(Close Window)
Topic: Kolossal Killer!
Is this effect that great?
Try this:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_results_topics.php?search_id=2467588] KOLOSSAL KILLER SEARCH [/url]

Regards,

Mesquita
Yes it is if done right. Fries their brain.
ABSOLUTELY...with the right wallet & presentation this really is a Killer.

peace, charlie
Some people love it and some hate it. I have been using it for a while and love it. I would def. check it out.
I perform it at least once a day if not more. It is always with you and it just boggles the mind. I have people ask me about it all the time. Spectators remember it and tell their freinds.

Get Kenton's wallet. It is the best.

Cody
It is an awesome effect can be routined as either a quick & astonishing interlude or as defined presentational piece. Get it & then PM me & I will gladly share some presentational thoughts on it. BUT get it from Kenton as there are many pirated versions of his material out there.
Check out Kolossal Killer now.

Tony Curtis
My preference is Kollosal Killer II which was released through Larry Becker some years ago with Roy Roth making the wallets. It is the best version for cleanliness I think.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
I use it with Derren Brown style card forcing. It is a better out for me than an ID. And I always have it on me...it's the only thing stopping me from getting a Stealth Assasin wallet...It has also saved me from when someone tries to call me out..."Oh yeah, what card am I thinking of?"
The wallet and mini black envelopes Tony makes for Kenton are far superior than the Roth ones..its a killer trick perform it with a strong presentation and you have a mind blower on your hands. Some subtle improvements on the original wallet lift this to another level making it much easier to use leaving more concentration on your performance.

Highly recommended
Here is a list of magic dealers who carry the official Kolossal Killer wallet set certified by Kenton Knepper.

http://www.wonderwizards.com

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com

http://www.alakazam.co.uk

http://www.martinbreese.com

http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk

http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com

http://www.zauberzentrale.de

Tony Curtis
Great Effect, lends itself to many presentational interpretations and fits in your wallet. Another vote for Kenton's 'Killer' effect.

Regards,

Barrett James
This is one of my favorite effects, and I carry it with me at all times. :devilish:
I just read this text about Kenton Kneppers Kolossal Killer Book.

Do you need a special wallet or not?

----Original Text----

Kolossal Killer has become a classic piece of mentalism as well - used by such pros as Larry Becker and Jeff McBride. It's a full blown stage effect, with nothing but the minds of the audience and your everyday billfold!

NO Forces. NO Gaffed Wallet. NO Sleight of Hand, NO 52 Card Index (Not 26 cards either)... Whatever they name, you are right!

Simple, direct, awe inspiring magic and mentalism - the kind you have come to expect from Kenton Knepper.

PLUS
With this - Kenton's original version - you can do effects even the expensive gaffed wallet versions simply cannot do! AND you will receive complete routines, right out of Kenton's act.
Message: Posted by: strollingmagician (May 28, 2007 04:39PM)
Ya,why do we need another $150 wallet?
[quote]
On 2007-05-27 10:17, Jarod wrote:

Whatever they name, you are right!

[/quote]

... well.

John
[quote]
On 2007-03-13 18:39, magikcid wrote:
I use it with Derren Brown style card forcing. It is a better out for me than an ID. And I always have it on me...it's the only thing stopping me from getting a Stealth Assasin wallet...It has also saved me from when someone tries to call me out..."Oh yeah, what card am I thinking of?"
[/quote]

About to PM you.
I already own plenty of wallets can I just purchase the K.K routine-From a legitamate source..?
or should I purchase the package...?
Thank You
"e"
I use my own wallet, and never even thought about buying a special wallet.
I used to use KK years ago stopped using it. I just never found the one off idea as strong as others have.
KK Kills.

Greg Arce has a killer version called Scorched in one of his e-books I believe.
Roth hey buddy, more info on that, and is it my eyes or is your picture moving?
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 02:21, paisa23 wrote:
Roth hey buddy, more info on that, and is it my eyes or is your picture moving?
[/quote]
Here you go amigo. It's on this thread

[url]http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=62582&forum=37[/url]
Thank Ya!
:) One more try:

Do I need a special wallet or not?

Cheers,
Jarod
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 13:30, Jarod wrote:
:) One more try:

Do I need a special wallet or not?

Cheers,
Jarod

[/quote]
I do an 8 card version with my regular wallet. If you are going to do the full version then you probably need a KK wallet/Heirloom wallet.

There are also 4 card versions which can be done with a regular wallet too.
Roth,

thank you for that answer!

Regards,
Jarod
I love this effect and the one off is a killer ending, I do have the original KK wallet and I feel it is just a little to big and would like one smaller. I also own Bang On and KK is a lot more practical and using only the 8 way version it is faster too.
This is one of my favorite effect and it is always on me. :devilish:
The effect never fails to amaze -- it is so strong to most people I've performed it on, I have to be careful what follows it. I've had people ask to keep the card afterwards!

I've done this with 2 different wallets - one from Walmart, and the one I have up for sale here on the Café, which is especially for this effect

The dedicated Heirloom/Kolossal Killer wallet is definitely a plus, and can be used for other effects as well, although it's mostly useful for the KK or Heirloom effects. I love the one I have for sale, it just doesn't have enough credit card slots to double as my regular full-time wallet.

The real advantage with this effect is not having to fumble for the card. So any wallet that enables you to do this is the perfect wallet. Frankly, I haven't tried the "scaled down" version of this effect, so I've used "all" the cards.
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 13:41, Jarod wrote:
Roth,

thank you for that answer!

Regards,
Jarod
[/quote]

You do not need a special wallet, your wallet does need to be a double fold vs. a tri fold. I would get the routine and then take a few cards, go look at some wallets and see what you like the best. I used to do this all the time and didn't even know there was a special wallet. (Well a little lie, I knew about heirloom, but if KK has his own which is different I didn't know that.)

