(Close Window)
Topic: Foreign Affair (bill routine) - Gregory Wilson
For those of you who have the Gregory Wilson in action DVD vol 3 and want the perfect gimmick for his effect Foregin Affair. Well Greg has just released a special mis-made bill especially for this effect. It's a US ONE doller bill on one side and various worldwide bills on the reverse. It's made from special Tyvek paper so it's very durable (in fact it won't tear) and is water resistant.

The basic effect is a doller magically changes to various other bills from around the world evertime you fold the bill. Best off all you end TOTALLY CLEAN.

For quick, visual magic it's got to be a 10 / 10
When/where will this be available? On the previews it looked like a very good effect. Kind of like Greed, but a good story on how you work the exchange rates.
Newb2,

I have just sent you a PM about Foregin Affair. It's an eye-popping, quick magic trick and I can highly recommend it.
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/foreign-affair-by-gregory-wilson-p-4299.html
Nice! Now where is Freakey! Dying for that!
FreaKey is coming soon. Greg was not totally happy with the DVD so he re filmed a few parts of it and it is being finalized now. All of the props are done and ready to go. It is very effective.

Foreign affair should be available from your favorite magic dealer. Murphy's just got units last week for distribution. This routine was premiered in "Switch" (John Lovick's book) and was inspired by Bill Goldman's "Chameleon Bill".

Tim
Good to hear that Tim! Will it be like the next month..or this month...?
How is Foreign affair different from David Acer's AROUND THE WORLD IN EIGHTY DOLLARS ( using Richie Sander's bill switch )?
Christopher, "Foreign Affair" has a few more changes than "Around The World In Eighty Dollars". The gaff is also very different.
Cameron, thanks. I loved the Acer routine, so Greg may have advanced it.
I love Acer's routine, too. But it is a very different routine in the sense that the spectators get to "choose" the countries. In Greg's effect, the bill keeps changing as you fold it.

As well as being a dealer item, this routine is also on Gregory Wilson "In Action" vol. 3, btw. Although you have to make it up yourself which could be a pain in the rear. So $20 for everything you need sounds like a good deal.
This was one of my favorites in Greg's lecture. The presentation is built into the bill - I think it's going to be very popular . . .
I wonder if he could put out a different version, where the main bill wasn't a dollar but EURO. Probably not.
I like this trick btw.
For anyone who has not seen a demo, it looks like DG's Greed except the bill changes currency instead of value. Also you unfold the bill again instead of changing it to a coin.
Richard
Let me add that this bill will also last a life time.
And for Freakey I perform this everywhere I go for almost a year now. And I just received the video a couple of weeks ago and the video is worth the money.
I just got this effect and the bill is very well made. I have a tip though when you start to fold the bill into sixteenths. I would suggest using removable double stick tape to stick the corners each time you fold. The tape stops the corners from moving when you increasingly fold the bill. This way keeps the bill looking even with each fold.
I just got this from MJM Magic ( I have no stake in this company, but they shipped FOR FREE in two days. Why anyone shops with the high price shipping dealers is beyond me ).

The bill is Beautiful. It is made from 'Tyvek" and will last a long time ( water and tear proof).

I haven't even started working with this, but here's an idea: I don't want to end with a hundred that gets handed out. Could a $1 bill be borrowed, switched with he gimmick and then the routine done and switched back at the end? If so, I'd do the routine like this:

"When I travel around the world to perform, because of the exchange rate and because I'm a magician (wink at them ), I can travel pretty far on a U.S. $1. Does anyone have a $1 I can borrow for a minute to show you?"

Do the routine ending with " and I can come all the way back the United States on the same $1". Hand the bill back saying " I hope you get as much mileage from that dollar as I have".

Just thinking off the top of my head.

Is there anywhere online showing Greg's routine?

MJM:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/foreign-affair-by-gregory-wilson-p-4299.html
I wanted a good bill "routine" to use.. I saw "Fraud" by Daniel Garcia, but I can't do it because I am italian.. Now this seems to be very good..

