(Close Window)
Topic: Illusions that you still can't figure out
Message: Posted by: Magician of the century (May 12, 2007 12:02AM)
Many magicians are fooled by David Copperfield's Laser illusion, and it bothers them, but I really want to know how he does Test Conditions. He owns the rights to this, and it is frickin' amazing. I have no clue how he does it. So what illusions still fool you?
None, but that's not the point. I am entertained by some performers and their routines.
When Origami first came out, I was totally floored and in the dark. Yeah, yeah, everyone in my group all [b]guessed[/b] about the b***, and trust me, they were all guessing to what it had to be. But I couldn't accept that for an answer till I saw one in person, and I'm still shocked it's all about the b***. Genius design!

Rand Woodbury's Z-table also blew my mind. Thank God he printed it in his first book!
I don't work with large animals, so some of S&R's appearance cages still puzzle me. I think I know, as there are only one of two possibilities, but I don't [i]REALLY[/i] know! And Rick Thomas had a cool-looking folding crate trick that fooled me (maybe if I saw it again I could figure it out, but the first time caught me off guard).

On the flip side, I wonder if some tricks really fool people. I still can't understand how "Interlude" is even a trick...when I first saw it, I thought I must have missed something because I couldn't understand what the magic was supposed to be; I thought there was more to the trick. To this day, I really wonder if anyone even knows what the effect is supposed to be (without being told), let alone think it's magical.

A lot of levitations fool me. I never did a levitation beyond a Super-X, broom suspension, or chair suspension, so I appreciate being fooled by them.
Osmosis fooled me for a long time. I still think it's a highly under-utilised principle.
I forgot to mention...it's the mentalism bits that fool me and keep me fooled. Most are so freakin' clean and are done before you can turn your brain on! Way too many to list. I'm a full-time mentalist, and I am still floored often!

r1ch-oxford... Darn you and that evil red box in your picture! EVIL! lol
The one illusion that always got me and was so impressive to me was watching Hans Moretti perform "The Box". Those of you who have seen this illusion done and have witnessed it will know what I am talking about. It is just so well done. I always loved that illusion, and to this day, it still puzzles me. Great entertainment that I will always remember.

Kyle
Message: Posted by: Magician of the century (May 12, 2007 09:15PM)
Yeah, Osmosis is an amazing illusion. Does Jim Steinmeyer have the plans or the method published in any of his books?
It's funny someone mentions Test Conditions because, when DC came to San Diego, I got picked for that. (I actually pushed my girlfriend, rather violently, out of the way. Could you blame me?) I wasn't very interested in illusions at the time, but I sat 2 feet away from it, and I still have no idea how it works. It looks exactly as it is on YouTube!!!

I will tell you this:

When I looked away to talk with the assistant, she said, "David is going to pretend to have your wallet, pretend it's yours." I said OK, and sure enough, he "stole my wallet".

That taught me that DC takes control over every moment of his show. Nothing is left to chance.

Anyway:

Test Conditions
Osmosis
...and a ton more, I just don't know the names!

Josh London
Message: Posted by: Magician of the century (May 12, 2007 10:16PM)
Thanks for that, joshlondon17. David's a tricky one. I am sure his assistant took your wallet. I now know that Test Conditions was created by Gary Ouellet and was also known as the Millennium Cabinet.
Kyle,

I would have to agree with you about "The Box"! It is one of the most baffling illusions I have ever seen myself. I have no idea how he does it, and I think its simplicity is part of the reason!

Robert
DC's "Tides" always got me, and only recently did I figure that one out.

--Jack :pepsi:
Here, you can see the Moretti picture:

http://www.moretti.de/hans/pages/sensationen/schwerter.html
Thanks, Laci and Robert. I agree that maybe it is so baffling to me because of the simplicity of the illusion he does. It was one of the most amazing things I had seen when I first saw it. I remember forgetting I was a magician and going back to just being amazed and entertained all over again.

