(Close Window)
Topic: Do clothes affect reactions?
Ok, here we go. Do clothes have an affect on the reactions we recieve? I think they do. It seems that everytime I wear a black shirt at Red Robin, I get terrible reactions the whole *** night.

On another note, when I wear red shirts, the reactions I get are great! I'm not sure if this is in my head or what, but it's gotten to the point where something needs to be done about this. I am officially putting the shirt in my closet, and going out tomarrow to buy brightly colored shirts.

So, let the discussion begin. Do YOU think that the clothes we wear affect the reactions we recieve? I do.

Best,
Steve
Color is irrelevant, style and accessories are important. If you are a total fashion tragedy you will be laughed at, and felt sorry for by everyone. When I see a dork on the street I shake my head and say to my self "that is why black men laugh at us"
Al Angello
I think that color sometimes does play a part. People wear certain colors for certain reasons. Colors provoke feelings. Red is a power color. Blue is for calmness. Black is sorrow/despair.

And no, I'm not a fasion tradegy. I can dress quite nice, and not look like a dork. :)

Best,
Steve
Al, color is absolutely important! There is a whole science of color in advertising and color.

They don't say "clothes make the man" for nothing...
I have a closet full of costumes, with every color of the rainbow represented. The only rule I follow religiously is my wife picks out my outfit that means 40 shirts, 20 suspenders, and 100 ties. A politition wants to be loved when he speaks, and I want to be a knockout. How could a man in a red zuit suit disagree with me? If you think color is that important remember James Brown changed his costume three times at his funeral.
Al Angello
Thanks for the replies Al and John. But, not to get derailed from the topic. Do you think that the clothes we wear affect the reactions we get? If so, why? mood? performance style? setting?

Best,
Steve
Steve
It is the way you cary yourself, the way you lookem in the eye, or speak with authority. We all know Whit Haydn, do you remember the color of his suit, his ability to spin a yarn, his powerful persona, the way he makes you hang on his every word? It is his stage presence that makes him an unforgetable magician, not his jacket, shirt, and tie combo.
Al
Respectfully (because I agree with everything Al is saying - I just want to take it a step further) -

How you present yourself IS the key issue. But one of the things people see is your clothing, and if your clothes aren't supporting YOU, they can in fact get in your way.

I don't think there are absolute rules on color so much as a need to look your best - now, if your best is all black, then that'll work for you (worked for Johnny Cash)...but if it doesn't, you'll look less - well - attractive and/or interesting; you can make up for some of that with presence, but not all.

There's also the old "contrast with your background" axiom - if you're going to be in a dark room w/o specialized lighting, the darker the color, the more you will "fade"...but I still think the key issue is dressing in what YOU will look best in.

(like those two lookers, Al and John!)
-amanda
Step 11 in the 12 Step Program is costuming. A costume is a representation of the persona/character you are portraying. An audience should know everything they need to know about you from the moment they see you - a big part (not all) is costuming. The audience knows what BDC is all about before he even speaks a word.

As to whether it reflects how audiences react... absolutely. People reacte to colors, and it is important to understand how and why. It is not an accident that BDC wears red - it communicates passion, agression, and energy. But the yellow in the shirt communicates light hearted fun. The black vest and pants are specifically styled to communicate the mob styles of the 1940s. The pattern in the tie is a combination of all of the colors with a touch of royal purple - to show who's in charge. These elements are reflections of the character I portray and the audience reacts appropriately.

Clothes do influence the audience...
Big Daddy baby
We both agree that your costume is the image you present to your audience, but the question is about color, which is just a small part of overall image.
Al Angello
It's called style, and there is no right, and wrong wont always be wrong. Of course people react to your clothes. What you wear makes a statement, and it's the first statement they get from you. The way you look, is your very first communication with your audience, what could concievably more important than that? Ok, lot's of things, but it's very important. With what you wear, you support your character, your theme, you support the "who". The thing is, what is right and what is wrong will be dictated by a number of factors, thus each particular outfit might be right for one person, at one time, in one place, where as if any of those changed, it might be wrong. How do you know in advance? Ask your wife, try outfits in different public venues when not performing, have a great sense of style, be psychic...I don't know. What I recomend, is decide what statement you want to make with your attire, and make it as powerfuly as you can. Certainly get opinions from those who's fasion values you respect, and of course, there's good old trial and error.

I wish you all the best of luck with what should be a crucial part of your performance.
Color is important and only one factor.
A grayscale painting is not going to put me in the same mood as a brightly colored one.

The Jack Scratch and Big Daddy characters use very different styles and colors that I'm sure fit their era and venues.

I would say that an all black outfit would set one mood where a brightly colored tie, black shirt and light colored pants will set a different mood. Depends on the venue.

