(Close Window)
Topic: the photo thing...
Here's a question I'd like to put to the Cafe:

How has this addition, of the adding of photos to posts, changed the way you view certain members?
Did you ever picture them a certain way due to their name/writing style/use of smilies?
And, if so, has this changed at all with the addition of photos?

I don't want to encourage the hurling of insults here (although I am aware that I run the risk of doing so with this post) but it would certainly be interesting to hear your views on this.

Many thanks,
Gonz
:carrot: :banana:
:lol:
Funny question Gonz. Never thought about it.

I guess since the pictures, I'm less afraid of Steve Brooks and more afraid of Ichazod.

I think Tom Cutts wears too much makeup. It makes him look like a painting of a pirate.

Scott Guinn looks the same as the poster of him on the wall in my office.

I thought Sable would have a wind instrument stuck to his forehead. I never pictured a piano.

I thought Thomas Wayne would look more like Peter Marucci looks. Wait.. goatee, glasses, I wasn't that far off. :bwink:

Drew McAdam is funnier than I thought he was. (If you've been keeping an eye on his pictures you'll know what I mean)
:rotf: :lol: :rotf:

The one thing that has really depressed me since the pictures is how much I DON'T look like a magicain. Peter, Dorian, Steve O., Chadmagic (to name a few) all have this cool magic look about them. I have been searching the house for a picture in which I look even slightly magical (or remotely cool) to no avail. :arg:

I did find a couple of nice shots of my goats though, if anyones interested.

Actually I look a lot like this guy
:babyface: except with less hair
[quote]
On 2002-02-02 22:53, yakandjak wrote:
I think Tom Cutts wears too much makeup. It makes him look like a painting of a pirate.
[/quote]

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Pirate ye say. :lol: :blackeye:

I "painted" a pirate skeleton with "paint by numbers" as a kid.

Well, I see no Yaks nor any Jack, Monterey or otherwise. :rotf:

I think the avatars personalize the experience we have come to know as The Cafe.
Good question Gonz,

It is a bit like finally seeing that radio personality that you have been listening to for years, and they don't look at all like what you have pictured.

The really strange thing that I am noticing is how many of these guys look just like a black rabbit coming out of a black hat. Do you think it is possible they are all actually the same person?????

Hmmm, I guess I pictured most of them as a bit more gray in color :wavey:

BroDavid
Heyyyy there's a thought Tom. I could post a picture of the Jak (non-Monterey). She's kinda cute. :love:
Bro-

CLEARLY, we are NOT all the same person! I'm MUCH BETTER LOOKING, and actually have HAIR! Put aside your jealousy, envy and covetous spirit, sir, and I shall attempt (difficult though the task may be) to put aside my pride, vanity and vainglory.

Nah! Can't do it!
Actually, I just MIGHT be Thomas Wayne! You'll notice that nobody ever sees us together (just like Clark Kent and Superman).

And, yes, seeing the pictures does tend to change how I think of some people. (I agree with Yak: Ichazod scares me!)

However, there is obviously something wrong with the process used to put the pictures on the board because I am SURE I don't have that much gray in my beard.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Just so you know, besides being my right hand man here at the Cafe, Ichazod is also head of security. :fruity:
Don't think you will see my picture soon. Old PC and old user. And the sever would close or freeze.
But I do so enjoy this new found treasure (The Magic Cafe), I may re-think (that will be a 1st) getting a new PC.
How's this, Peter? More like you look in real life?
Delightful
Mary, that's hilarious!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Now, could you do that for me in real life?
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
No, Peter, Mary can't help you there--what you need is just for men... (get it?)
I am sorry for you having to view my pic from time to time. Maybe I could use a drawing instead?
[quote]
On 2002-02-04 07:31, amagician wrote:
I am sorry for you having to view my pic from time to time. Maybe I could use a drawing instead?

[/quote]

Hows this? I just used Photoshop and ran the "sketch" filter, but it only came out so-so. Maybe with a better original...?

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
By the way, my "photo" is actually scanned from an 8 X 10 professional sketch that was originally done for an international calendar. My wife liked it so much we bought the art from the orginal artist. As the years go by I just go into Photoshop and adjust the hairline!

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
It is so liberating to no longer look like a black rabbit coming out of a black hat! Then again, as I look at my picture, maybe it was better for everyone's eyes when they only had to look at a drawing of a rabbit!

Now, I am a unique individual - just like everybody else.

I think it would be nice if everyone could get their picture on this forum. This may make it easier to sift through the posts, find what you're looking for, and (obviously) have a better idea of who you're talking to.

"Nothing can be so deceiving as a photograph." -Franz Kafka
One thing that stood out to me when the photos were first added was the large number of magicians with facial hair.

Did anyone else notice this? Perhaps it was a false perception or just coincidence...

--Kris
These pictures really are a blast. I think Gonz will look like a weird, psycho magician friend of mine. I hope he puts a picture up soon and ruins my image.

I think Amagicman looks just like Dennis Hopper, Thomas used to be my family practitioner and Peter Marucci used to sell me Lipton Tea.