If you are interested, here is the lowest price:
[url=http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=4110&osCsid=76c325d6968a3032716daec2d81c8a38]FOREIGN AFFAIR BY GREGORY WILSON[/url]

I can end with a Euro bill instead of a $100?
Thanks a lot, Davide
I ordered this too, but believe me, Tyvek is NOT waterproof. Water resistant.
Don't wash it.
James
"The Reserve" DVD by Magic Makers also has a sticker gimmick of FOREIGN AFFAIR to stick to a real dollar bill. Pretty clever idea to just stick it to the back of a real dollar bill.

This DVD comes with 2 of these gimmicked stickers (along with a TT)... A nice package Deal.

Also note that even though this DVD has a vast amount of Paper Money effects (many sold as the popular single effects on 1 DVD in magic shops), Magic Makers gives NO credit to many of the people involved with the effects-- Including NO credit given to Gregory Wilson and his FOREIGN AFFAIR effect.
[quote]Magic Makers gives NO credit to many of the people involved with the effects-- Including NO credit given to Gregory Wilson and his FOREIGN AFFAIR effect.[/quote]

I don't see how that company isn't sued into oblivion. But I'd rather have one quality bill than 2 stickers that will eventually wear down. Plus support the creator. IMHO of course.
I prefer the Kevin King's "Money Morph" for bill switches. I'll have to see if that works with Greg's routine.
Christopher, I love you patter line with the one dollar bill.
[quote]
On 2007-04-21 12:04, Cameron Francis wrote:
Christopher, I love you patter line with the one dollar bill.

[/quote]

Cameron, thanks to you I bought this. You know what's a "worker" and I appreciate your advice.

I think my use of the borrowed bill makes it a bit more magical as it's "their" bill doing the changes.

But..it's just in the idea stage. Their bill has to be switched out and I have to see how/if that will work.....but...the dollar side of Greg's bill is reversed imaged. No one will notice uless you pointed it out. Maybe that can be used as an advantage.

What if in the folding/switching you say "first we have to turn your bill inside out". Unfold and show them the wrting , etc. is backwards. I think that would be quite magical by itself.
Christopher, maybe you could borrow their dollar, explaining how you travel the world on a dollar a day you place it in your wallet. Say thanks, tomorrow I'm going to ....(wherever) get a couple of laughs then say "seriously, here's what I mean" then go into the effect now that you've switched the bill.
At the end, put it back in your wallet, then say "I guess you may want your bill back so you can try to travel like me"....or something to that effect. You take the bill back out and give it to them.
Either using a switch wallet, himber etc. - or just your regular wallet would work.
Or you don't even need to do the wallet part - just fold their borrowed bill in half (to match yours in your pocket) - go to put it in and pretend to walk away, stop and laugh, take out the gimmick and go into the effect.
Any of this may work as long as the borrowed bill is not marked or torn etc which would get noticed.
Just my thoughts on it as I have it ordered as well and should receive it this week.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 21, 2007 12:51PM)
Tell them that you travel the world for a $1. And you will teach the spectator how to do it. You ask to borrow a bill, and take out your wallet. Now you could say 'See, with just your $1 (Place it folded into your wallet), I can travel...as far as my house', start to place the wallet away and then stop and laugh, tell them you will show them what you really mean, and go into the routine. I am going to Greg's lecture tomorrow, so I will see how he does it live :)
Those are good idea guys. Makes the switch easy as I don't want to expose the /multi color side of the gimmick ( that's what I'm working on with the TT )

I think everyone will have a lot of fun with Greg's effect!!
Can this be worked by starting or finishing with a UK note?
Yeah you can/do finish with a UK note (saw greg do it live at his lecture...it was awesome by the way!)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 25, 2007 11:38AM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 08:17, matt.magicman wrote:
Can this be worked by starting or finishing with a UK note?
[/quote]

Yes, Greg started with a $1, then did all the changes, before finally making it a 20 that he handed out for examination, I have two now as I like this so much!
So I guess once you have have done the changes with the foriegn affair bill, you just do a standard TT switch to the UK note....?
I'm thinking of getting this but I don't know the premise of changing $1(which is already weird considering I'm using Euros) to all those bills then ending with Euro bill when a Euro "appeared" already during the changing process. Any thoughts?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 25, 2007 03:36PM)
Well, you can make the gaff yourself, from Greg's DVD 'In Action 3', and it is also in the Switch book if I remember rightly. It won't be made out of the same paper obviously, but it is the method Greg used for a long time. This way you can make whatever currencies appear in whatever order you like when you make it up.

