(Close Window)
Topic: Fred Kaps .... Just Amazing To Watch..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ6veWZQ9Hw

Have you guys seen this old video of Fred Kaps....
Message: Posted by: Canvey Card Sharp (Jan 24, 2007 12:09AM)
At the time of watching this clip, 28 other people before me have viewed.

I'm amazed there aren't any comments here.....I can only imagine people are speechelss.

Ken Brooke said of Fred Kaps "He is the greatest magician I have seen in my lifetime"

Anyone that has watched the clip must surely say the same.

That clip is a lesson in misdirection, audience engagement and pure, pure magical genius.
Message: Posted by: Canvey Card Sharp (Jan 24, 2007 12:10AM)
Not to mention impeccable timing!
I keep getting a "cannot find server" when I try to view it. Elsewhere on the Café there is a link to FK's salt pour, a real masterpiece.
I don't waste my time leaving comments on "YooHoo", I'd rather save my comments for the Café.
He should think of competing. Might even make a name for himself one day...
He is the only magician ever to win the coveted world title three times.

Fred Kaps Seeing Is Believing DVD.
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8146

Video:
http://www.hanklee.net/quicktime_movies/fredkaps.mov
Haha that was just great.i love seeing these vids of the old great magicians.
I need to learn that salt trick. That was pretty funny.

Kyle
I could watch Fred Kaps and Cardini all day!
[quote]
On 2007-01-24 14:06, jcards01 wrote:
I could watch Fred Kaps and Cardini all day!
[/quote]
I wish I could but I don't have the time.
Fabulous. Goes to show you how much work was put into their acts.

Compare that to the YouTube stuff that people put up to show you "what they can do".
No matter how nifty some of it might look at first glance, there are usually serious flaws. Nobody puts the thought into the minute details like these guys.
Um, are you guys aware of the historical significance of this clip? I am not criticizing Mr. Kaps, as I think he is doing the best he could under the circumstances, but this was a gig he later wished he had not done.

Did you notice that there is absolutely [b]no[/b] laughter at his attempts at humor? In fact, the audience is almost stunned silent; why was Ed Sullivan telling them to be quiet just before Mr. Kaps goes on?

Do you know why he is (in most critics opinions) [b]dying[/b] here? Anybody?
The real history of the clip. Kaps was [b]not[/b] in the show live. That was a taped segment added to the show.
No, Pete, it was [b]extremely[/b] live. It was one of the most anticipated live shows ever to appear on American television.

Think about when Ed Sullivan was on, and about who might have been on Ed Sullivan.
Yes, I believe this was right before the first appearance of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Robert
I can't seem to get any audio. Odd, I get audio on other clips / sites.

I imagine it's even better if you can hear him.
Joe

The show with the Beatles was live but Fred Kaps' segment was pre-recorded.
Well, I liked it quite a bit... who are these critics anyway?
Randy and Robert, I am almost 100% certain that Kaps had to [b]follow[/b] The Beatles, and I am almost 100% certain that it was not pre-recorded -- he literally had to take the stage in their wake. You can watch this for yourselves in the DVD set that features all the Sullivan shows with The Beatles, where each show is presented in its entirety (including the commercials). When you watch the DVD, you can hear people still quieting down as Kaps walks out on stage (the audio on the DVD is better than the audio on YouTube to which Bill [aka S2000] refers).
Long before the Internet and you tube made these things easily available I went to the Library of Congress and looked up Fred Kaps, then asked them to pull up this episode of Ed Sullivan. The librarian commented that this Ed Sullivan was among the most popular things to view in the entire collection. Not realizing it was also the first appearance of the Beatles, I just couldn't understand at first why Fred Kaps would be so popular.

For the record: Kaps follows the Beatles. [b]And[/b] they followed him. J, P, G & R played a few tunes up front, then Fred came on. Then some other guests--including Frank Gorshin. Then the Beatles again. They closed the show with "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

I have heard more than once that Kaps' segment was pre-recorded. I don't know about that but it seems likely given the absolute pandemonium on display in the studio.

SWN
Fred told me it was pre-recorded.... now the sound could have been enhanced with the live crowd noises -- but I don't know.
If Mr. Kaps told you firsthand, then I am probably wrong; sorry to spread misinformation. I will watch the DVD again tonight. (But as I remember it, it is seamless. It doesn't [b]look[/b] pre-recorded, if you know what I mean.)

