(Close Window)
Topic: Paul Harris mega DVD set - Any new info??
Hi Folks,

Just wondering what's happening with the mega DVD set Paul Harris is supposed to be working on. If I remember correctly it was due out any time soon. Last I knew MagicChris had some info, so if you're reading this maybe you could bring us all up to date.

Happy new year & a safe 2007!
Tim Trono's last update was October 15th:
"Just finished working with Paul Harris the last few days on his True Astonishment DVD series. This is going to be incredible... more news on that in the future. There are some incredibly exciting announcements on this coming along."

I'm anxiously looking forward to this set, as well!
I heard a certain young magic upstart with the initials A.M. has humbly made a contribution of one of his personal favorite previously unpublished impromptu effects to what will most assuredly be an awesome series.
I can't wait to see it Andrew! That must have been cool contributing to such a huge project! How many effect are on this DVD set that are new? I cant wait for this...

I need to go to bed. It looks like you and me are on the same schedule... haha
Yeah guys I'd also like very much to know when Paul Harris's new DVD set is coming out so if anyone has any information please share!
This is directly from Paul this morning...True Astonishments will be 9 dvd's grouped into 3 volumes. Each vol of 3 dvd's will be released separately as they
are ready and Paul is sure it's delivering of it's promise. They will also be offered as singles, too. Set is about $99 and singles at $35. With any luck the first volume will be out in August. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info Tom.
Total running time of the set is 4 hours 43 min.
August I can't wait that long. This is torture!!!! I can't wait any longer PLEASE PAUL COME SLEEP ON MY COUCH!!!
Sounds like a good deal to me.
Can't wait to see these.
9 DVD for $99? that's a bargain. Are the DVD all based on the 3 astronishment books?
(I am sorry if already mentioned earlier. I haven't go thru them one by one).
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 19:39, wise owl wrote:
9 DVD for $99? that's a bargain. Are the DVD all based on the 3 astronishment books?
[/quote]

I believe that it is $99.00 for each set of 3. 3 sets at $99.00 or $35.00 by them selves. $297.00 for the series? Not 9 DVDs for $99.00.
It is still great price!!

Are the DVD all based on the 3 astronishment books?
This will be a valuable set.
However, if you don't already own Paul's 'Art of Astonishment' book series, you're doing yourself a disservice.
These are a treasure trove of creative genius. I've had them for 10 years, since their initial release, and I still return to them regularly to discover something new.
If anyone's read the Eric Mead interview with PH in this month's issue of Magic Magazine, you'll see that PH tipped a couple more details on the True Astonishments project..

From the magazine...

"...nine DVDs of mostly new material I've been working sporadically on for nearly three years with Rodney Reyes and Wayne Houchin."

"The goal is to have a collection of original effects that are so strong that you could present any one of them and you would 'own the room' - that any one of the effects would stand on its own as a miracle moment. You do that one thing and that's enough - a 'True Astonishment,' as it were. The first three DVDs of the set will hopefully come out sometime in September."

So, good news for those of us who have been waiting on the edge of our seats for the past couple of years for these! Also, please do pick up the magazine. The interview with PH is a great read!

Kevin
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (May 29, 2007 05:50PM)
It will probably be $250 if you buy the whole set of 9 DVD's together. I hope there will be some completely new effects in the set! This will be amazing!
Must....get....job
Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the update (and the tip on buying this month's magic). That's great news, and a lot more information than I had before. I figured the set would be made up of new workings on the items in the 3 volume book set. GREAT to know that we can look forward to new material, and also great to know that Wayne Houchin is involved. I am officially beginning my savings fund in anticipation of September. :)
Are these all new effects or will some be taken from the Art of Astonishment books? Either I gotta get them!
I've been hearing about this for a long time. It sounds like a HUGE project.
Which issue of MAGIC Magazine is the Paul Harris Interview in??