And Matt, you are correct, the change into the hundred at the end, or 20 as I use etc uses a TT to end completely clean. Now, an idea I had was to print up some flyers/business cards in this style on paper and load this into the TT. Now I explain that as a Magician I can travel to any country I like. Watch, I can go from America, to...change to all the different countries, and end with the flyer, saying 'But always remember where you saw this first', and you can hand out your business card/flyer with all your information on
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 17:23, Quantumfizzics wrote:
Greg is great.

Anything he does is worth looking into in my opinion.

[/quote]

Then get Freakey
I'm waiting. Any release date yet?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 27, 2007 02:34AM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-27 00:52, billfromoregon wrote:
I'm waiting. Any release date yet?
[/quote]

It's released now!!!
Where?..
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 27, 2007 12:25PM)
http://www.alakazam.co.uk have this in stock and http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk have this in stock, should be on the site tomorrow, but hit them an email and I'm sure you can get one
http://www.gregorywilsonfx.com

Gogetfreakey.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 27, 2007 03:47PM)
Already have it, performed it everyday! :)
ChristopherM did you get it from there?
[quote]
On 2007-04-27 13:25, Christopher Williams wrote:

http://www.alakazam.co.uk have this in stock and http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk have this in stock, should be on the site tomorrow, but hit them an email and I'm sure you can get one..

[/quote]
Thanks for the links....
No h_A_Z, a friend of mine did. Greg mentioned this web site during his lecture a few days ago. Cheers,

Chris
I perform this every single day for the past year. It's Killer. And Greg mailed me the dvd last month which the dvd alone is worth $$$$$$. I think this is the best trick Greg ever put out. Just because you always carry keys with you.
Isn't this the Foreign affair thread?
I just got Foreign Affair and I love it. I was going to make it when I saw it on his DVD set, but we all know how that goes.

The gimmick is perfect and for me the story I tell is starting in America with olny a dollar and then going to Australis, then flying to Europe on to Japan then finishing in Taiwan with a Taiwan 1000NT bill [about $33] Always ready eye popping magic that ends clean. Love it!
James
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 29, 2007 12:12PM)
I performed this today at a gig, and after performing it, someone came up and said to me 'Why was the dollar backwards'?. I laughed and said that as the American dollar is currently so cheap to the English pound they have decided to have them made out of the country so they are cheaper themselves to get, which got another laugh. After I left this group, I was puzzled by what they had said, so when I performed to my next group, I had a look, and they were right!!! On the bottom of the bill, it says 'ONE DOLLHAIR', all the words 'One' in the corners are backwards, and at the top where it says 'THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA' are backwards'...anyone know why it's like this? I assume for Greg to have a laugh at people who practice in front of the mirror as to them it should be backwards when they see it, but it isn't. Strange how someone who only saw it for about 10 seconds knew it was backwards...
[quote]
On 2007-04-29 13:12, Christopher Williams wrote:
anyone know why it's like this?[/quote]

Greg said in the instructions that it keeps it legal. I can safely assume that reprinting a dollar bill exact replica would cause issues with the US Secret Service. Love your ideas DVD, btw!
If you have a problem with the printed US dollar, you can always cut up the foreign parts and restick them onto a REAL US dollar. Could easily solve your problem and the bill would be only slightly thicker. You could also do this if you live in a different country and you want to start off with your own money instead of a US dollar.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 29, 2007 02:13PM)
Think I'll leave it as it is, only one person noticed, and I rather liked my come back :P, and thanks Doug, means a lot!
Actually when Greg got the bill printed the manufacturer told him it's illegal to print even one side of the bill. Which I totally understand.
Yes. David Regal adjusts the 'Bicicle' [sic] card box for the 2 versions of Sudden Deck so that this problem is avoided too. Subtle and funny adjustments they are too.