Can you imagine having to follow The Beatles?
Can you imagine having to follow Fred Kaps?
Fred Kaps did some incredible magic in Sweden 1956 at Swedish Magic Circle's jubilee meeting in Stockholm. A magician from Sweden: El Globo told me that Fred was at his peak that year and the next, but, he was always great.

He also did his famous card in wallet, it was a sensation at that time.
The card was signed and showed up in an sealed envelope in a sealed compartment in his wallet. They talked about Fred Kaps magic for years in Sweden...

El Globo saw him at Bill Larsen´s parties performing the best close up magic he ever seen. He did for an example; extraordinary Silver Coins through Table, Floating Cork etc.
He also had an incredible presentation for the Chinese Sticks.
I didn't know that about the presentation of Ed Sullivan, that clears my doubts why the audience was quite silent and didn't respond to the jokes.
Salt Pour and Homing Card routines were very entertaining, always get a laugh out of people, so I always thought that audience were strange.
Thanks Mr. Biro for that info.
I saw that broadcast and may be only teenager who tuned in to see Kaps and not the Beatles

Gil Scott
I think I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: that has to be the very worst introduction for a magician. I'm not talking about being on before or after the Beatles, it's Ed Sullivan's intro that is just dire: talk about killing an act before he's come out!

Anyway, this clip is well-known now: does anyone have any links to any other performances by the maestro?
More Fred Kaps vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5GYtuzMNs0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRiTBqcObE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAL7SI8NA8

http://www.fredkapsdvd.com/clip.html

Full movie, DVD: http://www.fredkapsdvd.com/

Fred Kaps, Homing Card: http://www.trickshop.com/homing_card.html

Interesting facts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Kaps
I don't know if that is the worst introduction I was once introduce by the boss telling the audience that there would be more layoffs on Monday.

Gil Scott
"Just Amazing To Watch" LOL! Get this clown off of my TV and bring on The Beatles!(a tuff gig, granted) Cute, but certainly not amazing. Maybe I'm just too stupid to appreciate good magic when I see it :)
I used to spend entire days at the Museum of Radio and Television in NYC watching those clips, and of many other magicians. You were only to view four tapes per session, then you had to return them before you could take others. You were not allowed to take them off site, they would assign you a viewing booth and you had to stay there. Man, it was a Looooong process. Now I am happy that places like YouTube exist! One of the best things about the Internet!!!
Thanks for the clips

~John
[quote]
On 2007-04-18 18:57, steve_sargent wrote:
"[...] Cute, but certainly not amazing. Maybe I'm just too stupid to appreciate good magic when I see it. "
[/quote]

I'll tell you what [i][b]is[/b][/i] amazing: that such a statement would come from someone with a signature that reads: "[i]Presentation is 9/10ths of the law[/i]".

Now THAT is amazing.

TW
Thanks for the clips. I own the Fred Kaps DVD and I can never get enough of him. one of the best EVER
Homing Card explanation from Trickshop.com isn't the same that Fred Kaps uses.
But it hasn't been necessary to read it, as I figured out the handling from watching his videos. It's remarkable how simple but how effective it is.
Truly a master.

Antonio
I hate to say it but I'm a sucker for the classics.

Best
Brandon
That's good Brandon!
I'm a sucker for those too!
Thanks very much for the Clips!!

Can remember, when Fred was coming on our Dutch tv,
we where in front of it 1 hour before the programm started.
I'm just curious. I usually just ignore any comments left on youtube videos but I did notice that some of them say that Ed Sullivan gave him a bad intro. What did he say?

Ron Jaxon
That was great. Thank you.
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 01:04, Jaxon wrote:
I'm just curious. I usually just ignore any comments left on youtube videos but I did notice that some of them say that Ed Sullivan gave him a bad intro. What did he say?

Ron Jaxon
[/quote]

"Now Here...

QUIET!

Here's a very amusing magician. We saw him in Europe ...(mumble)...Fred Kaps...
He tries a card trick and gets nothing but Kings and Queens. He tries to get rid of a salt cellar and can't get rid of the salt. Here he is, Fred Kaps."

It really could have been a better intro.
They don't make 'em like they used to.
I like the old school... Thanks for posting the link!