(Close Window)
Topic: Converter?
Has anybody got the lowdown of 'Converter'?
There is the blurb and a video demo on hocus pocus. It was on the 2nd page of new products last time I looked.

Cheers
I think this is a neat little gimmick. It's well-made and works great. You can add it to a regular deck of cards and perform an amazing tunnel or card warp effect. (See Hocus Pocus videos.)

I got a red Bicycle gaff, but I assume it comes in blue, as well. Recommended.

Robert
I got mine today and all I can say is my jaw hit the floor when I did it for the first time. I mean it is so practical, the gimmick is made beutifully and I can see my self getting another one right now, just in case I lose this one. I have to say, and this is a bold statement for me "This is going into my routine right away" One of, if not the best buys for me this year. My wife even was fooled, and that is saying alot. When you pull the face up card out after showing the tunnel effect, is very disarming. A definate buy for this year fellas. Hocus Pocus had it to me within 5 days, amazing considering that I am in Canada. Really guys get this now before this gem is sold out. Someone said it could be the next WOW, and I agree.
Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
Nice review Jeremy. Thanks for that. What happens if you push your WOW through the converter :)
Received mine two days ago and I love it, just so easy to do, and the gimmick is sooo brilliantly constructed and covert. I really cannot see how anyone can get caught with this gimmick, very elusive, considering the "Converter" is made out of real Bicycle cards. Without a doubt, this "WILL" be one of my favorite's to perform. This is one of them ingenious card gimmicks that come around once in a blue moon. Simply put; "AWESOME"!!! Highly recommended for anyone, whether you love cards or not, this is a must have, very visual and amazing effect.

Paul
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 06:17, Piz wrote:
Received mine two days ago and I love it, just so easy to do, and the gimmick is sooo brilliantly constructed and covert. I really cannot see how anyone can get caught with this gimmick, very elusive, considering the "Converter" is made out of real Bicycle cards. Without a doubt, this "WILL" be one of my favorite's to perform. This is one of them ingenious card gimmicks that come around once in a blue moon. Simply put; "AWESOME"!!! Highly recommended for anyone, whether you love cards or not, this is a must have, very visual and amazing effect.

Well said!!!
Paul
[/quote]
What is the difficulty level? are there any sleights such as DL? I am not too keen on those. Thanks.
One DL, that's as hard as it gets.

Paul
Thanks Paul,
Any good books, dvds or other source to learn the DL?
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 11:31, samdan wrote:
Thanks Paul,
Any good books, dvds or other source to learn the DL?
[/quote]
pm me and I will sent you in the right direction, just to clear something up first, do you know what a dl is?

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 10:47, samdan wrote:
What is the difficulty level? are there any sleights such as DL? I am not too keen on those. Thanks.
[/quote]

Uber easy.
Heh. You said uber. That made me smile. I don't feel like the only loser anymore.

Anyways, thanks for the review, Jeremy. Because you know, I really need to spend even more money....

-Dustin
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 11:50, Amade3us wrote:
Heh. You said uber. That made me smile. I don't feel like the only loser anymore.

Anyways, thanks for the review, Jeremy. Because you know, I really need to spend even more money....

-Dustin
[/quote]

Get it, you will love it. To be honest, if I had to choose between Converter or WOW for a first impression, I would choose this. For me at-least, WOW screams gimmick to many hecklers, and non-hecklers alike. Many times after performing WOW I have been asked to hand it over, or have received comments like "what a cool devise, where'd ya get it". Converter is amazingly visual, uses a very covert gimmick (no one to bust you out), and I can almost guarantee you that no one will ever ask if they can see the deck (as you can do FS before the trick begins, they see it is a normal deck). This is just simply an incredible effect, looks totally impromptu, clean, and obviously impossible.

Paul
Gah----For the record, you guys suck. I might have been able to keep from making the purchase until your last post, Paul. This just looks soooo good. I never had a bit of interest in WOW for the reasons you stated, but this thing really sounds as perfect as it gets.

Thanks...I guess. :)

-Dustin
Glad you ended up liking the effect Piz. I didn't hear back from you :)

Converter is a fabulous effect. The gimmick is well built, and works fabulously. Definately recommended.!
This Looks like a winner.

But why are you guys comparing this with WOW ??

We are talking about visual change against under cover. both are totally diffrent effects. I guess WOW is under cover but you can see the full(?) face of card during the change.

I like WOW and I like the looks of converter as well.

