(Close Window)
Topic: Micro Outhouse
When I saw that the Outhouse was being reproduced in Wolf's micro series, I just couldn't resist ordering one! Even though I own the original, the smaller size will be more practical for birthday parties and parlour shows (even for close-up?) The Outhouse is my FAVOURITE Wolf prop, and I have most of 'em. Well, now I have both Outhouses in front of me. The micro version is just so CUTE! It fits snugly in the palm of the hand, with easy one-handed operation, and the mechanics are simplicity itself. The plot, based on "Chattering Teeth", is one of the most brilliant re-workings of an effect I've ever seen. Terry Seabrooke's original idea makes so much more "sense", when the teeth chomp at toilet paper instead of a newspaper - as well as being considerably more funny!
On a practical level, the Micro Outhouse is very workable. The original version, though quite, quite brilliant, was very large, quite heavy, and because it's also a stunning work of art, I've used it only for "special" shows. Now I can take my micro version anywhere.
OK, the actual quality - well, the first thing I noticed when I collected my parcel, was how SMALL and LIGHT it was. Has Chance sent me an empty box, I wondered? When I opened it up I realised how tiny it is - just 175mm tall. It looks every bit as cartoon-like as it's big daddy, and works perfectly, with a great "clacking" noise (the teeth chomping), and a cool cloud of confetti pouring from the roof. Attention to detail is all you'd expect from Wolf's Magic. There's something about this version that appeals, and honestly, the prop is one of the most unusual "magic" props ever made.
I just love this trick! Now I'll be including it with my Birthday shows for older kids. This is one hugely original effect, and plays great for everyone. From my experience performing this, I know that adults and older kids find it hilarious. Younger kids also enjoy the effect in a family show, though I wouldn't perform it for a group of five-year olds.
Here's a chance to put some "toilet humour" into your show without causing any offence whatsoever. Buy this before it sells out - who knows if and when Chance will ever make any more?

It should play fine to a group of up to about 20, maybe 30, but that's about the limit I would guess. The original is huge, and would play in a theatre!
I am new to this forum - what is the effect please?

Vijay
It's called "The Outhouse" and was made by Wolf's Magic. It is now sold out and no longer in production. Here is a link for the original.

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/the%20Outhouse.htm

You can, however, get the "micro" version.

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Wacky_Wolf_Micro_Magic_Series2.htm

Mark.
I'll have to order my Wolf's Magic Micro Series #2 soon...Series #1 is on the way.

Steve
I just got it! WOW! Its beatiful. I actually wanted to buy the big one, but since I came too late, wasn't able to. When I saw he's remaking it as Micro version, I just had to have it!

Just one Question:

Isn't it possible to "block" the black lever in the back? Its almost too loud for my taste, and I think the confetti would fly higher as well...?
My Micro Outhouse came in 2 weeks ago, and it's in the display case, right across from my full-size Outhouse. Wonderful items. I may take it while ballooning tonight, and see if I could work it into a table sometime during the night for one of my regular customers (they always come back to see some new magic) and see!

On the subject...about the clacker sound, it is loud if you're just running through the routine, but once you get some people around, with the sound of their reactions, it won't be deafening. The clacking is a major part of the effect, as well. Grandpa couldn't do it without the noise, ya know.

Steve
I this really suitable in size for a parlour birthday show? I might consider it as I like Wolf's stuff and am interested in a Chattering Teeth effect. But I'm a little concerned it is so little . . . The full-sized one is four times as tall, but I expect it is hopelessly expensive on e-bay. How much was the original price on the full-sized when it was being sold retail? Anyone know? Thanks.
$1,700.00... I believe... and worth every penny and then some!
I don't actually think I've ever seen one for sale on ebay...I might've missed it, but I doubt it. If it did sell, it would probably go for somewhere over the two thousand dollar mark, I'm sure.

Steve
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jul 12, 2007 12:08AM)
If someone has an Outhouse they'd like to sell then please keep me in mind. I have the mini and would love the big brother. I would like to write a magical poiem that tells the tale of grandpa...rhyming potty patter...I love it!
I've considered selling mine, but our Café brother Clownboy told me that if I did, he'd beat me to death with a balloon.

Steve
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jul 12, 2007 11:54PM)
Come on Steve..you can't tell me that you're really scared of clowns! LOL

I'm you guy!
My daughter has a shirt that says (white writing on black shirt) "Can't sleep clowns will eat me" over and over and over with the size of the print decreasing with each sentence...

Understand?

Steve
One thing concerning the clacker is that if you tape it off to the side it allows the confetti to fly higher. It is a matter of preference.
[quote]
On 2007-05-02 16:27, amazingvijay wrote:
I am new to this forum - what is the effect please?

