(Close Window)
Topic: Baby Doves?
My mating pair currently has two new babies!

They were hatched two days apart last week.

The question that I have is as follows:

The 1st baby dove is twice the size of the 2nd baby dove. The parents are feeding both. Does 2 days apart make that much of a difference or is there something that I need to watch out for?

James Adamson
James,

This is not unusual. Give them a week and it may surprise you. As long as the parents are feeding both, you are growing two doves!

Congratulations!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
James, Bob is right. One bird will almost always be smaller than the other. As Bob said, give it a week or so and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Yep! First is bigger and the second catches up...Normally, the first one hatched is the male and the second is the female, but after the size change happens, you lose control of which is which.

Did you know that Bob, and Dave? *smile* Probably huh....you experts make me sick! *haha* Just kidding....
Hey Tom, we're not experts, just experienced :lol:
Sir Thomas!

When you really look it up "expert" is not that flattering.

Ex = was
Spurt = A drip under pressure

Lawyers claim that applies to expert witnesses!

Dave is right. We just have the feed store on speed dial.

Bob
Ha....like the definition on Expert......

all the grey WISDOM hairs must do it.....
That's not grey hair, Tom, it's bird dust :lol:
*smile*
Those few hairs are Dove white!

Last Spring for his 80th birthday I gave Bill Pitts a grey sponge bunny. That is a grey hare! (Over the last three decades I'm sure I gave him some grey hairs too! He's been my magic "Dear Abby". Thanks Bill!)

Tom,
Your house is filling up. I think that's what causes grey hair. Playing with the doves just gives you your own space.

Bob
Well, I wish it were that easy Bob! Since the birth of our little girl on Dec 26 (yippee, I 'm a daddy!), The deprivation of sleep caused a couple of gray hairs, and then playing with the doves in my own space?

Did you say MY OWN space? The only thing I have anymore is the doves, and recently I have a feeling that me and the doves may be flying together somewhere in the skies if one more baby item is brought home.

My space now is in the SUV I own. I sit there and that is all the space I have anymore.....*haha* Ok, its not that bad, but gray hairs now is inevitable, especially seeing that we had a little girl, so now I am surrounded by women...
Tom,

This is an ideal time to change your password to one you can't afford to forget. Just ask the guys above.

The password is: YES_DEAR

Bob
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jan 25, 2007 04:18PM)
Bob! Lucy should swat you with a rolled up newspaper.
Autumn, I think Lucy already has that covered :lol:
Oh, it's a little longer than that... it's YES_DEAR_YOU_ARE_RIGHT_DEAR
Oops! James it must be time for a road trip. By the time we get back your babies will be starting their own nests. Have birds, must travel.

(Tom thinks he's surrounded by women! One of his doesn't even talk yet.)

Bob
[quote]Tom thinks he's surrounded by women! One of his doesn't even talk yet. [/quote]

Isn't that the best kind of woman? Glad my wife doesn't read the Café. Oh, what's that, OK I'll log off now dear. :lol:
"Get Well" cards can be sent to Dave at ...

LOL

Actually, women are probably God's best work. Remember, that was after practice.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I feel a message coming from Autumn very soon :lol:
WOW....we are going to be in some serious trouble, huh?

We'll blame Bob! He started it anyhow.....
I am still concerned about the smaller dove. It is still at the least twice as small as the other baby and the larger one has grow so much that the parents are not sitting on the babies anymore. The smaller one actually is using the larger baby for cover and heat. The parents are still feeding it, but the larger baby will force the smaller one from its' feeding to get its' feeding. At times it seems that the parents do not even see the smaller one due to the size of the larger.

I just watched mom try to feed the smaller one and it did get some food before the larger one took over the feeding.

The larger one has most of its feathers while the smaller on is still very pink and its' eyes have just opened today.

Should I still be concerned?

James
James,

If you are that concerned, hold the larger baby a couple of times a day when the parents are feeding. Then the little guy will have a monopoly for the moment. (Doves don't reject young just because they have been held by humans. I used to move babies around all the time because I needed Mom and Dad on stage.)

Most likely things are going to work out anyway.

(Besides, I sent you an email to worry about. We have work to do.)

Bob
James, you've pretty much answered your own question. The larger dove is larger because he's getting more food than the other. As long as the parents are tending to the little one, you'll be fine but I'd take Bob's advice about removing the big one temporarily during feeding.
Thanks both of you. Learned something new.

And yes Bob, I have already been doing that work.

James Adamson

PS Vern (the bird in my avatar) is getting very jealous! :)
I am sad to report that the smaller dove passed away last night :(

I separated them when feeding but it must was too weak or was still not getting enough food.

The larger one is fine and has flyed to the perches a couple of times. He is still being feed by the parents.

Right now the feeder is mounted on the side of the cage where the doves jump up to or fly to for feed. When if ever should I lower the feeder down for the baby dove?

There is plenty of extra feed thrown to the floor of the cage and the baby dove does not touch it. I assume when the time comes he will take over the feeding by itself.

James Adamson
James, once your baby is able to feed itself, it will jump up to the feeder just like your adults. Right now he's just saying "why should I exert myself and fly up there when I know mom's coming down to feed me" :lol: Once mom doesn't show up, he'll realize the party is over and he must feed himself.

Sorry to hear about your little one though. It happens and it's never an easy thing.
It's never easy when a bird dies, but in my experience sometimes the parents know something that you don't. At least, that's what I tell myself. Enjoy your new dove, there's nothing like a bird you've raised from birth--they are born for show business. :)