With the money you will save from not spending $150 you can buy this:
http://www.wonderwizards.com/product_info.php?products_id=9
Kolossal Killer

I just started using Kolossal Killer, its such a stunning effect, using my normal eveyday wallet, it works perfectly. A normal looking wallet that people accually use everyday lends heavly to the deception. One thing about it is quickly becomeing one of my favorite effects.

Gardini
For now I'm going to WalMart to see if I can find a Wallet that will hold the cards.
I just found Kolossal Killer with the "official certified wallet"

Did someone purchased it and is there a difference to "regular" wallets?

Cheers,
Jarod

------- Original Text from Alakazam -------

Kenton Knepper's Classic Kolossal Killer

Kolossal Killer has long been one of Kenton Knepper's favorite creations.

What is the Kolossal Killer effect? Spectator just NAME'S a playing card, and you have the correct card in your wallet! YOU ARE ALWAYS CORRECT! It is the ultimate card "out" for close-up work. The spectator can mess with you all they want - RELAX - you can still produce a playing card from your wallet, as absolute proof that you knew their card all along!

Kolossal Killer has become a classic piece of mentalism and is used by such pros as Larry Becker, Terry Seabrooke, Allan Ackerman and Jeff McBride. It is both a close up and full-blown stage effect, with nothing more than the minds of the audience and your everyday looking billfold wallet required.

NO Forces. NO Sleight of Hand, NO 52 Card Index (Not 26 cards either)... Whatever they name, you are right!

Simple, direct, awe inspiring magic and mentalism - the kind you have come to expect from Kenton Knepper.

This couldn't be easier or more diabolical. Only a very select few have been privileged to own Kenton's Kolossal Killer - until now. THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!

Get the complete original work with all the devious touches in this 16 page manuscript and for the first time the "Official Kolossall Killer wallet certified by Kenton Knepper".

Forever more you will have a truly ground-breaking reputation making effect, not "up your sleeve", but in your wallet!

Comes complete with the wallet, cards, specially made envelopes and 16 page
manuscript.

Price: £75.00
[quote]
On 2007-10-28 19:28, jerry100won wrote:
For now I'm going to WalMart to see if I can find a Wallet that will hold the cards.
[/quote]

That's what I did
$9.99 the brand is George. I took off the George emblem.
It has over 16 pockets.
I ve tried it dozens of times. I like 52 on one miracle by Dick Barry ..I get huge reactions out this. Another hidden Gem.
http://www.dickbarrymagic.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?keywords=XM027&exact_match=on
I think this is one of my favorite effects. I can always count on it to slay anyone, especially wise asses and I have further adapted the principle to create a miracle similar to a David Berglas effect. Kenton is a genious here.. absolutely brilliant. I couldn't recomend this more. The reactions are complete disbeleif. No card trick I do or have done gets the same reaction. Actuially don't buy it... you wont like it.

I have however added some further thought to his ideas and expanded the trick. An example that almost made my brother have a heart attack. He is familar with many magic methods. I called him up on the phone saying I have learn't how to read minds real this time and this was on the border of no longer being a trick:) I told him to think of any card and change his mind atleast 5 times until he was completly satisfied that I could never ever know it and it was a free choice. I said I'd be home I half an hour and he should use this time to finalise and think about his choice, speculate over it and make sure than any psychological doubt of a mental force was out his mind. This allowed him to become heavily invested in the effect emotionally and to think about it and build it up in his own mind before I even got there. I use this idea frequently for booking gigs, or doing something with the birthday girl etc..

When I arrvied home after some banter I said. You have the card in your mind and only your know it right? Name the card for the first time out loud. He names the card and I tell him to feel my jean pants pocket. He can feel only one card inside..I can see himn building it up in his mind, already he is telling himslef that that would be impossible!!! I reach in a pull out his thought of card. He almost diead of a heart attack.. That is the first time in years since Paul Harris's coin penetration thru a tic tac box that my brother has complelty gone white from shock.

Thanks Kenton!
Its awesome!!!

I use a scaled down version with my Stealth Assassin wallet.

It always blows peoples minds!!!

I even prefer to be "o*f b* o*e" (i know some doent like that part of it but I think it adds humour and more disbelief to the effect)

Not all Kentons works are for me but this has been with me since I first got it.

Peace & Love

Matt
[quote]
On 2008-10-23 22:58, JohnPIzzi.com wrote:
I ve tried it dozens of times. I like 52 on one miracle by Dick Barry ..I get huge reactions out this. Another hidden Gem.
http://www.dickbarrymagic.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi?keywords=XM027&exact_match=on
[/quote]

I second John's recommendation. I've combined Dick's 52 on 1 with Bill Abbott's Smart Ass.

Ken
It is something I always have with me.

Kenton is a great thinker!
Using the KK method I combine it with 2 wallets (SAW and Magnum)and use a couple Bang On gimicks.

Eric
'Chronologue' combined with a KK Wallet is a Colossal Killer...I absolutely love it !!..and more to the point, so do they!
Paul Mc.
I have had KK for years now and in my version I have to eliminate half the pack. I gather from the above that this has all changed. Does anyone know if this new version is just as easy to use and can you show the inside of the wallet to the specs?
Any tips on how to overcome the spec thinking you have multiple cards in your wallet? 52 on 1, makes my front pants pocket too thick.
If you get a shogun wallet you can keep all your cards on one opening. On the other end's opening...a couple bucks and you can show it otherwise empty.

Best,

Doug L.
[quote]
On 2009-01-05 21:29, itsmagic wrote:
Any tips on how to overcome the spec thinking you have multiple cards in your wallet? 52 on 1, makes my front pants pocket too thick.
[/quote]

For KK I usually say " in my wallet I have a pack of all 52 cards .." and then try to find it unsuccessfully . This makes the idea of having ANY thought of card ridiculous . Then " ...although only one is visible " .
In addition I do try and verbally force some cards and often there is some connection with the named card that I can imply was deliberate .
The funniest was a remark about 7 dwarfs was followed by the selection of 7 of Diamonds . KK is also a great out/finish to experimental verbal/mental forces.
Its one of the best , especially for the impromptu situation.
There is a similar effect in "Sean Waters - Ponderings" called Avalon, if you liked Kolossal Killer then you will love that one too.
I have just 3 available.

