(Close Window)
Topic: Coming Very Soon!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2vBBeLQUxs

Peter
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 16, 2007 03:44PM)
Looks like another winner from Peter and the guys at Alakazam!
Peter,

Is this purely a presentational teaching dvd or will you be teaching what you are showing in the performances as well? Either way it goes it looks like it will be pretty good. More real world teaching and demonstrations is always good to me.

--Jim
Peter:

It looks good, but shouldn’t it me in Latest and Greatest instead of here?

Tony
Looks good. Any idea when it will be available?
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Apr 17, 2007 02:29AM)
Nice, very nice
Hi,

We are expecting the release to be the first week of May.

Regards

Peter
So well done Peter
arthur
Looks nice. I like seeing real world real performances of restaurant magician so this is on my preorder list.
Think I'll be picking up this too. Looks excellent!

Iain.
Looks really good!
Trust me this DVD is a workers dream. Full of usable commercial magic!

Peter
I'm geddin' excited folks!!! This looks hot to trot.

Peter Nardi, you have an eye for TOTAL COOLNESS!!
Hi Guys,

Here is a taste of what on the DVD.

Matthew J. Dowden

Party Animal

Matthew is a professional Close up Magician and on his debut DVD you will experience some of his LIVE work. There is NO audience setup and NO fake reactions, just the real work in a real world setting.

All the routines explained on this DVD have been audience tested over hundreds of performances. The handling of each effect has been honed to perfection and each one has been geared for maximum entertainment value and quick, visual impact!

SHRINKAGE is an instant, eye-popping transformation. A selected card visually shrinks in mid air right in front of your spectator’s eyes!

CARD TO ANYWHERE is an ingenious method of vanishing a selected card to have it appear literally ANYWHERE! Card thru window, card in bottle, card to shoe let your imagination run wild!

CARD TO ANY NUMBER gets straight to the point. It is a very workable version of a classic that you will perform at EVERY opportunity!

WALK AROUND WALTZ is Matthew’s handling for the classic Anniversary Waltz which has been carefully reworked for the walk around performer. It’s extremely direct and more importantly all done in the hands!

EASY DECK VANISH does exactly what it says on the tin! It’s the ideal trick to end on that is quick, easy and leaves them wanting more!

REPEAT CARD TO MOUTH is a multi-phased routine based on the popular classic. The harder they try to catch it the less chance they have; then you hit them with a knockout ending!

X MARKS THE SPOT is a fantastic presentational idea for a classic routine that you will always perform when they ask that inevitable question: “Can you tell me how you do it?”

Learn all of this and more on this incredible two-disc set! Also includes: MST, SOLE SELECTION, TWO PERSON THOUGHT OF CARD, CARDS TO POCKET, MINI ME, THE TIME MACHINE and much, much more including a bonus section featuring Matthew’s routines & technique for stealing watches!

Regards

Peter
This DVD Looks very interesting; I haven't seen the full DVD but I'll just add a few comments on what I learnt from the preview clip.

I like the style of the 'in the trenches' aka a public house/bar rather than having it all staged (L and L) as the power dynamics here are more realistic than inviting people to watch you perform. I would like to see more of this style or performance/teaching and I imagine you'll indirectly learn a lot about how to manage spectators and also the difficult spectators that often consume one too many beverages who feel more comfortable to challenge you. Plus learning what I call 'table management' too where the performer has to gain maximum use out of the table/audience space (see card in the beer bottle effect).

Even from viewing the Youtube video, the idea of having the spectators drum roll on the table is a great way of getting people involved and drawing attention to yourself around the venue you are working.

Thanks Peter for sharing.

