(Close Window)
Topic: Jay Sankey's Hundred Dollar Miracles
As the title suggests, Sankey has a new dvd out titled Hundred Dollar Miracles. You can check out a video demo over at his site [url=www.sankeymagic.com]SankeyMagic[/url]. I was just curious what you guys think about this? I'll keep my opinion to myself until after anyone else has put in their opinion. I do not own it of course, and I do not expect anyone to begin giving "reviews" on the dvd before you've seen it (let's not have it turn into that kind of a thread). I'm just looking for general observations on what we can expect from the dvd, I suppose. So comment away!
Speaking from a marketing perspective, the demo video doesn't do a great job of selling it. But I can understand the reluctance to show any actual routines, since the method behind them all is already known.
Hello BrianMillerMagic and ryesteve.
I recommend the book: SWITCH - Unfolding The $100 Bill Change by John Lovick
In this book are so incredibly good ideas and routines.
With something one can consider wide effect invent.
This book is the insanity.
Instead of bank notes one can transform also described or paper with sketches.
Indeed, the book is a more loyal, however, for what agrees one it is absolutely justified.
Not another Jay Sankey DVD!

He puts a new one out every few months, and it shows in his tricks.
His first DVDs were good, because they were tricks you might actually do, but now he's just creating c-list effects that nobody in their right mind would do.

And please, stop with the folded up note in the TT switch tricks.

Jay Sankey WAS a good magician, but now he's just putting as many DVDs out there to make a quick buck. He needs to slow down and release a quality DVD to get his name back up in the ratings.

They say its quality, not quantity that sells.

ku7uk
I just question one thing...

If a magician is literally releasing a new DVD or effect, every month or so - then when is he actually out there performing these effects to test them out? Is Sankey doing any paid performances and actually using all of the stuff he is releasing? Or is he just coming up with untested effects to fill a new DVD?

I know we shouldn't form opinions without seeing the item or work in question, but can we really be faulted at this point for doing so? I will admit that I have pre-conceived negative opinions on anything Sankey releases. Normally I am very open and reserve judgement, but not in this case and not with Sankey.
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 05:20, Marc Frese wrote:
Hello BrianMillerMagic and ryesteve.
I recommend the book: SWITCH - Unfolding The $100 Bill Change by John Lovick
[/quote]

Marc, I appreciate your recommendation but I wasn't looking to learn the bill switch. I've know and performed the hundred dollar bill switch for many years. I was simply wondering what others thought about this new release from Sankey.

My personal opinion is similar to other: Sankey puts out too many products too quickly now and it does show in the quality of the effects. Many effects are straight variations or often duplicates of effects that he's previously released. I do not think that this dvd will "become the bible of the bill switch" or whatever it said on his site. You don't even need to know that many routines using the bill switch. Knowing one or two really well is much better than trying to learn a thousand of them.

Having said that, Sankey still has a product on the market through Elmwood Magic called The Ultimate Bill Switch Kit. While it doesn't do a great job explaining the bill switch, it is very nice if you already know it. It includes the materials to perform three very cool bill switch routines that don't use real dollar bills. I highly recommend it. You can find it [url=https://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-Tricks-Magic-Books-Magic-DVDs-Ultimate-Bill-Switch-Kit-Jay-Sankey__1126.htm]here[/url].
Jay has been putting out a lot of stuff lately. More than usual. However, I think most of the effects on this dvd are re-releases of some of his older bill switch routines. And he's had some great, off beat applications. He actually gave out a trick in his newletter about a year ago which was a three phase time travel bill switch routine using steno paper. It was fantastic. I couldn't believe he was tipping it in his newsletter. Hopefully that will be on the disc.

I haven't purchased any of his new products (how can you keep up?) but I might check this one out.
I suppose you can't quite expect 'ground-breaking' material anymore from Sankey, those days were long past back when Paperclipped came out.

But with that in mind, I think we should view this DVD as a source of inspiration for what else we can do with the sacred TT. I feel a lot of us, myself included, underuse our TT.

