(Close Window)
Topic: Roadrunner Cull help
No one has probably has ever heard of this, but what the heck. This is a move by Kostya Kimlat, You can let the spectators shuffle the cards themselves face up into face down themselves after they have made a selection and then cull all of the face up cards to the bottom in 10-15 seconds. I have his notes explaining the effect. If any has tried this can you please p.m and explain it a bit better for me? I really need to learn this. I guess I don't learn well without pictures.

Ryan
There have been MANY threads, long threads on the Roadrunner cull.

Try searching some of the other threads on this because they include a lot of great handling tips that would improve it.

You can also pick up his DVD which demo's the cull in 4-5 effects, including 2 performances of Culligula.
Culligula is great, but does he explain the cull rather than just demo it?
First of all, email him. He has taught the cull many, many times to many, many people. He can help you out. Secondly, find out if he plans to lecture near you since he teaches the cull there. Thirdly, I believe he is coming out with a DVD on the cull soon.

If you need any specific help on the cull, if you PM me I'd be happy to help since I do it often, or refer you to someone else on this forum who knows the cull.

Good luck.

Cody
What is the difficulty of the cull on a scale of 1-10? and this doesn't mean getting it perectly in performance but actually just learning the technique?
Hmm...not quite sure exactly the number I'd give. The technique is not horribly difficult to get down if you are familiar with the classic Hofzinzer spread cull but it will take a while to get the correct rhythm. It takes even longer to get to the point to be able to do the triumph. It is also very useful though to just cull four or five cards.

Cody
It is like all the moves. When you have it down, it is second nature. Difficulty 1 on 10. The thing is: you need to put the time into it to get to this mastery. Like a good DL, a good pass... a good cull.
The written description in the notes are pretty clear, if I remember correctly. He also teach it in his International magic lecture DVD.
Stay on it and experiment.
Jonathan.
http://www.internationalmagic.com

They sell the lecture dvd which Kostya did last year. In the dvd he gives an in-depth explaination of the 'Roadrunner cull',

Diane
Hey guys, I do the Hofzinzer SC a lot for 1-5 cards or so. I am impressed with the RR Cull(from a demo). I don't have the need to cull more than about 5 cards, but am wondering if the RR would replace the Hofz. for my purposes. In other words, is it worth switching for so few cards? I know the RR is great for many cards, but how about just a few (compared to the Hofz.)?
Griff, while this has not been made completely clear, the RR cull *IS* a Hofz spread cull, it is just Kostya's handling / fingering of it.

In other words if you are already doing a hofz. spread cull for 5 cards, then you can do the same for 26 cards, because the mechanics are the same, its just kostya has a different fingering / rhythm for it.

So you wouldnt be switching, but perhaps just refining the cull you are already doing.
With the help of cody I completely understand the cull now, and hot *** is it a nice one. It will take some work though to be able to cull half the deck. But even for 4 cards or so it is perfect. I just need to get the rhythm down now, and I can imagine this is the only move I will be doing for a while now, since I get quite obsessive.

Thanks for everyones help.

Ryan
[quote]
On 2007-04-06 20:25, Dizzy wrote:

They sell the lecture dvd which Kostya did last year. In the dvd he gives an in-depth explaination of the 'Roadrunner cull',

Diane
[/quote]

strange, because I always read/hear that it is just a brief/very short description....as far as I know kostya didn't published a really in depth description (unfortunately) though it is his most request effect. I'd love to learn it as well. but I am not gonna pay big bucks for a brief description...if I am wrong, please let me know
I think for four cards I would look into Marlo's prayer cull... but that's just me.
I have looked into the prayer cull, but this one seems more efficient if you ask me, but you're not so I'll shut my fat mouth.
No need to "shut your mouth" brother.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you feel it is more efficient? I use the prayer cull for four cards, and the roadrunner for separating colors, or larger sets of cards (say a suit).