I've seen a similar change before where the card is pushed throuht a sandwich of two cards intead of full deck. I don't know how this gaff is diffrent to other becouse the effect looks VERY similar.
I compare converter with wow because they are both clever gimmicks with very visual outcomes. And Converter is resonably priced. I always thought WOW was priced a little on the high side even though it's a classic effect.

I just received my converter and it looks like a winner.
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 14:17, Mehtas wrote:

I've seen a similar change before where the card is pushed throuht a sandwich of two cards intead of full deck. I don't know how this gaff is diffrent to other becouse the effect looks VERY similar.
[/quote]

The similar effect is called "Push Thru 2" by Tim Star. Personally, I prefer the "Converter".

Robert
[quote]
On 2007-05-18 16:09, Robert M wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-05-17 14:17, Mehtas wrote:

[/quote]

The similar effect is called "Push Thru 2" by Tim Star. Personally, I prefer the "Converter".

Robert
[/quote]

BTW thanks man for pointing this out to me and endorsing it.
The more I play with this the more I like it. I've impressed with how smooth the gimmick operates. It's not fussy at all. When the card is shown half and half, then goes to full spectators signed card is smooth as silk. This is a great effect.

Thanks Runawayjag for recommending this one.
Best new gimmick I have seen in a long time, I think we sold half a dozen yesterday at the store. We recieved 18 units about a week and a half ago have only seven left. - for our store that is a big seller.

I liked WOW also, but looks like a prop in my opinion, compared to Converter.

Easy to do, depending on how you decide to control the card, I have watched a few different routines, one where spectator gets a free choice of card, one where a card is forced and one where a blank face is introduced and signed ( a regular card is forced and then converted back into the blank signed card )

All in all - a great trick - we even had a vetran magician who normally doesn't buy new tricks - purchase this one yesterday. - that to me was high praise.

Phil
When I watched the demo, I wanted it....Now I really will order converter... :)..
I prefer Converter over Wow too and at over half the price. Both are great though, but putting the card back inside the deck is much nicer then putting it into a strange looking card holder.

But the comparisons are obvious because both effects are extremely visual and requires basic cards sleights.
I just watched one of the guys that work here demo it and had the gimmick bckwrds, the people were still blown away.

Phil
Do you have to specify which color you want or does it only come in blue back?

[i]ps) I've already ordered one, but I'm just hoping it's red.[/i]

Rick
We have had two different lots come into Kind of Magic (shameless plug) so far and both times they were all red back.

Phil
Hello,

The gimmick is only available in red back Bicycle.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (May 20, 2007 10:36PM)
I must have this, this is very visual. I was going to hold out too but the reviews on this are great. I own WOW and although it is a great device, I like the idea of keeping it simple with very little pocket space being occupied. This can be left on top of deck inside the card case with no issues or destroying concerns correct ?

Donkeys and Waffles
I've been playing with a gimmick called "Switcher" that accomplishes almost the same effect. Is anyone out there familiar with both of these? Would they mind describing the salient differences?

thanks, Doug
Can anyone give me an idea how you think the gimmick would stand up to say 4 routines per hour for 4 hours times 8 days?

Could it stand up to this kind of use?

Regards
This does look good, and very visual, but is it really worth the money? I have been using my own method for doing a very similar effect, but if this is better then I'd pick it up. Could someone list the pros and cons of this?
Would it stand up ?

so far it seems fairly durable.

We have demonstrated it probably 80 times already and the gimmick shows ZERO signs of wear, now I can see how it may be a problem taking it to a new deck after this many uses as the edges have that old deck discolouration on the edge that will stand out if I take it to a brand new deck.
I think the only problem would be the discolouration that sailorphil pointed out after many many uses. Also, after seeing how the gimmick works, you should have no problem making your own with a little prescission. By no means am I recommending making your own (I believe you would be violating some laws, not sure), but there will be those who will take it upon themselves and do just that. If anything ever happened to my Converter, I will be first in line to support the creator and buy another one, I am actually thinking about ordering 2 or 3 more right now before they sell out.

Paul
Looks like I'll be picking this up if it's as good and workable as everyones saying.
Y2John: NO!! This trick is horrible, do not get it, I am ashamed at myself for just ordering 2 more, you will be very disappointed!! lol!! JK!! I hope you have as much fun with your "Converter" as I have had with mine!!