Kyle
I love DC's Voyeur vanish of the girls on top of the "see through table". That's the best vanish I have seen for years. And so fast! I am sure he does it differently live (which I haven't seen), and if he doesn't use editing and/or Chroma Key in the TV special, it is very impressive. Even though I have an idea of possible methods (where else can they go...?), it still baffles me. It's kind of like the Pendragons' Sub Trunk without the change. Very well done, David.
Unfortunately, he doesn't perform the greatest illusions anymore.
If Laser, Voyeur, and Test Condition would still be in his show, it would be much, much better in my opinion. Also, Webster, as well as his Squeezebox, can slowly retire... I think it is due to the fact that they are hard to perform live using a different method as in the special and achieve the same climax.
A lot of Paul Daniels' illusions from his TV show: the Vanishing TV Camera, Crawling Thru a Wall of Coffee Mugs, and more. The oldies are the goodies, I guess.
First, I second Hans Moretti.
I love that so much, I DON'T want to know how it's done. I'd honestly rather remain in the dark about that one. So awesome...

Secondly, as far as Copperfield is concerned, I've always been baffled by his appearance on the sheet of steel (where the guys are holding it up, the cloth is lowered, and he just BAM appears!).
Gets me every time.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a fooled and happy idiot.
Message: Posted by: amazingcarrington (May 15, 2007 12:00AM)
The Square Circle production.....OK....just kidding.
The Moretti Box is super. I'm throwing in with Aaron on DC's "One" opening appearance from Tornado of Fire, it's sublime. And I agree with Silvio - the Voyeur vanish and "gradual" reappearance of the *two* girls is superlative, perhaps the best around. I think his Motorcycle to Girls still baffles many people, as does the full working behind the Portal sequence. I also liked the Lottery routine when I saw it.
Penn and Teller's Bullet Catch. I have a couple theories, but it still kills me dead.
David's Portal still gets me. I was just about on top of him in the balcony and still clueless. Sure, I have some ideas, but I really don't want to know for sure. And really, the same goes for his Orient Express, Liberty, and Jet Vanish.
Most of Copperfield's Illusions, I have figured out, including Laser Illusion (I am pretty sure I did). But the large scales, like the Liberty and Jet Vanish, got me.
[quote]
On 2007-05-12 22:15, Magician of the century wrote:
Yeah, Osmosis is an amazing illusion. Does Jim Steinmeyer have the plans or the method published in any of his books?
[/quote]

Look into his website...
The simplicity of Hans Moretti's box tops them all!
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a video of this Hans Moretti Box?

Thanks!
Josh London
Here is his son the young Moretti doing the same performance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iFJnhmHckJs&mode=related&search=

Here is one other different box presentation, but I'm sure you can figure out where the girl happens to be.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GSqHnToq62k&mode=related&search=
Okay, I neither speak nor read German, so on the Moretti site, what does "Auto-Blindfahrt" mean? ;)
Maybe "automatic release of gas in the blind?" or "automatic gas releasing blinds". ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Bill Palmer speaks German. Bill..?
Driving while blindfolded.
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 11:34, zaubern wrote:
Driving while blindfolded.
[/quote]

Thanks...that would have been the LAST thing I came up with! ;)
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (May 16, 2007 01:24PM)
I'd have to vote for Moretti's box, as well, and I probably would've forgotten it if it hadn't already been mentioned! Hans, Jr. has a great version, but it doesn't beat his dad. Hans, Sr. comes out with chickens, streamers, balloons, and what seems like a dozen umbrellas...and his box was thinner! Amazing, amazing stuff.

Silvio,
It's been a few years since I saw DC perform Voyeur live, but it was essentially the same. The only difference that I can [i]remember[/i] was that the reappearance wasn't as "gradual". Along with the others, I miss Cocoon... :hrmph:
Still cannot figure out lots of Cyril's magic like:
Saltshaker Through Glass
Card Through Fish Tank
Hamburger From Picture

I really love his effects.
Dr. Hooker's Rising Card under the glass dome, that still gets me. Never seen it performed, but I've read about it.
Maybe I should have mentioned that's what it translated to, I wasn't mentioning an effect. :P
I'd have to vote for Moretti's box. I had never seen it before today till I went to YouTube... Wow, what an effect. I couldn't even fit in the box...lol.
Help! I've searched YouTube, but I can't find Moretti's sword box. Anyone have a link?
Steve,

I think someone posted the link on the first page of this thread. Have a look there. I do recall someone posting the link after I mentioned that his Box illusion was one of the most baffling things I had ever seen in a long time.

Kyle
Many thanks, Kyle. The video on YouTube lacks any performer's name in the description, which is perhaps why I couldn't find it. Turns out to be Moretti, Junior. As someone said, not as good as his dad, but enjoyable nonetheless.
You are most welcome, my friend. It should still give you an idea of what the illusion is and how it was performed by his father. I still recall seeing that illusion, and to this day, it just baffles me. It was so creative and different.