If we view Sakney's new DVDs with the mindset that they're just ideas and not full-flexed, solid, go-outside-and-perform-it-in-your-show routines, then we'd save ourselves a lot of grief...and if we were to perchance upon a stellar item in the DVD, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Take care guys,

Logan
This [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=99&forum=3] link[/url] is worth revisiting...
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 21:35, evolve629 wrote:
This [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=99&forum=3] link[/url] is worth revisiting...
[/quote]

Evolve, great link. Mr. Wakeman's comments were very interesting on the history.

Thanks!!

Chris
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jan 20, 2007 04:55AM)
Thanks Evolve, as for Sankey - why not milk the market as long as it is possible?
Hi Evolve,

I've read many of your comments and posts here on the Café, but never directly replied. So first of I would like to say "Hi" and what a great link on the bill switch. I have only just started to use it (and my TT in general) and the history surrounding the switch really is quite intersting.

Thanks
Chris
Back on topic (sorry folks)...well Brian, I love Sankeys DVD's like Secret files, Very best of JS and front row Sankey. I really am liking more possiblities for the bill switch, and who know this DVD just might have a hidden gem on it to take and work into a routine. For the time being I will hang back and wait for some reviews to come in.
I don't do a lot of children magic, but I do an effect in a restaurant where I show a drawing from a coloring book, a child waves his crayon over the drawing, and it is partially colored. The child can then finish coloring it. It appears as though Jay has something very similar on his dvd's.

XX
So, no reviews?... :) ..
Jay should have shown at least one rotuine on the demo. The super speed multi effects in a row didn't do much for me.

There could be a gem on this, but I'd have to have someone I respect tell this DVD is worth it.
Hi MagicChris,

If you hear anything, then let us know.

Cheers
Chris
Would you say that regarding this effect in particular it is "easier" to learn it from a DVD (video) than from a book since the actual moves/sleights, timing, and angles can be seen in more detail in dvd/video than from drawings or photographs in a book?

Michael
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 05:39, ku7uk3 wrote:
Not another Jay Sankey DVD!

He puts a new one out every few months, and it shows in his tricks.
His first DVDs were good, because they were tricks you might actually do, but now he's just creating c-list effects that nobody in their right mind would do.

And please, stop with the folded up note in the TT switch tricks.

Jay Sankey WAS a good magician, but now he's just putting as many DVDs out there to make a quick buck. He needs to slow down and release a quality DVD to get his name back up in the ratings.

They say its quality, not quantity that sells.

ku7uk
[/quote]

traveling expenses is a very good "folded up dollar in the TT trick. it kills laymen
I do not recall which Sankey DVD it was, but I remember seeing him perform/explain a version of the bill switch using a piece of paper with punched holes in it rather than a dollar bill where the holes moved. It was a very good effect and routine.

Michael
My favorite bill switch routine was on a Sankey Magic product but was actually Richard Sanders in the Sankey/Sanders Sessions. The routine is Sanders' Moving Day, where a tear travels from one side of the bill to the other. It sounds boring textually but if you've seen it you'll know what I mean. Visually stunning and a great application of the bill switch.
"Travelling Expenses" is a great little trick and I'm sure will be included on the dvd as he is supposedly putting all of his previous routines on there.
[quote]
On 2007-01-21 08:33, joseph wrote:
So, no reviews?... :) ..
[/quote]
Isn't this being released February 1st?

I'd save my $$$ and buy the Book Switch.
[quote]
On 2007-01-23 15:05, magicinsight wrote:
I do not recall which Sankey DVD it was, but I remember seeing him perform/explain a version of the bill switch using a piece of paper with punched holes in it rather than a dollar bill where the holes moved. It was a very good effect and routine.

Michael
[/quote]

that's traveling expenses, it can also be found in the Switch! book
Yeah, I believe Sankey was one of the major contributors to the Switch! book.
I love Travelling Expenses, but another great one is Fan Mail, from the Front Row Sankey DVD. This is a switch of your signature and a spectators, and is a seemingly ideal restaurant opener. But maybe this DVD will finally get the bill switch out of his system, and we won't have to see it ever, ever again!

