(Close Window)
Topic: IPhone
It was all I could to stop from dancing with joy

Anyone else want one?

Derek Merdinyan
I DO! It looks like an awesome piece of technology. Almost like Star Trek material!
No. ATT VOIP here.
I just have a phone. It makes calls, that's it. No camera, no ringtones, no fancy LCD. Just a phone. I'm very happy with it and am rueing the day I have to replace it which unfortunately will be latter this year as Verizon is discontinueing my companies $10.00 a month plan.
I completely understand where you are coming from. A phone is a phone, and in this particular case the iPhone was poorly named. Yah, its commercial, but this isn't a phone...

The philosophy is to free up the pockets and bags. I carry a phone with me everywhere, an iPod half the time, and I am real into film making; the fact that it has internet on it is just overkill.

Some people want to bring all their things with them everywhere but its not practical, as a magician, even more so - (most of us) carry a deck of cards as well! Some people use phones to make calls, and that's cool too.

Derek Merdinyan
I want one...I just hope I don't break it as often as I have my various ipods :)
I don't listen to music much (I buy maybe one or two cd's a year) and watching video the size of a postage stamp has never appealed to me so I've never had much interest in getting an Ipod. I'd probably use a camera on a phone every once in a while so I might get one on my next phone.
What does it do that others can't ? Don't buy into the hype..oooh you can buy a pretty little pink bag to carry it in. Why would you want to watch TV on such a little screen wilst on the move..sad sad people need to get a life !!!get a hobby ..do some sport..kids I know, spend half their life on the things, texting people they have already spent the whole day at work with.

Rubbish !!

Howard
Howard of course already has an IPhone and just posted the above message in flight while pursing his hobby/sport of hang gliding. :)
I don't even own a basic cell phone. Maybe that makes me a bit of a luddite or something. :)

All I know is that it enables me to gleefully refer to people railing against the iPhone as hypocrites in my eyes, if they already own a cell. ;)
[quote]
On 2007-01-10 14:54, hkwiles wrote:
What does it do that others can't ? Don't buy into the hype..oooh you can buy a pretty little pink bag to carry it in. Why would you want to watch TV on such a little screen wilst on the move..sad sad people need to get a life !!!get a hobby ..do some sport..kids I know, spend half their life on the things, texting people they have already spent the whole day at work with.

Rubbish !!

Howard

[/quote]

You make me want one even more. :)
Just kidding. I couldn't afford the stupid thing anyway.
Bad Apple:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/10/D8MIN5CO0.html

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet-enabled phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the iPhone, its "game-changing" touch- screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.
No iPhone for me. Cingular has TERRIBLE coverage here. It's too bad they have an exclusive on it, at least for the time being.

That being said, I like it. I had a Handspring Visor PDA/phone that had a 320x320 screen and ran Palm apps. You could download and play free games, and it would sync your contacts, notes, and calendar with your computer. Best of all, the phonebook could dial your calls. But it only had about a 3-hour battery life, and it worked only with Sprint.

My current PDA, a Sony Clie, is also Palm-based, but it has a 320x480 screen like the iPhone, and you can watch videos on it just fine. It's a clamshell design, and includes a built-in 1.3 megapixel camera.

To me, the iPhone looks like it integrates the best of these two devices, which is what I've wanted for a long time.
Some of us have been waiting for this for so long, it's [url=http://www.pvponline.com/article/3075/tue-jan-09]provoked an extreme reaction[/url]. ;)
[quote]
On 2007-01-11 15:28, Scott Cram wrote:
Some of us have been waiting for this for so long, it's [url=http://www.pvponline.com/article/3075/tue-jan-09]provoked an extreme reaction[/url]. ;)
[/quote]

Its so true ;)

My only complaint is that (as of right now) it is only being offered with Cingular

Derek Merdinyan
Waste of money IMO.
I have a T-Mobile MDA Vario, it is a phone, MP3 player and Video player too, Internet access via GPRS and WiFi, a full qwerty keyboard for emailing etc. It has a built in Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It also runs TomTom Sat Nav.

