locking or eyelid closure.

I think that when you get into deeper trance state things, it should be contained. To a stage or to an office, where there is things like insurance to cover if someone falls down and cracks their head.

Seems like one standard to me. You be the judge.
This is a horse which has been (and will continue to be) beaten long after its death.

I'll offer this . . . I personally went to a Post-Secondary School to study NLP, Group Mind Dynamics, the placebo effect and ecstatic states of consciousness. Granted, I was training to practice hypnotherapy; but I cannot and would not recommend someone who only has an hour worth of "training" to begin hypnotizing others. It is neither safe or responsible. Period.

Now, not everyone will come across problems right away, but it is a given that if you work long enough you will run into some heavy s***, and in this case; you are not qualified or experienced enough to handle it.

The greatest piece of advice I can give to anyone who seeks to perform hypnotic stage shows and demonstrations of altered states of consciousness IS TO GET PROFESSIONAL TRAINING. You are doing yourself and others a dis-service by not being properly trained before you attempt an induction and further hypnosis work.

What if someone said they were a Medical Doctor and yet had no schooling or practical experience. Would you allow this person to work with you? Of course not. Hypnosis is serious, and you deserve to be well trained.

Kind regards,
Jerome Finley.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 02:24PM)
I was not talking about you; your's was not the post I quoted. And I'm sure you're over 21! Much over 21. :)

BTW I'm certified too, I took Dr. Royle's course.
Dr Royle?

which Dr. Royle, and which course just out of curiosity.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 02:33PM)
Danny Doyle - Dr. Jonathan Royle.

TT2 - I've been playing doctor since I was 12 and never had a complaint. But I don't hypnotise people at parties, that would be irresponsible. (But dancing like a chicken would be funny.)
So he is a doctor now? Are you certain?
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 02:36PM)
If not, he plays one on the Internet.
Funy how it is not on his resume'.

You would think something like that would be a pretty big thing to put up on there when you are claiming to be one.
A long time ago I attempted to review Royle's stage hypnotism course. I actually couldn't finish it and sent it to a friend.

Royle is a man with very good talent and horrible judgement mixed with no common sense.

If you trained along his lines you really need to expand your education...his ideas will get you in trouble. He is embarassing to his subjects, risks injury to them in some of his recommendations (see his "falling back" induction) and seems to have no sense of what is appopriate and what is not.

Just my opinion....
Well it is an opinion from someone who took the course, so it can't be all bad.
When I was very young (16...a late start for music really) my girlfriends mother taught me how to play any chord, major or minor and I soon learned to add the 7th. I took just a few minutes to learn. ( I'll share if you own a keyboard :))
I still use the same method today (Decades Later)! In just a few minutes I was able to play any Major, Minor, or 7th chord.
Just because something doesn't take a long tome to learn doesn't mean that it's not VERY VALUABLE or should be QUESTIONED!
Actually Slim, did you start immediatly then playing professional gigs?

Good example, yes the "method" is not important but did you learn more? Your implication is that this is all you need.

THAT is simply incorrect. IF your saying it is one way to start the learning process, I have already agreed with you.
[quote]
On 2006-12-27 21:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have to question a one hour guide to almost anything.
[/quote]
I played my first money gig in less than a year. I was able to start writing my own material almost immediately (sp). Some of the things I wrote then are as creative as anything I've written since.
You CAN learn a great lesson in less than an hour. Don't question it :)
Right slim your always right.

Can you learn the nuances in an hour? Of course not.

But again your gonna claim you can so there ya go.

Everyone is brilliant. Everyone can learn in an hour. Yep your right.

Everyone who learns piano in an hour should book Carnaige hall the following night.

Your lack of respect for performance arts is really amazing. Glad to have you aboard.

It is no wonder nobody wants to take magic, mentalism and hypnosis seriously in the public. Thank you for illustrating the problem.
Why are you always slagging on me Danny? My "lack of respect for performance arts"....?????
You KNOW that I perform for at least 10,000 people a day durring this time of year. I don't think you can fit that many into a Mexican Cantina, now can you? :)
They are not there to see you Slim, get over yourself.
When they are there because of you, let me know.
Hey Danny where are you performing these days?
Here in Mexico Scott like it matters. Call Secrets Capri, ask about the hypnotist they use for their resorts.

Now what that has to do with the course I am not sure.
I'm letting you know then :)
My show is rated number one there and also at The House of Blues.
Just the facts...But why do you always slag me when you know I'm a performer?
Are you afraid that someone with performance skills could actually do what you do?
You are always so NEGATIVE. It's the Holidays. Have some fun!
I'm sure you have Tequila at your workplace. Have some!
Slim nobody is slaging you for being a performer.

You show a complete lack of respect for what it is that we do. It is sickening.