Not likely...is it?
[quote]
On 2007-01-26 11:26, akumasan42 wrote:
But maybe this DVD will finally get the bill switch out of his system, and we won't have to see it ever, ever again!

Not likely...is it?
[/quote]

Not likely.

I'd like to add that I just received the Sankey Magic email newsletter of the month (which is actually a very good newsletter that I enjoy reading) and it looks as though there are some good things to expect from Sankey in the near future, which is a nice change. Also I'm trying to remain open minded about this new bill switch dvd. His newsletter lists some of the ideas behind select routines from the dvd and some of them are actually very good ideas. Perhaps some reviews will come out sometime soon.
I think the bill switch is one of the best tricks in close up. I thought the Darwin DVD's were only ok and ended up selling on ebay, so I'm looking forward to this one. I just ordered so I'll post a review when it arrives.

Brian
Purchased this DVD yesterday. Let me start out by saying I perform the "bill switch" weekly and have been doing it for years. I LEARNED some things from this DVD. Some routines were offered that I never thought of. In the beginning of the video he goes over evrything as it pertains to; what type of TT to use, the exact folding of the paper, handling etc. ( Lots of tips ) no pun intended.

I was a little skeptical about buying this DVD, because as I said I've been doing this for years, and I wondered about some of the familiar complaints in regards to some previous offerings. I'm glad I purchased it and was pleased. Got lots of ideas and yes, I even got some tips on improving my handling. That surprised me,
but just goes to show me there is always room for improvement.
I give it a TT UP
David Paul
I just received this too and have only glanced at some of the contents but it is very good. Jay has always had excellent, off beat ideas for the bill switch and most of his best are on this dvd. Plus a few others I had never seen before.
Am I the only one [someone is going to post 'yes'!] but...putting a picture of the
TT on the cover of the dvd show's ..I dunno..a lack of respect or something.
I for one hope these don't sell very well for him!
[quote]
On 2007-02-10 10:11, Markymark wrote:
Am I the only one [someone is going to post 'yes'!] but...putting a picture of the
TT on the cover of the dvd show's ..I dunno..a lack of respect or something.
I for one hope these don't sell very well for him!
[/quote]

I agree, I thought the same thing as you, as far as putting the TT on the cover.
Sure, magicians are the target for the marketing of this, but still I would have rather seen a morph of a piece of paper into a bill in mid morph. Exposure regardless of how minor or by who is doing it still is disrespectful to those who really treasure our art. I'm not saying Jay doesn't respect the art, I just think he could have chosen a better advertisement for the cover. IMO
DP
I thought the same thing for a moment. But then I thought about it like this. If a lay person walks into a magic shop, there might be a TT under the glass or behind the counter in plain sight. So they might know about TTs. What do most lay people think TTs are for? Vanishing silks or cigarrettes (which is why I will never vanish a silk with a TT). They really don't know about all the possibilities for the device.

That said, they see the dvd sitting on the shelf. The dvd is called "Hundred Dollar Miracles". It shows a picture of a TT. If a lay person in a magic shop were to look at that cover, what would they think? "Hey, is that one of those plastic thumbs or a real thumb?" and "What are the miracles?" They aren't going to know that the dvd contains routines using the bill switch. They aren't going to know what the TT is for.

While it wouldn't be the image I would have used, I don't think it's going to hurt any of us.
This might be little off topic but if you know how to handle a TT you could show what it is to laymen and put it to your pocket and immediately do billswitch or vanishing cigarette or anything like that and they propaply wouldnt have a clue how you did it. Laymen just cant figure out all the possibilities what can be done with TT by them selves. if you want more concrete example just take TT of your thump after switch to finger palm so they see your thumps. They are fryed! Laymen cant seem to think outside box when it comes to magic. Hell, most magicians cant even do that. Just think Doc Eason/steve Spill bill in lemon. All the cry when it was published... "but he didn't have TT" Well, those who know the routine know what I am heading into with this...
The main point is, even if they know TT, they don't know how many things it can be used to.
Exactly.
The demo video demonstrates the power of TT. It's cool to see Jay switches 5 different effects consecutively in one setting.
I think the dvd, while not groundbreaking, is very much worth the investment for anyone who does not know anything besides the basic bill switch effect. Some of the applications Jay Sankey has developed are simply great.