Who needs an IPhone?
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 14, 2007 04:05PM)
I wonder what the guys who are poo-pooing the phone said about the internet before they experienced it. Probably something like:

"If I need information, I have an encyclopedia, the library, and the telephone. If I need to send something I have the post office. Television and the radio give me the news. Why would I need the internet?"

BTW My brother helped develop the camera on the iPhone. He didn't tell us, due to confidentiality. My mom's p***ed because she was looking for a good investment.
Ha! amen to the above...

that's cool that your brother worked on part of it. Any idea how it compares to the MacBook iSight cameras?

Derek Merdinyan
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 15, 2007 10:40AM)
No idea. I haven't talked with him about it yet.
Look people have ipods people have cellphones who in the right mind will spend this much for something they already have?
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 15, 2007 04:57PM)
Or a Walkman and a fanny-pack full of cassettes? I agree the intro price is high. As it is with all new technology. But they couldn't get by with the $500 price tag, and be the #1 noticed item at this year's tech show, if all it was was a iPod / cellphone combo.
Amazingly, the iPhone has been available for sale in Canada since 2004 (if not even earlier):

http://www.comwave.net/CDN/iPhone/faq.htm

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/20070115/comwave-takes-iphone-in-canada/
It's obvious the majority of posters on this thread do not know what this new iPhone looks like or does. It is a game-changer. It is the first generation of a combination cell phone, music player, video player and internet browser (that's right, browse the internet at the coffeeshop without need of your laptop).

The screen is 3.5 inches, not the size of a postage stamp. You manipulate information on it using a new type of touch-screen technology that looks like magic. For example, to scroll through your list of contacts, you can either drag the list down with your finger as you might imagine, or you can flick your finger down the screen, making the list move quickly as if it were a virtual rolodex. You can re-size a photograph on the screen by using your thumb and first finger, in a diagonal motion. It is amazing-looking, and I guarantee some tech-savvy magicians are going to come up with some very cool tricks to do on this thing. It has only one external button, so the blackberry-type functions are mimicked by using a virtual keyboard. In sum, it is the typical Apple elegance and superb industrial design that Apple's fans have come to know and love. And I guarantee that almost everyone who sees it in person is going to secretly lust for one.
I'm certain it's a wonderful thing. It's also w a y too expensive for me. I am never going to be able to afford one so it's not in my cards.

That's just not going to bother me all that much.
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 19:11, Merenkov wrote:
It is amazing-looking, and I guarantee some tech-savvy magicians are going to come up with some very cool tricks to do on this thing. [/quote]

I already have lots of ideas bouncing through my head :) Since you can scroll through pictures by touching (or flicking) the side of a picture, you could simulate some interesting color changes.

Derek Merdinyan
The iPhone will be one of the first mobile devices to feature multi-touch input technology. I just ran across this video demonstrating the possibilities of multi-touch input technology. It looks like magic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc
Say what you want, but that is some great technology...that will be the new interface for all new electronics
[quote]
On 2007-01-23 13:30, MAKMagic wrote:
Say what you want, but that is some great technology...that will be the new interface for all new electronics

[/quote]

Maybe for Apple products - they patented it.

Derek Merdinyan
This is an incredible product!

You can watch a 20 minute intro to the iPhone on youtube....

Part one
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XpXmWpZmMRs&mode=related&search=

Part two
http://youtube.com/watch?v=s-goZmsS_lE&mode=user&search=

Part three
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Vtu914wUI&mode=related&search=

So much more than a phone!
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 27, 2007 12:55AM)
I want one . . .
I think I want the second generation of the iPhone.
I plan on getting a Skype phone but first I am doing my homework and making sure that it will work as good as my Skype does on my Laptop.

I pay $30.00 a year for unlimited phone calls to any landline phone in the 50 States, Canada and Mexico. The sound quality is a little better than my regular landline phone and much better than any cell phone I have used.
The Skype phone is Wi-Fi but my understanding is it won't work with all carrier's of Wi-Fi. I don't know why this would be so but I think as Wi-Fi phones become more popular this problem will go away. I remember when cell phones were new, coverage was very meek as well but due to cell phones growing popularity most of the country is covered.