Kyle
Yup, I've seen this one live, and it's utterly baffling. I was watching from the cheap seats, high up in "the gods", and could see Hans' shiny bald head peeping through the flaps on top of the box, proving he really was in there!

I should also vote for Moretti's crossbow illusion. It's insane.
Hans was a very creative thinker. He did things completely different and unique to his own style. I just really recall seeing him do the box, and then finding myself watching it over and over again. It is one of those illusions that brings me back to the time of amazement before I knew how 95% of things in magic are done. it brings me back to the wonderment of it all. My only hope and wish is that other magicians would think creatively with their own magic, and even with the stage illusions that they perform. Think and be creative, and push our artform in new directions.

Kyle
I saw Hans Moretti perform the Box live in the mid '80s. In my mind, it's still the ultimate illusion. Even when you know the principles behind it, it still seems impossible and dangerous.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (May 19, 2007 11:25AM)
I toss my vote in for the Moretti Box, too. Incredible for its simplicity.
I think it is the simplicity of it that really hits hard to the audience.

Kyle
Let's see...
Osmosis was bugging me for a while, as well as Origami. I really wish I hadn't read about the Million Dollar Principal before I saw it performed, because I would have peed my pants in amazement (I guess that means I like to pee my pants).
Lance Burton's chandelier appearance gets me. From the point of being out of sight on stage to appearing in the chandelier is thirteen seconds. That must be one fun ride.
Copperfield's "blueprint-box-gradual-disappearing-appearing-girl-girls" is also a puzzler. I understand it, but also don't.
I'm also for the Moretti Box. I even taped his performance on TV. I'm dumbfounded.

I still can't figure out a lot of illusions, they all amaze me. But Cyril Takayama is really something.
I don't want to tip anything special, but if you watch the Moretti movie (the link is elsewhere in this thread) you might see something if you keep replaying it. AND if you use a stopwatch and recreate the timing of things, you could uncover how perfectly executed his effect is. You can only do this by performing it many times, and in the process, eliminate anything that might get hung-up during performance. Hats off to Hans.

Sometimes it's better not to know, but if you must, PM me and I'll send you in the general direction, or you can let it remain a mystery forever and remember what it is to be mystified yourself.
Jay
Speaking of Moretti...if anyone has seen it, you should see their version of the Broom Suspension. The pole is made up of paper trees (yes, paper trees) that he cuts with scissors after the illusion is over. It's really quite impressive.
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 14:24, Michael J. Douglas wrote:
Silvio,
It's been a few years since I saw DC perform Voyeur live, but it was essentially the same. The only difference that I can [i]remember[/i] was that the reappearance wasn't as "gradual". Along with the others, I miss Cocoon... :hrmph:
[/quote]

I heard he uses...for the live vanish and rolls the bed out for the re-appearance... Any clue for the TV version, using the see through table, looking at audience in the back? I am familiar with most TV techniques (studied cinematographer) but this gets me. Anyone can PM me to discuss further...:)
On a separate note: Since the '80s, DC uses [i]mostly[/i] TDs in his specials. Like the stage with that b/w floor and lightbulb frame around he had for his Lear Jet special...remember? (One of my favourites, with the paintings of Patrick Nagel.)
That technique can be done even if you tour with your "stage". How come illusionists don't utilize this method anymore...?
Trapasso.....can anybody tell me how it is done??? Pleeeease...

Heh...heh...heh...

Cheers,
CC.
I am baffled by DC's "The Blade". Great visual illusion.

I also love the Pendragons' Metamorphosis because of the fact that I know how a sub trunk works, but they do it so fast.
[quote]
On 2007-05-18 10:25, Steve Knight wrote:
Help! I've searched YouTube, but I can't find Moretti's sword box. Anyone have a link?
[/quote]

I've uploaded this today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH-PFecys6Y
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (May 28, 2007 01:04PM)
Thanks Harry H!
Here's the newspaper tree suspension also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km1SwiLpLp8
Newspaper Trees!
that's Freak'n Creative!

Thanks Harry for posting these for us.
Larry
Ps. I am a subscriber of your youtube videos.
Thanks Harry!!
Both are great magic!
Wow - the newspaper trees are really creative!! A perfect Suspension - cool idea of starting only with newspaper in their hands and than cutting the trees.