"This Month" means May or June 2007??
June 2007. In the interview, Mr. Harris also said, among other interesting things, that in order to experience true astonishment, he wanted to see if he could live without money and to give away a lot of his own money to a total stranger to see how this would change the person and himself. Mr. Harris talks about how he tried living without money and about giving away his own money to a complete stranger. Interesting stuff I must say. He is certainly took a mystical/buddhist turn in his life.
I read the MAGIC article last night. Very interesting, and well-written by Eric Mead.

I found a copy of "Nice Girls Don't Explode" (DVD) on Amazon, which Paul wrote and Chuck Martinez directed. When I searched the Internet for Chuck Martinez, it listed several other movies he has directed, plus some of his acting credits ("Friends", "ER", a soap opera, and some low budget movies).

I've been a big PH fan since the late 70's, so I'm really looking forward to these DVDs along with everybody else.

Robert
Just as a heads up... the first 3 volumes of True Astonishments were planned to come out in September as noted above but AFTER the Magic Magazine article had gone to press the decision was made to hold off and put all 9 volumes out together at the same time (though they will be available separately when it finally appears). Any updates will be at http://www.trueastonihsments.com which will be live in about a week or two. Wayne Houchin is doing an INCREDIBLE job. I know the wait and extended releases suck but man oh man it will be worth the wait... what a TIGHT, strong set of DVDs, interviews, etc. I've been fortunate enough to see some of this and to see the layout and I can assure you it is incredible.

Tim Trono
Any tell on some of the effects?
[quote]
On 2007-05-30 19:18, Tim Trono wrote:

Just as a heads up... the first 3 volumes of True Astonishments were planned to come out in September as noted above but AFTER the Magic Magazine article had gone to press the decision was made to hold off and put all 9 volumes out together at the same time (though they will be available separately when it finally appears). Any updates will be at http://www.trueastonihsments.com which will be live in about a week or two. Wayne Houchin is doing an INCREDIBLE job. I know the wait and extended releases suck but man oh man it will be worth the wait... what a TIGHT, strong set of DVDs, interviews, etc. I've been fortunate enough to see some of this and to see the layout and I can assure you it is incredible.

Tim Trono
[/quote]

Thanks again for the updates, Tim. It's probably a good idea to release them all at once, but I guess this means, what?... Christmas 2007? That wouldn't be so bad.

BTW, I believe that the website address is mispelled in your post.

Robert
D'oh, I was all pumped for September! I was also looking forward to spacing out the purchases in small groups. Ah well, looks like the ol' plastic will be heating up when all 9 finally arrive!
Hi Robert. That time frame mentioned is close but this project has been so plagued with setbacks (though in the end this will result in a much stronger release) I think Paul is reluctant to give an dates now LOL. I think Paul wants to wait closer to release to give away any details on the effects.

Oops... http://www.trueastonishments.com - it probably won't show yet but thanks for the corrections. My apologies.

BTW... the Magic Magazine interview by Eric Mead is great. Check it out. I also just did a very different interview for Ted Brainard's (Kozmo) "Reel Magic Magazine" DVD which should probably be out in July.

In the mean time until True Astonishments comes out watch for UV Nightshades (see elsewhere on this board) by Paul, Mark Allen, and Joe Russell. Joe is just finishing up the DVD that goes with this.

Tim
Kevin, thanks also for the Magic Mag recommendation. I'd never purchased it before but bought it yesterday to read the Harris article. An excellent, refreshing piece that gives a window on Harris's personality and creative process. Also, I really liked the purely biographical elements -- just learning more about his background and his career.

The rest of the magazine wasn't bad either -- there were some good ideas in Joshua Jay's roundup of tricks, and while I'll never be able to accomplish any routine that Giacomo Bertini authors, it was cool to at least read about his technique.
Just found a Paul Harris Art of Astonishment DVD for sale online at an auction site... Is this a bootleg or scam? I thought the entire set was being released later this year... The effects listed are all old effects from Paul's Art of Astonishment book...