David
Hmm, looks very nice. It certainly looks interesting enough to make me want to buy it. I actually was fooled by the card to pocket effect, very nice work guys.
Thanks peter, you have my card details, nuff said
ps. looks lke james brown has some competition, hopefully it will speed up his 2nd dvd release!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Apr 18, 2007 05:44PM)
I think Peter has set a new trend in Magic DVDs. And I think the James Brown DVD started it all. High quality, awesome magic, shot in front of a real audience, nothing set up, in the trenches etc.
Then Peter released Ice Coins and the Taylor made book test, again effects shot in the real world with nothing set up. After that came my DVD, again shot in live situations, nothing set up or pre- set up. Now comes Matthew Dowdens DVD, and I know that Peter has some others that he is working on that I am looking forward to!
One thing that sets Peter above all other dealers is his risk factor. A proper Entrepreneur who takes risks on techincal nobodies. Rather than going to a name that has been known troughout the Magic world for years and years, with many releases to their name, Peter is looking for new talent, with fresh ideas and different approaches. Peter puts a lot of money into getting the DVD recorded and edited and released etc and it is a very hit and miss business, to which Peter needs commending. Support these DVDs as I know the hard work that goes into this, and I think they are only ever going to get better
[quote]
On 2007-04-16 16:44, Christopher Williams wrote:
Looks like another winner from Peter and the guys at Alakazam!
[/quote]

Definitely!
Competition indeed! Looks great. Power/commercial magic with a great deal of strong, natural misdirection. Really looking forward to seeing this.

James Brown
P.S. The deck vanish at the end caught me the first time too!
I met Matthew at Blackpool and he was showing bits and pieces in the Ruskin. He is a natural performer and entertainer. Very much in the same ilk as Greg Wilson. A lot of charisma with some really strong effects. He puts the entertainment back in magic.

I have no doubt this DVD will be a huge success. I can't wait for it to be released.
James, when can we expect to see more from you on the alakazam shelves?
Not too long, I promise!
Thanks mate
best of luck with everything.....
Wow, there is really a lot of stuff that interests me in there. Shrinkage is a definite closer (And I'd have something to do with my mini-bikes)
WOW!!
Thank you all soooo much for your kind words. I'm really glad you all like what you have seen so far. This DVD is really important to me as I have bared all...so to speak. As the guys at Alakazam have said, there are 2 DVD's and there is an hour and a half of stuff on each one. So I think/hope there is something for everyone.
I would like to take this opportunity as well to tell you all what a pleasure it was working with Alakazam. Peter Nardi and his team, including Chris and everyone have been great from start to finish so a big thank you to them.
I look forward to reading your comments when the DVD comes out and please feel free to ask me anything and I will answer when I can, although I don't get many chances to get on the forum so please don't be offended if it takes a while.
Thanks once again!
This looks like a very promising project! in the demo I noticed you did a card shrink effect I saw in a genii issue a while back. I kinda skipped over it as nothing, but it looks incredible!
Hi Magician 336,
Glad you liked it. I would say the shrinking card thing (shrinkage) is probably what I'm most proud of creativity wise! Certainly the most visual thing I've ever come up with. I think that is the thing about things in print, sometimes it is hard to visualise. There are a lot of different uses for the 'principle' actually which are on the DVD. You get a good look at it in the explanation. It does look like it shrinks in mid air (If I say so myself :)) Anyway, thanks again for the very kind comment.
Any word on the release date and if it will be sold by US dealers?

I like the card to pocket routine and look forward to picking it up.
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know the release date is May 4th. It will be shipped to US dealers on that day! Just ask you Fav dealer to pre-order it from Murphys!

Regards

Peter
If I know Mat, the material on here is going to be first class Stella stuff. I've seen him perform the shrinking card effects on a group of laymen and magicians, and the reaction is unlike anything I've seen for a long while.

I think we all have a lot to learn from Mat, his people skills and audience management subtleties are incredible. He's one of the few people who literally considers each moment, each touch and it comes across in his enthusiastic approach to performing in the real world.

Good luck with it Mat!
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 04:22, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know the release date is May 4th. It will be shipped to US dealers on that day! Just ask you Fav dealer to pre-order it from Murphys!

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Thank you for the information.
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 04:22, Peter Nardi wrote:
Just to let you know the release date is May 4th.[/quote]
Hey that's Starwars Day (May 4th be with you). :)

A great day to release some out of this world effects. I'm sure I will be over the moon when I get it. I guess I should just watch this space now?
[quote]
Bananafish wrote:
Hey that's Starwars Day (May 4th be with you). :)
[/quote]

I like that.. :) ..
I managed to jump in on one of the 15 special "vip releases"
should be through my door tomorrow............. :yippee:
:yippee:
Hi Matt Magician,
Hope you like it when you get it. Thanks for your support...really appreciate it.
Sorry,
Matt "Magicman", not magician...I've just got up! :)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (May 1, 2007 11:44AM)
Mine arrived this morning, will review when I can :)
Hi Guys,

Party Animal should be at your favourite magic dealers by next Monday!