I'm curious why you feel the Roadrunner, for a small group of cards, is a better alternative?
[quote]
On 2007-04-08 23:00, Memory-Jah wrote:
[quote]

Diane
[/quote]

strange, because I always read/hear that it is just a brief/very short description....as far as I know kostya didn't published a really in depth description (unfortunately) though it is his most request effect. I'd love to learn it as well. but I am not gonna pay big bucks for a brief description...if I am wrong, please let me know
[/quote]Well it is well described. It's video from his lecture at London, and he goes in details how to do it.
Its going to take lots of practice. I saw it performed twice, once in Miami and once in Atlanta. Difficulty scale of 1-10, just begining....10. Today its a breeze. The only way it will work is if you get to that level wear you don't even have to really try," your hands move by themselves", as Kostya puts it. It is muscle memory. It is very satisfiying to do right under their noses. I now do this every time with no problems. I took me ,personaly, about four months of practice before it looked good for laymen( I really only had the notes to go back to). Worth every day. I hope most people give up on it. Right now I never have to hear .."I've seen that before." Only those precious words.." NO WAY!" Good Luck Ryan!
Thanks jason, Its slowly coming along, nordatrax , I think it basically just feels more comfortable for me to cull cards casually with this method, as apposed to the prayer cull, I suppose its just as good but more of a comfortability thing.

Ryan
Keep practicing. This is one of those moves that if I could only use 4 moves for the rest of my life, this would be one of them (w/ a DL, pass, and second deal). The Triumph using this cull is unreal. Well worth the time and effort.
Agreed
[quote]

Diane
[/quote]

well this is rather interesting. I have read and searched a lot about the roadrunner cull. and when I say alot, I mea ALOT. I probably read every single thread there is regarding this topic. I even opened up my own thread. now comes the interesting part: since I was always very interested in this cull my first question of course was were to obtain the technique and learn it from. now comes the dvd in play...the good ol dvd. strangely enough people say it has an in-depth explanation, like diane just told us again. many others say it just mor or less shows a demo, or short handling, not really teaching it. so whats true? is on that dvd really an IN-DEPTHS handling where you see and learn every nuance?? I don't wanne pay big bucks to rip open the celophane and get a dvd where mr kimlat demonstrates the enormous power of this cull without telling me how in the blue hell he did it.
any answer is appriciated, especially from persons who own the dvd.

All the best,

Markus
If I remember correctly the DVD covers the move quite extensively. But the video CD that was along his set of notes only showed the roadrunner cull in action in a "demo only" section.
Maybe this is the source of the confusion.
Jonathan.
I took Kostya Kimlats Cull Workshop.

I've practiced the Cull for quite a while.

I don't do it perfect and it take me more than 10 seconds to cull/seperate face up and face down.

But of all the close up stuff I do that get one of the best reactions.

The Culligula Triumph is the routine I do.

But like I just wrote, it takes a LOT of practice. But way wort it!

BTW Kosta Kimlat lecture is one of the best lectures I've seen.

Nez
I actually just watched Kosta's DVD today. I thought the explanation was rather thorough. I'm gonna give it a go...so I'll let you know.

Luke
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 31, 2007 06:05PM)
Is there a video clip somewhere, where the move is shown (not disclosed, but from a spectators view) ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_B6ZhkmVM

shows his triumph routine utilizing the Roadrunner Cull.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 1, 2007 03:30AM)
Thanks a lot - I knew that you guys are great.

And, the cull looks pretty good.
Where can you get his dvd?

Thanks,
Alton
From International Magic. http://www.internationalmagic.com/
Buy Kostya's notes people. He explains it very thoroughly.
[quote]
On 2007-06-02 01:31, in flames wrote:
Buy Kostya's notes people. He explains it very thoroughly.
[/quote]

Just for the record, I have his notes.......I attended one of his lectures in 2002 in Pekin, IL. They are entitled MAGIC: Experiments with the Art & Thoughts on the Artistry and the second set I have is the Joker Game both autographed copies from 7-23-02. The first set contains the Roadrunner Cull and Cull-igula. Just curious about the dvd someone mentioned. Enough said.

