(Close Window)
Topic: Wand Help
Hello I was thinking of buying the Mercury Wand (the one Ammar uses) and I then started to think mabye I can make a wand and it will be just as good but at the same time it would be somthing I could be proud of. Im in the process of saving money to buy Vol 1 and 2 of his Cups and balls dvd and I need a wand pretty bad but I have no clue on how to go about making one that will be good and at the same time well balanced enough to do a good wand spin
so I guess my question is how would I go about figuring out how to build one

any help would be Very much appreciated

Thanks for your time

DC
I can say right now that finding good, metal wand tips may be the biggest problem.

For a simple wand you could use a maple or oak dowel.
If you prefer a rubber finish, you can use heat shrink tubing to cover the wand usually found in the electrical sections of Home Depots.

I don't really prefer the more common looking wands and have been putting off using a dowel and adding glyphs and designs to it.
Thank you for your input I appreciate it
In gun catalogs that carry blackpowder rifles, you can look in the section on ramrods and their accessories to find materials that could be adapted to wands.
Someone gave me a wand they made from 3/8" aluminum rod covered with black heat shrink tubing. The tubing was cut away at each end to expose a couple inches of the metal for tips. It spins great, but not something you'd be happy to see fly out of your hand.
That may be a good idea I'm gonna think about that
Does anyone know the length of the mercury wand? is it 14" or more?
I suggest that if you're making your own wand to measure from the base of your middle finger to your inner elbow/crook of your arm and make it that size.

The reason I suggest this in you may want to do a 'Flipstick' routine at some time.
Whats that?
Either way my measurement is 14 1/2 " so its close still
I found great tips that I screwed into a dowel in a antique shop. I used the top piece from two identical lamps that hold the shade in place. I unfortunaltely no longer have that wand, but walk through home depot and search the cabinet handles, harware section, and in general all over and you will find many interesting ideas.
Yea that's a good idea
Find some copper or brass tubing and a dowel that are the same outside diameter. Chuck the dowel in a drill or lathe and turn down about 2 inches of each end to the inside diameter of the tubing. Force fit the tubing onto the dowel, polish, and finish. Voila! nice-looking wand!
Digressing a little, - anyone thought of making a "Harry Potter" type wand? (or twig!)
[quote]
On 2007-01-23 08:51, magicjohn2278 wrote:
Digressing a little, - anyone thought of making a "Harry Potter" type wand? (or twig!)
[/quote]

I have one of that "wizard school" style on my site.
http://themagiccompany.com/cat_wands.html

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.

~michael
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jan 24, 2007 09:51AM)
Nice one . . .