(Close Window)
Topic: Self-Working Card Book Library
What books should be included in a library of self-working, semi-automatic, efforless, etc. card books? I've got a pretty good library and am looking for ideas on what I've missed.
The Card Magic of Nick Trost..
Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie..
Card books by Karl Fulves..
To name a few.
Rennie
Card College Lite by Roberto Giobbi
Bob Longe's books include quite a few self workers.
John Scarne's 'Scarne on Card Tricks'.

The specific Karl Fulves books you should get are:
'Self-Working Card Tricks'
'More Self-Working Card Tricks'
'My Best Self-Working Card Tricks'
'Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic'
There's some duplication, but each has lots of original gems.

'The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks' also has many good self-workers.
Easy to do impromptu card magic by Aldo Colombini.
Any volume (or all volumes) of Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series.
All the Marlo books.
[quote]
On 2007-01-26 22:54, MagicT wrote:
All the Marlo books.

[/quote]
I don't think I would include these with any "self working" card effect books...
Rennie
Right on, Magic T. Marlo's stuff is definitely child's play (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek). I second the Fulves "Self-Working" series and Card College Light.
Yep...all great suggestions.

If you get the books mentioned above (except by Marlo (must really be a card worker for his stuff)), you'll have a nice section to your magic library and loads of effects to work with and study.

Have fun gathering your books and entertaining your family and friends. After all, to me, that's what magic is all about. FUN.

Mark. :)
Funny that no one has mentioned two of the classics:
"The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks" - Hugard
"Scarne on Card Tricks" - Scarne
Both are available in paperback, easy to find and yet contain some of the best self working card magic found anywhere.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Paul, you must be tired. I've got them both in my list, way up there. :)
I wish these books had some kind of easy/hard-to-read rating system. I have Roberto Giobbi's card college light and it is very easy to read and understand what he is trying to teach. Also have Expert Card Technique: Close-up table magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue, this book is hard to read and I rather put it back on the shelf to read something else.

Card College = Very easy to read
Expert Card Technique = Very hard to read

For many people it might not matter what book they are reading, but I am on a tight budget and only want to focus on easy-to-read books.

Many thanks
Keith
Keith,
I have seen this criticism of a lot of Jean Hugard's books. Although I don't agree with it personally, I am beginning to get the sense that there's something in his style that makes his books off-putting to a lot of people.
I can only say that if you can get used to his style, there's gold in them there hills.
RRTCM, ECT, and the "Card Manipulations" and "More Card Manipulations", as well as "Greater Magic" (which Hugard completed after the death of J N Hilliard) are chock full of great stuff.
Thanks DStachowiak for the positive input on Jean Hugard books. After reading your message I went and picked up the book and started reading one of the tricks and got the message, but it was not easy. One thing I noticed about the book is that it is Jammed pack with information, a gold mine of tricks that I need to start paying attention. Lots of words and very few photos, that makes for tedious reading. Some of the words require me to look up in a dictionary, for example the word "Fulcrum." I have two dictionaries next to me just in case.

I think I have become used to reading easy-to-read books such as Card College series that I expect all books to be easy. That means I am gonna have to force myself to pick up books such as Jean Hugard's.

The real bad news is that there is so much information out there that I start to feel that there is less time available to learn and then apply the tricks. We live in a society where we want things done quickly, so is this a good thing or a bad thing. I guess it all depends.

Right now I need to "Shut-up" and start reading.

Later
Keith
Just want to add one more thing.

Just from reading what everyone is saying here in this form. I am tempted to just go out and buy as many books as possible, just in case they ever go out of print. I can see that many of you already have a big library of Magic books.

If I do build my Magic library books, will I ever read them? Taking the time to read them will only decrease the time to go out and perform them. Also have a lot of catching up to do, I see many of you have extensive knowlegde on card tricks alone.

Right now I am going on line to order some books.

Time to spend money
Keith
I love buying books.

Once in a great while, I like to read them.

Seriously, there's so much interesting literature that it's hardly feasible to devote a single, big block of time to reading, so you may wind up skimming for stuff that immediately grabs your attention, then going back at some later time to have a closer look at what you've got.

I'll second DStachowiak's sentiments on Hugard. ECT in particular will well reward your efforts.

Have fun!
There's also some great easy effects in the "Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields". This is an absolutely fantastic book, with some hard-hitting effects from people like Bob Sheets and Paul Cummins, in addition to Fields' contributions - get it while you can!

Justin
On my 'to buy' list is 'Card College Light' by Roberto Giobbi, which is supposed to be all self-workers. While I'd love to own the whole 'Card College' series (and will if I ever hit the lottery), I suspect 'Card College Light' will better meet my needs.
The Card Magic of Nick Trost is the best card book, trust me..
Rennie
I second Rennie's recommendation.
The Magic World of Stewart Judah has some "almost" self-working stuff.

The Marlo suggestion whether made tongue in cheek or not actually contains a nugget of truth. Most every Marlo book I have contains some self-working or nearly self-working material; you just have to find it. The Unexpected Card Book actually begins as I recall with a section (Marlo was being sarcastic himself) containing tricks that take no skill so Magicians could give their "all" to "presentation." (I don't think he thought their "all" was very much.) Anyway a lot of easy stuff in the Marlo books.
In addition to the seven volumes in Steve Beam's SACT series, you really just need two other books...and they are both by Lewis Jones.

