(Close Window)
Topic: Cups and Balls vs the Chop Cup
I plan on getting both of these but I am curious as to which more people favor.
I myself have seen some killer cup and ball routines but not many chop cup routines.
Also what are some of your favorite offbeat loads that no one ever expected to be there, and what is the strangest routine you have ever seen?
:cups:

Chris
If you can't decide why not get both in one.
Buy a combo cups and balls set.
You will have both at your disposal.
:magicrabbit:
Guardian,
In my post I mentioned I am getting both, but just wondered what everyone else preferred.
I like the idea of being able to have two different routines.
I was also curious as to the differnt loads others use. That may give me ideas to modify the routines to my liking.
Thanks for the input though. I really appreciate the help.

Chris
A lot of what you prefer should depend on how well you can sell the routine to the audience. By its very nature, a cup and ball routine will probably last longer than a chop cup routine.

The loads have a lot to do with what you will use.
I've done a number of chop-cup routines but I'm using the cups and balls most of the time now.

With C&B all kinds of effects can be done, but the chop-cup is restricted to only one. Ball vanishes and returns under the cup. (I'm exaggerating.) And I have finished producing three large loads.
It does depend on the routine.
But -- I get a better result using an ordinary cup and a borrowed 5 note.

I don't know the reason for using a gimmicked cup in the first place, but I have read it was to fool magicians by showing the cup mouth down.
It doesn't save much in the way of sleights as we still have to load some balls anyway, and the final loads.

I like the idea of a combo set because then the cup can be used only once to show it's empty: in the middle of a routine. Or do a short chop-cup interlude before loading the final loads, or even after two cups are loaded.

I'm not sure a chop cup is worth the trouble because everything can be done with sleights anyway.
A chop-cup is good however if I need a short routine in a walk-around act or when I'm surrounded by grabbing children.

Just my thoughts.

As to final loads, I use standard fruit -- tomatoes, potatoes, lemons.
I wouldn't use livestock -- chicks or mice.
I have used metal balls.

I use the cups and balls to close, by the way, as I've never found anything to follow them.
Eddie
Charlie Frye has a great two cup one chop cup routine on his video, [i]Eccentrics[/i].
Regarding loads in the chop cup, I do a chop cup routine with THREE final loads. So the only restriction to the number of balls used is in the first part of the routine. I don't see that as a restriction or a limitation, really. I see it as a way of cutting down the amount of preamble before you get to the part of the routine that gathers the most applause.
The best reason for using a chop cup is it can be done in a restaurant setting. Where as a full set of cups and balls is difficult if not imposable to work out in a restaurant. As for chop cup loads three, lemon, lime, medium sized die.
As for loads with cups and balls, how about three juggling balls and one large stage juggling ball!
Chop cup is not seen as often but don't let that be a consideration since there are a whole lot of people out there who haven't seen magic in person.

I think many magicians don't fully appreciate the chop cup because essentially they copy the routine as done for years by Don Alan. There are many more things that can be done. Also we tend to rely too much on the gimmick and tend to forget that sleight-of-hand applies to chop cup as well.

Alan, btw, seems to be the only magician who could get away with using Chop Cup and Benson Bowl in the same act. Couple that with his Hat Trick, he essentially did the same effect three times.
I have seen large metal ball bearings used.
I agree with some of the earlier posts in that the chop cup is less often seen and easier to use in a walk around/restrauant setting.

I am a cheap magician in that I can't afford such things, so instead of buying a chop cup I just used one of my cups and some of the balls from my c&b to do a chop cup routine. It took a long time to be able to get the angles and loads down but afterward it floored people.
Go with the Cups and Balls. They are more original.
Actually, a chop cup routine is no different than a one cup routine. It is focused and effective. Most routines overuse the gimmick, relying wholly on its unique properties for the working of the routine. There is just as much latitude for personal expression with the added benefit of strength of conviction.

Almost anything that can be done with three cups can be done with one and to greater effect as spectators can not argue that they were looking over here while you "did that."

ajp
I have a set of 3 cups with one chop cup and use them separately or together with great fun. I think that when you are into the cups and balls you want to learn and paractice everything related to these babies...
I do a 2 cup, C&B routine. One of the cups is Chop and is used sparingly but really adds to the impact of the routine. I use it early and then dump the gimmicked balls so it doesn't interfere with the rest of the routine. As time goes on I have become a firm believer that 3 cups are just not needed.
I always explain that normally 3 are used but since they have only 2 eyes I will use only 2 cups.