Tony Curtis
A VERY LIMITED NUMBER AVAILABLE NOW FOR RESERVE! THERE ARE 7 WALLETS ONLY COMING. BUY YOURS NOW AND WE'LL SHIP YOURS TO YOU AS SOON AS THEY ARRIVE (around April 2nd).

http://www.wonderwizards.com/product_info.php?products_id=408
I do this effect under the title "Heirloom" which is the same basic concept.

I chose to purchase the "Heirloom wallet" that's sold by Alakazam. While it's
true that I could probably have found something cheaper at a department
store, your time is worth something. If I have to choose between riding around
to different stores, checking the wallets and possibly buying one that I think
will work (but won't).....or spending a little extra to get a wallet made
specifically for this effect.....well, your time is worth something. :)

Great effect, though, no matter which way you go!

Tony
One could use a regular wallet for this effect, but I think that having the official wallet is a better way to go since one can show the wallet empty after removing the card due to the ingenious design.

I've tried it both ways and they're both good. But having the extra convincer takes it into the miracle class level, IMHO.
Trekdad wrote:[quote]The effect never fails to amaze.[/quote]

That might be true I guess as when I first saw it performed (Paul Daniels Magic Show)I was amazed that anyone would bother performing it as it seemed blatently obvious.

Phase27 wrote:[quote]Some people love it and some hate it.[/quote]

I hate it. At least I did until I saw John Archer's presentation of it. Without John's presentation I still hate it. With John's presentation it magically becomes the brilliant effect that everyone claims it already is.

Just my opinion.

Neal.
I do a variation on John Archer's routine (Educating Archer), which I think is by far the best version to date. Hilarious and with strong magic. That's an unbeatable combination.
If you combine parts of John Archer's routine with "Bang On" using just one w...t you've a strong miracle. Jan
I use a variation on John Archer's as well and I would agree with Mumblemore it is the best for the style of performance I do.

John
Pocket Space still packs a punch and is very easy to perform. You do need four cards in your wallet and one in your pocket, but that's not difficult.
[quote]
On 2009-04-22 18:39, Sealegs wrote:

I hate it. At least I did until I saw John Archer's presentation of it. Without John's presentation I still hate it. With John's presentation it magically becomes the brilliant effect that everyone claims it already is.

Just my opinion.

Neal.
[/quote]

Quick question for everybody about this kind of thought: do you love/hate tricks based on method or plot? Neal, for example, is plot. I happen to think this is the best way to judge something (you can find a million methods but a good plot is gold). However, when reading Neal's post, I realized that he could have missed out on something good because he was so focused on plot that he ignored the fact the same method can be used for other plots (such as Archer's).

I know it's not STRICTLY a review of KK but, after carrying around my version of KK for a couple years, I use the principle is totally different ways now, making me enjoy it a lot more.

What thinkest thou?

Lem
Anyone interested in Killer Conceptions? PM me.
[quote]
On 2009-04-24 11:44, Lemniscate wrote:
Quick question for everybody about this kind of thought: do you love/hate tricks based on method or plot? Neal, for example, is plot. I happen to think this is the best way to judge something (you can find a million methods but a good plot is gold). However, when reading Neal's post, I realized that he could have missed out on something good because he was so focused on plot that he ignored the fact the same method can be used for other plots (such as Archer's).

What thinkest thou?

Lem
[/quote]

Lem it's an interesting question.

Actually it wasn't the plot that I didn't like about the effect. My dislike for it was that 2 out of 3 times the denuemont of the effect leads to a 'wooly' climax that makes part of the method glaringly obvious. Not the entire method but the part of it and to my mind enough of it to hurt the effect. It immediately sends the spectator down a path of discovering the method. I think that's a bad thing to have built into an effect. I'm sure some will say I'm thinking like a performer and not a spectator. Maybe they're right... but then again maybe they're not. Obviously I think they're not.

John's presentational structure means that the final (alternative) reveal is no longer post hoc... it's built into the story. I don't know what the impetus was for John coming up with this brilliant presentational approach but I wouldn't be surprised if it was to negate the very reservations that I have about this effect.

John's presentation takes the effect's big weakness, puts it centre stage and actually builds the effect around it. Brillant thinking. Suddenly the effect makes sense and has a stunning spot on conclusion every performance, as opposed to 1 out of 3 times.

Not sure that I've answered your question Lem!

Neal
Sealegs, I guess you're referring to the situation where the card is not quite the card the spectator thought of. There are a lot of ways to lead the specator away from reverse engineering the method in their head.

I start with some story about studying precognition and prophesy. I tell the spectator that I placed a "prediction" in my wallet every morning to see if I can accurate predict an event at some point during the day. Through an elaborate patter I ask them to envision a playing card.

I reminder the spec that I placed a "prediction" in my wallet. I NEVER say I placed a "card" in my wallet. If they hit the 1 out of 3 ending, I pull out the card and they are amazed. If I'm off, there still pretty impressed because I'm very close. Then I remind them that I placed a "prediction" in my wallet. Then I reveal the prediction and I usually get a jawdropping response.

With subtle wording and a good storyline the trick becomes unbelievable. That deliberate and measured wording is the strength of a lot Kenton's material.
I've always liked it when the card is right on. But there's a lot to be said about having a little pause between revealing the card that's only off by one before showing the kicker ending.

Having a card that's only off by one is actually a pretty good trick in and of itself and usually gets a reaction. Milking this before going in for the "kill" is kinda cool.
Konjurer,
I appreciate the points you make, they are certainly valid and noteworthy and obviously there are many that will agree with you.

