(Close Window)
Topic: Scorpion
OK I have to make a post both about the scorpion and Rick at Outlaw. The two have to best the best combo in magic today. The scorpion is a work of art and a tool in magic beyond all of the other smash and stab.
Rick doesn't just copy the other 5 same concepts of a spike in various forms. The next thing is that I want to buy an effect that I will use. Too many times as magicians we see effects that are so great but the application or setup or whatever is nothing that I want to do. With this item Rick explains on the page basically the workings and also a place to get a great ring for a significant price cut from other places. He could be greedy and order the ring at that cheap price, mark it up and call it an outlaw ring if he wanted too (Rick if you do do this I want a commision for the idea, imagine that an outlaw ring lol), but he doesn't.

The last bit is that his customer service and generosity is beyond any other shop. This isn't some cheap assembly line product and that you are getting a top quality product at a cheaper rate then most effects that can't do half of what outlaw products can do.

Lets keep this thread about the scorpion and ways that we can help with presentation and stories of using the scorpion.
If you are not a fan of a dramatic routine for this great prop then I would suggest going to the private forum at outlaw and read my recent post of a coemdy tongue in cheek routine for this. I wouls also like to mention in a shameless plug that either Child's Play I or II can also be used with this great product. The Outlaw web site also suggests using Child's Play as a replacement for the ring.

Ron
Please do not post on the mechanics of this effect.

Please do not make posts just talking about me or my customer service record.

Please keep this thread about your reviews or opinions of the scorpion only.

I don't want this thread to get locked.

Thank you.
Here is the basic effect:
You place the scorpion on a table along with 4 little paper cups.

Turn your back and tell the spec. to cover the scorpion with one of the cups and place the other 3 cups in any positions to the left or right of the cup with the Scorpion under it. One by one you crush each cup leaving the Scorpion and it's cup untouched.

What you get:

A very attractive wooden box with a Japanese ideogram painted on the top. Inside the box is a metal spiked ball, about 2 inches around (the center ball is about 1 inches, and it is surrounded by 50 3/8 inch spikes). This ball (the Scorpion) is a thing of terrifying beauty, and it will fit under cups as small as the bathroom Dixie cups, making this an ideal routine for tableside and parlor entertainment.

You do not get one of the items needed to accomplish the effect. This is pointed out on the website ( http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaw/ ) and in the advertisement, but there are alternate methods to accomplish the effect.

My impressions:

I love it. The props are top notch, and the routine is well thought out. This is one of the two best purchases I made this year. Outlaw has hit another homerun.

Tony Iacoviello
Besides being able to be used closeup, it is usable in a party situation where you have an audience of 20or so in a room. I will be using this for small sitting audiences of 20-100, towards the end of a presentation demo'ing everyone's abilities for sensing above the physical. I'll also (probably) be using it for walk-around entertainment at fairs.

I've just nailed a small child's padded makeup box at a swap meet for a buck. It holds the scorpion in its box, 30 cups, 5 coasters and has a nice elastic pouch to a hold spare gafficus . Nice to have, talk about, open and bring out the props...

I think one of the strongest advantages of Rick's Scorpion is that is looks REAL. Not like a prop, or a cobbled together something. It looks believable, and once you have that, the thing becomes whatever you declare it to be. The trick AM what you say it AM. The Makibishi and backstory are perfect, and certainly don't need changing, but there are other stories to be thought up...and the Scorpion is real looking enough to play as whatever you say it is.

This is one solid effect that is, without a doubt, worth more than the asking price. There are, occasionally, some tricks that are invented that empower you. This is one.
Great reviews gents, so true.

I find this effect quite elegant in nature.
Other effects involving potential hand harm leave me cold...but this is different.
Grounded in something more.
The prop seems real ancient Ninja army surplus store material and has real presence. Easy to believe in.
The Makibishi/Scorpion is rare curious item.
Just wanted to post my original review so here it is:

Well....after a long, long, long, long, long wait...I finally rec'd my Scorpion today! It was sent out on 2-3-97 Priority Mail (2-3 days?!?!) Can't blame Outlaw Effects for that! Jeesh I hate the USPS!

Well anyway, after I stopped crying tears of joy, I opened it up to find a little black box with a Japanese symbol on it. I proceeded to open the box only to see the most menacing piece of magic that I have in my arsenal! This thing looks so realistic like a real ninja just made the thing! And anyone who was wondering if it would hurt to slam your hand down on it, well, lets just hope that you never do that. The spikes are solid and sharp! This thing has some weight to it! I can just imagine how much damage this thing would do if you stepped on it or if it was thrown at you or God forbid you slammed your hand down on it! The attention to detail is awesome as some of the spikes facing up are stained red! It comes with cups to perform with which are kinda funny because they show a nice little under the sea pattern on it, you wouldn't think that underneath this harmless looking cup is a deadly weapon! It also come with a complete patter that is based on actual Japanese history. The routine fits the effect very nicely!

All in all, if you want to shock, scare and amaze people, get this now. I will post another review as soon as I get a chance to perform it!

Marc

PS. Thanks for your help with this Rick!

PSS. We need some more posts on performances!!
I have a performance idea that I added in the Outlaw forums.

[b]My original review:[/b]
I finally got a chance to experiment with my Scorpion. Wow, this is perfect to use with Child's Play 1 and II. I definitely like the possibilities for routines. The ninja story line is very nice, and it brings credibility to the whole routine and the prop. My scorpion is well built, and I like the special touch of red on the tips of several spikes. It's like it has been pre-used to kill a real ninja's enemy.

How many others use the Scorpion and Child's Play 1 or II together?

I do like how the Scorpion is made. It seems very durable for many years of use, plus it has a cool carrying case.

Tom
REVIEW OF THE SCORPION

I have been using this for a couple of weeks now to great success and have to say the quality of the build is extremely good. The ball is very solid and the spikes have been stuck on very carefully giving you an extremely scary looking prop. The modus operandi for this allows you a variety of choices to know where the prop is, and depending on which methods you use (they are mentioned on Outlaw effects Website) you should be 100% safe as long as you are carefull.

IMPORTANT. You do need to buy additional props to work with this but the options range from cheap to expensive depending on your budget.

Without exposing I personally use the Cobra Sharpie and wizard ring and both methods work very well with the Scorpion.