Vijay

[/quote]
Vijay,
This wolf items seem big and heavy to carry to parties? Anyone have this items to comment?
This is a discussion for the Micro Outhouse which is a functional miniature of the original Outhouse. It weighs less than a pound but it big enough to play for 20-30 people.
Here doing "potty humor" is looked at as barbaric to say least. It is an item I would be highly embarrassed of to even to audience display much less use. It is, how you say: hillbilly white trash magic
To insult the routine and the prop without knowing anything about it is rude!
Steve, I will hunt you down and skin you like Road Kill if you sell that Outhouse!

Regards,
'Crazed Clown'
"Here doing "potty humor" is looked at as barbaric to say least. It is an item I would be highly embarrassed of to even to audience display much less use. It is, how you say: hillbilly white trash magic"

hillbilly white trash magic??!!
I guess bagging on American humor/social class is perfectly acceptable but God forbid we make a joke about the doody house in Paris.
Man, you guys need to lighten up...maybe you will smile more often.

Chance Wolf
Creator of the OUTHOUSE and *** proud of it even if I never get a gig in Europe :)
Louis.......please go back to sleep.
[quote]
On 2007-09-22 11:07, MoonRazor wrote:
Louis.......please go back to sleep.
[/quote]
I think you are asleep. I am simply stating my opinion. Perhaps I come off rude? I perhaps have a strange sense of humor but am trying to provoke conversation here. Is it not condemned in America by children entertainers to do potty humor? Is it not deemed hillbilly white trash? Everyone crucifies Silly Billy for diaper on head, but an outhouse, an icon of lower classes in American "back woods" is deemed ok?
If you cannot handle a critique then why be on a forum? I can take you say I'm rude, and I do not care. It was said on other thread "egg shells", what a silly place if you have to walk on these! Perhaps the vendors are simply looking for supporters and want to sell, instead of looking at what they make as contributing, or not, to an artform. I have good sense of humor, and know there are many more jokes to make that have none to do with outhouse. I like Chance other tricks, very good taste I think! Funny! But not this, this is my opinion. It should be respected as much as your own or this is NOT a true forum.
Mfreno, I did look at Chance site and see "prop" and read about it when it was normal size. I guess you think that somehow everyone must like it or they are not correct? Ignorant!
Mr. Chance, I do smile a lot. And know my clients would not smile if I presented this. Just because you make it does not mean everyone must like it. I suspect even those you would call hillbilly do not want to be called such and would take offense if you presented this as insulting their intelligence? Even the poorest of the world have more dignity than many of the wealthy.
Hello...I live in Mississippi, and I know people who probably still have one of these (no longer in use, hopefully) in their backyards or on their land. These people do not take offense to the appearance or use of this prop at all. I have both the larger and the micro, and have used both in all sorts of venues with all different types of audiences. Some of the areas in the Mississippi delta don't have indoor plumbing or running water inside, and they would still laugh at the sight of an outhouse, especially if it's used in a comedic routine with magic.

No homeless person ever took offense to Red Skelton's hobo character, did they? No country people ever took offense to the television show "Hee Haw", did they?

Steve Thomas
I would bet Louis may not be familiar with these characters, Steve. It may simply be a difference in culture, here.
It just sounds like Louis' act doesn't suit an effect like The Outhouse. It's a bit daft to call it "hillbilly" though, do you really know what that means, Louis? The original prop as I said above, is large and heavy, though HIGHLY appealing visually, frankly the most beautiful magic prop I've ever seen. Forget "hillbilly" and think "Tom and Jerry". The routine is funny, and utterly non-offensive (unless you choose to make it so). The Micro prop is very cute and portable, though really I've found I use it mostly for small groups of about 15-20. Plays great for ages 7+, as it's a card trick. the original Outhouse is truly a work of art, and no pictures will ever really do it justice.
Here's a little poem (not mine) which fits the Outhouse plot perfectly:
There once was a man from Blackheath
On the toilet he left his false teeth
He went to the loo
But before he could poo...
He had bitten himself underneath!

I had a US version too, but I fgorget what it was....
:) Potty
HA HA HA! LMAO!!

Good one Potty!

Brad
Hey, does anyone know if the Micro Outhouse is fully functional to its larger version?

I mean, Steve promised to sell me his when he decides he finished with it. But that may be a very Loooonnnnggg wait! I may just have to settle for the Micro Version for now.

Brad
It's esxactly the same as the larger version, except not quite as beautifully handmade - the wooden panels all over the prop are painted on the Micro, but are actually funkily cut strips of wood on the original. also, the original has a modern toilet bowl which flushes, whereas the Micro version has an old fashioned flat wooden seat with a hole in it. Otherwise, they're the same for performance purposes.