(Close Window)
Topic: So what is it about the...
So what is it about the Max Maven goatee that has caused so many magicians to follow suit? its Made its way into hollywood movies! My gf was watching over my shoulder as I was scrolling the forums and remarked "Why do all magicians have the same goatee?" Its becoming a cliche people lol
I think it predates Max Maven. It was probably cliched when he grew it.
I have never had a goatee.

I did once have a goat.

It was too cantankerous to use in performance, not that I use a top hat anyway.

I think you will find the Hollywood movies were not so much paying tribute to the wonderful Max Maven, as portraying magicians as they are deemed to have looked in those eras.

Men in general, are much less facially hirsute now than they were a century ago.

Destiny
My bad, I didn't mean that teh goatee BeLonged to Max Maven, I was just using his as a visual reference so you'd know what I was takling about.
It's not just magicians. Guys (mostly young guys) think goatees are cool.

They're not, of course. But they think they are.

As for Maven, I'd say it's just part of the costume, like the makeup.
I have always had a mustache, but I grew my beard when I became a magician, because I knew that it was the right thing to do.
Al
Destiny is on to something that we also tend to overlook. Facial hair in history was expensive to shave. Especially people of meager means did not have much of a choice. Running hot water in the home is relatively new in the grand scheme of things. Shaving daily at home was not that common.

Now it's cheap, easy, fast and we have time to do it. Some even enjoy decorating with it. Perhaps we are into "hi-tech" whiskers!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Not me. I'm all natural! Mine is less 'goatee' and more 'goat'.

And I LIKE it! :)
I've had a goatee on and off long before I began magic.
After many years with one, I once shaved it and noticed that a double chin had begun to develop. I grew it back shortly afterwards.
Folk singers had goatees also. I always wanted want one so I grew it. Had a moustache since the late 60's, the goatee since the late 90's.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Mar 15, 2007 10:22PM)
As silly as it might sound, you need the right face for it.
I honestly can't remember clearly now, but I thought Maven had a VanDyke. I wear a full beard, but trimed in such a way that it could easily be mistaken for a VanDyke.
Prove it Jack.
Al
Hey wait a minute, I did not know a goatee, van dyke or a beard was considered clothing.

But I will tell you that many times people have come up to me and asked if I was a magician just because I "look" like one. Maybe the tux had something to do with it as well.
Hey, hey, now.

Goatees [i]are[/i] cool. ;)
*sighs*
I'm shaving mine off this weekend.
I have a show where I am playing an 80's hair metal rocker.
They never had facial hair...Just glam makeup.
I'll be starting over again on Monday.

And I never grew mine to look like a magician.

I grew it because I wanted to look more like a pirate.
Yarrgh. Pirates be cool (And I work a lot of Ren Faires in the summer)
Gwyd
[quote]
On 2007-03-16 12:46, Sekhmet wrote:
Hey, hey, now.

Goatees [i]are[/i] cool. ;)
[/quote]
Thanks...
[quote]
On 2007-03-16 14:16, gsidhe wrote:
And I never grew mine to look like a magician.

I grew it because I wanted to look more like a pirate.
Yarrgh. Pirates be cool (And I work a lot of Ren Faires in the summer)
Gwyd
[/quote]
Pirates are COOL!
Gaarrrrr! :angrypirate: <---oops,no goatee!

Posted: Mar 16, 2007 10:40pm
Quote:

On 2007-03-16 12:46, Sekhmet wrote:
Hey, hey, now.

Goatees are cool.

I guess its time to start growing the goatee back!
[quote]
On 2007-03-16 10:26, Al Angello wrote:
Prove it Jack.
Al
[/quote]

Check the Jawline in my photo. Just to the right.

@nucinud - That's a VanDyke, not a Goatee. A Goatee is isolated hair grown only on the chin. Can be combined with a mustache, but only if the two are clearly seperate from each other. It doesn't look like yours are seperate, though there is a little glare in your photo, so I could be wrong.
Vandyke I guess. But hardly anyone uses that term any more. Facial hair is the new term they tell me.
I never let "them" keep me from saying and doing things correctly. I was having some wordplay fun with the fact that I knew what the origianl post was intending to express, but that in fact they had expressed the exact oposite. Instead of comenting on a current popular trend, they were comenting on something that isn't a current popular trend. These days, people tend to call any facial, hair that does not connect with ones ears, a gotee. This is an incorrect use of the term.

All we have are our words.
[quote]The popular conception of a magician as a slender man with a mustache, goatee, and satanic air probably started with the Herrmann family, for the famed magicians of this family all answered to the description. Carl Herrmann (181687), a native of Vienna, won acclaim in Europe and America. His younger brother, the American magician Alexander Herrmann (184496), called Herrmann the Great, and his nephew Leon Herrmann (18681909) also toured extensively in America and abroad.[/quote]

From http://www.history.com

Destiny
I just looked at some pictures of a Vandyke, chin hair is separated from the moustache. I also looked at pictures of goatees, I have a goatee.
I've not seen my chin or upper lip in 36 years!

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Oy...Mine is growing back in now...thank goodness!
I was tired of a nekked chin, even if it was just for a couple of weeks.

Gwyd
Im With Stanyon The mustache came right after high school and with the exceptions of a few special circumstances has been there ever since The beard came after the military 25 years ago and was trimmed after it got a little too white Im only 45 as of this post so the white beard that showed up six years ago makes me look older. I trimmed it back and Like it. Did Max have an influence on the hair NO. did I think it was cool Yes it was and It hides a scar. as For my upper lip it has been covered since 1979
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Apr 10, 2007 08:58AM)
Have a look at the folks wearing black in early American history. One even went so far as to have a vest made in pink.

It's been done.

And Max does it very well.
I grew my mustache in 1964 before the Beatles grew theirs. This may sound hard to believe but in 1964 only black men had mustaches, I had shoulder length hair, wire rimmed glasses, and when I walked down the street everybody stared at me like I was from another planet, ahh those were the good old days.
Al Angello
I got this due to the fact that it's the only place I can grow hair long and not have it look *wrong*. :D
I have no facial hair but I do have a question.

If you have a double chin, can you grow two beards???

:P:
I grew the mustache right after high school, sort of a family tradition I guess. The Vandyke came around 2001. Sure I was doing magic at the time, but it honestly had nothing to do with being a magician. It hid my double chin and the wife really wanted me to grow it. Now it just fits in as my magic act and I think it makes people believe I'm more professional than I really am.