(Close Window)
Topic: Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
Hello,

I'm not a beginner to magic, but I'm also not very great. Would you recommend Wilsons book? I know this book is great for beginners, but could a person with one year experience gain anything from it? Would it be worth the money?

P.S.
Are all of the sleights and tricks obtainable from the Internet, somewhere?
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 4, 2007 10:07PM)
SBosma,

I do not know what kind of magic you do perform. So it is difficult to comment. However, Mark Wilson`s book provides a great and affordable overview of the world of magic with a lot of good insights.

Most sleights and tricks can be bought from Internet-shops as well. Use the search engine for some recommendations and also some more details on the book.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=150142&forum=41&133

Andy
I am a working professional and I refer back to this book constantly. It is always the book I recommend immediately to any beginner of magic, as well as to anyone that is just looking for a great resource. Many of the routines you can take and add more complicated sleights and unique presentations to create killer professional effects.

P.S. Nearly anything can be found on the internet if you look long enough - that shouldn't matter. This book is so cheap to contain so much invaluable information, you should just invest the money in it.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 4, 2007 10:09PM)
Brian,

we posted at precisely the same time. That is magic

Andy
Considering how good this book is, and the low cost to obtain it, you would be very hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere else, including the internet. I say bite the bullet and invest in this excellent book.
I got this book for $5, it's a no brainer.
Great book, been a standard for years, covers a wide area of magic, and if you want one autographed, you can buy it from Mark and Nani on their site and ask them to auto it. http://www.markwilsonmagic.com
[quote]
On 2007-02-04 23:09, Andy the cardician wrote:
Brian,

we posted at precisely the same time. That is magic

Andy
[/quote]

Wow - real magic in the real world. Why can't all magic be like that? :)
Wow, five dollars. Didn't know it was that cheap.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 5, 2007 12:22AM)
The official list price is a little bit higher - just check Amazon
I can't recommend this book enough. Regardless of what type of magic one likes to perform, you'll find something of interest inside.

It is a great reference to have in any magical library and will become used often.

Mark. :readingbook:
Well as for me, all I can tell you is that in all the posts I've seen I'd say there is on one who [b]wouldn't[/b] recommend Wilson's Complete course.
How does this book compare to Royal Road and/or Card College in regards to material covered? Is there going to be a huge overlap or are they different enough that it is worth picking Mark Wilson's book up as well?
OK, that was supposed to be a [b]NO[/b], not an ON, but the silly forum wouldn't let me edit it right away...
[quote]
On 2007-02-05 10:05, tupawk wrote:
How does this book compare to Royal Road and/or Card College in regards to material covered? Is there going to be a huge overlap or are they different enough that it is worth picking Mark Wilson's book up as well?
[/quote]

Royal Road and Card College are strictly different from Mark Wilson's book. Mark Wilson's book covers many different aspect of magic such as card tricks while Royal Road and Card College are strictly for cards alone.
Allright, This'll be on my next purchase.
The sponge ball routine I got out of this was worth the 5 bucks alone. As soon as I get a set of cups and balls I will be taking notes from this again.
[quote]
On 2007-02-04 22:33, sBosma wrote:P.S.
Are all of the sleights and tricks obtainable from the Internet, somewhere?
[/quote]

Am I the only one that read this part of his post?
Habu, Tupawk posted a reply just after you did, which is why the edit feature was no longer available.

I did read the part about him wanting to obtain the information for free from the internet but quickly dismissed it. I assumed that the reason he asked was because he thought the book might cost over $40. Most books in magic are not cheap.

sBosma, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic covers so many areas that I just don't know where to begin. There are tricks on nearly every conceivable subject and area of magic. From close-up to stage. From cards, to coins, to impromptu, to the classics. It really is a complete course in magic.

If you want an "alternative", try Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. It is a condensed version of the complete course, is smaller and has fewer effects in it. It also costs a little less, depending on where you purchase it.
I didn't think it was that expensive, I just thought it was around 25 dollars. That's why I asked if it was obtainable from the internet. I would've just researched on the internet for awhile instead of paying. Since it covers ALL areas of magic it probably is available on the net, but it's cheap so I'll buy it.

Thanks again,
Spencer.
$4.18 (used), $13,57 (new paperback) at Amazon....

:magicrabbit:
This book should be in every magicians library
Hi there,

Mark Wilson's was the first book I ever bought, and I am sooooo glad I did! It teaches you the basics of most areas of magic. I am still dropping into from time to time and my performance table is a straight copy of the plan in the book.

I strongly advise you purchase it!!!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
With over 500 pages it's a great value for the money. You can't go wrong with this book.
Sounds like I am going to have to pick this one up :)
Neil ( MagiCanada ) the owner of OmniMagic dropped by my house today and gave me the Complete Course in Magic, FREE. I can see now how it is worth the money.

Thanks Neil,

Spencer
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 10, 2007 09:28PM)
Amen
Good stuff. Get it and you'll not regret it. (yeah, I know I sound like Ron Popeil!)
This is a very resourceful book that I look into very often. It teaches you coin's, cards, rope magic, mentalism and many other very great effects. It also teaches you how to construct amazing illusions. I think this book should be in every magicians library.
[quote]
On 2007-02-10 22:25, sBosma wrote:
Neil ( MagiCanada ) the owner of OmniMagic dropped by my house today and gave me the Complete Course in Magic, FREE. I can see now how it is worth the money.

Thanks Neil,

Spencer
[/quote]

You're more than welcome Spencer! I'm very happy to give you the free book and I know you'll get a LOT of use out of it.

When I dropped by your house your dad told me that you do magic every day and it's "not a phase." :) Too funny! Sounds like me when I was your age.

Neil
[quote]
On 2007-02-11 14:15, MagiCanada wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-02-10 22:25, sBosma wrote:

Thanks Neil,

Spencer
[/quote]

You're more than welcome Spencer! I'm very happy to give you the free book and I know you'll get a LOT of use out of it.

When I dropped by your house your dad told me that you do magic every day and it's "not a phase." :) Too funny! Sounds like me when I was your age.

Neil

[/quote]
Now, that's something you don't see everyday! It's the true essence of helping other. Bravo, Neil!
One thing I like about Mark Wilson's book is that it has something new for me each time I read it because my magical interests keep changing. I mean that as my interests in magic change over time, I find myself reading chapters I only leafed through the last time I opened it. The book covers such a wide range of magical ideas that it never grows old.

Cheers!
The thing about MWCCIM is that, even though some of the tricks in it are quite simple, some of them are just great. For example, although I have never tried it, the coin in a ball of wool seems to have the potential of making people talk about you weeks after the show.
I've owned Mark Wilson's Course in Magic for a while now and STILL refer to it very often. So many routines and effects. It seems to cover all types of magic, from sponge balls to stage illusions. Anyone who reads this thread in the future for the same reason - inquiring about whether or not to buy this book - don't look any further. It is an investment in your magic career that you will never regret buying.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Feb 25, 2007 02:17AM)
And at that price, I would rarely call it an investment . . .
I don't know if this has been asked in this thread, from my glance I didn't see, but from MWCCIM...

Does anyone use this stuff in their professional act? Or do you use a variation of the theme?

Just curious as I like this book also.