However they don't change my opinion of what I see as the weakness of this effect. I can still recall what I thought of this effect when I 1st saw it performed. My view is still, that it is, to use a good old English expression, Pants. (As in old, grey, threadbare, unattractive, underware having an indistnct, yellowish map of what looks like Indonesia adorning the front)

Seeing John's presentation though made me want to own it.(The trick not the pants)

Neal.
Is there a difference between the Killer Kolossal and Heirloom effects and if so what? Which is better? I seen the video of Heirloom and it seems impressive but from all that I read here its not that simple?!
Many professionals-more experienced than myself-- have pointed out it can be much stronger when its off. Indeed,that has been my experience. I'm sure it depends on the spectator though.
I did a show on Saturday where both the "off by one" and the right on versions occured. It's hard to say exactly which one is stronger because the reactions of both were very strong. There is an interesting feeling to the "off" version, though, so I'd definitely say that not hitting exactly does not detract from the effect in the least.
Most weak results in magic is a result from a weak performer.
I have carried KK with me since Jeff McBride showed me in 1994. I bought it from Larry Becker and use the original Roy Roth wallet which I love. How does the newer "Killer Wallet" compare?
[quote]
On 2009-06-06 00:17, Bertrand Thornley wrote:
Many professionals-more experienced than myself-- have pointed out it can be much stronger when its off. Indeed,that has been my experience. I'm sure it depends on the spectator though.
[/quote]
It has always been my experience that being 'off' plays much stronger. I therefore ensure that it is always 'off' even though the spectator has a completely free choice with one wallet & one card FASDIU. It's simply the best result...IMHO.

peacem charlie
[quote]
On 2009-06-28 21:51, mhsam wrote:
I have carried KK with me since Jeff McBride showed me in 1994. I bought it from Larry Becker and use the original Roy Roth wallet which I love. How does the newer "Killer Wallet" compare?
[/quote]
The new Killer Wallet has a buit in pocket index system so making it very easy to remove the correct prediction card.

Tony Curtis

I've been carrying Mr. Curtis's new wallet as my regular wallet for months now, so it looks appropriately beat up, softened and "normal." It's set up perfectly for KK, so there's no hesitation when you go for the card, and the wallet is about as thin as it could be. It's a great wallet, besides; it's made with high quality leather and solidly stitched. As a bonus, the credit card pockets (ungimmicked), keep your credit cards from touching each other, providing easy access and lessening wear and demagnetization issues.

I was a little concerned after it first started to break in, because it looked like you could see some outlining of the indexes in the exterior leather. However, you really had to know what you were looking for to even notice it, and the issue resolved itself as the leather further softened.

The spectator sees you pull the card out of the bill compartment. You can then show the compartment to be entirely empty, if you like. I usually leave a bill or two in, which I pull out 2/3 of the way when displaying the compartment. If you have the wallet, you'll know why that helps clean things up.
<<you'll know why that helps clean things up>>

Never had an issue with "cleaning up". Everything should be natural and normal, thus no need.
Well, there's one little thing you don't want them to notice with this wallet, and the bills help a lot.
For the record this is what you get in the Kolossal Killer package.
The original 16 page manuscript, Official Kolossall Killer Wallet, Killer Envelopes and specially printed poker size cards.

Tony Curtis

Does the wallet still come with a signed photo of Kenton in a Speedo for an extra revelation?
This is the only effect I've ever performed and six months later, repeatedly had audience members ask me to perform it again.

Get you handling smooth, and it can be your reputation maker.
[quote]
On 2010-03-26 02:56, Review King wrote:
Does the wallet still come with a signed photo of Kenton in a Speedo for an extra revelation?
[/quote]

At least you'd know they'd never ask you to repeat the trick.
[quote]
On 2010-03-24 10:24, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
I've been carrying Mr. Curtis's new wallet as my regular wallet for months now, so it looks appropriately beat up, softened and "normal." It's set up perfectly for KK, so there's no hesitation when you go for the card, and the wallet is about as thin as it could be. It's a great wallet, besides; it's made with high quality leather and solidly stitched. As a bonus, the credit card pockets (ungimmicked), keep your credit cards from touching each other, providing easy access and lessening wear and demagnetization issues.

I was a little concerned after it first started to break in, because it looked like you could see some outlining of the indexes in the exterior leather. However, you really had to know what you were looking for to even notice it, and the issue resolved itself as the leather further softened.

The spectator sees you pull the card out of the bill compartment. You can then show the compartment to be entirely empty, if you like. I usually leave a bill or two in, which I pull out 2/3 of the way when displaying the compartment. If you have the wallet, you'll know why that helps clean things up.
[/quote]
Thank you for your comments and I hope your KK wallet will continue to give good service.

Tony Curtis

[quote]
On 2010-03-26 23:35, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-03-26 02:56, Review King wrote:
[/quote]

At least you'd know they'd never ask you to repeat the trick.
[/quote]

That depends. Have you ever seen Kenton in a speedo?
Those that believe will believe what they want. There are many types of performers, those that believe in the audience being entertained and those that want the audience to thinks the performer is really a mental giant. Thus 2 different endings.

If you want the audience shocked, laughing, smiling and happy you visited them, will chose the off ending. The ending with only how did you know that, and the attention is all on the performer will chose the more serious ending.

One is the position of an entertainer, the other is that of mentalist and glory seeker for himself. Or it could be said one is an professional and the other a beginner.
I'm not quite following your logic here, wmhegbli. When I perform with KK it's not a matter of which way I choose to end the routine, rather it depends which way the spectator goes. If he or she goes with one of THE cards, then it's a direct hit; whereas if he or she goes with an "off" card, then the extra ending is employed. Both endings are good, even though there's a subtle difference in feeling to them; but I doubt one could say that only a beginner would "choose" to go with the first ending and only a pro would go with the "off" ending. Both endings can be entertaining. Cheers.

Respectfully,
MJ
I read through this entire thread and there were some that would not use the 'off' ending at all. That is what I was refering to in my previous comments. Those that refuse to see the entertaining element of the 'off' ending. I realize it can be dead on, but myself and other local magicians perfer the 'off' ending and actually hope it turns out that way.
Amen.