The ball looks genuine and this helps build tension in the routine, although I am sure if you made a mistake and slammed your hand onto it the damage would be far less than other alternatives to this effect that use a spike!

The box is very nice and adds a touch of class to the effect and I think the box also sells the idea that the Makabishi is real as well.

My overall opinion is that as long as you are carefull with it and treat this as an adult effect you will have a showstopper in your act that will draw gasps from you audience

Overall Review? 9 out of 10
I was wondering why this thread got locked.....let's keep it up with the reviews gang!
What follows are my first comments after recieving The Scorpion from Rick Roth of Outlaw-effects:

I was trying to figure out why I like this so much considering I don't like the premise or subtext of smash and stabs. It finally dawned on me that the quality of The Scorpion and the story behind the makibishi transcends my usual qualms about such routines. You are demonstrating how the Ninja evaded the weapon when turned against them. There is a presumption of success rather than a fear of failure.

As I believe I mentioned, the makibishi is inherently interesting. Like a good meal, presentation plays a role. The container that holds the Makibishi is simple yet appealing. When opened to display the makibishi inside the weapon looks all the more menacing.

Then there is the fact that you do need to be careful handling it. Yet handling it safely is quite simple.

I took it to show a freind who owns a magic store and performs The Spike. He wasn't there but the counterman and a magician customer were very impressed by the whole concept of The Scorpion. The magician offered me 120 dollars cash on the spot for it. He and the man behind the counter were shocked when I told them the price.

As usual, Rick's love for what he does shines through on these hand made, vicious little works of art. Lets just be glad he uses his powers for good.
My original post:

This product, like all things from OUTLAW - is excellent!

Plus you get a really cool box to hold the evil spiked evil device. I love that box... add some scents and other things and it will get spec's hooked before you even open it...

The ball itself looks very very dangerous... nice bits od dried poison on the tips....

Perfect fit for Dixie cups....

Great backstory - of course, I will make it much more dark... (but of course!)...

I find using a weaker gimmick better for the effect as you have to be careful not to have the thing move a bit.... although it did get me thinking of demoing a ghostly PK effect after the roulette... still thinking about that as I don't want specs to get wise - but as most OUTLAW items do - they spark the imagination....

Yeah Tony, I said I wasn't gonna get it because of my little daughter - BUT I HAD TO GET IT - it looked wayyy to good - and it is again!

Arigato, Rick!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=195930&forum=109&269

And now my current comments:

This effect is really excellent. One of the safest roulettes you can do unless you are an utter moron.

I have also developed it into a sea mine prop for a ghostly tale of WWI spectral ships.

The craftsmanship of the scorpion is great in that it looks handmade and evil...with little bits of poison/blood/rust whatever on it... so nice!

Plus the box is excellent as well - and you mentalists out there realize you can do a dummy billet effect with it? Why not! Put a prediction in the box that states which cup the scorpion will be under...

Like always - this is an item that cuts through the artificial barriers of self-limiting declarations of "is it magic, mentalism, mental magic, or bizarre magick etc ad nauseum!"

Y'know Rick, you ought to be careful - the products like SCORPION are so great (as has been all the items from Outlaw) with many of the effects connecting to each other- you'll be seen as an innovator and producer of some of the coolest items for we dabblers in the art.... the reason you have to be careful is it will raise the ire and jealousy of those who can only criticize, pick at straws, tear down work they know they can never equal, or try to shut down ways the word can get out.

Luckily, the word is already out and we who have been lucky enough to get items like the Scorpion know we should support a company that produces such amazing items.

Like Doug Higley's DARK MUSEUM.... with the Scorpion and soon the Relic.... and what other goodies come... there will be enough of an ensemble to do a NIGHT EXHIBIT of occult objects that a performer can lead an audience through...

The Scorpion is something that anyone serious about doing a unique presentation should consider buying.

Exelsior!

Bruce
I just got mine in the mail, but it's a birthday present so I have to wait until this weekend to start using it! I checked it out, of course, and it looks awesome. I've been thinking of presentation ideas, and one of the potential problems for me has been coming up with a believable motivation to run my hand over top of the cups. What I've come up with is to wear a blindfold. That adds to the presentational possibilities, and gives me a reason to have to reach out and 'feel' for the cups, since I can't see them. Anyone else try this approach?
Scorpion is awesome. Buy it.
You need to be careful with the whole blindfold approach. If you get to close to the cups, you will have a whole different effect on your hands, the ghostly moving Makabishi...

[quote]
On 2007-04-03 13:51, jkvand wrote:
I just got mine in the mail, but it's a birthday present so I have to wait until this weekend to start using it! I checked it out, of course, and it looks awesome. I've been thinking of presentation ideas, and one of the potential problems for me has been coming up with a believable motivation to run my hand over top of the cups. What I've come up with is to wear a blindfold. That adds to the presentational possibilities, and gives me a reason to have to reach out and 'feel' for the cups, since I can't see them. Anyone else try this approach?
[/quote]
JKVand:

I PM'd you an idea on this rather thn post it here. The scorpion is probably the best idea to come along since well, I could give a shameless plug here but I won't. Trust me if you are on the fence about this product JUMP!!

Ron
[quote]
[/quote]

If your touching the cups then people will just think you can feel the device against the side of the cup as you touch it, move it, this would be detrimental to the effect.
[quote]
[/quote]
The presentation details that the cups representate "the path" that the Ninja takes while avoiding the Makibishi.

As I say this line I'm moving my hand over the row of cups explaing that this representates the path of the Ninja.

Rick
Well, Unfortunately I didn't get the video I promised..
however, it went down very well.
I used 5 cups...just to be different you know. :P :)

I found these cups;

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/DXE45SAGE06.html
They're a bit nicer and..traditional like. Although I plan on spray painting all of mine dull black and individually writing the same sign that is on the box onto each one I plan a performance with.

Will post pictures when I receive them and have done it all. :)
Roth writes:

Posted: Apr 2, 2007 12:37pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not post on the mechanics of this effect.

Please do not make posts just talking about me or my customer service record.

Please keep this thread about your reviews or opinions of the scorpion only.

I don't want this thread to get locked.

Thank you.

