(Close Window)
Topic: Show for kids about recycling
Hello all,

I've been playing with the idea of developing a magic show for schools with an environmental message - it's a really hot topic (excuse the pun) right now and so might be pretty popular. I thought it would be interesting to try and develop a few tricks using stuff that can be recycled - cans/tins, cardboard, polystyrene etc. Even something simple like a cup and ball could be made to have the right message if you used empty baked bean tins and a screwed up bit of newspaper.

I thought I'd throw the idea out here for a bit of a brainstorm!
You must find out about Barry Mitchell's (sp) Garbage Busters show.

Joe
Hmm, just did a quick google but to no avail. I'll keep looking though, sounds interesting.
There is a book called "Recycling The Magical Way" by Michael Rappa. Hank Lee is the only place I know that currently carries it.
Torn and restore paper?

Healed and Sealed Soda?

maybe cut restore rope , floating rose!!

with fantasy you can develop enviromental routines with simple and clasic tricks
Cheers folk! Love the rope and rose :D

Will check out that book, too.
[quote]
On 2007-04-07 17:00, Tesseract wrote:
Hmm, just did a quick google but to no avail. I'll keep looking though, sounds interesting.
[/quote]

http://www.barrymitchellproducts.com/store/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=Going_Green_Garbage_Busters_Recycling_Show_DVD
Suprised no one mentioned Steve Trash ! He tours all over the USA, and was featured in an article in MAGIC recently. He has released a "green" theme magic set for sale to the general public. Check him out, as he has been doing this type of show for awhile....

http://www.stevetrash.com

:where:

Mark
On youtube there is an explanation for this trick too, donīt know about the quality of that explanation.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Nov 23, 2009 10:20AM)
As mentioned above I too use Barry Mitchell's Garbage Show - go to his web-site $30 for the dvd of a performance and diagrams of how to convert common props. Great fun for the kids
There is a great book by Michael Rappa called Recycling the Magical Way.

Best,
James
Axtell's "Green Machine" is perfect for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxLnMnBFd4
I wish schools here in the UK had the same idea about asembly shows. I have a range of educational shows that always go down well but the school are very reluctant to part with their money!
Maybe I should film my show and sell the DVD in the USA or does anyone want me to do a tour?
I think a green show is a great idea! Thanks for all the information.
I just wanted to ask a question for those that do a recycling show. What do you use as giveaways? For instance if you usually use a colouring sheet or something similar what do you use instead? Printed paper goes against the theme of the show, doesn't it?
Not if it's on recycled paper. :)
Potentially, I did think about it but you would have to make sure they all know it is recycled. It might go against the "reduce" part of the show however.
Any more thoughts on it?
Maybe give every one a leaflet and tell them to put it on their notice boards at home so they can see how many years it takes for paper to break down!
Not only have they got your info but it's there forever!
I used to use the Vanishing Coke Can with a recycling theme. Also, there used to be a trick called P.O.W.E.R. (I think that is what it is called) I actually bought it to use for a recycling routine but I never did get around to adding it to my show. It was a great idea though.

Regan
And of course, card tricks using Bicycle's Eco Deck.
I have Barry mitchells garbage buster f/s here in uk.
There is also a "chop" garbage can with gaffed flies that uses small plastic bags full of trash as the final load. (I think I got mine form Hank Lee)
Please watch the Penn and Teller BS episode about recycling first so that you're imparting balanced information in your educational show ...
Dan Rodney developed a great show for McDonalds about 10 years ago. He can be contacted through the SAM administrator.
I think it might be fun to work some of the everyday item tricks in with a reuse/recycle twist. "Did you know that the rubber band and paper clip you just threw away could be magic?" Maybe a shell trick with bottle caps. It could also end up providing for a cheap giveaway if you show kids a trick with a really common item and then let them keep it.
Does this hope of show still go over well? How many of you are doing this type of show?
I am thinking of picking up the recycle show word waver silks Barry Mitchell has
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Apr 15, 2011 01:53PM)
Yes more schools are coming on-board with these shows (even in the UK through sponsorship schemes. Also quite a few energy companies are reforming their education teams after a twelve year gap.)

It's also worth looking at this puppet http://www.onewaystreet.com/product/raccoon_can/animal_puppets

I'm currently trying out ideas for the word wavers
Nice tip on the raccoon.
[quote]
On 2010-02-01 21:38, Ryan Price wrote:
I just wanted to ask a question for those that do a recycling show. What do you use as giveaways? For instance if you usually use a colouring sheet or something similar what do you use instead? Printed paper goes against the theme of the show, doesn't it?
[/quote]

Yes, that is why you use recycled paper and I have a small phrase on mine that says it is recycled and I also say - please be kind to the earth - color me and hang me up. Do you want to guess what happens? Parents call me from those coloring sheets.
I just put out a prop JUST for this type of show...
you can order it right from me.. or you can get them from Hocus-pocus magic.. it's exclusive from them and me!

http://www.wackomagic.com/wackomagic/Tiny_Tricky_Trashcan.html