(Close Window)
Topic: Fortune Telling Fish "Directions"?
Hey Guys,

Recently, I purchased a few gross of Fortune Telling Fish. There is one catch on the version I purchased - there are no directions. I was wondering if there are funny little directions that people use and are willing to share. Of course it needs to be simple for the kids to read, yet funny at the same time.

Thanks for all the help you have given in the past (you have no idea how much I have learned from you), and Iím sure you will at least help my brain to start turning on this one.
Bruce Kalver has a great idea in his book on birthday shows. It is available at your favorite magic dealer or from Mr. Kalver's website: [url=https://manatee.site-secure.net/tophatprod/magic/magicshop/magicshop.html]click here[/url]

Best,

Dan-
If it curls up, you're alive; if it doesn't move, you ain't.

The usual directions aren't that suitable for kids anyhow. You could have a lot more fun writing your own. What about some likely predictions:

Lays flat- Your feet stink.
Sides curl- You don't like brussel sprouts.
Tail lifts- One of your fingers is the same.
Head lifts- One day you laughed so hard your drink came out your nose.
Both lifts- Neither of your socks are pulled up.
Curls right up- You're staring at a plastic fish, and everybody thinks that that is weird thing to be doing.

George
Umm, you take the fish from it's envelope and place it in your hand (should be printed on the envelope).
How it moves, flips, curls, turns over, or just lays there (dead fish) is determined by how much body heat or circulation you have in your hands. Think of it as the soft version of the jumping disc.
The story you use for children will be up to you, by the by, breathing on it while it is on a table top will also make it move; warm breath, like a slow "haaaah", not like blowing out candles.
k
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=173582&forum=17
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=69748&forum=5
George is spot on...and great creativity...
Hey, there's that word.....CREATIVITY!
George,

Best instructions for the Fortune Telling Fish I've ever read.

Derrick
Thanks, George, that's exactly the inspiration I needed. I will look into the book as well (it was already on my list to purchase). I had viewed those previous links, but unfortunately they were more for routines and I was looking for instructions to place on the back of a business card. Thanks, everyone, for your help. It always surprises me how helpful and creative everyone is.

Ryan
Ryan,

Do you mean that there are no fortunes printed on the pack?
If so, where did you buy these?

James
That's correct, James. I purchased them through Rhode Island Novelty a month ago.
Sounds fishy to me.
Sounds like you got a knock-off. The Fortune-Telling Flounder, perhaps?

See if the eyes are on the same side of the head.
I think they are, as well. I actually prefer them this way. It will be funnier with my own fortunes, and hopefully a better marketing tool as people will have to look at my card.
Like everybody else, I've never seen one without the instructions printed on the rear. Wish mine didn't now...so's I could fix up my own!

Steve
Please provide a link. I'm like other people - if I can print up my own directions, even better :)

Do they still come in the little plastic baggie thing?
Here is what I have used in the past.
Feel Free to help yourself, but I like MagicGeorge's better.

P R E S E N T S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
THE WORLD FAMOUS
FORTUNE TELLER FISH
Place fish in palm of hand and itís movements will indicate:

Moving Head................................................Smart

Moving Tail........................................Nice Person

Moving Head and Tail ........................... Smart & a Nice Person

Curling Sides.............................Good Personality

Turns Over.................................Great Personality

Motionless....................................... Forgetaboutit

Curls Up Entirely.................You are Very Special
I use mine at the beginning of a workshop, in each child's hands, to "prove" if they have magic inside them or not. And, of course, they all do. :)

P.S. Magicgeorge's schtick has just moved to the top, though!
They do come in a plastic sleeve. They are actually called Miracle Fish.
I ordered them from http://www.rinovelty.com Just do a search for "fortune fish". The picture is of the original version, but I received the Miracle Fish. Iím not sure how many they have, but I will be ordering a few more gross from them shortly.

Thanks, Neznarf, and everyone, for sharing there ideas.
I have one more question in regards to this... Would it be over the top to have a marketing message in the "fortunes", such as:

Motionless- You need entertainment. Hire _________ for your next birthday.

Or something like that?

Bare in mind that this would be on the back of a business card.

thanks
Great idea, Ryan! The reason I never used them as giveaways was because of the fortunes that were meaningless to kids. Blank packages would be ideal with the fortunes on your business card.
Found mine on eBay. It was like 5 gross for $7.99...

Steve
By the way, the thing they react to is moisture, not heat. Put them in a Ziploc, and no matter how hot your hand is, there will be no change. It's sweaty palms that makes them curl up!
Neat! I was not aware of that..thanks!!
k
[quote]
On 2007-04-04 19:54, Ryan Price wrote:
I have one more question in regards to this... Would it be over the top to have a marketing message in the "fortunes", such as:

Motionless- You need entertainment. Hire _________ for your next birthday.

Or something like that?

Bare in mind that this would be on the back of a business card.

thanks [/quote]
Ryan, I love that...

I'd have just that one instruction on the back!

I'd make a copy of the fish with a heavier red acetate so it wouldn't fold, and switch it out when they keep the fish.

Maybe not as cool a giveaway, but they see it moving in your hand and someone else's, but when they take it home it won't move!

M:C
Matt, that sounds like a lot of work and kind of a let-down to the kid getting the fish. Better to reverse it, so it works in the kid's hand but not in yours. Then, have the "fortune" on the back say something goofy for when the fish doesn't move.
I will print custom messages on address labels with my website and phone # on the bottom, peel and stick over the original message. This also keeps them from crumbling so easily. tj
If you want to give the kiddies a startle (and add some spice to your magic lesson), use Michael Lair's "Misfortune Fish" (available at MJM for about $12) while they all use the real ones. Lair's version looks like theirs, but lies limp in your hand while the kids' are wiggling all over . . . Great twist so that you'll still have something to teach them next time (or a chance to be magician-in-trouble as you must have no talent or "fortune").

Mumblemore Magic
Check out the May 2007 issue of "Magic" Magazine (Silly Billy's column) for an interesting article about using the Fortune Telling Fish.
Fortune Telling Fish are always a crowd pleaser as far as give aways or cheap swag.

Has anyone seen Michael Lair's Misfortune Fish trick?
I was skimming my local magic shop's online store and saw it, but there's no demos or pictures and I haven't seen any write ups anywhere on the Cafť.

Anyone got it? You like it or is it a pass?
[quote]On Dec 18, 2020, bubbles wrote:
Fortune Telling Fish are always a crowd pleaser as far as give aways or cheap swag.

Has anyone seen Michael Lair's Misfortune Fish trick?
I was skimming my local magic shop's online store and saw it, but there's no demos or pictures and I haven't seen any write ups anywhere on the Cafť.

Anyone got it? You like it or is it a pass? [/quote]

I have it and I can tell you that it isn't good looking. I mean it looks kind of different to the real ones. I never used it so far but as soon as I'll have the chance I will just to see how it plays.
The last I bought could not be gotten out the thin plastic envelopes, at all. I was using going to put them in "magic sets". Ended up putting them in the trash.