If I ever get into trouble with a gang of fire blasting, doped up, head banger magicians, then I'm taking them on with my martial arts buddies and Ichazod. (Are we taking them on, or joining? Hmmmmm).

If I'm ever in trouble with the law, I want Greatscott and BroDavid defending me. ("Why no your honour, my client isn't the killer, he's a perfectly sane magician. Er...well...").

Tom Cutts, if I ever need to break into a museum, you can just disguise yourself as a painting and get me in after dark. The only problem is that it's so hard to do with a piano stuck to my head.

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Hey Yak, what do YOU look like?
[quote]
On 2002-02-07 00:15, semianimus wrote:
I think Gonz will look like a weird, psycho magician friend of mine.
[/quote]

"Psycho" magician?
How intriguing...
I'll try and get a photo on here soon to disappoint you with how shockingly unmaigical I look.
"psycho"? possibly.
"wierd"? probably.
"magician"? you'll be sorely disappointed...
I'm like Yak, I see all these magical looking individuals and think, "why can't I look that mysterious/comically amusing/delightfully entertaining/debonair/sophisticated/painted?"

By the way, there are two things I have been intending to ask:
1. Sable, what is that white thing apparently glued to your forehead?
2. Scott, is that a card up your sleeve, or are you just pleased to be here?

Gonz
Gonz,
That "white thing" is my fist, believe it or not. I was trying to strike a dramatic pose for the back of a little (very self published) book of my short stories. As you can tell, I don't look the least bit magical either, so I went for musical. Go figure. If you look real close you almost hear me thinking "now where is middle C again, where is middle C?"

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Yes, that IS a card. It's the ace of spades, actually, against my wishes. I wanted the joker (to imply comedy, obviously), but the photographer insisted that the AS showed up better, and that people wouldn't be able to see the joker. HOGWASH! In the 8 by 10 (which the Avatar came from, and which is the stack of pub photos I have), it would have been EASILY distinguishable. But I guess that's why I paid him the big bucks--to have the photo how HE likes it instead of how I like it! (I know some Barbers like that, too!)

Anyway, having said all that, I do not mean to imply that I am not also happy to see you...
I think having the pictures are great, before we had them, I pictured everyone as looking like members of the Partridge family or the Brady bunch.

Now that I can see what you all look like, you are all the most attractive group of magicians I have ever seen. :bg:

:devilish:
In every pic I've found of me (I'm not one of those "picture people" with the albums everywhere) I look like the squid that I am, not magical, cool, or painted :lol: . So I'm growing a goatee, getting some piercings, and a tux. Then I'll get something scanned.

And I never noticed that Scott had a card up his sleeve. Cool!
Do I just look like the angry magician in my picture? ARGH!!! MESS WITH ME AND I'LL MAKE YOU TURN INTO A RABBIT!!!!! :magicrabbit:
It's nice to know that we're one big family here.
(Although, with the pictures now up, it might be the Manson Family!)
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Mansons!!

Hey, Peter, put down that knife. I'm not kidding, put down that knife. Put... :question:
I have met and seen Peter in person and, I'm sorry Peter, but your just not that ugly! HA, HA, HA! I'm just kidding............. You are that ugly! Ha, ha, ha... just kidding again.. but seriously, pictures can still be deceiving, I thought in person that Peter looked very magical, almost wizzard like. But no matter what kind of image someone is portraying I can still mentally picture that person performing and being very magical in presentation. I think the photos were a great idea, it becomes a much more personalized experience.
Peter, this is a cool thing. Not a bad thing. But your picture reminds me of a former wwf wrestler named Capt. Lou Albano.
:)
Hey, will you guys stop picking on me!
I'm a nice guy! :smoke:
(Well, actually I'm not. But stop picking on me, anyway! :angry: )
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Peter,
If I can't pick on you, who can I pick on? :confused:

Gonz. Hey, Gonz, come back here. Hey...hey...get back here. Gonzzzzzzzzzzzz.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sable
I'm not going to pick on another old magical soul that sports the facial adornment of a magician or wizard, specially like Peter who can also sport some on top too, and that's why I wear a hat! It covers my pointed balding head but keeps the kids wondering!

For one, I am pleased to see any real countenance provided by other users as it gives less of a generic look to us all.

However, it would be interesting to see yakandjak's 'KIDS' picture!

And that non-aging sketch of Thomas Wayne is excellent! eh... do you have one in color?

Seriously though, that is the way to go if you have publicity pieces made up in volume that may take some time to use up.

I opt to smaller print runs and update the photos but still use the sketch ones for some of my kid souvenirs for their artistic additions.
For the moment, Johnny, I'm still sporting some on top.
But I'm getting there; I'm getting there! :cry:
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

"I may grow old but I won't grow up!"
LOL :rotf:
It's so nice to see who is writing what.

As for what a [b]"Magician Looks Like"[/b] That should be a topic in itself!

:magicrabbit:
:rotf:

That probably would be a shocker if you saw my kids pic Johnny. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my kids here but can't remember if I said that they were dogs or not.

I would hate to curse the magickers of the future with another know-it-all in my progeny.

"Hey you! Outta the gene pool!" :bg:
Well, I thought I could never look as painted as some.
But here I am nonetheless...