Hey Roth...when did they make you content editor?! :)
It is partially you and your customer service record that is making me buy this effect so take that! In all seriousness I do like the multitude of performance variables and options that this effect lends itself to. There should be no two performers out there performing this the same way. Looking forward to gettingm mine and developing my own routine.
The reason Roth may have posted this is that the other Scorpion thread got locked down maybe because people were talking about customer service vs. Scorpion - I know that sounds freakin' insane - but who knows.... hence why I will follow his suggestion and besides writing this wild guess above... discuss yet another idea for the Scorpion....

Use it to stop time ala the usual PK way - wrap the story around Ninja death techniques- so masterful they can bestow a kill within the space of a second... time slows to a still with their secret techniques....

Also, as mentioned somewhere else, I think if you ever get a ninja sword-to-card device...imagine the act you can go through.....

Scorpion is a true wonder gimmick
Found this at Wikipedia about Makibishi.

Makibishi
The term makibishi (TH or TH, makibishi?) refers to small, spiked caltrops used by ninja to deter pursuit. When pursued by enemy soldiers, ninja would scatter makibishi on the ground. In ancient Japan, common footwear consisted of sandals made of straw, called zori, which offered relatively little protection against such hazards. Makibishi spines were often hooked, and occasionally grooved to allow for a light coat of poison, to increase the damage they dealt to those unfortunate enough to step on them and possibly result in death.[citation needed]

Stories exist of other destructive versions of maki-bishi which would explode when stepped on. These are referred to as bakuraibishi. However, the general purpose of these was merely that of distraction. They could be used to block an escape route, to make the target vulnerable to attack by means of arrows or direct confrontation while he/she searches another possible path.[citation needed]
As you may (or may not) know, Rick is a close friend of mine. He showed me a Scorpion about two months ago, and naturally, I immediately wanted to buy one. Well, he was back-ordered, to say the least. In fact, I've been calling Rick weekly ever since, offering cash, vacation packages, everything but my first born (ok, but that was just one time, and my son has since forgiven me). Rick was determined to get every back-order out to his customers FIRST, ***ed our friendship. I grudgingly accepted it; hell, it's part of what makes him such an honorable guy. But man, was it worth the wait! The Scorpion is a thing of terrifying beauty, and has already generated conversation among guests who see it on my coffee table.
Heres my take on the Scorpion: I recieved it and opened the box, the smell of poison still fresh on it, and looking like something you would see on display in a museum of death...Old...and evil.

After playing with it for a couple of hours I performed it for my wife and kids.... I never got to finish it.

on the last two cups I decided to dramatically pause over the one that covered the scorpion as if I were about to crush it and they all screamed "NO!" Then they all sat there somewhat abashed and muttering "nevermind...its ok..Please continue"

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. It's the kind of thing you just don't normally find in a regular magic store, its like something you would find in the bad area of Harry Potters Diagon alley, I brought it with me to a pub the other day and used it as the climax effect to my impromptu routine. In a bar or pub I suggest letting it fall onto a lime or lemon wedge to prove its sharpness..very effective.
I should be receiving mine tomorrow. Actually, I guess it's today since the time seems to be past midnight. The suspense is killing me. It's like waiting for Santa the night of Christmas Eve. I may not sleep. Will post thoughts on the scorpion from my perspective "on Christmas Day". Be in touch.
Well believe you me, Its worth the wait. I have heard each one is hand crafted so it makes them one of a kind. I'ts nice to see something that's not mass produced.
Well folks, Christmas day arrived, and guess what I found in my stocking??????
That's right, a SCORPION. First thing I thought when I opened the gift wrap was

"OH MY HEAVENLY DEITY".

This item has lots of power and potential to "kill". I'm, of course, speaking in terms of performance and NOT PEOPLE. What a menacing little fella. In fact, as you read this, my ticker is circulating NINJA blood. I am, without difficulty, able to follow the pathway to my people without fear of bearing weight onto the makibishi. Who knows, I may even try to bust some boards with my fist later.

In more ways than one, that wouldn't be using my head. LOL

Seriously, thanks for the product Rick, and James T above was correct, it was worth the wait. Definitely recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[quote]
On 2007-04-03 16:06, LWright wrote:
Well, Unfortunately I didn't get the video I promised..
however, it went down very well.
I used 5 cups...just to be different you know. :P :)

I found these cups;

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/DXE45SAGE06.html
They're a bit nicer and..traditional like. Although I plan on spray painting all of mine dull black and individually writing the same sign that is on the box onto each one I plan a performance with.

Will post pictures when I receive them and have done it all. :)
[/quote]

You can get these cups at Sam's Club.

I have an interesting presentational idea for this prop. It will be going in a story magic book I am going to publish soon.

I may send it to Outlaw in advance, because I figured out a couple of alternate methods for knowing what is safe.
I will be ordering this tomorrow and using it for my walk-about performance in May. I think this will go over well with certain audiences.
I was one of the first to get my greedy little hands on this clever piece. I have performed it many times and I can say, in my opinion, it is worth much more than Rick decided to ask for it. I do applaud him though for keeping it priced so affordably.

The back story he supplies is terrific and I have had so much fun with this.
I love getting to the last two cups and motioning as though I am going to come down on the wrong cup. Hehe....

This is made VERY well and would last forever I would think. If you have been waiting for a close up version of this type of effect...the wait is over!

This is some great thinking and an interesting prop that demands attention when you bring it out.

Very nice!

Best,
Bobby
I recieved the Scorpion this past week and all I have to say is WOW!! when I first opened the container that held the Scorpion, I looked at it and thought, 'this looks evil'. I thought it was just looks until I tried to pick it up. ADVICE: DO NOT GRAB QUICKLY OR INJURY WILL OCCUR! I didn't even get it half an inch out of the box and let go, man those spikes are sharp!! I have Childs Play 2 and it works awesome with it. There's no mistake as to where the Scorpion is located, NO MISTAKE AT ALL! If you haven't picked one up, I'm glad. More attention directed towards me!!