So be it if the "hit" is dead on, but I LOVE being off and really hope that's the way it will happen every time I perform this piece WHICH IS A LOT. ;)

What so many people have yet to realize in their work is that crucial "dip" in effect - that beautiful moment in any dramatic showpiece where it seems things may have gotten away from the performer.

There is so much to be said for being OFF. It stops the energy from moving forward or as Eugene calls it, "takes away their ball." And here the energy, expectations and impact of the effect builds up like a dam that eventually crumbles under the weight of that which it was supposed to contain.

That beautiful moment where everything is stopped...MAGIC is brewing.

"Have you ever played a game of skill where you JUST KNEW you were going to miss the shot in front of you, so you took a few moments beforehand to re-adjust your position, take a deep breath, plant your feet again and really focus your energy?"

When I turn that card over it's an EXPLOSION. Gotta love THE DIP and learn to use it theatrically and dramatically. It's so much better than simply pulling the card out of your wallet and hitting it dead-on. I can't believe people don't understand this and I've got to agree with wmhegbli when he said it's the difference in mindset between the professional and a beginner. I pray to be "off" when I perform KK and it's been in my everyday wallet for over 12 years now. It will be in there 20 years from now. I perform this piece in informal situations as well as on stage and it's among the best money I've ever spent on magic or mentalism.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - not to detract from the wonderful wallets out there being made for this effect, but I use my own NORMAL wallet: always have, always will!

-JF
I used to love Kolossal Killer. I used to use it all the time. Now however, I feel it is too "magicky" for me.

It feels like a trick. I suppose my perspectives change over time but I couldn't see a real psycic doing something like this.

I am sure many great performers pull it off and do it so conviningly that the spectator has no doubt in their mind that there was only one card in the wallet but I wouldnt feel good performing this anymore.

The effect is fantastic for the mentalist, but terrible for the psychic.

that's just my thoughts though.

M
Hey TT2 (Jerome),

I hear what you're saying about the theatrical difference between the two endings of KK, and although I feel that BOTH endings are very strong (otherwise KK wouldn't be in my repertoire), I also prefer the "off" ending. However, I interpreted wmhegbli's words as saying that skilled individuals would choose the "off" ending while lesser skilled ones would choose the direct hit. He has since clarified his meaning, so now I can also see his rationale for what he stated. Obviously one doesn't really "choose" which ending to use with KK due to the mechanics of the trick, even if we secretly hope that the statistical chance (2:1) of being "off" holds up.

Best,
MJ
MJ,

Absolutely true, though what we DO SEE is many people who simply do not understand the "OBO" scenario or how to make it work out well for them (or why most of us love it even more than hitting dead on). This has led to many a beginner disregarding the piece entirely (good!) or worse, making up two wallets so they always hit dead-on.

-J
In the booklet accompanying Kolossal Killer, Kenton Knepper goes into great depth about the “OBO” principle and the way it should be delivered if required when performing the KK effect.

Tony Curtis

By the way, Tony, I'm glad that you offer the envelopes for sale at your site. Whenever I've gone to Kenton's site they've been sold out. I've been using the "official" Kolossal Killer wallet that Kenton endorses for years and I like to use the envelopes. I just placed an order for a backup set of envelopes. Thanks!
[quote]
On 2010-04-22 20:07, MJ Marrs wrote:
By the way, Tony, I'm glad that you offer the envelopes for sale at your site. Whenever I've gone to Kenton's site they've been sold out. I've been using the "official" Kolossal Killer wallet that Kenton endorses for years and I like to use the envelopes. I just placed an order for a backup set of envelopes. Thanks!
[/quote]

Anyone who needs the envelopes I have them in stock.

Tony Curtis

You can now buy the Killer Wallet on its own.

Tony Curtis
Wmhegbil wrote that there are,... "Those that refuse to see the entertaining element of the 'off' ending. I realize it can be dead on, but myself and other local magicians perfer the 'off' ending and actually hope it turns out that way."

I think I am one of 'those' people that is being referred to. I don't, though, refuse to see the entertaining element of the off ending. What I see in it is an obvious path to a solution to the effect.

My point was that John Archer's presentation makes sure that there is, in effect, no "off ending". The off ending is built into his presentational set up so if it happens it makes sense within the routine and doesn't appear as an ad hoc get out which, I believe, it otherwise does.
This effect is always on me and I use it every single day. don't underestimate its simplicity.
I LOVE THE OFF ENDING!!! Help elimante the thought that you have a FULL DECK IN YOUR WALLET!!! Why would it say off by one if you have that one too in your wallet? I prefer the off by one...
Sorry guys Kolossal Killer is currently out of stock.

Tony Curtis
[quote]
On 2010-08-03 19:11, paisa23 wrote:
I LOVE THE OFF ENDING!!! Help elimante the thought that you have a FULL DECK IN YOUR WALLET!!! Why would it say off by one if you have that one too in your wallet? I prefer the off by one...
[/quote]

But, does this not bring up the question of whether or not you have "off by two" or "off by three" etc. in your wallet?
Kolossal Killer Limited Edition is coming very soon.

Tony Curtis
Off by one is very powerful. It does not tip the method if you set it up right (Mark Elsdon's script in Heirloom Redux does this beautifully).
I don't like the off by one for two reasons(well more than two but two main ones)
1- you cant hand out the card if you are exactly right.people may suspect you hasve a series of double cards, or maybe they don't know EXACTLY, but they may be suspicious of the card and want to see it.it would also just be nice to hand them the card as a souvineer anyway.
2-its harder to show this more than once to the same group.it would be odd to sometimes doi the one off gag and other times be exactly right. that would seem suspicious to anyone I would think.