Also David Regal has a really cute chop cup routine in his book [i]Closeup and Personal[/i] called "My Best Friend." I use it sometimes for variety and have made some changes in the final load so that I can do it table hopping or strolling.
In short it uses furry little mice that can be bought in the pet dept. It is easy to gimmick one with a magnet and your set.
I would prefer 3 regular and 1 chop cup...that way I've got both. :)
I personally prefer the cups and balls, but I thought some of you may like to know that Brad Burt has a coffee cup Chop Cup. You can see it at his website magicshop.com Check it out. If it matches the cups in a restaurant that you work in, it would be very deadly!!! :firedevil:

Posted: Aug 31, 2003 6:45pm
Sorry about that! I meant RESTAURANT!!! Guess I got a little too excited about reaching the 150 post mark!
Hey it's cool, grammar sucks anyway.
I guess this is obvious but one advanteage of the CC is it is great for close up. It can be done fast or slow with a great finale. The C&B is better for a parlor setting. But both great classics!
I have never used a chop cup, but I have used C&B alot. I recently performed a week at the Magic Castle's Close-Up gallery. My routine is a bit different. I use chili peppers throughout my show. So I perform the cups and chili peppers, using small cherry peppers. My Finals are ordinary colored balls as I tell the audience that I have been lying the whole time and that this is a classic effect known as the Cups and Balls. I've done several very unique C&B routines and my advice is to make yours different than others and to use your personality, As Michael Ammar says, "you are the magic."
Saw you do the Chili pepper routine... enjoyed it. :applause:
I think the funniest routine I ever saw was baby chicks in the final load! They were being handled kind of roughly, and that might not go over too well, today.

I don't remember the magus that I saw doing that, but it was very entertaining. Mice would be funny, too, but women (my girlfriend, in particular, is AGAINST using livestock in magic) are sensitive to animals being handled too roughly. I guess it depends on who(m) you're performing for...or to...(preposition at the end of a sentence...BLAAAAT! Grammer alarm goes off!)

Grammar sucks.

Doug
Yes the most memorable I've seen in close up is the C&B with baby chicks as the final load. My jaw just dropped and I've been hooked to magic since then.
Learn the cups and balls because it develops other skills (timing, misdirection, etc.). Then decide if the chop cup is for you.

Jeff
Most magicians do use the C&B. The CC is not used as much. Do you think most magicians like C&B more because it has more rountines or because there are more videos/books/dvds explaining how to do it?
Paul Daniels does a good giant chop cup routine. I think they are both good. It depends on how well your routine is.

James
Paul Daniels does NOT DO A GOOD CHOP CUP ROUTINE... he does a BRILLIANT, FANTASTIC, AWESOME routine. :stircoffee:
Actually, I think there is more magic with the cups and balls which is why you see it more often at magic shows or clubs.

Most guys who do the chop cup, just do the STUPID (IMHO) guessing game of "Where's the ball; in my hand or the pocket?" and then surprise, there's a big ball. How boring. Of course there are the exceptions, but generally speaking...

Whereas on the cups and balls you have vanishes, productions, transportations, gambling/guessing games and then after using all these cups, BAM! 3 or more large loads. And that is just the basic routine.

I think most restaurant workers use the chop cup due to the table space requirements. If you are going to use a two cup routine, don't forget Dave Williamson's on [i]Sleightly Dave[/i]. Very good routine.

Kirk Grodske
They can all be good... it is up to the presenter. :nana:
I don't like the usual chop cup routines either.
I do like John Bannon's routine (Chop 2)
and I also like his cups and balls routine.
I just bought the book [i]The Uncanny Scot Ron Wilson[/i] and it contains the most unique chop cup routine I've ever come across. The effect is called "The Uncanny Chop Cup" and uses a silk, a shot glass, and a chop cup. If you're looking for something different this is it.
Sounds like a Larry Jennings thing.
[quote]
On 2003-11-07 13:56, Frank Starsini wrote:
Sounds like a Larry Jennings thing.
[/quote]
It is the Larry Jennings thing. Larry based his version almost completely on Ron Wilson's original and highly entertaining routine.
A ha. I have some booklet on the chop cup that has this sort of routine in it. I also have the Jennings book but his chop cup routine is not in it.