I can second Alans words also for the suspension:
[quote]
I saw Hans Moretti perform the Box live in the mid '80s. In my mind, it's still the ultimate illusion. Even when you know the principles behind it, it still seems impossible and dangerous.
[/quote]
Copperfield's first appearing in Tornado's episode. He only use a sheet and a plate that pull up by his four assistant.

Bravo!
I agree with voodoo above.

But the one that STILL has me smiling like a school boy is the appearance of the car at the end of "Lotto Prediction".

I was floored.
Who did this, A magician had his belly cut, and a woman came out. I want to say it was Copperfield that did this, but not sure.

Another was shooting an arrow(signed) through someone, and hit a target.

A man in a masked put a magician in the box, then he opened the box, which the magician is gone, and then he takes off the mask and it is the magician.

These are some that I saw, that completely got me.
Morettis box, I am going to up all night long for that one.
Drkptrs1975, the last one you were talking about is called Backstage Illusion by a Corean Magician Lee (don't remember the last of the name). Really amazing.
Lee Eyon Gueol I think...?? He has a very nice baffling Vampire illusion too. He is a great and tallented magician!
FISM winner, yes. Lee Eun Gyeol
I am still fooled everytime I see Cyril's aquarium illusion.
I wish I could see the Moretti Crossbow illusion. I saw but very long time ago. Those people the luckiest who doesn't know the Sword Box illusion but even if you know still amazing.

And here is the Moretti Bullett Catch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-dAHbi2_b5U
Test Conditions is the best. I know how it works but still amazing deception.
[quote]
On 2007-06-24 23:14, laci200 wrote:
I wish I could see the Moretti Crossbow illusion. I saw but very long time ago. Those people the luckiest who doesn't know the Sword Box illusion but even if you know still amazing.

And here is the Moretti Bullett Catch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-dAHbi2_b5U
[/quote]
Give me some time I will upload it. The other Moretti vids on YouTube are my doing. :)
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jun 29, 2007 12:09AM)
After all these years,
I still can't figure
out the Zig Zag lady.

It really boggles my mind!
[quote]
On 2007-06-29 01:09, Marshall Thornside wrote:
After all these years,
I still can't figure
out the Zig Zag lady.

[/quote]
Hahah, it brought up something that I think is funny. On some illusions when you know the workings and have even seen how it works, your mind is still in denial.
The first time I saw ZigZag it was by the orignator Robert Harbin and it totally fried me.

Having seen Moretti live a few times and also worked on the same bill with him, I can tell you EVERYTHING he does is ORIGINAL AND BAFFLING. His wife died a few years ago and last time I saw Hans he was working with his daughter.

His son also does the bow and arrow act and uses the name Hans Pantar.

There is a beautiful hard cover book on Morettie's life (in German).

He's a great guy too.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jun 29, 2007 08:54PM)
[quote]
On 2007-06-29 09:30, Banester wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-06-29 01:09, Marshall Thornside wrote:
After all these years,
I still can't figure
out the Zig Zag lady.

[/quote]
Hahah, it brought up something that I think is funny. On some illusions when you know the workings and have even seen how it works, your mind is still in denial.
[/quote]

yeah still in denial...

watch denial: http://tinyurl.com/2hwucd
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Jun 30, 2007 01:03AM)
Wow...shy little kid. Not. :)

Whatever happened to that Zig Zag?
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jun 30, 2007 08:48AM)
See, total denial.

I'm trying to find out where it's at...
that was the very first one.
It was sold in 1985 to a guy in Kentucky,
who bought it for his 6 month old daughter
to grow into.

I thought #2 was small when I took it
out of the storage, but that one was
tiny in comparison.

So part of my entire research will
include that as well as another one,
I just learned about last week.
At least Zig Zag didn't leave permanent marks on you...I find you so amazing Marshall
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jun 30, 2007 09:47PM)
Total denial on the purple blood rumour.
[quote]
On 2007-06-29 21:14, Pete Biro wrote:
His son also does the bow and arrow act and uses the name Hans Pantar.
There is a beautiful hard cover book on Morettie's life (in German).
He's a great guy too.
[/quote]

Now I'm confused.
If I remember good someone mentioned in one other topic Hans son died in an accident performing the sword box.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Jun 30, 2007 11:14PM)
Frances:

I forgot to thank you for sharing that video with us. I can remember reading about your Dad making it and performing it with you years ago, and it was awesome to finally get to see it. The internet is an amazing place...

