(Close Window)
Topic: Fold Flat
Message: Posted by: jbrandt (Jan 23, 2007 12:56PM)
I am designing some plans for a substitution trunk, and I would like it to come apart. I have a set of plans here that have already been designed and that I am getting some ideas from. In the plans I am reading, it suggests hinges to allow the box to collapse for easy transport.

My question, then, is what type of hinge would be best, how do you hide it, and is it really practical? I was thinking that two loose pin hinges at every edge (inside) except for the three unconnected edges of the top of the box. That way, to take it apart, you remove the pins and it all falls to pieces.

It all seemed to make sense, but then I thought about what I would think if I saw hinges inside the box like that. I would probably explain the mysterious transposition as the magician having removed the pins from the hinges and traded places. This may be impractical, but audiences aren't exactly concerned about whether their ideas are practical or not.

Second, I could put the hinges on the outside, but that takes slightly more effort, and this is my first illusion. I don't exactly have a lot of tools.

Would hinges work, or would there be a better way that I could do this? Perhaps bolts? I'd rather not use bolts if I didn't have to, but if that's my only option then I guess I'll go with bolts, ha.

Thanks for your help,
Message: Posted by: Stanyon (Jan 23, 2007 04:10PM)
One possibility would be to construct the sides and bottom using a mortise and tenon join, where the wood meets. The join could be bolstered by drilling through each piece, from the top and inserting steel rod down the length. All you would see is wood at each corner.

Just a thought!

Cheers! ;)
Message: Posted by: jbrandt (Jan 23, 2007 04:35PM)
I appreciate the suggestion and I will jot it down in my list of things to remember, but I think it's a little too advanced for me... I looked it up on lowes.com and I'm pretty sure that I would screw something like that up royally.

Thanks, though!! :D

- Jared
Message: Posted by: Michael Baker (Jan 23, 2007 05:10PM)
I constructed one years ago that broke down. I used angle steel along the edges and the parts bolted together. It was not a really fast set up, but it worked better than hauling around a huge trunk. You can buy angle steel with holes all along the length. Cut the pieces to size, and use whichever holes you wish as a template for drilling through the wood. All the angle steel was on the inside. It could be used outside, but you'd likely need some that is wider to wrap AROUND the edges.

My building skills were minimal at that time.

Message: Posted by: ClintonMagus (Jan 23, 2007 05:43PM)
On 2007-01-23 18:10, Michael Baker wrote:
I constructed one years ago that broke down.

I hate it when that happens...
Message: Posted by: mkiger (Jan 23, 2007 07:43PM)
There are cam and post knockdown fittings availible from woodworking stores like Rockler, you see them on cheap office furniture.
Message: Posted by: jbrandt (Jan 23, 2007 10:31PM)
Thanks very much for the ideas! I will research them and let you guys know once I make a decision. Thanks again!

- Jared
Message: Posted by: raywitko (Jan 24, 2007 07:01AM)
I use 1/8 x 1" aluminum angle on the inside with holes drilled for bolts.
Message: Posted by: magicjohn2278 (Jan 24, 2007 07:58AM)
What about the plastic fixings with a screw that are commonly used to fix kitchen units together? (Well, here in the UK at least.) They could be used inside the box and shouldn't create as much suspicion as a hinge.
Message: Posted by: kaytracy (Jan 24, 2007 09:44AM)
What about painting the hinges to match the interior, or if fabric lined, it only takes a small extra bit to cover a hinge. The only one who should be close enough to make that out would be the person inside...
Message: Posted by: Silver_Fang (Jan 31, 2007 07:28AM)
You could also use heavy duty L brackets on the inside.
Message: Posted by: klefkow (Feb 9, 2007 03:51PM)
Check Rockler.com for "knockdown hardware".