Gonz
Gonz, I can finally see you. You, Tom and Thomas should get together and have a gallery showing. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sable
Looking at the paintings of Tom and Gonz, they look like they belong in a gallery alright...a [b]Night Gallery![/b]

Remember all those creepy paintings? :eek:

Now I think it is definitely Yak's turn.
He must be the only long standing member of the Cafe without an avatar.

All in favour of Yak revealing himself say "aye"...

Gonz
:devilish: AYE :devilish:

Doh! Peer pressure! :)

I'll have some free time this weekend and get this oversight taken care of.
Yes we are all waiting yakandjak, also what about saydean haven't seen him reveal his photo yet either!
Hey, Peter L. said (in a PM) I'm like the magic super-hero of the Cafe with my alter-ego bunny avatar, trouncing bad-guys and magician/actors, metting out my own form of short-sighted, petulant, floating goat justice. (Well I added most of that) :goof:

See, so most of the time I'm actually level-headed and mild mannered. Wouldn't you hate to have to lose the former in place of the latter should I expose my secret identity? :lol:
Here's the story behind my photograph.

My parents migrated to Australia from Italy back in the 1960s. I was born in Sydney, Australia. As you can see from my photograph, I don't look Italian, I look Chinese.

Why?

I'm glad you asked.

Back in 1988 I put together an Oriental themed act, peforming as 'Chu Manchu'. I was so set on establishing an authentic 'look' for my act I decided to have plastic surgery to alter my appearance.

Unfortunately the Oriental themed act wasn't very successful.
Yak,
Watch the swinging watch...

You will send a picture...

You will...

You willlllllll...

No pressure here Not at all.

Jeb (Sable)
:rotf:

Dude! You know what I look like.

I found a cool pic and I'll be going to kinkos mannana. BUT NOT BECAUSE OF THE PEER PRESSURE!

Alright it is.

And John! Were you serious about that plastic surgery thing? I'll believe anything on here. I'll even buy your bridge.
yakandjak,

There's more plastic surgery scheduled for June this year as I'm putting together a new act:

"Osama bin Laden At The Close-Up Table"

I'll keep you posted.

Cool. And I'll have to get back to you about the ocean-front property you've got up in Montana. Seeing if I've got the cash.
You know, once I get this picture up all of this peer pressure has to be directed somewhere.... :hmm:

Oh look. Magicman0323. Nice target.
Hey I want to be FEARED also!

I'm Ich's evil older brother.
Older brother? I thought Ichazod and I had buried you behind that....well, it was kind of dark that night, and running out of gas on the way didn't help. Gee, you look pretty good considering. :rotf: :dance: :rotf:
I'll be comming to a dark ally near you all very soon....

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Doug (That thing that goes bump in the night) Byrd
Doug. Dude. You're one of the nicest guys I've met in magic. You had better work on that friendly demeanor if you want people to be afraid of you. You do [i]look[/i] scary if that's any consolation.
Well here you go guys and gals! Handsome feller eh?

Jeb has met me in person so he should be able to corroborate that this is actually me.

Note the Skywalker-esque helmet. Now what kind of dork, other than me, would do that to his helmet?
:eek: :wow: YakandJak IS a space alien! :wow: :eek:

:kidding: :whatthe: :yikes: :huh: :no:

:alien: :lover: :cyclops: :love: :alien: :lover: :cyclops: :love: :alien:

:cuteangel:
:cyclops:

And we don't have actors on my planet which is why I found that whole [i]issue[/i] a bit confusing.

:comply: Whoa, gotta keep that visor down.
Yep, it's Yak alright. As you can tell, he's balding. :bg: :bg: :bg:

Sable
Who am I Charlie Brown, why do you have to use me as the target yak? :shrug: :lol:

I happen to like my alter black bunny ego !
Hey, anything to get the heat off of me. :lol:

FOX-2!
I think that Yak won't show his face because there is a good chance he might be me & Doug's older brother. Once everyone saw the resemblance, it would be all over for him.

I just thought you should all know that the books behind me are magic books. I arranged them specially but the pictureís so small you canít even recognizably see The (huge) Illustrated History of Magic (thatís the red one to my right).

BTW the pale green thing lying on top of all the books is a nice jumbo three-and-a-half of clubs made by Tommy Cooper. Iím quite proud of that :)

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell
[quote]
On 2002-03-19 18:07, Ichazod wrote:
I think that Yak won't show his face because there is a good chance he might be me & Doug's older brother. Once everyone saw the resemblance, it would be all over for him.

[/quote]

You know I don't think I am but one of my goats might be. The resemblance is uncanny. Once you guys get your horns surgically implated he'll be the spitten image.

Well I got tired of lookin' at my big head all over the board (HEED! Pants! Now!) so here's the real picture, staying with the Yak and Jak theme. I'm on the left, with the shorter hair.
Surgically implanted?. We had to pay a ton of money to have them removed :devilish:
You had your's removed? Mine are cloaked to all but those who believe in such things.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Mar 22, 2002 01:33PM)
I just had mine moved to another part of my body. :devilish:
Is that it? I thought it was just cold in here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!