Where can one acquire both the Wilson original and the Jennings routine?
Isn't that in the "How to Book for the Chop Cup"?

Same silk/shotglass thing. Rather old from the fifties.
The Jennings routine can be found in Jim Swain's [i]21st Century Card Magic.[/i]

Ron
Thanks Ron.

Right KingStarDog. I think that's what I have.

I kind of like that idea. I was playing with a routine like that of my own for a while but got swept away by other things, I suppose.
I prefer sets that include a chop cup in the set. I can do an elimination sequence with the balls as well as the cups. :bwink:
I've often pondered over the years of putting together a routine that used 3 chop cups, and work it as primarily a C&B routine with maybe a couple added convincers using the chop gimmicks.

Any opinions on whether something like that would be effective? I've no doubt that the purists amongst you (and you know who you are) would cringe at the idea, but I always thought if it were structured properly the whole could turn out to be greater than the sum of its parts. Meaning it could possibly be better than either routine by itself. At least that should be the goal, otherwise, why bother?

I could get 3 Johnson Chop cups for not much more than their C&B's, which I've been thinking of getting anyway.

But I would want to know if the chop cup would pick up a ball off the cup underneath it while the ball is in the attic. Anyone know for sure if it would?

Best,
Bill
I worked out a routine using three "chopped" cups for the cups and balls... you DO NOT use the gaffed balls until later in the routine when you switch 'em in.

Yes, the problem is the ball will lift from the attic.
[quote]
Yes, the problem is the ball will lift from the attic.
[/quote]
I guess that's either a problem or an asset depending on your desires.

Reminds me of the ol' computer adage..."that's not a bug, its a feature."

Best,
Bill
I prefer the C&B's to the CC more so because the C&B provide more that can be done. I have always avoided using the combo set becasue I have yet to see a set where the gimmick of the chop cup was not massively different from those of the regular cups.

My cups are fully examined before I do the trick and I often have people coming up afterwards to ask to see them. I want no doubt in anyone's mind that there is anything gimmicked with the cups. I also have yet to see anything done with the chop cup that could not be duplicated with SOH (this is where I get 50 replies saying how could you do this without the gimmick!!!).

Though if anyone knows of a set that is different please let me know. They would not need to make the gimmick any different, just add psuedo gimmicks to the other cups really. It might be fun to play with. I do a one cup routine in the middle of the act anyway and I don't see why a chop cup could not make it more fun.

BTW has anyone ever had a problem with handing out a CC for examination and had other items on the table react to the gimmick?

Just curious,

Mat Random
I don't care for the chop cup. I do a one cup routine with a regular cup. The reason for me disliking the chop cup is this:

It never wants to release the ball when I want it to. Not without the spectators noticing (I at least think they do) me doing "it" harder than usual--do you know what I mean?

Besides with a little extra work I can make the one cup routine look exactly like the chop cup.

Jesper
Jesper, as a fellow Dane, I suggest the following move to "release" the ball. Do NOT set the cup down square to the table. Let ONE EDGE (cup tipped) down and when it strikes the table the ball drops zig-zag style and will not bounce back up and stick to the M****T. :carrot:
[quote]
On 2003-11-11 04:03, Jesper Amstrup wrote:
I don't care for the chop cup. I do a one cup routine with a regular cup. The reason for me disliking the chop cup is this:

It never wants to release the ball when I want it to. Not without the spectators noticing (I at least think they do) me doing "it" harder than usual--do you know what I mean?

Besides with a little extra work I can make the one cup routine look exactly like the chop cup.

Jesper
[/quote]

Certainly something to consider.
Bringing the CC down NOT square on the surface is quite necessary depending on the surface.

When I was using the same restaurant tables all the time, it was no problem. But switching to a padded surface later made things very different.

Yikes.
I have a set of the Herb Morrisey Combo Cups from the 70's and I doubt a spectator could tell which cup has the secret stuff. John Mendoza has a great routine that exploits these features.

I have [i]The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings[/i] and he has his chop cup routine in there. Also the Don Alan routine is similar to Larry's and Ron's.