Best Regards

Peter
Watched some of the DVD - Dowden is very good. Some great tricks and fun to watch him work. He has got to be a name to watch for the next few years.
One thing though - what is going on with his accent? Thought he was from Newcastle!
Had a quick whizz through at lunchtime today
man, this is a good dvd!
I just got back from a gig tonight and have been using "x marks the spot"
wow, this is such a good twist on the original plot!
I like the orignal idea, but never really performed it for some reason, but this, with matthews patter/presentation is ideal
you can serously get a lot of laughs out of this one, laymen really buy the whole concept, and see the fun side too.......
will watch it again tomorrow in full
thanks matthew, you have shared some great effects here
I like the format too, with the moves section etc.....
its good so it doesn't get in the way of the explanations if you know them, but if you need some pointers, all the info is there to learn, a very nice touch
anyway, a top dvd mate! :applause:
not your last I hope...........
Hi everyone. Just thought I would pop back to see what people had said. Thank you SO much for your positive reviews. It means the world to me that you like it. Thanks Matt for your kind words and I'm glad you are having fun with x marks the spot. Aaron, you flatter me with your prediction for the future, so thank you very much for that. You're right in that I am from Newcastle. I was born in the North East and now live here, but I went to school all over the place hence the weird accent! In fact, I have found that when talking over loud music I have even been told that I sound American, Irish or Australian. Not sure why! Don't think that was so apparent on the DVD but in some of the bars I have worked people always ask me where I'm from. Anyway, thanks again.
This dvd is great fun - with strong visual stuff. love the anniversary waltz - looking forward to performing this straight away.

well done mjdowden.

one question - did you end up having a drink with those 2 girls!?...
I regret to say that after filming all day we were all beat and myself and the Alakazam "crew" had a quick bite to eat and went home...or in my case back to my hotel! They did give me their number though so maybe I'll give them a buzz next time I'm down! :) Bet you liked michelle popping out of her top...people have been commenting on that! :)
Anyway, thanks for your kind comments Trickychris, I really appreciate that. Glad you enjoyed it.
Mj - who would you say your performance style takes after both on a magical and non magical front?
Hmmmm, well my heroes are David Williamson and Bill Malone, but I could never possibly compare myself to them performance wise as they are both geniuses. I have also been heavily influenced by Greg Wilson. Why do you ask?
When watching your dvd I saw many performers style in you - eddie izzard (non magic), simon lovell and greg wilson to name a few.
That's soooo weird...I have had someone say Eddie Izzard before and yet to be honest I am not a fan and haven't seen ANY of his stuff!! I do think he is a great actor though from the little bits I have seen him in such as Ocean's 12! Regarding Simon Lovell that is EVEN WEIRDER as I have literally NEVER seen any of his stuff...perhaps I should! Not only that but someone has told me that he had a tape out ages ago called "THE Party Animal!" The Greg Wilson thing I have to admit I have been influenced by. I have spent a lot of time with Greg (he was the one that got me my gig at the magic castle) and it was watching "On The Spot" and "Card Stunts" that inspired me to keep the magic fun and flirty...although I have to say I am a very flirty guy anyway...and dare I say, fun too!! :) Out of interest, if that was naming a few, who were the others? I am actually very interested to hear who it is! Buf if you say Julian Clary or Graham Norton I won't be too chuffed! :)
Oh, and if you are struggling to think of more people then feel free to say Dean Martin or James Bond...just a few suggestions...you know...only if you're struggling!! :)
I recommend you get hold of eddie izzards stuff - in particular GLORIOUS - which is without doubt the finest stand up video ever (in my eyes).

loved the x marks the spot presentation - very funny. will be using that at my next close gig.
I thought of another non magical influence if you're still interested. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Morcambe and Wise!! In fact, I think (not that I'm comparing me to them) that there is a hint of that coming through in X marks the spot! Just thought you might like to know!