(Close Window)
Topic: Fire Breather Screws Up.
I already posted this in the up in smoke section, but I wanted to make sure all the right people saw it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZcIWwkJYZk

I don't breathe fire. I haven't been trained to breathe. I won't even attempt it until I get real solid training from someone with real solid experience.

If you learned how to breathe fire from some guy in a bar, or did some reading on the 'net, stop now.

I'm sure this fellow thought he knew what he was doing.

Gwyd, who hates seeing this type of thing happening over and over
I also posted this in the Up in smoke section.

Brett.

"Well, it's unleaded so I won't get lead poisoning!"

That insinuates that he used gasoline. Man oh man, what an idot.

Brett.
Yes... not very smart at all.

Actually... fire breathing is easier than fire eating.
You just have to be smart enough to know not to use kerosine.
It's lamp oil!!

Hmmm... am I supposed to say that?

Oh well... Sorry and delete this post if I wasn't.

Randi
I hate that when it happens. It gets me so mad.
What's the phrase I'm looking for?

Oh yeah...fcuking idiot!
He just went from one thing that went wrong, to another, to another.

It was not good video, but from what I could see, he was also right next to curtains that almost certainly were highly flammable.

I think Stephon is being most polite, though I'm sure the guy is a nice guy.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 25, 2007 06:13PM)
He must be a nice guy to figure a neat way to introduce the expletives in this forum!!
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 25, 2007 06:14PM)
By the way, I meant Stephon, not the fcuking idiot.
Careful Randi - most fire breathers do use kerosene (called paraffin here in the UK), even when they're using lamp oil! They're essentially the same thing give or take a few additives and differences in purity.

It looked to me like he was using something with a much lower flashpoint than kerosene. Surely not gasoline! Surely not?!
He mentioned it contained "No lead" so he wouldnt get lead poisoning.
Can you say unleaded gas?
The way it traveled up the stream, sure acted like petrol.
And guys...No talking about what fluid you should use.
We all know that the only fluid a novice untrained fire breather should use is water.
Gwyd
That's what horrified me, when he seemed to suggest he was using petrol; it's not just highly flammable and highly toxic, it easily forms an explosive mixture with air. As demonstrated by another set of fcuking idiots in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE-xSAK-IwE
Yeah...Wow.
That was far too impressive.
At least they weren't claiming to be professionals.
Gwyd
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 26, 2007 11:33AM)
Well, petrol or gasoline whatever you want to call it hasn't contained lead since the early 80's. Even so, lead is the least of his worries! Most gasoline nowadays contains more ethanol than it used to when it had lead.

Now, here's fun physics: gasoline in its liquid form is not flammable. It's the VAPORS that ignite. You can drop a lit match in a bucket of gasoline and it will extinguish in the liquid. Your engine doesn't work on liquid fuel, it uses atomized fuel that has been mixed with air. If you lay down a trail of gasoline and light it, it will catch because the surface of the liquid os more exposed and the molecules are rapidly evaporating. There IS a proper way of doing blasts with gasoline taught to me by Red Stuart. I will not divulge it here, but it is safer than ANY other method with any fuel.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 26, 2007 11:41AM)
Wow cool, nippulini. I'm going to try that bucket of gas trick right away! Where's my video camera?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 26, 2007 11:43AM)
Do it outdoors in the prescence of a fire marshal only.

Be prepared to be in police custody immediately following...
[quote]
On 2007-01-26 12:33, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Now, here's fun physics: gasoline in its liquid form is not flammable. It's the VAPORS that ignite.
[/quote]

Yes, in fact it's the same with all combustible and flammable liquids - it's not the liquid itself but the mixture of the vapour with air that burns.
Thanks Tim...
I did not know that.
I have always done and used what I was taught.
Which I believe is the moral of this topic.

In that case...
If I had to guess what he was using, I would say the same thing he probably used for the torches... Naptha.
I do know a guy who tried it with lighter fluid(naptha), in his bathroom, in all places.
He only did a shot full, but caught his bathroom wall and mouth on fire.
Of course it went out pretty quick.

Randi
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 26, 2007 03:07PM)
After watching that clip, YouTube brought up some similar clips involving homemade flame throwers. No devastation caught on tape though. Quite surprising as the bonehead in question was filling a super-soaker water gun with flammable liquid, and firing it at a garage door, from inside the garage...of course.

My family knows a guy, who on his first day of collage, he was trying to impress his dorm mates by lighting an arasol spray on fire. He caught his dorm-room door on fire, and almost burned down the dorm. He was expelled the next day.
Simply put, that was pretty darn stupid.
I hope I never set my arasol on fire. Sounds painful.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 27, 2007 02:24PM)
That should have been "AEROSOL". Getting enough flame to burn down a door the other way would be indicative of a really bad diet.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Jan 27, 2007 09:19PM)
I know a rennie guy that always used charcoal lighter fluid.

Yeah he had to go to the burn ward after an accident at one of the fairs. He healed up ok, but doesn't do any fire breathing anymore.

Also lamp oil can hurt you, you breath enough of it, and get it into your system it can seriously screw you up. (It happened to me a week before Halloween at some event I was doing)

There's always risk involved, just watch out.
Oh my goodness...are the burns really really bad? It must hurt like hell.
Yes... none of it is safe.

But from lamp oil, I have had only one problem.
I performed at Six Flags over Texas this last Halloween.
I did lots of blasts, and a lot of fire eating.
By the end of the month my lips were so chapped from the fire.
But I had a bad rash on my chest and neck from the lamp oil running down.
It was not good.
It gave me really dry, flaky, red skin.
Not very attractive.

Randi
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Jan 28, 2007 07:50PM)
There are many home remedies for a burning arasol.. heh heh.
[quote]
Well, petrol or gasoline whatever you want to call it hasn't contained lead since the early 80's. Even so, lead is the least of his worries! Most gasoline nowadays contains more ethanol than it used to when it had lead.

Now, here's fun physics: gasoline in its liquid form is not flammable. It's the VAPORS that ignite. You can drop a lit match in a bucket of gasoline and it will extinguish in the liquid. Your engine doesn't work on liquid fuel, it uses atomized fuel that has been mixed with air. If you lay down a trail of gasoline and light it, it will catch because the surface of the liquid os more exposed and the molecules are rapidly evaporating. There IS a proper way of doing blasts with gasoline taught to me by Red Stuart. I will not divulge it here, but it is safer than ANY other method with any fuel.
[/quote]
Wouldn't you agree however that under most conditions there is going to be vapor rising from the gasoline just from the sun/heat. The few times ive tried the bucket and the gasoline the match has either a: went out before it hit the gasoline or b:ignited it. Look at it this way if you leave a gas container open for too long it will all evaporate.
What's most important to remember is that gasoline vapors are produced by rapidly evaporating molecules. The larger the surface area, the faster the evaporation occurs. Once the local atmosphere reaches a certian parts per billion concentration of the accelerant, you have an explosive atmosphere (this explains the "bonfire" clip). Now, when agitated or aspirated, the molecules behave differently and will exponentially increase the flammability of the fuel.
He should have stopped when things were going wrong in the first place.
If he had training, it wasn't enough, or it was from someone who didn't know what they were doing, or both.