Anyone not familiar with Skype but want to try it out for FREE just go to http://www.skype.com for the download of the program and you can talk to anyone else who has Skype on their computer. Talking computer to computer is always free with Skype but to call landline phones will cost you money.
Many times Skype will have a free offer to call any landline phone for ten minutes just so you can see if you might be interested in making the purchase.

$30.00 a year for unlimited calls (no minutes to lose or rollover) sure beats the cost of a cell phone.
Iven :patty:
If you want to make phone calls, then the Skype thing sounds like a good deal.

If you are looking at an iPhone just as a cell phone, then you probably don't want one.
How much does it cost to buy? How much does it cost to use?
[quote]
On 2007-06-27 09:23, Al Angello wrote:
How much does it cost to buy? How much does it cost to use?
[/quote]

$499 for the 4 GB model
$599 for the 8 GB model

Pricing Info: http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

As for Skype, Andrew Mayne wrote up an interesting article the other day about the usefulness of Skype for magicians: http://itricks.com/magiczine/archives/371

Derek Merdinyan
Apple now has a [url=http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html]guided iPhone tour[/url] on their site. If anyone is confused about it, this will help clear it up.

If you liked the [url=http://www.pvponline.com/article/3075/tue-jan-09]iPhone comic strip I posted earlier[/url], they brought up the storyline the day after father's day. [url=http://www.pvponline.com/article/3381/mon-jun-18]Start reading here[/url], and keep clicking the right arrows and reading the strips until you get to the current one.

Oh, and check out [url=http://www.pvponline.com/images/wallpaper/ibrent_1900x1200.jpg]this 1900 by 1200 JPEG picture[/url] if you want a great wallpaper to help celebrate the release of the iPhone.
Thanks Derek for the article link. One little correction to the article.
Skype is not audio only but is also video if you have a webcam and choose to use that tool. I don't know if webcam's can be used with conference calls.
I don't pay $5.00 a month for my Skypeout number, I pay $30.00 a year but that might be because I got my Skype number early when they were running a special but $5.00 a month is still cheaper than Vonage and all the other phones out there.
when the writer say's that Skype sounds even better than a regular phone, he is right on the mark.
OK You can buy one for from $500 to $700, but what is the monthly bill after you shell out the purchase price?
Mr. Angello - There's no $700 model (yet... haha) pricing plans are available on the site http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Irossall - Send Andrew Mayne your clarifications, he wrote the article. Video conferencing is possible on iChat, but I'm not sure I'm not sure about Skype, never tried it.

Derek Merdinyan
[quote]

Rubbish !!

Howard

[/quote]

Rubbish? Hardly. You don't have to like technology, but this thing is an amazing advancement in mobile telephones/computing.

The nay sayers will always exist. I remember people crapping on the first cordless phones, the first computers, CDs, etc etc etc.

Frankly, if you wanna talk to your friends via two tin cans and a string while you flip through the card catalogue, whittling your own furniture with a stone knife...go ahead. I'm gonna make my calls with style dammit. ;)
Derek perhaps I did not have my reading glasses on when I first read your original post, ah yes the numbers are coming into focus now. Please call me Al, we are all the same here. Now how much does that $600 model cost to use per month?
[quote]
On 2007-01-12 05:59, Joey Stalin wrote:
Waste of money IMO.
[/quote]
Irossall: I pulled all my facts from the Skype site. Skype currently only does video between two people and doesn't offer video conferencing (although I wish it did). If that ever changes, I have another article on ideas on utilizing that. There's a little issue of how the Skype network works (nodal peers) that might make it problematic (but not insurmountable).

The $60 price is what the rest of us schmoes have to pay for a phone number on Skype (still a great deal).