Richard
Ok, so I've been playing around with Scorpion for a little over a week. People are not only intimidated by the Scorpion, but as someone else mentioned in their post- they actually are afraid for you! It just doesn't have the FEEL of the usual smash & stab routine, which audiences innately know is under the magi's control (despite the mishaps on YouTube!) The Scorpion, however, due to its "organic" nature, seems far more dangerous. Like nothing found in a magic shop, thing is absolutely authentic-looking... and I say that having never seen an actual Makabishi! Reason being, this thing IS authentic, in and of itself. The frighteningly heavy, spiked, black sphere is made by hand, the box is clearly hand painted, (as is the Scorpion itself) including the Japanese character (letter) on the outer box. Instantly, you know this is not a mass-produced item, not a store-bought item, but indeed, a hand-crafted "ball of death" that doesn't look like anything meant for a magic act. It is precisely for this reason, that your audience will suspend their disbelief, and go along (albeit fearfully) for the ride.
This is indeed an impressive bit of kit! I opened mine and instantly uttered someting that sounded like "Clucking Bell that's 'clucking NASTY"!! LOL! ONE touch by the spectator and you will have their attention... and respect I should think!

The prop certainly is substantial and although it does have the "bed of nails" principle going for it in terms of "safety"... I NEVER intend upon getting it wrong...I don't fancy crying in public! I also don't suggest playing catch with it!

The back story is intriguing enough to hold the attention, rationalises the prop and gives some context to the routine...rare beasts these days. The "workings" of the effect are pretty darned fool-proof. You'ld have to be seriously dense to miss the signs (as it were) but practice and confidence are the key words, one builds the other. The method is easy but you need to be clear in your head as to what you will and will not do...one's attention is easily focused on the wrong thing for the right reason and the right thing for the wrong reason...a subtle but ever so important differentiation in this case.

Brilliant work and well worth the price tag...WELL worth it!
FYI, On the Scorpion Forum, I've posted a way to allow your gaff to become much more sensitive during the effect.
FYI on the scorpion forum I have listed a comedy routine just in case you would prefer using it instead of a more serious one. Since my original post I have added some more "bits" but with that post you should get the idea if you prefer a more comedic routine. In any case this is a great prop.

Ron
Man! I am having Sooooooo much fun with this effect.

I have spent lots of "play" time coming up with a complete routine and designing a carrying case with extras for my beloved scorp and the routine. If anyone has an interest in this....PM me and I'll be glad to share. I'm interested in what everyone's come up with.

Once again........Outlaw Produced A Sure Winner In The Scorpion
Did a party tonight and as usual Scorpion went over really well.... Lots of fun and involvement for the audience. It was a smaller group, 15 people or so but all of them got in on the effect. Either by chiming in during the effect or talking about it afterwards or even before I started just at the sight of the prop!

I judge each effect I do based on audience reaction.... I just don't care for filler. There are many effects I really like but for whatever reason, I just can't seem to get the audience to love them like I do...Granted, at times, it may very well be my skill with those particular effects and not the effects themselves... but regardless, I leave them out. Unless the situation just isn't right for it, Scorpion does not get left out... The audience enjoys it too much! If they're happy, I'm happy!

Well worth the money spent!

Best,
Bobby
I posted this on the outlaw forums, but I HIGHLY recommend using styrofoam cups! when you smash them, that make a nice big loud bang sound. I think it really adds to the effect. the dixie cups pretty much just make a smushing sound. I use the full sized styrofoam cups and it still works awesome with my Childs Play 2.
(Slaps head, rolls eyes...)
Now why didn't I think of that? Makes sense, and a lot less effort to smash. Thanks!!! I'da probably gone years before figuring that out.
Without question, the most impactfull closeup psychic effect in the last &$#@%* years. Can a magic inventor receive a MacArhthur?? This is brilliant deception.
Rick has outdone himself. I just got mine this week and I absolutely love it! It is a great (read:logical) effect and has a very clever method. Not much guesswork here; I like that I can check and re-check with even looking. GREAT!

When do we see the "relic"?

Sean
I just purchased Reflections and am seriously considering getting Scorpion as well. It looks fantastic and the reviews are sensational.
[quote]
On 2007-04-22 17:39, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
(Slaps head, rolls eyes...)
Now why didn't I think of that? Makes sense, and a lot less effort to smash. Thanks!!! I'da probably gone years before figuring that out.
[/quote]

let me know how it turns out for you. you could just go to work and grab a styrofoam cup and take it home to experiment without buying any. I know they sell one size smaller of which I havent played with as of yet. I'm not sure how sensitive the pk ring is to the scorpion. but my childs play 2 I can detect it pretty easily.
How many of you actually carry cups around when working strolling?
How's that on pocket management?
I recall someone using origami-type cups?
[quote]
On 2007-04-23 10:45, nique wrote:
How many of you actually carry cups around when working strolling?
How's that on pocket management?
I recall someone using origami-type cups?
[/quote]
A stack of 40 3 inch cups I use is only about 4 inches tall. They easily fit in a jacket pocket.
Mine arrived this morning and here's how it went.
Opened box, drooled a little, made silly noises "Ooooh and ahhh and Mwa ha ha ha and OUCH"!!! Note to self; Read instructions and don't just grab it with the hand containing PK ring, it stings. Thanks Roth, I love it. Can't wait for my RELIC to arrive.
Regards
The sight says there are over 75 3/8" spikes, but I coul not find the actual diameter of the Scorpion. Would someone mind doing a quick measurement? Thanks.
Hi Hollyfeld, I have mine at approx 42mm accross, spike to spike.
Regards
Thanks magicnutuk. That is a great size.
This is a very good effect at a very good price.
I think I need to purchase this. After reading the reviews and checking it out on the Outlaw web-site, I'm already thinking of ways to present this.......and I don't own it.
I've been discussing this with Wellington, who also has one. I worked out a story for this long before it was available. I get a lot of my inspiration for stories from things I find at antique stores and places like that. So I have this really cool ring, which I bought 4 years ago in Salzburg. I had the back story all written. But I needed the right smash and stab effect for it. The Scorpion is definitely it.

I played with it for a couple of weeks. Tonight I decided to perform it for the local magic club. None of the guys had ever seen this. When I crushed the first cup, they understood what was coming, but they didn't believe I would go through with it.

It was BEAUTIFUL!

This beats Shattered hands down...so to speak.
[quote]
On 2007-04-24 01:57, Bill Palmer wrote:
I've been discussing this with Wellington, who also has one. I worked out a story for this long before it was available. I get a lot of my inspiration for stories from things I find at antique stores and places like that. So I have this really cool ring, which I bought 4 years ago in Salzburg. I had the back story all written. But I needed the right smash and stab effect for it. The Scorpion is definitely it.