I WISH MORE GUYS WITH PERFORMANCE SKILLS WOULD DO THIS. It would elevate the bar for everyone.

You call being realistic, being negative. Everyone who disagrees with you is negative. Go figure.
Seems you disagree with almost everyone! THAT'S why I point out your negativity.
You continue to slag people you don't know. That's not good. Sorry about you being stuck outside the US, but that's not my fault. :)
This thread is about a cool book I found, but you just try to hijack it into a Slim King bashing expedition. Why? Are your insecurities bothering you?
You may have guessed that I've been asked to do a Hypnotism Show here in Orlando. Is that why you are attacking me?
Slim by all means read the book, learn in an hour, or 2 hours, please do all the shows you would like too.
As for stuck outside the US?

Are guys working cruise ships "stuck outside the US"? Hardly.

But hey you live in whatever dream world you wish. Good luck.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 06:51PM)
Mr. King, did you get to the age regression part of the book?
I know a bunch of performers on cruise ships and it's no picknick, I assure you. Still slagging me I see.....
I think that YOU are living in a Dream World if you think that living on a cruise ship doesn't SUCK!!!!!!
Most of my good friends fly on and off of the gig and only spend 36 to 48 hours each week outside the US. They don't have to live in Mexico to work.
So I guess YOU need to check the facts in this REAL WORLD.
I'm on chapter three :)
Slim your right. I am a nobody. Why bother with me?

As I said before, do all the shows you can. Please eleveate our idiotic side show further than anyone has before you. I am certain someone who has your skills is destined for greatness, I can only hope it is in our field.

Good luck.
Slim lets get one thing clear. NOBODY is slagging you ok? Put it back in your pants for a second.

I question ANY method for learning any art expression that you can learn in just an hour and BAM your doing shows. It can happen yea and yada yada but in general it is not a great thing.

I have NOT QUESTIONED your performance ability. NOT ONCE. I have said that the 10,000 people may be there for another reason, and YOU happen to be there. This is true, not a slag. It is reality.

IF you tell me that with 0 performance ability to begin with that you can learn a complete show and make money with it in an hour, I say that perhaps that is a bit ambitious. THAT IS NOT ME BASHING YOU.

Why is that so hard to accept?
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 07:14PM)
The cool stuff starts in chapter 6.
Stay away from the nerve method of induction in chapter 4.
It can be a killer.
My girlfriend wants me to get off of the computer....So think whatever you want about what's NOT in my pants :)
Bottom Line....
I doin' pretty good here in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nite
:cheers: :band: :dancing: :cheers: :cool: :cool:
Your right again Slim, anyone dong magic or performance outside the USA is a failure.
Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 08:45PM)
Its funny, you guys fight over stuff like this, yet a guy asked for help with self hypnosis, and all he got was less than helpful advice. "Do research," and "Aum."

Is that what this place is for, guys who know more than others to make fun of those who ask for advice? It is the impression I'm getting.

Do we need to know a secret handshake or something to not get slapped aroung?
Getting slapped around is the welcoming system in the hypnosis section. Ignore it and get on with your education. It just won't come from this forum. I got mine and went on to perform in spite of this forum. If you really want a place that is supportive of the beginner try http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com for that. It's not free but it will get you further than you'll get here.

Message: Posted by: Powers of the Mime (Dec 28, 2006 08:58PM)
It wasn't me I was talking about, it was this guy: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=191210&forum=22&3

I've got the best teacher money can't buy right here at home. But thank you for the advice.

Joe
It sounds like this book would be good for beginner's, but not something I would want to use as my only source to "go pro". After all, like in magic, studying how to do a few tricks doesn't make you ready to be the next Lance Burton or David Copperfield.

What I would like to know from all this posting is: Where does one go to learn hypnosis on a professional level, both for hypnotherapy and stage?
It sounds like this book would be good for beginner's, but not something I would want to use as my only source to "go pro". After all, like in magic, studying how to do a few tricks doesn't make you ready to be the next Lance Burton or David Copperfield.

What I would like to know from all this posting is: Where does one go to learn hypnosis on a professional level, both for hypnotherapy and stage?
[quote]
On 2006-12-28 21:54, MagicalPirate wrote:
Getting slapped around is the welcoming system in the hypnosis section. Ignore it and get on with your education. It just won't come from this forum. I got mine and went on to perform in spite of this forum. If you really want a place that is supportive of the beginner try http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com for that. It's not free but it will get you further than you'll get here.

[/quote]

Martin up till recently I would disagree completly.
NOT NOW!

Indeed the support they offer a beginner is worth the money spent. You know my history with the owner of the site, but I mean that sincerly.