You WILL find something worth incorporating into your repertoire, the effects range from throw-away comic bits to near-impossible seeming card tricks to serious mentalism. What's not to like?

I give this disk an 7.5 out of 10. It would have been a bit higher, but sometimes I find his performances a little hard to watch... :dizzy:
I agree with that. There are about 30 routines on this disc. And if you like the $100 Switch, then there will be at least a few items that fit your style. He pretty much put all of his classic switch routines on this dvd with the exception of maybe one or two that I can think of.
IIs anyone using any of thre effects from this DVD? I'm sure there are a couples.
[quote]
On 2007-01-26 11:26, akumasan42 wrote:
I love Travelling Expenses, but another great one is Fan Mail, from the Front Row Sankey DVD. This is a switch of your signature and a spectators, and is a seemingly ideal restaurant opener. But maybe this DVD will finally get the bill switch out of his system, and we won't have to see it ever, ever again!

Not likely...is it?
[/quote]

Sankey comes up with very interesting ideas and plots using the bill switch when most people are just working on a different way to change a $1 into a $100. His Fan Mail routine was thinking outside of the box at its best. He also has many other ideas that are very good. So I can't help but chuckle when I see people complaining about Sankey working on an old trick and finding fresh, new ideas for it. We're lucky he likes it enough to keep working on it. Luckily for the people who CONSTANTLY complain about Jay Sankey, there are plenty of other people putting out tricks on DVD, usually only ONE trick on a $30 DVD. So rather then playing the same old song, ie: "Why does he put out so many DVDs, he's greedy, blah, blah, blah", don't buy his stuff. I for one think he's a great thinker and he's constantly coming up with good, practical, commercial workhorse magic that fools laymen.

So...as for your arguments. Yeah, we get it. We understood it last time. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the time before that.
Hi ixnay66

One point for you buddy
Arthur
What happened was Jay was held in very high esteem in the community. Then one year he went on a tear releasing old material as single tricks. The he released some poor effects and the pendulem swung the other way and people slammed him.

Plus, his sense of humor get people rield up. Watch Sankey Live, which I think has some of his best work. He's exremely funny. Other projects he comes off as annoying. He ad libs, which can go either way.

I think Jay is one of the top minds in magic and he has a lot left in him. I just wish he'd go slower on releases and get feedback from trusted friends before releasing.

Wayne Kawamoto is a little interview with him:

WK: Where do you get your inspiration to create new and innovative effects?

JS: I get inspiration from everything. Exercising at the gym, walking in the snow, driving the car, gigging in parties, pretty much everywhere I am and everything I do seems capable of planting a seed in my magic-obsessed mind.

WK: Please tell me about your upcoming projects. What are you excited about these days?

I've got some super exciting projects scheduled to be released in the spring and fall of 06, both DVDs and separate effects. I'm especially psyched about Nailed! It's a two-card transposition but with a big, big difference. It's unlike anything you've ever seen and trust me, it's gonna be huge.

WK: How’s business?

JS: Business is extremely good. Since the global relaunch of SANKEY MAGIC in September of this year, we've been going nuts just trying to keep up with the demand. Having a network of authorized dealers all over the planet has opened a lot of doors and helped us tap into whole new markets. I've busted my butt for years to get to this point and it's really gratifying to see everything "jump to the next level."

WK: Anything else that you would like to say?

JS: Just to say a big thanks to everyone who has helped me and my company get as far as we have.
Does the Project include any of the artwork for any of the switches?
[quote]On Jun 24, 2020, Bruce T wrote:
Does the Project include any of the artwork for any of the switches? [/quote]

I don't think so. Jay Sankey sells the artwork separately. It is called the indestructible collection.
Thanks so much. Very much appreciate the information