I played with it for a couple of weeks. Tonight I decided to perform it for the local magic club. None of the guys had ever seen this. When I crushed the first cup, they understood what was coming, but they didn't believe I would go through with it.

It was BEAUTIFUL!

This beats Shattered hands down...so to speak.
[/quote]
There is a private forum for Scorpion buyers filled with great ideas..hint hint :)

Thanks for the very kind words Bill.

Rick
Have now posted my routine in the private forum presentations for those who are interested. It includes my routine(although not really mine, it's just the original great story revamped to fit my needs), items I used to design a carrying case, and where they were purchased. If you own this great effect, journey to the forum and check things out. There are some interesting ideas floating around. If you don't own this effect then.....WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!

Once again.......having so much fun with this. I'm sure once I own "The Relic", and I will own it, I'll have just as much enjoyment.

Thanks Rick for the opportunities
As soon as the money comes in, its going to leave just as fast to purchase Scorpion and Relic. I own just about everything else from the Outlaw and I have to say Rick's products are some of the most effective and beautiful props and effects that I own.
Relic is on the list.
Heres a Scorpion tip, I sometimes like to use the small styrofoam gravy cups, Like the kind you get from A&W. If you use them on a smooth hard surface and give the smashdown a bit of power, the cups make a loud popping noise, sort of like a brown paper bag blown up and smashed between you hands. It's a great attention getter for those of you in the position of wanting to draw an audience in.

James
[quote]
On 2007-04-22 16:14, lunatik wrote:
I posted this on the outlaw forums, but I HIGHLY recommend using styrofoam cups! when you smash them, that make a nice big loud bang sound. I think it really adds to the effect. the dixie cups pretty much just make a smushing sound. I use the full sized styrofoam cups and it still works awesome with my Childs Play 2.
[/quote]
I found some small plastic cups like the dixie ones that will do the same thing.

Ron
Do any of the bigger dealers carry it ?
being so far away I would grab it, if I
could combine it with a bigger order.
[quote]
On 2007-05-01 14:20, WayneNZ wrote:
Do any of the bigger dealers carry it ?
being so far away I would grab it, if I
could combine it with a bigger order.
[/quote]

I don't wholesale the Scorpion to dealers.

I've probably shipped 20-30 Scorpions to Australia. They go global priorty at $7.00 for shipping, and get there in 4-7 days max.

I do package discount deals too :bat:

RR
Just combine the Scorpion with your order for Reflections and the Pendant, and you've got, almost, a whole new act.
[quote]
On 2007-04-22 16:14, lunatik wrote:
[/quote]

Whoops! Sorry lunatik, I completely missed that one. I prefer the little ones though.
Both work awesome! they are super super super easy to smash and make an awesome loud bang! if you haven't tried it, you have to try it guys!
I wanted to post this in a new thread, but honestly, I am not quite sure where it would go? Since this seems to be the hot Scorpion thread right now, I am posting this here. This same post appears in the Outlaw forum under cups.

I've been looking around for the perfect cups for this. Styrofoam in my mind is more desirable because it makes a loud bang and is clearly opaque. To that end, I have found what I think may be the perfect size styrofoam cup, one that is 4 oz. From looking at the pictures of the cups, they appear to be the perfect size, big enough to fit over the Scorpion yet small enough to still detect it from the top with no problems. Having practiced with the 8oz cups, sensing from the top seems rather difficult.

The only issue is that to try these cups out, I would need to order a 1000 cups, a few more than I really need. So, would any of you be willing to buy some of the extras for a reasonable price? If so, let me know and I will go ahead and try these out and if they work, I will sell you my extras. If enough people are interested, I will purchase larger quantities and sell them to whomever wants them.

What do you think?
I saw James T perform this in a bar. They have lots of styrofoam cups (for ketchup and whatever). AFAIR, he just asked and was given.

John
It was the lounge of a german restaurant(lets not make people think I'm hanging around bars now :)

and they didn't have what I needed...so I walked across the street to A&W and they gave me 4 of their lil' gravy cups. They worked great!

I do like the dixie cups, however... Sure wish I could find black ones.
A&W has gravy?
Restaurant supply houses and distributers can get these 4 oz and 5 oz Styro cups for you in small amounts. A friendly restaurant can order them for you. They run about $1.50 per bag of 50. Get the lids too, and you don't need coasters. Lids come in 100 per bag, about the same cost. Your spekkies can do the Monte Shuffle on any surface with the lids on.

Lay out 4-5 lids, have them put the Scorp on one, seal it up with an upside down cup, seal up the other cups and shuffle. Louder pop with the lids on, too
Hey guys! If you pre-order The Relic and..you don't have the Scorpion, take advantage of a HUGE savings and use your 20% Relic pre-order discount special to get a Scorpion for $53.00 and no shipping costs!

PM me for details

:band: :dancing:
[quote]
On 2007-05-04 12:42, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Restaurant supply houses and distributers can get these 4 oz and 5 oz Styro cups for you in small amounts. A friendly restaurant can order them for you. They run about $1.50 per bag of 50. Get the lids too, and you don't need coasters. Lids come in 100 per bag, about the same cost. Your spekkies can do the Monte Shuffle on any surface with the lids on.

Lay out 4-5 lids, have them put the Scorp on one, seal it up with an upside down cup, seal up the other cups and shuffle. Louder pop with the lids on, too
[/quote]

Tom, your BRILLIANT!
Thanks for the compliment!

Another bit for using this outside....the wind will take your styro cups FAAAARRRR far away unless you prethink it:

Walmart, etc, fishing dept: Round flat lead sinkers. They are about 2 inches across, 1/2 inch high. 4-5 ounces each. Pack of 2; $.99. The spekkies put a lead sinker on each lid but one. They put the scorpion on the last one. Each is sealed in with an upside down cup, and all are shuffled by the spekky. Let the audience see the shuffle, they can follow or not, doesn't matter, the suspense is there. AND it doesn't blow away in the wind.
Jorgenson took my idea and expounded on it. I have to say that he made it a lil more portable and made to where the spec and mix up the cups and not have to touch that ouchie ouchie thing. Oh ya, the Scorpion!! Love your ideas Tom!
I got my Scorpion.
I really like it, looks very authentic and real.
The box will be better if painted in dull black rather than shiny black. But overall this is very very good item.