First, locate and purchase SEVENTH HEAVEN for the incredible magic and mentalism. Second, get Lewis's book ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IMPROMPTU CARD FORCES for the foundational material you'll need to create your own self-working effects in the future.

Trust me on this.

Best,
Mick
IMPUZZIBILITIES - Jim Steinmeyer
Further Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer
Giobbi's Card College Light http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-light-p-452.html is now also available as ebook for $26 - an immediate PDF download.

As a reminder you can also get this on paper for $35 plus s&h either directly from Hermetic Press or from your preferred dealer. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Roberto Giobbi and Stephen Minch publicly for their forward thinking attitude to make this joint production possible. I am proud to be able to work with Roberto and Stephen to provide you with a variety of options to enjoy this fantastic material.

This is one of the few books I really really love. I read the original German edition in the late 80s when it first appeared and have ever since referred back to it. The important part with this ebook is that Roberto not just teaches you a number of the best self-working or sleightless card tricks, but he teaches you presentation, routining and a number of other important points and subtleties to make these effects absolute miracles.

Although I am not such a bad card handler myself I have time and time again fooled the pants off of my spectators and even magic friends with some of the most clever self-working tricks. For a performer these tricks are even more valuable than a knuckle buster because you can put so much more work into the presentation, timing, script, spectator handling etc., than if you have to master a sequence of difficult moves. Some consider this a beginners ebook. I consider this one of the most advanced works on card magic, because the cleverness in the tricks and presentation is at least on par with a riffle-pass or a centre deal. Of course, it is material that is also suitable for a beginner, but I think it needs an old and advanced hand to appreciate these effects and get the most out of it.

On my website you can read the full list of effects with effect description.

Best,
Chris....
http://www.lybrary.com
Simon Aronson has some brilliant self-working effects. Check out his wonderful DVD series as a starting point, then venture forward to his fantastic books!

Yes, I'm a big fan of Simon Aronson!!

Cheers,
Jason
A couple of books not yet mentioned with a good percentage of self-workers are Annemann's Card Magic and Garcia and Schindler's Magic with Cards. One rarely sees the Annemann book mentioned on the MC and it is an overlooked classic in my estimation.

-Feral
I did end up buying Giobbi's 'Card College Light' and I've got to say it's a must-have. His routining and presentation are flawless.

My favorite self-working trick used to be 'Gemini Twins'. After reading this book it's now 'T.N.T.' followed by 'Intuition'. You wouldn't believe the reactions I get!
Aldo Colombini has (had?) a booklet out called "Impromptu Card Magic". I haven't read it myself, but if it has the same caliber of trick that his DVD series ("Impromptu Card Magic" - 3 dvd set) has, it is very good.

I've seen the booklet for sale at magic conventions, but had a hard time finding a lot of online stores that carried it (I saw tannens.com had it).
Feral Chorus,

I'll have to check my Annemann's Card Magic again because I don't remember there being a lot of self-working stuff in it. Thanks for that suggestion.
EricClark, thanks for the information. I've been looking for that Colombini book ever since I bought his [i]Simply Impromp2[/i] book, which also contains quite a few gems. In fact, it has become my "bible" for picking up some really great card tricks.
Aldo Colombini's Self-working Books. Both of them. Great magic from great minds.
"What's Up Deck" by Aldo Colombini has a lot of material.
I would reccomend the 'Collected Tricks of Bob Hummer' by Karl Fulves (which is quite hard to get hold of). I would also reccomend 'Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks' also by Karl Fulves. This is published by Dover books and, happily, it is quite easy to get hold of...
Isn't there a book out by max maven(phil goldstein) on just packet tricks/selfworking tricks? I believe it was called "focus". I go through my books with the correct title unless someone beats me to it.
Yes, FOCUS is the correct title. This is a wonderful book. However, I don't recall it having particularly self-working tricks in it. Better know your packet sleights!
Any books by Aldo Colombini,Peter Duffie and the Anneman Card book is full of self-workers.
Karl Fulves self working books have some stong and easy magic
Also check out [i]Ellis Stanyon's Best Card Tricks[/i] and [i]Charles Jordan's Best Card Tricks[/i] (as compiled and edited by Karl Fulves).

Sean
I second the recommendations for Card College Light, it's an amazing book that I find myself going back to often.
I third the recommendation. Just for the first two tricks alone -- not only great but the way they flow together makes an absolute amateur like me look very polished.
I don't seem to see these anywhere in here: Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic card tricks (all volumes).
Also, you really can't go wrong with any of Simon Aronson's books either.

