(Close Window)
Topic: Mixed Emotions by Rick Maue
Hi guys, anyone know anything about this this new effect by Rick Maue?
This has just appeared on Hocus Pocus and sounds interesting :jump:

I know from past purchases, all of Rick's products are pure genius ESPecially
' FATE '

Any reviews or info on this?
Absolutely great.

John B. Born
Hey John! Could you be more explicit???
[quote]
On 2007-01-15 15:39, John Born wrote:
Absolutely great.

John B. Born
[/quote]
Greetings,

Since Mixed Emotions is my new release, I cannot say much too about it. But since we have been having some problems uploading to our website, I will at least give you a basic idea of what the effect is. I don't want this to sound like a blatant plug, but at the moment, no one (including us) has a detailed description of the routine online and I want people to know what they may be purchasing.

So imagine this…

The performer hands five jumbo cards--each containing a brief description of a different human emotion--to a volunteer from the audience. The performer then walks to the far end of the room (or even to the very back of theater) as the volunteer shuffles the cards, selects one of the emotions, concentrates upon it, returns it to the pack, and then thoroughly shuffles everything once again.

Next, five other audience members are selected by the volunteer, and each one of the five comes forward to take one of the facedown emotions. Keeping the faces of the cards hidden, they return to the audience and stand at their seats. Rejoining the original volunteer at the front of the room, the performer begins to concentrate on the thoughts of everyone involved. One at a time, he eliminates four of the audience participants by having them sit down--thus leaving just one person standing in the audience and the original volunteer at his side.

The performer asks the original volunteer to name the emotion that she in concentrating on--which she does--and it matches the exact emotion that the remaining audience participant is holding.

You can successfully read the thoughts of six different people, without touching anything.

No sleight-of-hand — No peeks or glimpses — No pumping — No advance preparation — No pre-show — No secret assistants — No forces — No confederates — No equivoque — No marked cards — No one-ahead — No need to touch anything during the effect

Everything can be examined at the beginning, the middle, and the end of the routine--because there is never anything to find.

*Special Jumbo Emotion Cards Included*

If anyone has any questions, give us a yell because we finally have Mixed Emotions in stock.

Thanks very much.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
I am currently working with this effect, and all I can say is that the thinking behind it is fantastic (as with all of Rick's products). I am working on a script for the effect at the moment, and I am really happy with the way this is turning out. Thank you for releasing another wonderful creation, Rick!

Best regards,

Karl Miller
Can you make an adaptation of this routine in French.???
[quote]
On 2007-01-16 19:40, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Can you make an adaptation of this routine in French.???
[/quote]
Or in German? ;)

Or is it also possible to rebuild it without any problems in German by myself?
I got to see this as one of Rick's lectures last year, and it is a fine, fine piece of work. The process is exactly as Rick described; he didn't leave anything out. The method, as with most of Rick's stuff, is ingeniously, forehead-smackingly simple. And the effect is as good as your performance skills can make it. Now that this is available, I'll definitely be getting it.
Greetings once again,

First off, thanks to everybody for all the nice words.

In regard to the questions about other languages, the five jumbo emotion cards that are supplied are in English, but you could certainly make other ones for performances in French, German, etc...

As for the routine, and the method, neither would have to be changed at all. You would simply need new cards.

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Keep the change,
Rick
Would this effect be good for doing with a small group, i.e. at a dinner party or is too big an effect for that? Also what is the difficulty level? Thanks.
I too agree this is a terrific effect. I purchased it sight unseen from Rick at last November's Mindvention.

It is suitable for small groups or large and as someone said earlier, it is "fore-head slappingly simple", but worked out to perfection. That is what makes the method so clean and deceiving.
Thanks RC4MAG! I appreciate your help.
I have seen Rick do this effect a number of times, and it is terrific. So simple and the presentation is wonderful. I can't wait to get my hands on a set for myself.

Adam
Very interesting. Does each card contain a different emotion?

Thanks
[quote]
On 2007-01-24 03:22, Candini wrote:
Very interesting. Does each card contain a different emotion?

Thanks
[/quote]

Yes!
I have this, and it is another clever piece of performance framework from the fertile mind of Rick Maue! (and we all know what fertilizer is made of) The opportunities to play this in many different directions is what a performer can build originality with.

This is an absolute given for Valentine's Day, not to mention that involving emotions is a good way to personally connect with an audience.

Bravo Rick!
I think it sounds fantastic, excellent work Rick. I'll be sure to pick this up!

Simon
I really like this. Great thinking.
Brilliant! Best "little bit of money" spent for a brilliant routine. There is so much you can do with this. Not just the things you get but the idea!

Brilliant! Don't pass it up. I laughed when I read the script. It's brilliant.

You can ask all the questions you want but you will simply prolong the inevitable--your purchase!

What more can I say? ... Brilliant!

John
100% agreed.... perfect piece of mentalism with a lot of room for adaptation and routining...

Briliant thinking by Rick..

My best buy of 2007 thus far
Any distant relative of KIOKU involved?
This will be great as I am a therapist and can incorporate it in my practice. Is it any less amazing to do it to a person one on one if I wince in pain and work like it's really hard to do, LOL?
Can I ask, is there any possibility for adaption to the effect, to make for a DR type effect. I am thinking of a variation of reminiscence potentially here.

Simon
Bermini, no. Completely different from Kioku.

Cheers,
Al
[quote]
On 2007-02-01 15:50, BERMINI wrote:
Any distant relative of KIOKU involved?
[/quote]

No! none.

J
[quote]
On 2007-02-01 23:02, MagicBrent wrote:
This will be great as I am a therapist and can incorporate it in my practice. Is it any less amazing to do it to a person one on one if I wince in pain and work like it's really hard to do, LOL?
[/quote]

I suppose you could do it one on one. It's not designed that way and wouldn't have as much impact.

J
Can anyone tell me if this effect can be adapted for walk-around by making your own smaller-sized cards or a variation thereof?

-Jared
You can use smaller size, but depends on how far you are with your audience.
I disagree; if you're doing it close-up, you've lost the most convincing aspect of the effect, namely that you're far away from the cards as all the selections are made. If you're standing right there at the table, the audience will logically suspect that you're using gaffed cards (which you're not.)

The elegance of the presentation is lost if you're too close. And smaller cards won't help the effect either if you think it through.
I perform this close up using cards I adapted myself, the 'Emotion' part is still there only, I use scenes from movies all can relate to. My cards are around the size of poker cards for less pocket space and at the right moment I can still walk away a few feet. I have had no problems up to now with the card size although I can see how this is a possible problem.
A great release by Rick, simple and mindblowing.
Just received Rick's "Mixed Emotions." I suppose using poker size cards is fine for walk-around or one-on-one situations; however, the cards provided will still fit quite nicely in a jacket (business suit or sport coat) pocket and IMO make the effect play much better in even a walk-around or table-to-table performance (assuming that you can engage the requisite number of participants) even though it is clearly designed/intended for a stage/platform/cabaret presentation which is where it would achieve maximum impact. While it could be adapted for close-up or one-on-one situations IMO doing so would fail to take advantage of the full potential of what is a real "killer" effect.
Technically the answer is yes you can perform this closeup if you want.

J
Can someone advise whether the initial participant freely selects one of the 5 emotions of his/her choice or whether the selection is made without knowing which emotion is being selected. Thanks.