BTW on the iPhone: The unlimited data plan for the iPhone basically adds $20 to your voice plan.
The whole idea of the iPhone is to be the first phone to make all the features easy to use and be self-discoverable, much like the rest of Apple's products. This may not sound like much, but Apple was very late to the MP3-player market, yet managed to capture 70-80% of the market with this same philosophy.

Apple's been working on this longer than you can imagine. When OS X was first developed, its most important and underrated feature was that it was portable. In other words, there are only minor external adjustments you have to make to be able to put OS X on just about any hardware. Switching to Intel chips? Just some simple adjustments. Putting it on an iPhone? Again, just some simple adjustments. Putting [url=http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/06/28/internal-apple-stevenote-iphone-ipods-with-os-x-and-off-the-charts-macs-in-the-pipeline]OS X on the upcoming iPods[/url]? Even simpler, after putting it on the iPhone.

Regardless of what you think of the iPhone, the real news is that you're only seeing the top 1/10th of the iceberg.
I switched to Apple because of OS X.

Those of us that have heard the siren song of the iPhone and plan on being the early adopters get to be the guinea pigs for everyone else. All the other cell phone manufacturers are watching closely and basing their future designs on how this turns out.

As far as the price is concerned, it has the same retail price at launch as the RAZR had. I passed on the RAZR because it didn't do much else besides look cool. The iPhone's ability to do real web on a WiFi network on a large handheld screen is more than enough justification for me to get one.

I don't drink, gamble or smoke. Apple gadgets are my vice of choice.
[quote]
On 2007-06-28 20:20, andrewmayne wrote:
Irossall: I pulled all my facts from the Skype site. Skype currently only does video between two people and doesn't offer video conferencing (although I wish it did). If that ever changes, I have another article on ideas on utilizing that. There's a little issue of how the Skype network works (nodal peers) that might make it problematic (but not insurmountable).

The $60 price is what the rest of us schmoes have to pay for a phone number on Skype (still a great deal).

BTW on the iPhone: The unlimited data plan for the iPhone basically adds $20 to your voice plan.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification and the great article you wrote.
I may have to pay $60.00 when my first year is up but as you said "still a great deal".
I must now get back to researching the portable Wi-Fi Skype phone to see if it will do what I want.
For those who are considering an iPhone, here are [url=http://consumerist.com/consumer/apple/6-ways-to-cancel-any-cellphone-so-you-can-get-an-iphone-272305.php]6 ways you can cancel any cellphone contract, so that you can get your iPhone[/url] (some more viable than others).
So....did anybody get one yet?

How about a review?
Some good sites to keep up-to-date on all the iPhone happenings, including reviews, scratch tests, etc are http://www.tuaw.com and http://www.engadget.com

I spent about 10 minutes in the 5th Ave Apple Cube today messing with an iPhone. Very sleek and sexy, and works just as advertised. Definitely drool-worthy.

For a variety of reasons, I'm waiting for version 2 (whenever that may be), but I still this this is a freakin' great device.

Kevin
I have one. It's awesome. I was able to use Edge to surf the web sitting at the bar at a PF Changs and not go crazy waiting for things to download (I had a 145kbit connection and could watch YouTube). On WiFi it screams.

It works great with Google Reader for doing RSS - worth the price alone. I also like listening to podcasts on its speaker. I could go on...

I've got a long wish list for it, but I'm unequivocally happy about it.

Andrew

PS
I went by the Apple store in Fort Lauderdale to pick up a case and they were sold out of all models of the iPhone.
It looks awesome. With that said, I have heard that the touch screen is easily confused for the keyboard function, and that many users who are used to texting will have issues if they don't lift their fingers completely off the keyboard before typing the next letter. So, as cool as it is...there will be people who are dissapointed with it. For me, I think I would be happier with an HP pocket PC and an IPOD. I don't actually want one device that does everything, or I would be completely lost if it broke.
Kevin,

I'm interested why you are waiting for version 2?

For the bugs to be worked out?
More gig?
Better price?

My biggest concern is the gig space. I would love one that had 80 gig....8 just doesn't seem like much for keeping video, music, and photos.
Yeah, I'm not currently itching to pay $60 for a new 2-year phone contract, and will wait for more features, greater capacity, and a lower price.