Michael
Hi Michael. There is a legitimate DVD entitled Art of Astonishment (as opposed to True Astonishments which is the upcoming set) which is conversion from a video produced by A-1 to DVD now owned by Murphy's. Thanks for checking.

Tim
Are these still scheduled for Sept?
According the theastonishmentproject.com website, we'll see these dvd's sometime in 2008.
Will all the DVDs come out at one go?
Yeah will they?
The 9 True Astonishments will be realeased all at once as a set...and will also be available as singles. Barring any more major disasters (and their have been many on this!) they will be out first quarter of 08.
Thanks, Tim! Obviously, a lot of people are looking forward to this.

Robert
Any news?
Last I heard from Paul (last week) they were still being worked on, but he refused to give a release date, based on previous dates given.

Tom
[quote]
On 2007-06-05 01:26, michaangelo wrote:
Just found a Paul Harris Art of Astonishment DVD for sale online at an auction site... Is this a bootleg or scam? I thought the entire set was being released later this year... The effects listed are all old effects from Paul's Art of Astonishment book...

Michael
[/quote]It's a legit video. I believe A1 released it quite a few years ago. I have it on tape somewhere. It isn't the True Astonishments DVD set PH is working on now though. Still, it's a very good video.
The Art Of Astonishment DVD has several effects taken from Art of Astonishment and is an official release.

True Astonishments will have mostly brand new effects and pieces of strange not in the Art of Astonishment book. Paul has revisited a few old favorites from the book and either completely reworked or improved them. All together the DVD's will have something like 60 new items.

Paul is working very hard on these DVD's to make them as good as they possibly can. His goal is for EVERY effect to be a reputation maker. No filler or one offs.

I personally can't wait to see the finished product. And the good news is it looks like it might actually be finished this year...unless of course Paul keeps creating new stuff...which is always a possibility....he just can't help himself...which works out really well for the rest of us :)
This is on my wishlist! :) I hope it's out soon..
My magic buddy hitch hiked across the country from New Jersey to find Paul Harris, and he succeeded this past week. Paul Harris gave a little bit of info on the effects on the DVD and when it'll be out, and the effects sound incredible. Supposedly, they're also all very easy. The effects I heard about sounded like the effects in AoA on steroids. One effect is even "real magic." I don't want to ruin what I heard because this information wasn't made public but I'm very very excited. The 9 DVD set will supposedly come out this June/July and will probably the end all of magic dvd sets.
Pretty much my only concern about this is the price. Hopefully it's available as single DVDs also, since I probably couldn't afford the entire set at once. I can't wait!
Hehe years of waiting. I hope it comes out this year :)
It will be worth the wait... :)
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jan 23, 2008 08:45PM)
Yeah, but I hope it's more than 5 tricks on each DVD.
[quote]
On 2008-01-23 21:45, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
Yeah, but I hope it's more than 5 tricks on each DVD.
[/quote]

Even if it is, each effect is supposedly going to be as good as any quality single effect dvd release out there. A few of them will even be on David Blaine's next special, supposedly. I also heard 50 effects were tossed out by Paul Harris because they were not good enough for this DVD set.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jan 28, 2008 08:09PM)
Well, I am always impressed by Paul's effects, even if it is one trick on each DVD!
There should be around 7 effects per DVD....
Hmm 7. I suppose that is a decent amount for useable effects.
Time to start saving for the set. =)
Are the sets gonna be "set" like Cards, coins, odd stuff, rings. Or just randomized like say the Daniel Garcia Project?
Wow, 7 Paul Harris effects per DVD. I'm speechless
And it is going to be on 9 dvds. That's a lot of effects. Start saving :)
7 effects, 9 dvds.