Chris
Yeah nice illusion with costume change. :) Goes in the box blue and comes out pink. :)
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jul 1, 2007 09:20AM)
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 00:14, Christopher Starr wrote:
Frances:

I forgot to thank you for sharing that video with us. I can remember reading about your Dad making it and performing it with you years ago, and it was awesome to finally get to see it. The internet is an amazing place...

Chris

[/quote]

Your welcome.
It was written about A LOT.
If you didn't see it, you read
about it...

Now everyone can "re-live" it.

YaY for the internet!
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jul 1, 2007 09:31AM)
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 09:53, laci200 wrote:
Yeah nice illusion with costume change. :) Goes in the box blue and comes out pink. :)
[/quote]

My dad created his own pattern for the
costume change. Besides sewing it himself.

It's very tricky...

But fun!

Glad you enjoyed it.
I have learned (either through other magicians or through my own research) all of the Copperfield illusion secrets except one. The vanish in "Voyeur". It's fairly apparrent where the girls go, but how is it masked???!!! I'd hate to think there is post-production editing (oh, please no...don't destroy the dream!).

I agree with the "Test Conditions" people (that is a Gary Ouellet illusion called the Millennium Cabinet, by the way). Took me forever to find out how that was done. I don't think you can buy that anywhere, can you?
What is Test Conditions illusion? Is thre a video anywhere?
[quote]
On 2007-07-05 17:02, Harry H wrote:
What is Test Conditions illusion? Is thre a video anywhere?
[/quote]
"Café Quicksearch" and you get both answers.
(Or here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search.php )
Criss angels 6 foot levitation and his building walk
Soemone just link Test Conditions.I saw it last night but lost the link again.
Copperfield's version of Metamorphosis really has me stumped...I mean, I know the mechanics of the trick, but the speed he does it in is like WOW! :wow:
What speed for the metamorphosis? he just uses t**** and B/A. its not that fast. pendragon's is faster.
What he does or doesn't use is irrelevant to the concept of speed of the change. The transformation of girl to performer is rapid and eye-popping. How it's achieved is not the issue here. The cloth handling was, I believe, learned from one of the consultants listed in the credits at the end of that special - a certain JP. Yes, the Pendragons hold the world record for the fastest version of this illusion.
Marshall, Wasn't that "guy" Roger Despard in Cynthiana, KY who purchased Dad's little Zig-zag? Thanks for sharing that video..was great to see.
I'll ask Roger about the little Zig Zag. PM me is you're still interested and I'll let you know what I find out.
David Copperfield's Portal, One, Test Condition, Voyeur, (Do I really need to continue the list ? ... its David Copperfield)

Cyril Takayama's Spiderman Trick, Bird In China Town

Criss Angels Orange, Lemon, Egg Trick

That Indian Magician don't remember his name.....his known for his illusion which he produces I think about 20+ assistants from a small box with an annoying indian background Music.
Without question, Dr. Samuel Cox Hooker's 'Impossibilites and Miltiades III'. It positively dumbfounded me. I'm well studied in all branches of magic, but this piece of work from 1918 was like watching real magic. The audience was filled with magicians, all equally utterly astounded. I was seated next to Dean Dill whose jaw was on the floor when Johnny Gaughan borrowed his deck for a few of the demonstrations.
I was at Johnny's and guessed at how the hooker worked. and he said I was right! This would have been in the summer of 1991 or 92

Anyway, I love the Sword Basket and even though I can watch it as a spectator or be the one thrusting the swords, I can not imagine where the assistant is.
Even though we practice with the lid removed, the experience is mesmerising to myself when the lid is on.

Strange huh? But then again, there's an old saying "Don't eat at a restaurant where the cook won't eat" - by that standard I'll have breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack too :)
Are there any official write-ups on the Hooker illusions (presentation/effect)? I believe there may be Magic magazine article(s) if I recall. Doesn't it deserve a book if it's so legendary?
Yes, there are write-ups and even photo's of the original Dr. Hooker-act.
Okito was one of the attendees.
And yes, you can find an article in Magic Magazine about the remake by Steinmeyer en Gaughan.
Okito was there, under his own name Theo Bamberg.
The list of attendees: Kellar, Houdini, Carter, Hilliard, Elliot, Jarrett, Adelaide Hermann.
You can read about it in Genii, januari and april 2008
Pallbearers Review Vol.2 no.6 (april'67).
Jinx.