I think this is a great device, and if I had lots of money to burn, I'd pick one up.

A new Macbook Pro is higher on the priority list than an iPhone though.

Let's look at it this way: It was only 5.5 years ago that the iPod first came out. It was $500, and had a 5GB hard drive. Today, for that same $500, you get the 4GB iPhone, with so many more features than the original iPod. Also, for about $250, you can get an 8GB iPod Nano, which also has a ton of features not found on the original iPod, and for only half the price.

Also, while I've not heard of any major bugs yet, I'd just as soon let any early adopters find them so they can be fixed for me when I get around to picking one up.

I can only imagine where we'll be 5 years down the line...

Kevin
Macro already has his pimped out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIU2fV_ZuHw
[quote]
On 2007-06-28 16:29, pghdude80 wrote:
[quote]

Rubbish !!

Howard

[/quote]

Rubbish? Hardly. You don't have to like technology, but this thing is an amazing advancement in mobile telephones/computing.

The nay sayers will always exist. I remember people crapping on the first cordless phones, the first computers, CDs, etc etc etc.

Frankly, if you wanna talk to your friends via two tin cans and a string while you flip through the card catalogue, whittling your own furniture with a stone knife...go ahead. I'm gonna make my calls with style dammit. ;)
[/quote]

What exactly makes this such an 'amazing advancement in mobile telephones/computing' as you put it? What can this device do that other existing phones cannot already do? I have a whole laundry list of things it cannot do as an enterprise network consultant that makes the iPhone a huge waste of money, but have yet to find anything aside from the 'cool' factor of having a massive touch screen smartphone. Keep in mind you are surfing the web with old technology on this phone. With no 3G support you are surfing the web at less than half the speed of most people with half a brain to stay away from the first model of this phone.

--Jim
[quote]
On 2007-01-10 15:43, Eddie Garland wrote:
Howard of course already has an IPhone and just posted the above message in flight while pursing his hobby/sport of hang gliding. :)
[/quote]

Just asking...

Isn't Hell's Kitchen NORTH actually the start of Restaurant row, the Theatre district or even Times Square?

Also, do you know why it's called [i]Hell's Kitchen[/i]?
Here's a couple of interesting sites concerning this discussion:

Michael Kovatch recently made a nice chunk of change by selling a domain he first purchased in 1995...[url=http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/07/iphone-now-owned-by-apple/]iphone.com[/url]!

Check out this video of the [url=http://www.stupidiphonelady.com/]stupid iPhone lady[/url].

What can the iPhone do that other cell phones can't? [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcB8CKa73B0]Marco Tempest[/url] demonstrates some little-known iPhone features! ;)
I'm just looking forward to a phone that is designed for fingers instead of thumbs.
I hear the thing only gets 5 hours of battery life on pure audio. Any truth to that?
You can see Apple's estimates for battery life here... http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Every review I've seen has said Apple's estimates are quite accurate, with some people experiencing even better results. Quite good if you ask me..

Kevin
[quote]
On 2007-07-06 08:19, jimbowmanjr wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-06-28 16:29, pghdude80 wrote:
[quote]

Rubbish !!

Howard

[/quote]

[/quote]

What exactly makes this such an 'amazing advancement in mobile telephones/computing' as you put it? What can this device do that other existing phones cannot already do? I have a whole laundry list of things it cannot do as an enterprise network consultant that makes the iPhone a huge waste of money, but have yet to find anything aside from the 'cool' factor of having a massive touch screen smartphone. Keep in mind you are surfing the web with old technology on this phone. With no 3G support you are surfing the web at less than half the speed of most people with half a brain to stay away from the first model of this phone.

--Jim
[/quote]

I agree it doesn't use any new technology. Apple does what they always do, they make things look nice and work like they advertise. There are so many phones on the market that never do what they say they will. There is always a problem with syncing or something. The Iphone has no problems what so ever. I know there are several features people want but most of them can be added via a firmware update. In my opinion the only drawback is the edge network but I can always find an open hotspot to hook up to. The edge network still connects at around 200k, which isn't bad for minor things.