I would rather just be off by one now and then naturally without showing the back. it would still be impressive and maybe more believable to be off now and then. you could then show this to the same group regularly and they would even be interested to see how close you get. imagine seeing this and the magician is off by one.pretty impressive already. then the next time he is spot one and hands you the card!that would seem real to me. the one off thing seems more like a gag than serious mind reading.

what I REALLY want to figure out is how to do this(with no outs), with the crossroads/silent running idea of handing them the deck first.
As for "thought card in wallet" plot, I love Mark Elsdon "On The Mark"!
I just bought this wallet few weeks ago and I added it in my routine immediately.
It's very clever and clean effect.
I got so many positive feedback with this one.
If you are willing to perform "thought card in wallet" but don't like "off by one" principle, try "On the Mark"!

YuYen
There are also many great variations in KK 2010.
I have original KK and Killer Konception but didn't know that there is an updated version.
I'll go check it out.
Thanks for the information!

YuYen
Heres my two penneth and my personal favorite way of doing KK - simply combine Mark elsdons scripting with the Kollosal Killer wallet.

By using only picture cards (and by that I mean ALLpicture cards), you avoid the off by one completely, so for the spectator a perfect hit everytime.
That is of course if you wish to avoid the off by one sceanrio!!
My favorite presentation is,"oh wow! I cant believe I ran into you!this is so great,i gotta show you something(reaching for wallet)"i had a DREAM last night that I ran into you here!this very place. you handed me a playing card and told me to hang on to it because it was your lucky card, you and that you would pick it up later. (wave wallet at him)i put it in this wallet! it was so real , that when I woke up this morning I couldn't quite remember if it had really happened. I had to actually look into the wallet to see if a card was there.i was actaully kind of surprsided there wasnt. but I get out my deck of cards and tried to remember which one you gave me and I ended up putting it in the wallet just to see what it felt like. does any of this sound familiar? do you have a favorite card?what card would you have givin me?"he answers, and you look dumbfounded,almost shaking....slowly open wallet and hand him the card."amazing...well,... heres your card back"
For anyone who performs there own verison of Kolossal Killer you can now buy the Killer Wallet on it's own.

Tony Curtis
[quote]
On 2011-03-04 02:23, Tony Curtis wrote:
For anyone who performs there own verison of Kolossal Killer you can now buy the Killer Wallet on it's own.

Tony Curtis
[/quote]

Tony,
Does the wallet work with pocker size cards, or do they have to be bridge cards?
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 21:02, Mush wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-04 02:23, Tony Curtis wrote:

Tony Curtis
[/quote]

Tony,
Does the wallet work with pocker size cards, or do they have to be bridge cards?
[/quote]
You can use poker or bridge size cards.

Tony Curtis
This thread suddenly popped up again after a 10 month rest. I've just read through it and discovered some of my own posts!

I still stand by them with regard to this effect... but I wanted to comment on another post in this thread that referred to Greg Acre's variation of this effect, 'Scorched'. Greg was kind enough to send this effect to me and like John Archer's routine Greg has taken what I see as the weakness of the effect and like John structured it into the climax and put it front and centre. This is what I believe this effect requires in order for it to be equally as strong regardless of the final outcome.

Maybe because I've seen him perform it, in my opinion John's routine is still the outright best but Greg's routine is also an excellent version of this effect. I would go into why I think Greg's routine is excellent in more depth but a stolen laptop in Barcelona last November means that I unfortunately no longer have a complete detailed copy of Greg's excellent routine at my disposal.

If you like this effect though I think you'll really like both Greg and John's take on this effect.
Is Kolossal Killer or On the Mark , by mark elsdon, anything like bang on? Is there a major difference, I'm looking for an effect like that but I want to be able to show both sides if possible.
What is the advantage of having the Killer Wallet to perform this effect?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
[quote]
On 2011-03-03 10:24, pkmagic wrote:
Heres my two penneth and my personal favorite way of doing KK - simply combine Mark elsdons scripting with the Kollosal Killer wallet.

By using only picture cards (and by that I mean ALLpicture cards), you avoid the off by one completely, so for the spectator a perfect hit everytime.
[/quote]

I love the Paul Harris "one and only" method of narrowing down the choices; using that method, combined with the Kolossal Killer Wallet (or any wallet you choose to put your cards in) is the way I've done this for years. I mention that as you mention using only the picture (court) cards above - I'm not certain what method it refers to specifically, but it sound similar in getting the choices down to where you would like them.
As with any effect; the method that YOU think works best for YOU and gets the result YOU want is what matters.
[quote]
On 2012-01-26 22:52, Walking Bob wrote:
What is the advantage of having the Killer Wallet to perform this effect?

Thanks and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
[/quote]

One can certainly perform KK with a regular wallet. I have some friends who do this and it always goes over extremely well. However, I've always used Kenton's Wallet since it has the ability to show the "bills" area being completely empty after removing the one card. This convincer isn't absolutely necessary, and I'd reckon that the majority of people successfully using KK don't use Kenton's wallet. But for me the advantage of the convincer is worth it. I also use the little black envelopes that come with the wallet. Kenton mentions in the instructional write up that he prefers not using the envelopes, but I feel that they add a bit of theatrical framing to the trick.

Best,
MJ
[quote]
I also use the little black envelopes that come with the wallet. Kenton mentions in the instructional write up that he prefers not using the envelopes, but I feel that they add a bit of theatrical framing to the trick.
[/quote]
Sadly the factory that made the special black Killer Envelopes for me in Bangkok has now closed but I still have a few packets left in stock.

Tony Curtis
Just ordered some envelopes Tony.
Thanks!
[quote]
On 2012-01-27 23:13, CarlEJones wrote:
Just ordered some envelopes Tony.
Thanks!
[/quote]
I will send them to you by air mail on Monday.

Tony
I've used the KK Wallet for several years, and a regular wallet before that, but have never used the envelopes. I just found them last night, and plan on trying them out.

Anyone care to share how you use the wallet with the envelopes. PM if you wish.

Brian
I've been doing KK and heirloom (with the heirloom wallet) for a while and I've been looking for similar yet, perhaps, even stronger effects.

through this thread I've read about 'bang on', Mark Elsdon's 'on the mark', Archer's 'educating Archer' (not sure if that's the effect name or a book/dvd) amongst other things.