Cheers,
CC.
I also have had my Scorpion for several months now and love it it is a well made prop and aside from watching my audiances reactions I have had the oppertunity of watching another performer presenting it! and watching from the audiance and the others in the audiance reactions this is one effect I will Keep using! thanks outlaw!
I recently met a new client for party planners . I brought along my outlaw wallet and the scopion and a deck of cards. The planner asking what was in the strange wooden case. I wanted to save the scorpion for last but she was really interested in it. Needlees to say after I performed it I did not have to do anything else. I had the job. This really kicks people in the head. Thanks Outlaw

Can not wait for LUNA!!
Greetings everyone,
I have had the scorpion for a month or so and have just started trying it out on family and friends - I had to find somewhere that sold the 4oz styrofoam cups (and I did and they are right down the road from my home!).

Here are some reactions from people. My wife is terrified that I will mess up and hurt my hand and not be able to perform and then we will be bums living on the street :)

The first person that I performed it for was almost sweating they were so nervous that I would mess up and hurt myself - especially after they grabbed it and yanked their hand back after realizing the thing really is sharp! I do a routine that is has them saying "Yes" over every cup and I try to determine when they are telling the truth. As I said, he was very nervous.

Next came my 10 year old cousin. He was so worried about my hand that he asked if he could turn around and not watch because he would give it away if I looked like I was about to stab myself. He is a good kid!

Then it was over to the local magic shop owners who weren't really very familiar with these types of tricks. I didn't tell them what I was going to do, just introduced the scorpion with the backstory and then told them to hide it under the cups, shuffle, and I would see if I could tell when they were lying. When I suddenly smashed my hand down the first time they looked at each other like, "Oh, Crap!" Then they were very nervous waiting to see if I could do it without being injured.

Overall, this prop is so good and evil looking that it almost automatically gets people into the routine without any effort on your part. They kinda have a nervous laugh and are really thinking that this is a dangerous routine.

I am very pleased with this and it will be going into my new show this upcoming year - I am already ordering an entire case of the cups and lids as I will be doing this 4-5 times a day all week long for weeks at a time!

Very highly recommended!
Chad
I bought one of these for Borodin last year, as a birthday present. He was really thrilled with it.
One of the best aspects of this wonderful piece of kit is that it can be performed in practically any situation. I have performed it close-up at a table before and many times on stage.
A little tip, if you are using it on stage, is to blow up a balloon and burst it on the spikes, proving that you are not holding something made of rubber!
It has got me great reactions, particularly when during the performance I claim that I really have no clue where it is and feign concern. The gasps when I smashed the first cup took me aback somewhat.
Great value for money and a wonderful looking prop.
How do you like the price this guy is trying to sell his Scorpion for? LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magicians-Magic-Illusion-Scorpion-Effect-With-PK-Ring_W0QQitemZ160292711893QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160292711893&_trkparms=72%3A1417%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
[quote]
On 2008-10-19 00:52, lunatik wrote:
How do you like the price this guy is trying to sell his Scorpion for? LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magicians-Magic-Illusion-Scorpion-Effect-With-PK-Ring_W0QQitemZ160292711893QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160292711893&_trkparms=72%3A1417%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
[/quote]
I believe that is a fair price, it's only 2 1/2 time the cost of a new one :lol:
I believe Mr. Bill Palmer mentioned in a thread that he had trouble with airlines with the scorpion both as check in and of course carryon. If this is true, why couldn't this be checked in?
Have you seen what it looks like?
I am just curious how you guys present this. If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup. It would be better if they did not know where the scorpion is after the cups were mixed also. That would present more anxiety for everyone. Do you have the person mixing the cups to hide how they are mixing them so they are the only one that knows where the scorpion is.
[quote]
On 2008-11-20 07:47, magicbyswh wrote:
I am just curious how you guys present this. If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup. It would be better if they did not know where the scorpion is after the cups were mixed also. That would present more anxiety for everyone. Do you have the person mixing the cups to hide how they are mixing them so they are the only one that knows where the scorpion is.
[/quote]

I would put a "lid" under each cup so the Scorpion does not roll around. I would have one person mix the cups while everyone is looking and I look away. The next round I have everyone look away while one person mixes the cups. Etc...
[quote]
On 2008-11-20 00:19, DVLKCC wrote:
Have you seen what it looks like?
[/quote]

*haha* I'm sure he hasn't, or else he wouldn't have asked! ;)
It's a FREAKY Looking thing, isn't it!
Yeah, I've seen what it looks like.
Checked in baggage containing weapons type stuff hasn't been a problem for me. I've checked martial arts stuff more blatant than the scorpion.
The reason for checkin problems is not the look but the gaff and it's strength. This info was passed my way from someone who's traveled with this prop and suggests mailing it when you must fly.
Wow...so I can't even fly with this thing? I just bought this off someone here on the Caf but I had it sent to my parents' house since I'm visiting them for the holidays. I guess I'm gonna have to ship it...oh well.
[quote]
If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup.
[/quote]
A lot of guys buy those cheap Chinese bamboo coasters for coffee cups, set three of them down on the table, and then invite the spec to place the Scorp on any of the coasters, cover all three of them with dixie cups, and then move [i]the coasters[/i] around to their hearts content.

The bamboo coffee cup coasters can be found with Chinese symbols and designs on them, and quite look the part if you kick them around in your garden and driveway for a bit before you present them.

BTW, I took Dixie cups and spray painted them gloss red. I cut a Chinese letter stencil (I've no idea what it was, it came from the internet) and spray painted through that stencil onto the red cup in a contrasting gloss gold color.
I always felt the normal Dixie cups looked out of place, but these "red with gold lettering" cups looked excellent and of the period.
I'll give the bamboo coasters a try. This is a fantastic effect. I was concerned about the possiblity of not locating the scorpion, but it never fails! It's so simple and effective I have to remind myself how strong an effect it is.

Jim
It certainly is a great effect and such a nice looking prop. As I have said previously, this is something that I have used many times both in close-up and stage situations and it never fails to get a good response.
Well worth the money...
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Feb 27, 2009 09:48PM)
The Scorpion is great and when performed with the Cobra Sharpie 2.0 pen (so they can mark the cups of course!) it really rocks.

