(Close Window)
Topic: Goshman Balls quality ?
Just a quick question. I recently purchased sponge balls in a magic shop I was assured were by Gosh. I have been away from my Magic for awhile so they may have changed. When I dug out my old set from storage they were as I remembered darker and with more compressibility. When I check out a gosh description online I get "This set is made of hard foam, easy to control."
Part one: has Gosh changed their balls?
Part two: is it for the better? and were can I get the old "quality" balls?
John
John..not sure if this is any help and there are more people that know a lot more about sponges, but I think they make a regular and super soft sponge ball.
That's correct. There were two densities of foam. But the Goshman regular balls were never so stiff as to be difficult to work with. As far as the darkness of the color, it varies from lot to lot.
Check out Empire sponge balls, I picked up a set at the Lance Burton magic shop
in Las Vegas. These are very good quality,look great and wear well.
Chances are they are made by Goshman for Empire.
I believe some time back Goshman did change the material that their balls were made from because the government outlawed the existing foam rubber chemicals. So if you have some really old sponge balls they will be made from something different. But of course there are regular and super soft balls which are of different densities.

David Tower
That is not exactly what happened with polyfoam. The "government" did not "outlaw" the "existing foam rubber chemicals." Polyurethane foam [i]that is used for upholstery[/i] has to meet certain test standards that vary from state to state. We have to be specific as to which government "outlawed" which chemicals. Since the polyfoam used for sponge balls is not used for upholstery, it could very well still be used for sponge balls. The standards that are important are those of ignition and flammability. The Federal govermnent, specifically the FTC, felt that some of the labeling the Polyfoam Manufacturer's Association was putting on their products was misleading. So they made them change the way their labels were worded.

California has the strictest standards for polyfoam, so their standards are the ones that most manufacturers follow -- for upholstery. According to the Polyurethane Foam Association web site http://www.pfa.org/ the flexibility characteristics of the old foam vs the new foam is virtually unchanged.

The perceived stiffness may be due to age or due to the balls being of a different density.
If you got balls of hard foam, they may be the Multiplying Sponge Balls - not the best for a typical sponge ball routine. However, they will work great for a billiard routine.
That's very likely. They could be a set of the old Chicago multiplying sponge balls. I used to have a set of those.
I had some really old sponge balls from Goshman, they may've been from the Multiplying set from the late 80's early 90's.

I kept them in a ziploc baggy and they were turning to red powder, I threw 'em away.

johnny
All the sponge balls by Gosh I have purchased come with the little Gosh routine on the leaflet. Perhaps they also sell them without?
Did anyone try the feel of Japan's super soft sponge balls? You can see the pics here:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kyschun/balloon/supply.html
Speaking of flammability of Sponge Balls - in the early 1980's I tried the routine of Don Alan's where you wrap the sponges in flash paper and set them off with a cigarette. I had flaming sponge balls rolling around on my bed. True story.
Thanks, bdekolta, I'll make sure I don't set my sponges on fire with flash paper. I am not aware of that at all.
Doesn't Gosh make soft and supersoft sponge balls? I have the supersoft 2 inch blue ones and they compress to practically nothing, smaller than a marble to be exact.
[quote]
On 2007-08-25 19:10, Magikrn wrote:
Doesn't Gosh make soft and supersoft sponge balls?
[/quote]

Yes. The super soft began in the 80's.
Any idea what is the difference between the various super soft sponge balls in the market?
I have a simple question, does Goshman make regular density green sponge balls? All of the colored balls (other than red) I see for sale are always super soft. I really want a regular set of green.
I just saw a set of Super Soft Red Balls for sale that are made by TENYO and they're selling for $50 on the web! What the hell makes these things so darn good and beter than gosh that would make them so expensive? Anyone know????
Somebody must hand carry them to you from Tokyo?
[quote]
On 2007-08-27 01:31, lylemagic wrote:
I just saw a set of Super Soft Red Balls for sale that are made by TENYO and they're selling for $50 on the web! What the hell makes these things so darn good and beter than gosh that would make them so expensive? Anyone know????
[/quote]

They are even softer than the supersoft. Very compressible and it bounces back very fast. After more than 10 years they still work great for me.

I am also wondering why they are pricey!
Wow...I've found the best way to turn a Super Soft into something even softer is to just add water. That flufs em' up to almost twice their size...and that's free!
Although the supersofts double in size, the regulars do not.
Goshman also made 'deluxe' balls. I heard a rumor that they no longer make these, however.
They probably meant supersoft instead of deluxe. He still makes supersoft.
The tenyo ones in good condition after 20years would make them so pricey as they are no longer made.
I have a working set and a backup set and have never hads to use the back up set. They hold up very well over time and the goshman ones just don't feel the same or hold up as well in my experience. The Goshman ones are available and easy to find so that is a plus.
Mobius
The supersoft and deluxe are not the same.
Here are some of the differences:
1. The box that the deluxe come in has a round yellow sticker that says 'deluxe'.
2. The deluxe are not as compressible as the supersoft (but more compressible than the regular)
3. The color on the deluxe is brighter than both the regular and supersoft.
4. The shape of the deluxe is rounder than the supersoft and the regulars.

In my opinion the 'best' spongeball would be a 1.75" deluxe.
Folks,
Kindly, inquire with the poster above "japanmagic"; regarding the line of Japanese sponge balls that he sells; I have purchased two sets from him that are absolutely superb; the "pores" of the sponge are super fine, the "spring" is super fast which prevents the balls from flying off the specs hand when opening; the colors are intense and so far have not become "shop worn" like the Goshman sponges;

Prices are higher than Goshman's (imports from Japan), & the balls need to be initially rinsed with cold water to fluff away a squashed shape due to shipping, after that they are okay;
BWind
Thanks, BWind. I'll do that as I need to get some spares. I have worked with them before and, you are right, they are amazing to work with.