Take care

Paul
This is funny!! The greatest "Gimmicked" card effect to come along in years and ain't nobody posted yet!! Wonder Why?? HHHMMMMM!! I just spoke with Mr.UMMM from somewhere and from what I understand, every single "Converter" has sold-out nation wide!! Great news!! This effect deserves all the excitement and credibility it deserves, excellent effect and a must have!!!!!

Paul
[quote]
On 2007-05-21 12:39, SeaDawg wrote:
Can anyone give me an idea how you think the gimmick would stand up to say 4 routines per hour for 4 hours times 8 days?

Could it stand up to this kind of use?

Regards
[/quote]

We've been using on constant demo in our magic shop and I'm noticing no difference in the gimmick. It will wear like a normal deck of cards would.
[quote]
On 2007-05-20 17:32, Paul Gross wrote:
Hello,

The gimmick is only available in red back Bicycle.

[/quote]

You could easily convert the gimmick to blue as it is a very thin gimmick and attaching a blue backed card to it wouldn't be noticed much. In fact by the way it is gimmicked if you did this blue addition you would actually have a gimmick that could be used with either a red or blue deck so you could do it with a borrowed deck.
I am still waiting for mine, will give a review once I received it
We now have blue and red... so you can choose which colour you want. Originally I had only thought they came in RED. I was wrong - good news for Blue deck people!
I just got mine yesterday and when I took it out of the envelope I just started laughing outloud. I mean, Why the heck can't I come up with stuff this simple? This thing is just awesome. The gimmick is well built and it performs like a dream. I was practicing with it in the mirror and this is one of those effects that you just watch yourself do and smile.

Highly recommended!! Just great!!

Tim
I'v been trying to avoid buying gimmick tricks, but it looks like you guys have talked me into adding this to my wish list.
[quote]
On 2007-05-21 13:01, sailorphil wrote:
Would it stand up ?

so far it seems fairly durable.

We have demonstrated it probably 80 times already and the gimmick shows ZERO signs of wear, now I can see how it may be a problem taking it to a new deck after this many uses as the edges have that old deck discolouration on the edge that will stand out if I take it to a brand new deck.

[/quote]

Keep in mind that ALL gimmicks will wear like this, especially card gimmicks, so this issue is no different than the same issue you would have with any other card gimmick.
For those who care here is my take on Converter.

Shades of Don England.

In 2001, in his book Paradox, Don England writes up a nice routine entitled D-Warp (p.119) in which a selected card is pushed through a deck of cards crossways and when it emerges from the other side, it can be seen to reverse as it emerges from the otherside. It involves a simple gaff to make. Great idea and what a different way of thinking about the Card Warp plot. Highly recommended book for those who like to sneak in gaffs from time to time too.

Fast forward to 2007.
I was playing around on one of those magic shop sites and this kind of struck my fancy so to speak. I decided to take the plunge. I love warping routines (as I have stated in previous posts here at the MC) and with Converter, you can achieve a nice clean Warp of a playing card ala D-Warp but you can achieve a few more types of changes also.

What you get:

The gaff (I understand also that the gaff is only available in Bicycle red-back at the moment.) and clearly written and illustrated instructions on how to perform the effect. The written instruction sheet also provides a website and password information to access explanation videos to aid the learning process (note: the videos are in japanese but have written English subtitles. They are NOT hard to follow at all.)

What kind of sleight of hand is involved? If you can do a double lift and double under cut, you can do this effect. However, if you want to hand the deck out at the end, keep in mind that you will need to cop out or side steal the gimmick. You can leave the gimmick in the deck and do a few more routines if you so choose.

What I like about the effect and gaff is that you can hold on to either side of the warping card to push or pull it throught the deck. Talk about clean.

Recommended by a true collector of warping routines.

Alton
I understand that it actually is avaliable in both red AND BLUE now.
[quote]
On 2007-06-09 17:36, gdw wrote:
I understand that it actually is avaliable in both red AND BLUE now.

[/quote]

This is good to know. I haven't seen any mention of this in any ads. I will pick up one in blue also. I believe I love the stretching card that this allows for better than the warping.

Alton
I ordered this from HP last week. Based on this post I cant wait to get it.
Could another one be made if it were to break or from wear, Would it be simple to make?
I decided to try my hand at learning to use Windows Movie Maker and decided to use Converter since there were a ton of regular Card Warp vid's out there. I was going for a old grainy look. The handling was a little sloppy but anyway, here is what it looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIaa9l5hebw

AT