Kirk
In this discussion on C&B vs CC, there are several points to consider:
1 - The number of cups. Obviously, with more than one cup, you can do more: the cup through cup move; the balls through cup phase; and the transpositions between cups. With only one cup, you lose all this, so the only transpositions that you can get are from your hand or pocket to the cup. However, with one cup, you need less of a performance area so you gain there.
2 - The chop method. The chop cup is great for one reason and one reason only: You can lift the cup and show it empty one second, then drop the cup and immediately show that the ball is now under the cup. You can approximate this move with sleight of hand, but it is nowhere near as clean.

Kirk mentioned John Mendoza's routine and it really is a wonderful routine using a combo-set (although you do have to be seated). Nowadays, I use a chop cup purely for portability.

Jesper complained about the ball sticking to the cup. While Pete mentioned that a slightly different handling of the cup would help the problem, this is really a manufacturing problem. That is, with a smaller m****t in the cup or the ball, the attraction wouldn't be as strong, so the problem wouldn't occur. Have a look at the props and see if you can push the m****t further into the ball (thereby weakening the attraction). With my chop cup, I don't have to bang the cup; a gentle tap and the ball is dislodged. Alternatively, try replacing the m****t in the ball with a nail. Assuming there is a m****t in the cup, you may find that the nail works well.
I'm partial to the one cup routines (easier to carry about the restaurant).
I actually use a paper Starbucks coffee cup. I like using props that people know and it allows me to use a wooden coffee stir stick as a comedy magic wand (the cup costs so much...but they do give you this free magic wand).

I would like to eventually create a gaff that would make this cup a chop cup.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get oversized coffee beans? I may end up making my own from fimo clay.
[quote]
On 2003-11-11 11:53, Pete Biro wrote:
Jesper, as a fellow Dane, I suggest the following move to "release" the ball. Do NOT set the cup down square to the table. Let ONE EDGE (cup tipped) down and when it strikes the table the ball drops zig-zag style and will not bounce back up and stick to the M****T. :carrot:
[/quote]

Believe me, I have done what I could to solve it. I just don't feel good if the moves aren't consistent. If they notice that, I'm busted. I don't like gimmicks that aren't hidden, like a TT.

A friend of mine was table hopping with a chop cup. One of the spectators was handed the wand and told to hit the cup like a man. One of the other spectators decided to join the fun and hit the cup with his spoon--what harm could that do :)

Well...he had to use both hands to get his spoon back, that's for sure. Now that's the classic "magician in trouble" ploy. :)

Anyway, I like to use a regular cup. Then I don't have to keep track of the special ball. I usually improvise the chop cup. I know how to begin and how to end. This way I can suit the routine to the spectators and the climax gets maximum impact. And as a bonus I get to play with different techniques. :)
If I had table space to perform on, the cups and balls would be by far my best trick, and that includes the chop cup routines I've seen. So much more variation.

But without a table, the Dennis Loomis Micro Chop Cup (made by Jim Riser) is a little gem. There's two cups that he sells, and the more popular one is the one which looks like a spirit measure, and not as "proppy" as a big cup. The cup is small, the loads are bright and the magic is huge. Highly recomended.

Damien.
Correction: [i]The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings[/i] has his "One Cup" routine, not the chop cup. Also, the shot glass and scarf idea is apparently Ron Wilson's. Since I don't have [i]The Uncanny Scot[/i], I am unsure of where I read about this routine. I will try and find out, but don't hold your breath.

Kirk
If you have difficulty with a chop in the combo cup set and can't seem to follow the ball the way you should:
[list=A]
[*]Sweater balls. Take a similar colored embroidery thread that is slightly off color and sew it around "the" ball in a four section split. If the color is close enough you will see it and the specs won't.

[*]Ring with a neo****** in it not only will allow you to feel which one you have, but gives you a Killer "chop hand."

[*]A neo "sweet spot" on your table in one corner can also help. You could also have one in a comedy location in your clothes.

