(Close Window)
Topic: Word Puzzle!
I've seen some great puzzles and riddles on this board. Here is one of my own. Try it and see if you can come up with the answers:

1) Many English words have double vowels in them. Examples include: SLEEPING, BOOKCASE,
WEEDS, BEDROOM, BALLOON, etc.

However, English words with double aa, ii, and uu are much more uncommon.

Besides the animal called an AARDVARK, can you think of a more common English word that has "AA" somewhere in it?

Hint: It's a place where you might spend money and it's spelled like this (fill in the blanks): __ __ __ A A __

2) Besides Hawaii, there is a common English word that has double "II" in it. What is the word?

Hint: This word is an activity some people like to do, and it's spelled like this (fill in the blanks):
__ __ I I __ __

3) Double UU appears even less frequently. There is one common English word, however, that has a double "UU" in it. What is it?

Hint: This very lethal object is found in outer space AND it's also something most of us have in our homes. It's spelled like this (fill in the blanks): __ __ __ U U __

If anybody needs answers, let me know!
1. Bazaar
2. Skiing
3. Vacuum
Well that was quick... :hmm:
Which six-letter word (a real word, not an abbreviation or acronym) does not contain an a, e, i, o or u?
How about the word: NYMPHS?
Good one! Not the one I had in mind, though... in fact, in its plural form, the one I'm thinking of actually has seven letters...
Syzygy is the alignment of heavenly bodies (that's planets and such, not Shania Twain and friends).
No vowels, as is usually understood.
Another good one, Peter! Still not the (dare I say commonly-used) 6-letter (7-letter, for the plural) word (noun) that I'm thinking of...
I have a friend who's a bookkeeper, and likes many words games as a hobby. He has two favorites that he likes to spring on people:

1) What word has more sets of consecutive double letters than any other word?

If he doesn't come off as being facetious after presenting that first puzzle, he'll go on to offer his other puzzle:

2) What is the only word in the English language that not only contains all five vowels (A, E, I, O and U), but containes them all in alphabetical order?

;)
I thought there were two words that contained the five vowels, in order:

- abstemious
- facetious.
Scott, I guess your bOOKKEEper friend was indeed fAcEtIOUs, giving away clues like that!

Mark, I still can't figure out your seven-letter word with five different vowels. I admit I'm stumped.

Anyone yet got my six-letter (seven-letter for the plural) word not containing a, e, i, o or u? By George, I thought you would have got it by now - after all those clues, who could ask for anything more?

Colin
I think the answer to Colin's question is rhythm. Another good word puzzle I heard many years ago is this: what seven-letter word contains five different vowels.
Well done, Mark, You Got Rhythm! Thank you also for PMing me the answer to your 7-letter all 5-vowel word!

Colin
Was this one already said: A word having 5 consecutive vowels in it, though not in order. There were others like this but you missed one.

What is the longest word in the english language which can be typed using only the top rom on your keyboard. What is the longest word using only your left hand to type?
I just found another few (I'm searching, these aren't mine but still hard I think)

Express 100 as the sum of three cubes, allowing each cube to be positive or negative.

What do these 5 words have in common:
[list]
[*]ENUMERATE
[*]UNOCCUPIED
[*]ONEROUS
[*]UNUSUAL
[*]BIRD
[/list]
Top row: typewriter?

Lefthand: Stewardesses?
Yep, I think most people know about the keyboard thing. It's still an interesting bit of trivia though.
[quote]
On 2003-01-19 18:24, Peedlkyle wrote:
What do these 5 words have in common:
[list]
[*]ENUMERATE
[*]UNOCCUPIED
[*]ONEROUS
[*]UNUSUAL
[*]BIRD
[/list]

[/quote]
Seeing as how no one's gotten this yet, I'll tell you.

Each word begins with the word for "1" in a specific language.

[list]
[*](En)umerate---Danish
[*](Uno)ccupied---Italian and Spanish
[*](One)rous---English
[*](Un)usual---French
[*](Bir)d---Turkish
[/list]

Ok, that's a stretch, I know, but that's the answer.
The words with no vowels is good but Y is the somtimes vowel. Anyone know a word with no vowels (a,e,i,o,u,or y)

jeff
Certain Welsh words, such as cwm (valley).
[quote]
On 2003-01-19 18:24, Peedlkyle wrote:
I just found another few (I'm searching, these aren't mine but still hard I think)

Express 100 as the sum of three cubes, allowing each cube to be positive or negative.

[/quote]

7 cubed plus (-6) cubed plus (-3) cubed = 343-216-27 = 100

[quote]
On 2003-01-19 18:21, Peedlkyle wrote:
Was this one already said: A word having 5 consecutive vowels in it, though not in order. There were others like this but you missed one.
[/quote]

Queueing
[quote]
On 2003-01-27 22:41, nums wrote:
The words with no vowels is good but Y is the somtimes vowel. Anyone know a word with no vowels (a,e,i,o,u,or y)

jeff
[/quote]

We used to use "nth" as in "to the nth degree" as the answer.
Anyone know a 7 letter word with 4 syllables in it? Or even with less letters or more syllables??
Here's one for any Londoners at the Café.

Which London underground station has [i]six[/i] consecutive consonants in its name?
KniGHTSBRidge on the Piccadilly Line.

(Took a little digging, what with living in Austin, TX and all...)