That's almost 17 fewer effects than in just the first volume of the Art of Astonishment book series.($45)

Just providing a little perspective.
Wayne Houchin mentions it on his new release Control. It looks like his invisible palm rouine might be on it.
Bill Malone *cough*
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jan 29, 2008 12:14PM)
Out of 63 effects, you will probably use a few of them. People would pay $500 for Torn Asunder for example, which is only one effect (well, there are a few phases). I think this is a great deal.
[quote]
On 2008-01-29 13:14, THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) wrote:
Out of 63 effects, you will probably use a few of them. People would pay $500 for Torn Asunder for example, which is only one effect (well, there are a few phases). I think this is a great deal.
[/quote]

More like nearly all of them
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jan 29, 2008 01:02PM)
Exactly.
So, these puppies should be out, April at the latest?
[quote]
On 2008-02-06 01:30, DVLKCC wrote:
So, these puppies should be out, April at the latest?
[/quote]

No, I don't believe anyone has mentioned anything about April. Although nothing is set in stone, I believe it's been mentioned to look for them around Fall/Winter of 2008.
That sounds about right...
Fall/Winter? What happened to Spring?

Paul Harris's "True Astonishments" is the Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" of magic.
Wow, I'm sure like 3 people got that.

BTW could not have said it better.
I got it!

Nathan
I heard these are going to ship when released!!!!!!
I await.. and wait some more.. and wait some more.. where are these dvd's!!!
Majestic12 hit it exactly. Paul doesn't want to give a date anymore as the
last bunch of dates have come and gone.
[quote]
On 2008-03-26 16:10, Exitmat wrote:
Fall/Winter? What happened to Spring?

Paul Harris's "True Astonishments" is the Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" of magic.
[/quote]

When the bootleg of "Chinese Democracy" was mmm, released for lack of a better word, they called it, "Ready When It Is Done."

Sound fitting. Still looking forward to both official releases. G&R and P&H

RevJohn
I will be getting a set of these much awaited dvds!

Chubster
Although no exact date can or will be set anytime soon, I can say that Paul is hard at work on these DVD's and pouring everything he's got into them. The material I've seen so far is all top notch...anyone looking for filler will be disappointed...
Penguin has a demo up for "paul Harris video set volume 4". I'm assuming this is part of this mega set?
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Apr 13, 2008 02:31AM)
That's an old video of his.
[quote]
On 2007-01-02 15:43, Magiguy wrote:
Tim Trono's last update was October 15th:
"Just finished working with Paul Harris the last few days on his True Astonishment DVD series. This is going to be incredible... more news on that in the future. There are some incredibly exciting announcements on this coming along."

I'm anxiously looking forward to this set, as well!
[/quote]

So are we...Look at the date of that post.. :) ..
LOL! ...And look at the date of mine. Either way, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! New Paul Harris Videos!
Wats the latest so far? can we expect a b4-mid-year release date?
Possibly, don't hold me to it, October release.....
[quote]
On 2008-04-18 00:36, Jason Messina wrote:
[/quote]

What year? :-P
Just kidding, I know it will be worth the wait
Wats the latest now?
When Paul is ready.
Hopefully it will come out before Christmas THIS year. :)
[quote]
On 2008-04-18 00:36, Jason Messina wrote:
[/quote]
That would be awesome.

I still can't understand why this project has taken so long, but I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait.
Jason,

Any word on this? Is it still a tenative October release?

Thanks.
There will be some also material on there, Ive seen Cheng Lin stuff which will be on there.

An impromtu Zapped and a visual sandwich effect which is an eye pleaser for sure.

SIX
UPDATE: True Astonishments will be available early 2009. Filming is wrapping up shortly....
Thank you Jason! Great news.
[quote]
On 2008-09-23 13:56, Jason Messina wrote:
UPDATE: True Astonishments will be available early 2009. Filming is wrapping up shortly....
[/quote]

I heard that filming is wrapping up and the set was about to be released back in 2006 or so =P. Anyways, looking forward to this, it's going to be a great set
I'm so excited for the release. Paul is my ultimate hero in magic, I love his books and every time I read them I just stumble accross new gems.. I'm starting to save now $300 for the set.. um what is that in my currency.. Might have to mortgage my house;) but it'l be worth it.
Early 2009? We are definitely getting our hands on it as soon as it is released.