[*]Wand "balancing" the balls with the right wand.
[/list]
Actually the concept of loading a cup under cover of the silk handkerchief (as in Ron Wilson's routine and later adapted by Larry Jennings) came originally from Bob Stencel. :kewl:
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Nov 25, 2003 06:06PM)
If you're going for that "impromptu" appearance, a rolled up napkin (roll the **g**t in) and a paper cup with a r***r bl*** stuck inside a circle of paper in the bottom takes care for setup. BIG beans are not really nice props. GIANT SPONGE beans might be fun. Very tough to beat a hot cup of coffee load, especially when you start covering the cup with the traveler cap. ;)

On a related theme, has anyone considered the fun of doing a C/S/B with the sugar/Sweet & Low/Equal packets?
It could lead up to a really stunning Sweet Salt at the end. :)
I guess it is always the effect, not the gimmick, but I would have the say Cups and Balls. For me there is not really a comparison, as they are very different I think. I feel that, as many others have said, CandB's can do so much more, and is a nice, ling, versatile routine, whereas the chop cup, for me, is just not interesting enough. And I prefer gimmickless props anyway.
While I admittedly prefer gimmickless props, as they are typically more versatile, I never fail to use a gimmick when it can enhance the performance of the effect.

Kirk
For a few months I have been using the Dennis Loomis Routine with the James Riser/Dennis Loomis Micro Chop Cup. It's wonderful--small and all the magic is in your hands. Because the cup is placed in your palm, you always know if the ball is on your palm and there is no sound with the ball's release. One of the chop cups in the set looks like a solid shot "glass" and does not look like a magical piece of apparatus. Although I haven't done it, liquid can be poured into the cup and then the cup vanishes.
Richard
Thanks to doowopper and to Damien Keen for the kind comments on the Loomis/Riser Micro Chop Cup. Incidently, Damien, the sales don't support your contention that the Stainless Steel Cup is more popular. The biggest seller has been the combination set, which includes both of the styles. But in the single cup sales, we've sold more of the Copper Cups.

To Jesper...it sounds to me like you do not have a good match of your chop cup and ball. It's way too strong. Don't judge all chop cups by your set. When we were working on the design of the Loomis/Riser Micro Chop Cups we assumed that we could buy balls from another source. We found that the strength of the balls were all over the place. In a batch of a dozen from the same supplier, there would be ones that were too weak, ones that were too strong, etc. Jim Riser makes the balls that we supply because we were determined that the props would work properly. I do the shipping and do a test of every set before I ship it just as a final quality check.

I suggest that no matter what size chop cup you have, you play with a routine done in your hands. There's one subtle but important advantage that has not yet been mentioned in this thread. (The fact that you always know if the ball is released and that there are no talking problems are important, but have been mentioned above.) Assume that a chop cup is sitting on the table and it's necessary to release the ball. You have to create some reason for lifting the cup and putting it back down. Repeated enough, this is unnatural and suspicious. Since only one ball is in play, and it's either in view or they've just seen you put it in your pocket, showing the cup is "running when no one is chasing you." (A quote from Al Baker.)

But, if you have a cup sitting on your outstretched fingers, you only have to create a motivation for using the hand. Here are some that can be used at almost any time:

The other hand comes over and lifts the cup from above so that the hand which has been holding the cup can gesture while you are speaking. Or, so that the hand can reach up and adjust your glasses. Or, so that the hand can reach and pick up your drink to take a sip. Or, so that the hand can reach out to hand something to or take something from a spectator or from a pocket. In the process, you reinforce the idea that the cup is empty without making an issue of it. In all of these cases as the hand comes back into position and the cup is replaced, the release is done.

Incidently, when you do the release on the hand, the hand which is receiving the cup can move slightly upward and participate in creating the force necessary for the release. That makes it a less noticable move as well.

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
I love the chop cup because it seems so fair. I've developed my routine based off of Bannon's Chop2 but did away with the nut sequence because it seemed to be too much time in the pockets for me and I added a few things to it. The fact is with traditional cups and balls, 3 cups, it seems very intrusive while walking around or table hopping. It's like "I'm here! Put everything aside for me the MAGICIAN" whereas the chop cup can be just as entertaining if not better because of reasons already stated and takes up maybe a 3 inch space on the table. If you're entertaining people will love it. I tend to act just as surprised as they are when things happen in the routine. Plus pocket management on the traditional set is a pain...who wants to carry around all 3 cups plus like 4 final loads all night? NOT ME...but maybe some of you. Have fun and Keep Creating!!!
Is anyone playing with the ball on a string thing from that old book? The one where you can tip the inverted cup towards the audience to show the ball.

:)

Just asking
In one of my early lectures, I used to take the glasses you get in hotels, with the paper wrapping, and put a magnet in the paper... you could do a Chop Cup type routine and vanish the glass at the finish. :bunny: