(Close Window)
Topic: Dresden Files
For those in the US with access to SciFi, don't forget, the Dresden Files begins tonight. based on the series of books on Harry Dresden - Wizard. It looks to be a very good series on a wizard using his skills as a crime investigator. 9:00 PM EDT

Tony
Thanks for the reminder Tony. And thanks for TIVO!
I predict something horrible will happen
No Way!!!!
I saw this at the preview center at Universal Studio's :)
The kid has 5 thousand dollars and Monsters! Oh My!
Whay different than the pilot that I viewed!
I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the rest of the season.
NBC has really improved this, and I liked the preview as it was! They've really been working on this. I also enjoyed it, and I don't like much TV :)
Thanks for the tip Tony...would not have seen it otherwise...fun!
I thought it all came together a bit too neatly, but not a bad start. It got my attention and I will keep watching. I hope it survives.

Dave
Did someone get killed in the show? Then my prediction is a hit
I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. There are some elements that are vastly different from the books - especially Bob and the High Council...

But I'll be watching again...
Saw it, and enjoyed it very much. I thought it was well acted, though it does borderline on a Constantine rip-of (I love the comic...) Nevertheless, I will probably tune in to watch it again this week.

did anyone catch that his dad was a magician?

Monte
Yes, did you know his Harry's name is, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden?
... How did the kid get 5000 dollars?
It was his lunch money. He was in a private school.
The first episode of this "Dresden Files" series is available for free at iTunes.
For those who are curious.
One word. "Skinwalker". Ugh. I sure hope the writing improves.
Considering this comes on right before Battlestar Galactica -- of which I'm a huge frakin' fan -- I suppose I should probably check it out. Looks interesting enough.
I felt it was a hybrid of ideas from 'Charmed' and 'Supernatural'. In fact I recall a Skinwalker type creature in Supernatural a while back. Still I liked the show and hope it gains a good following.
It looks as if they are going for hip and cool. I think it would play better if Dresden were a bit more brooding. It is a little too happy go lucky considering the subject matter. I will give it one more episode but I won't get my hopes up.
Read the novels by Jim Butcher to get a good handle on the character of Harry. He is supposed to be even more irreverent than he is on the show.

This is the problem with adapting material like this.
This is pretty toned down from the pilot that I saw.
Well, I watched the second episode. I thought it was a bit better, but as Dan said, the mood doesn't seem right. I'll give it one more chance...
Watched the first episode when it was offered for free on iTunes. Haven't read the books, so I don't know how they compare, but the characters and dialogue in the show were flat and uninteresting to me. I think I've been spoiled by the Whedonverse. Even when the plot was thin on Buffy, Angel, or Firefly, the characters and dialogue were sharp as tacks.
Hey Tony, did you get a visit from the Fab Five?
Did you catch me on the show?
No, but I'm digging the new look! Did you have to cut up cheese cubes?
No, just a wig, and a bowl on my head for the cut.
The latest episode was better; we actually got to see some wizarding.
I'll have to remember that thing with the mirror.
Scrying with a mirror has a long history. There is an effect you might find useful in The Wizards' Journal #1 (on my site) from Eleazar Goodenough, when he was just six years old (with a lot of help writing it down from the "old man"). It's called "I Scry."

"The scryer demonstrates the art and science of scrying with mirror and ink. A plain inexpensive hand mirror is shown and allowed to be handled by the person who lost the object. The mirror is placed on the table. Then the scryer takes a bottle of black ink and with an eye-dropper, drops some ink on the mirror. The ink begins to form numbers and letters on the mirror as the scryer rocks it back and forth."

In Eleazar's plot, the letters and numbers identify a chosen Tarot Card which has been "lost" in the deck as an example. The ink could also form an image of a person's face, for example, or a lost object. If you already have or get the article and want to investigate those other possibilities, we can do so via a secret session on The Magic Nook Forum.
The Dresden Files starts in the UK this Wednesday evening (Sky One at 9).

Barry