Alton
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 3, 2007 08:06PM)
I am not fishing for the secret, a simple yes or no is sufficient.

But is there a real difference between this cull and the one that Darwin Ortiz teaches in Scam and Fanatasies?

Andy
[quote]
On 2007-06-03 21:06, Andy the cardician wrote:
I am not fishing for the secret, a simple yes or no is sufficient.

But is there a real difference between this cull and the one that Darwin Ortiz teaches in Scam and Fanatasies?

Andy
[/quote]

without giving to much away I can say that mechanically they start out the same since they are both based on the spread cull. I think that if you can build up the speed the roadrunner cull is the way to go but I think that the Ortiz cull could be easier to learn.
Culligula is in Kostya Kimlat's lecture notes, "Card Work, Card Play." A CD with video demos are also included with the notes and he demos, this routine during 2 different performances. This is a great routine, but takes a lot of practice and it helps if you have a brand new deck of cards while practicing.
Ryan, you asked for help on the roadrunner cull, but also try the Drop Cull separation taught in Vol 6 of the Lennart Green set (called "Green magic"). The idea is very intuitive and the separation is quite fast.
The ROAD RUNNER DVD

http://web.mac.com/kostyamagic/KostyaMagic/Welcome.html
Message: Posted by: The Amazing Noobini (Oct 20, 2007 08:04AM)
Kind of funny how the most expensive stuff always have the word "only" in front of the price.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 9, 2007 06:39PM)
You're getting ten-years of blood, sweat, tears, and
creative, imaginative work, beautifully presented and filmed.
In my book no matter the price, that is "only"
and frankly, priceless!

Walt

http://web.mac.com/kostyamagic/KostyaMagic/Welcome.html
It looks like I'm 10 years late to the party. But I do have a few questions regarding this cull if anyone experienced care to address. In culling a four of a kind, what are you supposed to do if one of the wanted cards is the very first card on top of the deck or the second from the top?
You cut the deck or make one more shuffle.
[quote]On May 9, 2019, Rachmaninov wrote:
You cut the deck or make one more shuffle. [/quote]

So you're saying that the cull should not even be attempted if the desire card(s) is located at either the first or second position from the top?
Question for everyone: when do you know that you have perfected your cull to a sufficient standard?
Well the closer you can mimic Kostya's speed and smoothness, the further you are to perfecting it.
Quoted from above: "This is a great routine, but takes a lot of practice and it helps if you have a brand new deck of cards while practicing."

"Well the closer you can mimic Kostya's speed and smoothness, the further you are to perfecting it."

Good point. Lots of moves are designed in ignorance, only for a new or almost new deck. I only do sleights that work with any deck. I am not applying this to the RR cull. That would depend on how you find it works with the decks you use.

As for speed and smoothness, I differ a little here. If you are too fast and too smooth, then you are basically telling your spectators, 'I am fast and spend all my time in a closet practicing my card moves." As Lorayne and others have said, you have to have a justification for the move.

I do not ask you to agree with me, but I avoid flourishes. I don't want them to attribute my magic to skill. That is why often my performances cause great and sudden fear. Because they can only attribute it to magic and not to my skills. I think you can overuse the cull very easily. Without credible, logical justification.
Is there a dvd where I can find Marlo's prayer cull explained? Thank you.
Not that I am aware. Ever S Sleightly and MINT.
[quote]On May 19, 2019, sandromagic wrote:
Is there a dvd where I can find Marlo's prayer cull explained? Thank you. [/quote]

According to the ad copy, you can learn it here:

https://bigblindmedia.com/products/the-cullfather-iain-moran
John Carney's got some work on the prayer cull in the Book of Secrets/Video of Secrets.
Just so you know, Master Pupkin is pretty much a Marlo expert. He really knows Marlo, among others.