Apple came into the mp3 business when there were already several mp3 players, but they managed to bring a product in and take over the market. I think they will do that again with the cell phone industry. They will come in to the market where 100's of smart phones already exist but they bring a product that does what is says it will do and is fun to use.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jul 14, 2007 01:22PM)
Well I just saw one. My buddy has an iPhone. He loves it. Super intuitive. I could see the display in sunlight. Works just like the demos. The only drawbacks he saw is the camera lens doesn't zoom, and there isn't a flash. It also doesn't do video recording yet. The service charges are out of line, otherwise I'd seriously consider it.
I got the iphone this week,and I pay the Hottrix.com to download, is just only coast $3 buck.
check this out the
iMunchies--Virtual Popcorns!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFTN4JskYc
iBeer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MfQIswl3k
Hey Tommy (and other iPhone users... and folks who visit The Apple Store or know a friend with an iPhone)

Check this out:
http://www.itricks.com/iphone/

Derek Merdinyan
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jul 25, 2007 06:42PM)
I am waiting to see how this will evolve . . fascinating
IPhone news of the day:

NEW YORK (AP) - A 17-year-old hacker has broken the lock that ties Apple's iPhone to AT&T's wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., confirmed Friday that he had unlocked an iPhone and was using it on T-Mobile's network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology. In a video posted to his blog, he holds an iPhone that displays "T-Mobile" as the carrier.

While the possibility of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile may not be a major development for U.S. consumers, it opens up the iPhone for use on the networks of overseas carriers.

"That's the big thing," said Hotz, in a phone interview from his home.

The phone, which combines an innovative touch-screen interface with the media-playing abilities of the iPod, is sold only in the U.S.

AT&T Inc. spokesman Mark Siegel said the company had no comment, and referred questions to Apple. A call to Apple was not immediately returned. Hotz said the companies had not been in touch with him.

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday to his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes him about two hours to perform. Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz said. "I don't want people making money off this."

He said he wished he could make the instructions simpler, so users could modify the phones themselves.

"But that's the simplest I could make them," Hotz said. The next step, he said, would be for someone to develop a way to unlock the phone using only software.

The iPhone has already been made to work on overseas networks using another method, which involves copying information from the Subscriber Identity Module, a small card with a chip that identifies a subscriber to the cell-phone network.

The SIM-chip method does not require any soldering, but does requires special equipment, and it doesn't unlock the phone—each new SIM chip has to be reprogrammed for use on a particular iPhone.

Both hacks leave intact the iPhone's many functions, including a built-in camera and the ability to access Wi-Fi networks. The only thing that won't work is the "visual voicemail" feature, which shows voice messages as if they were incoming e-mail.

Since the details of both hacks are public, Apple may be able to modify the iPhone production line to make new phones invulnerable. The company has said it plans to introduce the phone in Europe this year, but it hasn't set a date or identified carriers.

There is apparently no U.S. law against unlocking cell phones. Last year, the Library of Congress specifically excluded cell-phone unlocking from coverage under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Among other things, the law has been used to prosecute people who modify game consoles to play a wider variety of games.

Hotz collaborated online with four other people, two of them in Russia, to develop the unlocking process.

"Then there are two guys who I think are somewhere U.S.-side," Hotz said. He knows them only by their online handles.

Hotz himself spent about 500 hours on the project since the iPhone went on sale on June 29. On Thursday, he put the unlocked iPhone up for sale on eBay, where the high bid was above $2,000 midday Friday. The model, with 4 gigabytes of memory, sells for $499 new.

"Some of my friends think I wasted my summer but I think it was worth it," he told The Record of Bergen County, which reported Hotz's hack Friday.

Hotz heads for college on Saturday. He plans to major in neuroscience—or "hacking the brain!" as he put it to the newspaper—at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Great news yesterday!

The iPhones had a price drop of $200.....so you can now get an 8 gig for $399.