(Close Window)
Topic: Invisible Palm
I just learned a trick called Invisible Palm. I think it's a great trick, and I've put another video up for the world to see.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_reGQeeRu8

Doc-Z
Very nice. Good job. Funny I just started learning a version I saw on David Stones Secrets of Magic DVD. Keep it up.
You should check out Larry Jennings version(s) in R.Kaufman's "Jennings '67" for the original which IMHO is the best. There is a chronological history of this classic devised (6 versions) over the years. In "The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings" By Mike Maxwell there is a nice effect called "Open Travellers" (page 144-149) which is perhaps one of the best 4 Ace tricks/effects in existence today. This routine first appeared in Alton Sharpe's "Expert Card Mysteries" in 1969. The "Bounce Double" & The "Rub-a Dub Vanish" taught in "Open Travellers" really adds a sense of naturalness and reality to this classic & can be utilized in other effects only restricted by your imagination/ingenuity. Larry Jennings IMHO, was one Close-up Magic's true innovators and masters who was perpetually creating/improving upon miracles from his fertile imagination/mind. BTW, nice version, what may I ask, is this version that you performed? One comment w/ the "Finley Tent Vanish"...hold the card up higher and away from the packet more, it will look better.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> :) :bwink:
Thank you for your comments! I really don't know what version I'm performing. I saw a video on youtube of a guy performing an Invisible Palm trick. I loved the effect, but what I didn't like was that he always gathered the aces together, and only showed them together using a kind of "in-hand-ribbon-spread" (don't know what it's called) and it looked really fake and unnatural. So I practised it and thought I could figure out a somewhat more natural handling, and I also shortened the trick from three "invisble palms" into two. Which one is the "Finley Tent Vanish"? Sorry I haven't done this for more than a couple of months, so I'm not quite up to speed on magic lingo and references :)

Doc-Z
It's when you hold the card away from the packet (in the left hand) using the thumb. It resembles one side of a tent. Hold the card a little more away from the packet. Cover the card entirely with the right palm before releasing to add a little more realism before showing it empty.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> :) :bwink:
Besides Tent Vanish, I thought why you fanned so little to reveal the dramatic arrival of the disappeared card. (Though it is not disapperance effect in the original Invisible Palm).

I hope you buy 'The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings', you will learn much more important things rather than coping mediocre performances on Utube.

Hideo Kato
Thank you for your comments. Hideo Kato, what did you mean by "fanned so little" do you think it could be improved by showing off the cards?

Doc-Z
I meant it was better if you spreaded AD and AH a little more. You spreaded maybe less than 10 mm. If you spread them 15-20 mm, the appearance will be more effective.

Hideo Kato
I agree with Hideo Kato.

I small spread is actually ditremental to the effect and can often tilt the method.
Hideo Kato, do you mean when the card goes to the table? or the first spread showing all four aces?

Doc-Z
Please read my post again. I clearly mentined AD and AH.

Hideo Kato
It's at the moment of the revelation of the card being made "visible". (Remember it was invisible in your palm and when you press on the table it is made visible). In your video the cards don't separate much at that moment, so it would be hard for the expectator to notice the card has been made "visible".

I also thought that cutting the deck is not a good idea. Because as the trick goes, you imply that you are palming the card from the top of the deck...but it doesn't make sense because the Ace is in the middle of the deck.

Wil
Ah.. I understand. The cards don't separate much because I'm using a wool blanket over my computer keyboard, when using a table, I get a much better separation. As for the cutting the deck part, I talk about beeing able to draw the card out from the middle of the deck, through all the other cards, since it's invisible, and make it appear on the table. I thought it was kind of a strong effect, but if you guys think it's weak, I'll do it the other way. I thought it gave me a more logical explanation, why I need to put a card on the deck.

Doc-Z
I think you have a good trick.
You have brought it down to two palms only. Which might be a good thing, but the build up to the climax is brought down to that second revelation.

I would stick with it--if you like the way you do it, and have good reactions from your spectators. Just making the changes that come along and learning from them.

Wil
Besides the sources mentions earlier, this effect is also in (guess!) Art of Astonishment!

Ellusionist has a demo video of this effect:
http://www.ellusionist.com/order/art_of_astonishment_paul_harris.htm?cat=120

You might want to have a look at that.