What should I get do you think? is "bang On" less effective that Elsdon's effect? (I understand that B.O. needs 2 wallets which isn't necessarily a problem for me)

would appreciate some help in my decision making on this!

I'd really like to hear from anyone who's used both (or more) of these.

Paul
I used KK for years until I tried Richard Osterlind's "Richardwave". I only use Richardwave now. In my opinion, it combines the best of KK, Bang On, Brainwave and Invisible Deck at a fraction of the cost of any of them, and it leaves you absolutely clean at the end. I have never understood why more hasn't been said about this fantastic effect.

- M. Taylor
[quote]
On 2012-01-29 03:47, coosticks wrote:
I've been doing KK and heirloom (with the heirloom wallet) for a while and I've been looking for similar yet, perhaps, even stronger effects.

through this thread I've read about 'bang on', Mark Elsdon's 'on the mark', Archer's 'educating Archer' (not sure if that's the effect name or a book/dvd) amongst other things.

What should I get do you think? is "bang On" less effective that Elsdon's effect? (I understand that B.O. needs 2 wallets which isn't necessarily a problem for me)

would appreciate some help in my decision making on this!

I'd really like to hear from anyone who's used both (or more) of these.

Paul
[/quote]

Untill now I never saw a similar effect, that is stronger than KK or heirloom. In the right situation both hit the audiance extremly hard, especially then it is not the di***t h*t. Personaly I do like heirloom a little bit more, but that's only a purely matter of taste.
[quote]
On 2012-01-29 11:28, MTaylor2002 wrote:
I used KK for years until I tried Richard Osterlind's "Richardwave". I only use Richardwave now. In my opinion, it combines the best of KK, Bang On, Brainwave and Invisible Deck at a fraction of the cost of any of them, and it leaves you absolutely clean at the end. I have never understood why more hasn't been said about this fantastic effect.
- M. Taylor
[/quote]

In KK, Heirloom and Bang On there is only ONE card in the eye of the spectator. Manipulation or moves are excluded. It is pure.

A Brainwave effect involves a full deck of cards and "moves" are possible.
I have too many *** hobbies and due to severely shakey hands had to give up doing a lot of card magic. But the original KK is so impromptu and easy to perform that I've always carried it around for a good fifteen years in my regular wallet. The strange thing is that in all the years I've been doing this, I've never had a DH. For some reason it has always been OBO and the spectators are always taken back by the final kicker. I also have Killer Konceptions and the idea's in there are really great but I still find myself going back to the simplicity of the original version. Judging by all the reactions I get, this effect is truely killer.

I could probably use a better wallet than the one I've been using so I might get a different one but you certainly don't need to have anything special.
The complete Kolossal Killer package first came out in 2006 and is still available.

Tony Curtis
What comes in the complete package Tony? I'm getting confused with all these updates/variations and add-ons!

plus, does anyone know if Bang On is still an available product? seems that one or two people are combining mark's "On the Mark" with "Bang On'.......
[quote]
On 2012-01-29 21:06, Tony Curtis wrote:
The complete Kolossal Killer package first came out in 2006 and is still available.

Tony Curtis
[/quote]

Tony,

Where can I pick this up?

-Altrez
http://www.wonderwizards.com/

Or most dealers.

Tell Kenton "the Sugar Packet Guy" says hello.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 14:39, DCV wrote:

Or most dealers.

[/quote]

Thank you.

I have a trifold wallet and do not want to replace it. Can I still use KK?

-Altrez
[quote]
On 2012-01-30 03:28, coosticks wrote:
What comes in the complete package Tony?
[/quote]
Kolossall Killer Wallet, Killer Envelopes, specially printed cards and instruction booklet.

Tony Curtis
Yes. The wallet is an accessory, and not required.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 20:50, DCV wrote:
Yes. The wallet is an accessory, and not required.
[/quote]

Thank you!

-Altrez
Hello guys, I have a small wallet and so a normal bicycle card will not fit in the pockets that have only the dimension of a credit card. So the predicted card will came out folded in half (which is ok) but so I've to use 8C because of the fold.
In your experience, it's as strong with a mini bicycle card?
Is there any deck in a format similar to a credit card?
Thanks
I use bridge sized cards for that same reason.

Peace, Charlie
[quote]
On 2012-05-29 05:47, Er1tro wrote:
In your experience, it's as strong with a mini bicycle card?
[/quote]

Actually you hit on an excellent comedy presentation. Have the low cards in miniature cards. When you remove the card, say, "You were thinking of a small card weren't you". Time the removal with the card being pulled out. Will get a light hearted laugh at least, and adds to the entertainment factor. Good idea! Very creative of you.
[quote]
On 2012-02-09 14:39, DCV wrote:

Or most dealers.

[/quote]
I checked this link, only a PDF was available.
Some time ago I've came up with a version where you not only predict a card, but also a freely chosen number. You then can cleanly show a single, non gaffed prediction envelope with two cards/predictions which you can actually show from both sides. If someone is interested in this, PM me.

Mike
Don't use small cards, people may think you have lots of cards in your wallet, smaller cards would make that easier.
I agree with Scott.
I Have the heirloom wallet, Im guessing that KK can be done with this? if so where do I buy the routine cards etc?
[quote]
On 2013-01-03 01:50, Magicmike221 wrote:
I Have the heirloom wallet, Im guessing that KK can be done with this? if so where do I buy the routine cards etc?
[/quote]

Yep, Heirloom wallet works perfectly for KK. I believe Kenton's site still has the booklet for sale (you can use your own cards). The special package from a while back had the wallet, cards, booklet, and envelopes. Although, I just picked up a spare set of Killer Envelopes from Tony Curtis (highly recommended).