Good magic to all

Eric
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 22:48, gumbystock wrote:
(so they can mark the cups of course!)
[/quote]

I also had the idea of combining Cobra Sharpie with the Scorpion. To use the Cobra to mark the cups, and to give me the secret information. But, I did not like this method because waving the Sharpie over the cups may seem fishy to a smart spectator and it slows down the action.

I recommend Child's Play I,II or III for this type of effect because they are very reliable and the audience is unaware of what is going on behind the scenes.

Best of luck,

Doug L.
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 22:56, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 22:48, gumbystock wrote:
(so they can mark the cups of course!)
[/quote]

I also had the idea of combining Cobra Sharpie with the Scorpion. To use the Cobra to mark the cups, and to give me the secret information. But, I did not like this method because waving the Sharpie over the cups may seem fishy to a smart spectator and it slows down the action.

I recommend Child's Play I,II or III for this type of effect because they are very reliable and the audience is unaware of what is going on behind the scenes.

Best of luck,

Doug L.
[/quote]
In the context of the "story" it's not fishy at all to use the pen. At some point you show that the cups represent "the pathway" the ninja traveled down.

As you say that you casually run the pen across the the length of the cups saying "this represents the path etc etc"

Now, one more time Doug, my friend and loyal Outlaw posse member, NO ONE is going to think that sharpie has electronics in it :)

They are thinking about the menacing looking weapon under the cups and they are enthralled with your story.

The Cobra is a great stealth accessory for the Scorpion presentation, so is Childs Play 2 and just a simple ring will work.

Rick
I use a ring and have had very good luck with the Scorpion. However, I did drop the ring during one performance (it's very loose so it will wiggle). Would it behoove me to look at performing with a Sharpie, or one of the Childsplay devices? Is there really a preferred method, or is just up to the performer?

Thanks, Jim
[quote]
On 2009-02-27 23:58, jimhlou wrote:
I use a ring and have had very good luck with the Scorpion. However, I did drop the ring during one performance (it's very loose so it will wiggle). Would it behoove me to look at performing with a Sharpie, or one of the Childsplay devices? Is there really a preferred method, or is just up to the performer?

Thanks, Jim
[/quote]
I've used the ring hundreds of times, and I've used Childs Play 2 and the Cobra.

They all work great.

Jim, get a sleightly smaller ring size dude :)

RR
Cobra sharpie is great I love this thing!
I have smaller rings - I'll give one a try.

Thanks,

Jim
I use the Cobra Sharpie................works fantastic with Scorpion...

Joe
Picked up my cobra sharpie this weekend, can't wait for my scorpion to arrive now
You'll love it.

Jim
Hi all

I have 3 residencies a week and perform the scorpion 3-4 times a night and in the last 2 years not one person has suspected the CObra Sharpie!! I have fooled many magicians who know the scorpion is m*****c by marking the cups and as I look them in the eye quickly saying 'now I know its under one of these cups but I need you to answer some simple questions' whilst quickly passing the pen over the cups, the pen is in my pocket faster than a spectator can think leaving me completely clean to slam away!!

Trust em then pen is less obvious than you might think, you know its a magnet detector but they don't!! and why would they think the scorpion is a magnet anyway? Even if you blatantly pointed to each of the cups using the pen and named the numbers out loud I still don't think anyone would suspect the pen!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Mar 13, 2009 09:51AM)
You guys are right. Keep the "path" a good size so you can keep your eyes focused on your spectators yet know for sure which cup is your HOT cup as you show the path. I found when I look at the spectator and not the cups it lends even more credibility to the move of simply pointing.

Yes the Cobra Sharpie 2.0 is a great way of doing this effect. Both are great products and you'll be thrilled to own them.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The first time I took my scorpion out of its box, I was shocked...That thing is fr*ckn sharp :-O
It works great, perfect for smaller venues and most important; It doesn't look like "uncle Joe's red and yellow magic box device thingy.." This looks like a real weapon!
Hi,
I want to invite all of you to watch a video.

I've invited previously by PM to Rick "ROTH" (from Outlaw) and I want to give him publicly my gratefulness for his very kind response about my production and performance.

Please, use the next link:

http://www.vimeo.com/4418799

Hope you like it!
Thanks in advance.
Joan Monse
Wonderful Joan!
Thank you, Eddie!
Joan,

Wonderful presentation. I love the newspaper approach.

Dan.
Great job Joan. Wonderful performance with a wonderful efect. RYan
You're welcome Dan and Ryan!
Thanks for watching it and your kind opinion.

I'm proud about this video BUT, I'm a VERY perfectionist person and, I think that, in our beloved art/passion, must be ALWAYS been improving on our own mistakes. In fact, I'm still working in "little details" (newspaper balls diameter, etc, etc...) that are VERY important to assure a successful effect resolution!

We will be in touch!
Best,
Joan Monse
I must say, Joan that even though I didn't understand the words (since I don't speak Spanish) the performance and concept seemed brilliant. I love the idea of using the newspaper balls. Great thinking and wonderful routine.

You bummed me out now though as my Scorpion routine seems so ordinary by comparison. ;)
Joan,

Many thanks for sharing your wonderful performance with us!

You did a great job!.... I am sure Rick was very happy to see what you did with it. Nice thinking indeed!

You also have given me inspiration to work on a new routine for my own performance of Scorpion.

All my best,
Bk
Started using the Scorpion tonight at my gig - did it twice. I've been a little hesitant until now that I have the Cobra 2. This is the absolute perfect "bar" trick. Just perfect. I've also been looking for more of a comedy presentation and I think I've worked it into something usable. Between the Cobra and the Scorpion, there is absolutely no way anyone thought that either was gaffed. These are great products that are practically made for each other.
Amazing Joan! Like Kaliix I don't speak spanish either but I was riveted! I would love to see the video with subtitles to hear(see) your presentation.

One thing that I would be careful of that I was kinda watching for since I know the method was for the paper balls to move. Since they have different shapes my only worry would be that one of the balls would move which might tip the method.

Just something that would concern me. Then again I have never tried using newspaper like that. The weight of the Scorpion alone might make that a non issue. Just thought I'd mention it to you.