ESPECIALLY when you consider the alternative.
Get a certification, get a mentor, get something that can direct you, not a paltry book (which I bought out of curiosity and am very dissappointed with). I do a lot of college and high school shows with hypnosis, I stay away from comedy clubs. There is no double standard for me, I got the training and put in the hours, unless you believed that I was saying just not to do it. By all means do it, it is fun and enlightening, just pick how you learn carefully. A fix-it book from home depot doesn't make you a contractor, the medical dictionary doesn't make you a doctor, so a party book on hypnosis shouldn't make you a hypnotist. And Slim, since your certified wouldn't you take offense at someone reading this book and considering themself a hypnotist?
Howdy y'all. It's been awhile since I've last posted. School's been hectic. I figured I'd drop in to share some thoughts here before finishing my essay.

I've grown to really respect Mr. Doyle and pretty all of the other serious performers of the art here. He's gotten me to delve further into the art, and despite my absence from this place I have become more acquainted with the topic and continue to learn. He's a great guy and knows what he's talking about. Not saying that we all agree with him, but still. ;)

As far as a one hour guide, well, all I can say is that for some things it may work. I've been teaching myself to play the piano for some years now, and chords aren't hard to learn. I worked through the major, minor, sus2, sus4, 6th, 7th (dim, min, maj, dom), diminished, augmented, 9th, 11th, 13th chords in all 12 keys in a matter of days. Then again, I couldn't possibly just know that the 13th degree of the Ab major scale is F without having a foundation in music theory (in this case, scale building). Even after you have your foundation and basic chords, you have to master them. You play them in all sorts of voicings and develop your style until you have it all down pat. Sooner or later you'll be playing incredible music. Sure you can play some simple progressions and whatnot, but in order to call yourself a true <i> musician </i> you must know more than that. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything about there being simple patterns, but there's also more to it. Interesting analogy, though :). Now, people all have their diferent ways of learning. We've all heard that one plenty of times. BUT we can't forget that there are also certain ways of learning things as well. If you want to learn how to <i> properly </i> earn the title of Stage Hypnotist, it takes a lot more than a 1-hour guide. Sure you can learn some things, maybe some decent information, but in terms of hypnosis I have to agree that it takes more than that. I'm not saying that it isn't a great <i> resource </i>, but it shouldn't be the only thing you refer to. I'm not saying that it's a terrible thing to you, Slim, in particular because I don't know what sort of studying you've done prior. I would assume that, with a stage show of your own, you're already pretty darn good. One-hour guides work for some things, but not for others. Plain and simple. If you want to learn how to play some chords on the piano, heck, you can do that in under an hour for sure. If you want to learn how to play <i>music</i> as a musician, it's going to take a lot more. I myself am constantly studying the topic and questioning people's ideas. I took the Royle course but even some of the things he says are absurd, I'm not going to lie. Is it a good start? Maybe. I've still got a bit of a way to go before I can reach any solid conclusions of my own that work for me. I will say that the more you research, the more you have to compare and learn from.

Once again, I'm not saying that this book is absolutely terrible. But to those of you just starting out, don't think you can put on a full hypnosis act from this one text. You can't, end of story. A couple of party tricks like the five-finger lift, but not a decent show. It's the truth and I felt dim-witted after my first talk with Mr. Doyle. If you're not going to take it seriously, do yourself and your potential audience a favor and put it off to the side until you have the willingness to learn in full. I don't want to sound harsh here, I'm terribly sorry if I do. I just don't want anybody else making the mistake.

Dan

P.S. Slim, this isn't an attack toward you. Sorry if it's mistakened as that. I just wanted to use your piano analogy to prove a point to others. :)
Daniel says
Sure you can play some simple progressions and whatnot, but in order to call yourself a true <i> musician </i> you must know more than that. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything about there being simple patterns, but there's also more to it. Interesting analogy, though :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I had a room mate who was very Arrogant also. (I'm not taking this as a personal attack) He used to say how you had to learn almost EVERYTHING before you could call yourself a Musician. He used to P.I.S.S. everyone off, especially the keyboard players in Orlando who work the Duelling Piano bars around here and Vegas. They don't use charts or music of any kind!
Stevie Ray Vaughan
didn't read music either. Was HE not a Musician.
You'd better re-think your position before you offend many people in your lifetime.....Like Mr. D.D. :)
I'm not attacking you either :)
Don't go to the Dark Side!
Hahaha, exactly. I tried to not specify reading music or anything. There are PLENTY of well-known musicians who couldn't read music for crap (especially blues/jazz players). But, there is definitely more to being a musician than learning a few chords. The popular chord style isn't just about block chords. Great stuff, though. Easier to pluck out by ear than single notes, too, which is a plus. lol But anyway...
The ones I find incredible are the musical savants. These are people who, without any training, can step up to a piano or some other instrument and be able to play instantly. Some of the most famous composers of classical music had this gift. There's even a savant in England that can only express himself through his piano.
Would you be referring to Derek....something? Can't quite remember his last name...