Best,
MJ
Ok see I have Real mans Wallet and KK and Heirloom work perfectly in it the way I have it, but as for the Tony Envelopes I never really learned or understood how this enhances the KK effect... PM please if your willing to explain I have proof of both purchases..
Hi Paisa, the envelopes don't really enhance the effect from a technical viewpoint, only an aesthetic one. I have a wallet set up with KK with no envelopes, and a different wallet (Kenton's official KK wallet) with the small black envelopes, and I have not seen any difference. In fact, Kenton says that he mostly uses cards without envelopes. Aesthetically and artistically, however, I prefer using the little black envelopes since they add a layer of mystery even though the reactions are the same. I hope this helps.
I'm using an ESPionage Wallet. It has only 6 hidden pocket, so I put two cards on every pocket (you can easily extract only one of them) and the last four are "loose" on main "reverse" pocket divided by a bill.

For me it's working very well.
So guys, what do you do when spectator asks to examine the wallet? or says "theres more than one card"... do you just say in a smart way"yep I definetely have 52 cards in this wallet" or what do you guys say?
Thanks
[quote]
On 2013-01-23 00:00, magicman491 wrote:
So guys, what do you do when spectator asks to examine the wallet? or says "theres more than one card"... do you just say in a smart way"yep I definetely have 52 cards in this wallet" or what do you guys say?
Thanks
[/quote]

Haven't had that come up yet. I use Tony Curtis's KK wallet, which allows for a really clean display. You openly take the card out of the bill compartment - in a small envelope if you so choose - and can then pull the bills most of the way out, spread open the wallet and clearly show the inside of the compartment to be empty. I don't say anything when I do that - it's just a quick flash, but a pretty powerful convincer. There's nothing to see in the credit card slots. It would be hard to imagine that there was one extra card in the wallet, let alone most of a deck.

But you know someone will probably say that anyway, eventually. Your response sounds fine, if you say it with a smile. Here are some other suggestions:

- Sure, but you can't look at the other 51 wallets I have stashed on my body.

- Certainly, after you let me dig through your purse.

- I've been carrying this in my back pocket for four years. Do you still want to touch it?

- Sorry, I don't let anyone into my wallet until the third date.

Or, if you have something like Tony's wallet, meet them halfway and start pulling out credit cards, library cards etc. out of the slots, then give another flash of the bill compartment with the cash and ATM receipts pulled partially out. There, they just had a good look at your wallet.

Or go into another effect using something you pull from the wallet, such as a bill, or Kioku or Sanctum.
Can you use tony kk wallet as an everyday wallet?
I never use a wallet. Just the 4 pockets of my jacket.
[quote]
On 2013-01-23 02:51, magicman491 wrote:
Can you use tony kk wallet as an everyday wallet?
[/quote]

Most definitely. In fact, it makes a particularly nice everyday wallet, because there's plenty of room for bills and lots of pockets to keep your credit cards and ID cards separated.
I've been working on a patter that really covers the OBO well... Basically it only works when I use a member of the opposite sex, but I start off saying that we all know men and women think slightly differently, and I want to try and see if this is in fact the case or not.

I run through KK then, and whatever card they choose I proclaim as being the card that was in my wallet, even if it's OBO. I go for a big loud announcement that I got it right as I pull out the card. Naturally, if it's a DH then that's the reveal and I can say that proves conclusively that men and women don't necessarily think differently, and the notion that they do is just an urban myth. If it's OBO, I don't dumb down the proclamation, and I don't look at the card as I produce it. I wait for a second for them to pull me up that it's wrong, and then I say "okay - so men and women do think differently... We all know that - and I knew that, and that's why on the back..."
Thanks guy's and I have a few Kolossal Killer's in stock.

Tony Curtis
Ordered some envelopes from you yesterday Tony. :)
Message: Posted by: Open up your mind (Jun 26, 2020 09:20AM)
I cannot recommend enough Kenton's original kolossal killer. It is just so much better than any other versions I know.
I think there are much better ways to the same basic effect. See some of Derren Brown's mentalism card work for one example.

But given that, here's how I used to do it:

In separate wallet compartments: 3,5,7, 9, Jack and King of hearts. Nothing needs to be written on the back of the cards!

Why not?

Because the presentation foreshadows the way you're going to pull off your out:

You have introduced the effect in this way: "When I was younger I was very bright
and I always wanted to be 'one step ahead' of everyone. I guess I'm still that way--I like to be 'one step ahead' of everyone."

You equivoque to hearts (Larry Becker's handling is fun and easy), spec names his card, you take the card out of the wallet, and hold it with its normal back to the audience.

IF IT'S A DIRECT HIT:

"Ah, the five of hearts? I don't like to brag, but it's strange: I guess I've stayed one step ahead again! I had that exact card in my wallet all along!"

IF IT'S NOT A DIRECT HIT:

"Yes I told you I like to stay 'one step ahead'--I just can't seem to help myself. Your card was the four of hearts? And one step ahead of the four is (turning the card over) the five of hearts!"

Why you might like this version:

1) The backs of the cards are clean, and can be given to the spec to examine no matter what happens.
2) Just hiding six cards is easy in any normal wallet.
2) In the original, having an alternate ending on the back of the card for the "miss" ending is going to be suspicious to some specs.
3) The "one step ahead" story foreshadows the out, making the ending logical. Unlike in the original, it seems as if you knew this was going to happen from the beginning.
4) By taking out the card cleanly and putting it face down on a table, you can easily put your wallet away. Once you make the revelation you can easily bring out a duplicate wallet if so inclined and put the card back in, "forgetting" the wallet for a moment on the table for the suspicious ones.
I am using the Kolossal Killer with the Quatro Wallet by limiting to one suit..
Great effect
[quote]On Aug 11, 2020, eb02 wrote:
I am using the Kolossal Killer with the Quatro Wallet by limiting to one suit..
Great effect [/quote]

I've been looking for a wallet like this but as an amateur the price puts me off. I'd use it with Mark Elsdon's Heirloom Redux, which does not limit you to one suit. My idea was to use two Tyvek Himber Envelopes in a Himber wallet, but on reflection I'll probably go back to Original KK, which is the cleanest version I've seen.

Barry