Foreign Affair is great! I like David Acer's Around the World in 80 Dollars, too. These ideas take the bill switch in a cool direction.
[quote]
On 2007-04-29 20:37, inidyls wrote:
Actually when Greg got the bill printed the manufacturer told him it's illegal to print even one side of the bill. Which I totally understand.
[/quote]
This is not true.
When we were designing the bill, we knew well ahead of time that it would be illegal to replicate even one side of the bill. So being the consumate comedian that Greg is, he wanted the dollar to not only look realistic but also be funny to the magician. The bill was field tested over 100 times by myself, and the backwards writing was only noticed once, and only because I held it out for longer than 3 seconds.
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments on Foreign Affair.
Aaron
[quote]
On 2007-05-05 17:47, APL wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-04-29 20:37, inidyls wrote:
[/quote]
This is not true.
When we were designing the bill, we knew well ahead of time that it would be illegal to replicate even one side of the bill. So being the consumate comedian that Greg is, he wanted the dollar to not only look realistic but also be funny to the magician. The bill was field tested over 100 times by myself, and the backwards writing was only noticed once, and only because I held it out for longer than 3 seconds.
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments on Foreign Affair.
Aaron
[/quote]

Yes it is true I'll pm you
The only thing I would like to clarify is that at the time Greg told you that (1 yr ago) we were not even done designing it, only the foreign side. It wasnt till last June that he decided to have the dollar printed on the other side instead of glueing a real one on, and that took the rest of the summer to complete. I had just told him there was no way we would be able to print a real dollar without altering it. The manufacturer however did not have a problem with the gimmick.
Thanks, Aaron
The bill is beautiful and Greg's idea is brilliant.
Thank you, that means alot.
I got Foreign Affair, and as good as the routine is, I found that it doesn't supplant my existing $100 bill switch routine. I am therefore willing to part with it if anyone's interested...just PM...
Can I start with a different colored money? Like a grey-ish money and end with that? Were not using euros or dollars here.

Thanks.
Ive found staring with the US Dollar & going throught the folds to Australia, Euros, Japan & then I switch to NZ Bill which is handed out-the effect is devastating to laymen

The different colours is the effect!!!! & changing to your local currency at the end is the killer for laymen

This effect can work for any country you live in-stick to the original idea from Greg & it will play anywhere!!!
Christopher, I love the thought of this effect although I currently don't do it I want to start. But I too don't want to go with the Hundy ender, becasue I do Hundy 500 so if I could find a place that would sell mismade ones for a lesser price. (I THINK $10 IS ALOT FOR A MISMADE BILL). Anyway, that way you can end with a downer. Kinda like [b]"THIS WORKS PERFECT FOR ME BUT WHEN I TRAVEL BACK, SOMETING GETS LOST IN TRANSLATION"[/b] End with a Mismade bill for them to inspect. Just a thought.
What is no one else doing this effect? Lets hear more people...
[quote]
On 2007-10-08 05:53, paisa23 wrote:
Christopher, I love the thought of this effect although I currently don't do it I want to start. But I too don't want to go with the Hundy ender, becasue I do Hundy 500 so if I could find a place that would sell mismade ones for a lesser price. (I THINK $10 IS ALOT FOR A MISMADE BILL). Anyway, that way you can end with a downer. Kinda like [b]"THIS WORKS PERFECT FOR ME BUT WHEN I TRAVEL BACK, SOMETING GETS LOST IN TRANSLATION"[/b] End with a Mismade bill for them to inspect. Just a thought.
[/quote]

That is a verrry clever idea.
I Get them from time to time.
If anyone is planning to do this in Japan, just be aware that the 100 yen note doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced long, long ago by a 100 yen coin. The smallest note in general circulation is a 1000 yen note.

(As a quick side note, I don't have the trick, nor have I seen it done. I'm just going off of the description on the MJM site that was linked to in an earlier in this thread.)

Now I'll have to pick up the DVD to see if I can make my own with actual existing bank notes... (Without getting arrested for tampering with the money -- a touchy subject for magicians in Japan)
Bill
This thread is ancient but Bill wrote something that has been in the back of my mind and could be a serious situation regarding tampering with money in Asia. Some areas it doesn't matter but some it matters alot. Just know the culture beforehand (Ie: mismade Thai note with the king dissected).