(Close Window)
Topic: Storytelling Tricks?
I know "Sam the bellhop". Any other similar good trick ?
I am unclear on exactly what you mean by "similar" trick. Do you mean an entire deck story or just good stories that involve playing cards?

In this thread I have mentioned my own The Legend of Southside Johnny. There is also The Adventures of Diamond Jack (which is associated with Eugene Burger, but I don't know who developed it). There is who killed Lilly Longlegs - by Simon Lovell. There is The Story of Stan & Edith (again I don't know who developed it, but it is associated with both Dan Garrett and Doc Eason). There is also a book by Ariel Frailich called Card Stories.

This is what comes to me off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

Paul
I love "Sam the Bellhop" AND Paul's "The Legend of Southside Johnny".

I got a chance to learn the latter and it's great. I have not taken it to a paying crowd yet but I know it will play very well as a routine that is well constructed and delivered correctly like these can floor a crowd and be a very entertaining piece.

I do these routines at tables in the summer on boats cruising on the rivers in the Twin Cities (drinking, laughing etc - but NOT the Vikings parties, hehe) with people gathered casually around during a few sets. They love 'em! I can't wait to try yours out on them Paul!
[quote]

This is what comes to me off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

[/quote]

yes, thanks! it helps
I have just learned "Sam" and I like this kind of triks.
The only problem is with translation in my language, italian: there are words that have a "sense double" in english making the story fun. In italian it is lost. Also the game of Poker is not very popular here, so the end of "Sam" routine is not so funny because people don't know the rules .
Also the "bellhop" figure doesn't exist here in Italy and "tiping" often sounds offensive.
Simon Lovell teaches his story game on one of his DVD's.
Thanks, Nathan for the kind comments on the board about The Legend of Southside Johnny.

Paul
Lilly longlegs appears in the book "Simon Says" and on the DVD set "Madness Behind the Methods".

David Regal has "After Hours" on Regal Stands Erect/The Stand-Up Magic of David Regal -- part of his "Premise, Power, & Participation" DVD Set.

Use the suggestions in the short term but try and develop your own storyline!
Okay, there were four burglars and...
Michael Ammar does Eric Mead's "A NIGHT AT THE IMPROV" on Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 1. (which I didn't care for. just my opinion).

Nathan mentioned Paul's "Legend of South Side Johnny" which is a good one.
Guy Hollingworth's Once Upon A Time is pretty good. You get 3 stories which everyone can relate to.
[/quote]
The only problem is with translation in my language, italian: there are words that have a "sense double" in english making the story fun. In italian it is lost. Also the game of Poker is not very popular here, so the end of "Sam" routine is not so funny because people don't know the rules .
Also the "bellhop" figure doesn't exist here in Italy and "tiping" often sounds offensive.
[/quote]

Blimey...so why did you bother learning it? SOunds like it would be no fun for an Italian audience!

I find "Sam" too American for a British audience. My friend, the estimable British magician Max Somerset, worked up his own version about Jeeves the butler which plays great when he does it. I quite like Night At the Improv...but one day I'll invent my own (which will no doubt borrow heavily from its forebears)
Plinius - You might be interested in my "A Chip and a Chair" routine. It can be found at:

http://www.underground-collective.com/effects/detail.php?product_id=13

You might also want to see the threads at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=165973&forum=2&post=4605012

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=165973&forum=2&post=4604793

Enjoy. - Scott Grossberg
Doc Eason's Kate, Stan and Edith.
Easy one, Little Bunny's Card Trick?
[quote]
On 2007-04-05 21:50, churken wrote:
Thanks, Nathan for the kind comments on the board about The Legend of Southside Johnny.

Paul
[/quote]

Hi, Is there any place I can find out more about your Legend of Southside Johnny.
For me.. this is the greatest version of Sam the Bellhop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Ky00FNsaU

DGs version is hilarious!!
Juan Tamariz has created stories for the Tamariz stack which can be found in Mnemonica.
Message: Posted by: ricardo carpenter (Aug 19, 2010 01:50PM)
Look at this post here: "Aronson - Story Deck Harmony".
I have been playing with developing a story routine for a stack of my own.

I have been having a lot of fun just going through shuffled decks ala Daniel Garcia (though I am sure he's not the first to improvise this type of routine.)

It is surprisingly easy, especially if you have a few set gags for certain cards when they pop up.

It is a worthwhile exercise. I don't necessarily advocate using it in performance, partially out of respect for Danny, and partially because it isn't always going to go well, lol, especially when just starting.

But, it is a fun exercise. Any who, doing it with my stack deck, going in not having a set script cab help find story potential within your stack I have found.

Perhaps that is worth a thread of it's own, coming up with your own story routines. Maybe there already is a thread. Well, I'm off to search.
[quote]
On 2007-04-29 08:13, ross welford wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]

Blimey...so why did you bother learning it? SOunds like it would be no fun for an Italian audience!

I find "Sam" too American for a British audience. My friend, the estimable British magician Max Somerset, worked up his own version about Jeeves the butler which plays great when he does it. I quite like Night At the Improv...but one day I'll invent my own (which will no doubt borrow heavily from its forebears)
[/quote]

As mentioned Juan has some story routines in his book which would likely be a bit more transferable to other languages.
For proper credit, the routine Kate, Stan & Edith was developed by comedy magician Kerry Pollock (of Wireless Wizardry). Doc Eason and I both had our own slight variations in scripting and handling.
The Big and Little Gambler routine is a fun effect with a great story line that's appreciated by older teens and adults.
See "The Great Poker Demonstration" in the "Scarne on Cards" book.
A streamlined version of it appears in Mercurio's "The Gambling Magician" book.