Cheers.
J.Warrens
"Verbal Magic" by Navarro & Tamariz recently published by Hermetic Press should be added to the list as well as the soon to be published "Card College Lighter"
Verbal Magic is a good book. Some real foolers in there!
One of my favorite books is George Schindler's Magic with Cards book. It is full of easy-to-do card effects.
"Cartomagia Semiautomatica" by Dani Daortiz, but it's in spanish.
And through all of this not ONE mention of Stewart James!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2011-09-19 18:04, Vlad_77 wrote:

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[/quote]
...nor Rufus Steele... shhhhhh
[quote]
On 2011-09-19 19:14, magicfish wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-19 18:04, Vlad_77 wrote:

Ahimsa,
Vlad
[/quote]
...nor Rufus Steele... shhhhhh
[/quote]

LOL mum's da woid my friend!!
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 05:02, Pavloter wrote:
IMPUZZIBILITIES - Jim Steinmeyer
Further Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer
[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------

...and now we can add SUBSEQUENT IMPUZZIBILITIES for even more super really self-working card tricks!

Julie
There are some strong self-workers in Woody Aragon's new book, "A Book in English."

It is being discussed here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=407177&forum=110&start=0
One for the near future: “Magical Mathematics: The Mathematical Ideas that Animate Great Magic Tricks,” by Persi Diaconis & Ron Graham.

The amazon product description:

<<Magical Mathematics reveals the secrets of amazing, fun-to-perform card tricks--and the profound mathematical ideas behind them--that will astound even the most accomplished magician. Persi Diaconis and Ron Graham provide easy, step-by-step instructions for each trick, explaining how to set up the effect and offering tips on what to say and do while performing it. Each card trick introduces a new mathematical idea, and varying the tricks in turn takes readers to the very threshold of today's mathematical knowledge. For example, the Gilbreath Principle--a fantastic effect where the cards remain in control despite being shuffled--is found to share an intimate connection with the Mandelbrot set. Other card tricks link to the mathematical secrets of combinatorics, graph theory, number theory, topology, the Riemann hypothesis, and even Fermat's last theorem.

Diaconis and Graham are mathematicians as well as skilled performers with decades of professional experience between them. In this book they share a wealth of conjuring lore, including some closely guarded secrets of legendary magicians. Magical Mathematics covers the mathematics of juggling and shows how the I Ching connects to the history of probability and magic tricks both old and new. It tells the stories--and reveals the best tricks--of the eccentric and brilliant inventors of mathematical magic. Magical Mathematics exposes old gambling secrets through the mathematics of shuffling cards, explains the classic street-gambling scam of three-card monte, traces the history of mathematical magic back to the thirteenth century and the oldest mathematical trick--and much more.>>

Available on October 23, 2011 !!!
Don't forget Paul Clive's excellent Card Tricks Without Skill.
Steve Beam's Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, parts 1-N.
QUite a few amazing self-workers in Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy...

-Rob
QUite a few amazing self-workers in Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy...

-Rob
Bob Longe is another name to add to the list.
Card Magic by Bill Okal.
Tours de Carts Automatique- Richard Vollmer
A Book in English by Woody Aragon is absolutely amazing. I strongly recommend it to you.

greetings,
I agree that the Woody Aragon book is a delight. There are two no/low sleight tricks that I have incorporated immediately.
[quote]
On 2011-09-19 15:52, drd00m wrote:
"Cartomagia Semiautomatica" by Dani Daortiz, but it's in spanish.
[/quote]

This is now available in English, from Tannen's:

http://www.tannens.com/shop//cart.php?m=product_detail&p=9416
No one remenber the lot of Vernon semiautomatic gems hidden among his (Ganson, Cervon) books.
If you like DVDs then there's the big blind media collection of ultimate self workers, and awesoem self workers, and Ryan schluz's two DVDs. I've got a couple from that lot and they are quite good.
My new book will contain mostly automatic or semi-automatic material, well within the reach of anyone with basic card handling skills.
I been lucky to get a sneak preview of some of the items going into Ben's new book. Absolute killers... Conditions so fair it makes you laugh.

Ryan
[quote]On Nov 18, 2015, Ben Blau wrote:
My new book will contain mostly automatic or semi-automatic material, well within the reach of anyone with basic card handling skills. [/quote]

When is this book going to be released?
Just finished my first run through of the two new Semi-Automatic card tricks by Steve Beam. They are brilliant. Lots and lots of new principles in both volumes 9 and 10 and some great updates of old effects too. There is a wonderful chapter on completely impossible locations. I love stuff like that. Also a great little three card monte that works in super slow motion. The best thing about them though is the humour and amazing presentations for nearly all of the routines. A bucket load of great self working card magic.
[quote]On Nov 18, 2015, RSchlutz wrote:
I been lucky to get a sneak preview of some of the items going into Ben's new book. Absolute killers... Conditions so fair it makes you laugh.

Ryan [/quote]

Thank you, Ryan. I feel the same way about your work, my friend!
[quote]On Nov 25, 2015, LoveKey1988 wrote:
[quote]On Nov 18, 2015, Ben Blau wrote:
My new book will contain mostly automatic or semi-automatic material, well within the reach of anyone with basic card handling skills. [/quote]

When is this book going to be released? [/quote]

All I can say for sure is that it will be sometime in 2016. It's a big book, most likely at least 300 pages of material. I'll try to keep everyone posted when it's closer to being finished.
The card magic of nick trost and scarne on card tricks