I can see a red shirt as more befitting in a place called "Red Robin".
Now that is the opinion of an expert.
Al
Dynamo's dress has caused some comment from other magicians. Looks natural in the venues where he performs though. Really suits his character. Extraordinary magician, nice fellow too.
One of my greatest fears is being asked to do Victorian, only to arrive at a non Victorian event.
Even in 'real life' it's important. I only do magic for friends, but they know if I show up in a hat instead of a cap, they're going to see some magic. The hats vary, and so do the shirts and suspender colors, but when I'm 'in costume' it raises their expectations. It encourages them to see me as a magician rather than just as their friend. It also makes a difference to me, because it makes me feel like a magician.
Airship
I think you've got it, you do magic for your friends, and alter your look to become the magician. One thing that has always amazed me is that attractive women feel comfortable talking to a strange man who is wearing a shirt tie, suspenders, and dress pants. When I'm in costume they think I'm harmless.
Al Angello
[quote]
On 2007-05-02 22:32, Al Angello wrote:
When I'm in costume they think I'm harmless.
[/quote]

Hmm...it must be the alcohol. :lol:

Anyways, I completely agree about showing up in costume. Even when I'm with friends, I get a certain respect when I'm dressed to perform. It kinda puts me in my 'zone'.

Best,
Steve
I change twice during my 45 min stage show

I wear Black silk shirt under Red Dress Jacket-I think colour definetly affects reaction as if you look good-

You look Professional & the audience realises that

It must fit your persona of your act as well
When you arrive at a show everyone should be able to tell that you are the magician, or somebody in important, by the way you dress. The outfits that you wear should be different, as in different from the way you dress everyday. I would never wear my stage outfit anywhere but at a show. Close up performers really have a choice, dressing nice-a nice shirt and nice pants. But close up performers should not wear jeans because then you would look like everybody else, unless you are at a corporate event, lol. I think colors matter because if you are in black you kind of blend in a little, but red makes you stand out a little -making you easier to notice. (Steve that is probably why you get a better reaction when you wear a red shirt).

I also agree with Brent- the way you dress has to fit the persona of you act
The way you dress can definately affect the way the audience reacts to you.
For my non ren faire shows, I wear a black utility kilt with a fitted vest and sleeveless shirt.
There is no mistake- I am not one of the normal people walking around. Immediately, something different is expected of me. People start talking about "that guy in the skirt". Add that to my partner Sylver in her cabaret outfits, and a lot of anticipation is created just from us walking in.
When we finally get to the stage, people are ready for us to do something. They aren't sure exactly what, but they are ready for something. It helps people to relate to us as well. By standing out from the crowd, we are immediately recognisable when we hit the stage. Because they recgonise us, they already feel on some level that they know us, even if we havent spoken to them.
The costuming also can make us more approacable. It gives folks something to ask questions about insetead of starting up a conversation cold.
So...Always dress apart from everyone else, dress to match your stage personae, and if you wear a kilt, be prepared for questions as to your choice of undergarments.
The answer- They can find out after the show, but it will cost extra. Especially to you sir.

Just a couple of costuming pics for the curious-
My "Uniform" on stage before performing a blockhead routine with a bracelet glowstick
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/gsidhe/Knotty%20Bits/Sideshow%20Spectrum%20Theatre%20Benefit%20Auction/IMG_7670.jpg
One of Sylver's cabaret costumes while standing on my head in the bed of glass
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/gsidhe/Knotty%20Bits/Sideshow%20Spectrum%20Theatre%20Benefit%20Auction/IMG_7606.jpg

Gwyd
Random question from an audience member:"Gwyd...Why do you wear a kilt?"
Me: FREEEEEDOM!!!
Style - just style. Different for everyone and it will affect reactions. You have it right when people spot you in a parking lot as "the Magician" when they haven't seen you before. I remember when I started years ago with a company asking about their dress code. The HR was a little nervious and told me that "pants are optional" Not being able to pass up a good line I replied "if it's all the same to you I would prefer wearing pants" When I ran into the Exec a few years on she still couldn't help blushing when she saw me.
John
Hi,

Yes clothes affect our magic and the meaning of our magic. Every detail is important. You can be elegant or not.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Yes, I think definatelly clothes affect your magic, but is not so much the color itself, is the color combined with the style and what you are trying to tell to your audience, for example, I often do magic on clubs and discos, so, I dress fashion-like, nice dressing shirt, good pair of jeans and go with classy, cool, yet fun effects, if i´m in school or just hanging around with friends, I prefer casual t-shirt and relaxed clothes, and I try to transmit that in my magic, other thing is that dark colors and patterns are good to hide some stuff like I-T-R and stuff
Antonio
Welcome to the magic Café. Even if you are casually dressed there must always be something about you that says you the magician. One time my wife, and I were at the airport, we say a woman that was built, and dressed just like my wife, who walked over to us, and told my wife how good she looked.