Again, wonderful job and please post again when you have the subtitle version available.

Marc
Hi, Kaliix, Bobbyk, Doug Brewer and Marc. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I'm absolutely happy with your opinions. I think it's VERY important "listen" many opinions to make a "final conclusion".

I know that all of you are mentalists/magicians but, ad latere, this Makibishi video is on air in a TV of my geographic region.
It's a 24 hours music video clips television station and they saw the video, on Vimeo, and them was impressed. Them has offered to me to broadcast this video EVERY day at different hours, in between music clip.

This now it's a very interesting form to know different opinions from laymen and, at this time, I'm very happy about it.

On my production company (named MIRA MIRA), we are still editing the tv pilot and the next week we should be recording several "short" mentalism effects to complete the program.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks again for all your opinions!
We will be in touch.
My best wishes!
Joan Monse
[quote]
On 2009-05-15 10:16, gobrownstd54 wrote:
One thing that I would be careful of that I was kinda watching for since I know the method was for the paper balls to move. Since they have different shapes my only worry would be that one of the balls would move which might tip the method.
[/quote]

I think Joan said that he was using the Child's Play watch instead of a ring - which would prevent any unwanted moving.
Yes he told me he is using the Child's Play dress model.

Ron
Excellent Joan! Love the newspaper idea over the 3 ounce cups!!!

Mike :)
Hey, Mike!
Sorry for the delayed response!!!

Thanks to watch the video an your opinion!

Best regards!
Joan
No problem Joan!

I just splurged on Childs Play. I got a great deal from a member. I'm so happy I bought this. I was on the fence for a long time. What a difference it makes when using the scorpion!!! Bring on the bigger cups and hello big newspaper balls!!!! (does that sound weird??? LOL)

Mike :)
I tried several times, but the video doesn't seem to work... :(
Oh, by the way, had I known how great childs play was I would have saved the cash and bought this new from Ron. What a good guy he is. Also, mine is the original so I can only imagine how great the new one is. The scorpion rocks too!
Thanks Mike for the compliment. We (Tom and I) strive to sell the very best products and give good service. Sadly that is not always the case these days with many businesses. Keep watching my web site for future items from Kracker & Frank.

Ron
Just wondering, since I really, really like the story behind this prop :

Isn't there anyone who encountered a spectator who - after seeing the object and realising that it IS made of metal - suspected the method ?

I would really like to be "set at ease" on this one, because it's the only drawback I can imagine.
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 14:17, Moonlightshadow wrote:
Just wondering, since I really, really like the story behind this prop :

Isn't there anyone who encountered a spectator who - after seeing the object and realising that it IS made of metal - suspected the method ?

I would really like to be "set at ease" on this one, because it's the only drawback I can imagine.
[/quote]
If you saw it in person you would see that it does have metal spikes but the actual ball of the weapon is not a smooth metal look.

It looks exactly like what the Makibishi weapon looked like.

Of course using the various methods to detect it completely cloaks the method anyway.

CP1 CP2 Cobra etc
I have never had anyone suspect the method.

Jim
I also have never had anyone suspect the method - and I have used the pk ring and child's play.
Try not to think like a magician!
I've never had anyone suspect the method either. I no longer use a PK ring for the effect, but a 'special' Sharpie which the spec handles as they number the cups for me. It's only in play for a short while so when the actual performance of the effect takes places my hands are completely empty.

As has been said before, the Scorpion is excellent value and a wonderful looking prop.
I see.
Chad, I wasn't thinking like a magician per se. I try to think like a clever layman ;)
But the premise of this effect is so cool that I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for your opinions, fellows !
Contrary to popular belief, laymen are very difficult to fool, so your question was a good one. I've yet to have anyone suspect anything about the scorpion. If fact, they think it's all for real, even though I'm asking completely ridiculous and unrelated questions to "deduce" under which cup they put it (what's your favorite color? regular or peanut m&ms?, etc).
Indeed, Doug. I think that many of us fool ourselves by underestimating the "muggles". I try to think of my lovely audiences as friendly, but intelligent and critical creatures...
It makes the game more fun for both parties.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 10:39PM)
I to use my special Sharpie and NEVER had any questions. Presentation with the Scorpion is critical and the story behind it gives you lots to talk about as well as distract.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I just saw Joan's presentation. Lovely stuff. A bit long, but convincing.
I'd love to see more of you, mr. Monse.
Did you ever get this Moonlightshadow? If not, here is a "review" of my most recent use of it a few days ago. This was in a thread in inner thoughts but it is also relevant here as well!

I had a teen program in a library yesterday and performed with my Outlaw Scorpion. Not only did it get a great reaction from the teens and the adults in the audience - the story of this ancient ninja weapon had their attention before I ever actually got to the effect and told them what I would be doing. Actually, I never tell them exactly what is going to happen until I slam down on the first cup - then the whole mood changes and the tension rises - and then at the end a very, very strong round of applause.

The Scorpion's storyline gives you a reason to do what you do, and, it is able to be passed out to folks in the audience prior to doing the effect and while you are setting up the background story.

By the way, I also performed sponge balls during the show...to a great reaction as well... :devilish:

Nobody in the audience had ever seen anything like it that I am aware of.

Chad

PS. My cousin who helps me during the summers as my assistant, still thinks that I am actually reading the volunteer to see if they are lying/giving away where its at. She has no clue as to the actual method even though she is starting to think like a magician from having seen me do so many things and due to setting up much of my stuff prior to my shows.

By the way, I was using my child's play II regular version for this program - I wear that watch at all times anyway unless I'm at my "fancy" shows where I wear my fancy version. It worked great!
Moonlightshadow, PLEASE!
Sorry my super delayed response!!
Thank you VERY much for your kind words.

Like I said before, I'm absolutely agree that the video routine is a bit long.
In fact, new version it's shorter and I added more "action" in the beginning.

Sorry again and best regards!
Joan
Question, what about spectator inspection, can I give scorpion to audience for inspection and can they somehow suspect the secret or even scorpion could reveal somehow by itself..I hope you understand question..
I inflate a balloon & ask someone to hold it,then I bring out the Scorpion & I let a spectator touch it(very carefully), then I take the balloon & slam it down on it.

It definitely sets the mood.

Mike