(Close Window)
Topic: Who's your favorite female magician?
Who is you favorite female magician?

I think that Juliana Chin is my favorite female magician. Her card manipulation is incredible!
Well I would pick Tina Lenert and Luna Shemada. Okay I know you said one but they are both great! :) Oh BTW I love Tina Lenert doing her bit as the cleaning lady. It has always been my favorite. Anyway I saw they had the video on youtube now for anyone who wants to see it. Now THAT'S magical!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISlHm1TN7A

Beth
I knew Dell O'Dell many years ago. My wife and I knew her and although we watched her perform many times her famous magic act we never got tired of it!
I am so interested in Dell O Dell Mr Riddle. Would love to hear any stories you have to tell about this great lady of magic. I would have loved to have seen her perform. I have read a great deal about her and really believe she is less known than she should be.

There is a photo of Dell O'Dell. It has Bill Neff, Anne Karson in it also. There are four other ppl in it. No one seems sure who they are. I think two of them are Suzy Wandas and her husband Zina Bennet. Would you like to look at the photo and see if you recognize anyone? I would love for someone to idenify all the people in the photo.
Peace Beth
All the ladies that have been talked about so far deserve to be recognized. I would like to throw another name into the hat Celeste Evans. She was a trailblazer in the field of women in magic.
Well, the only female magician I've seen live is "Melinda, the First Lady of Magic", and I can tell you two things I learned from watching her act:

(1) She ain't first in magic, and

(2) She ain't a lady. ;)
Several names come to mind, but I believe the one I have enjoyed the most is Priscilla Kong of the Lawrence & Priscilla father daughter duo from Singapore! She is an extremely talented young lady!
No votes for the Showgirls of Magic, then...? ;)
Don't forget Joycee Beck, who handles a deck of cards seamlessly, and was even recognized as extremely skilled by the Professor himself, Dai Vernon!

You can view her photos and a couple of performance videos at her website, at:
http://www.noonco.com/duchess/

Her smile, personality and snappy wit accompany her manual dexterity beautifully!

Arnon
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Jul 7, 2007 07:09AM)
[quote]
On 2007-05-14 09:58, smagic wrote:
Who is you favorite female magician?

I think that Juliana Chin is my favorite female magician. Her card manipulation is incredible!
[/quote]
Chen, not Chin.
We're not related.

Dianna Zimmerman.

When I was 4 and we were on the World's Greatest Magic tour, I would really love watching her perform from wings.

I think the Gold Record was what got me hooked.
Autumn Morningstar is quickly becoming my favorite woman magician. Here's why:

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/magicmorningstar/ams.html
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 16, 2007 07:18AM)
Thank you, Spellbinder. I am overwhelmed!
Autumn
I'd go with Celeste, but mostly because I still can't figure out where she hid all of those doves. We have so many excellent female magicians these days and the number is growing. The new president of the SAM is a very talented female magician. Come back and look at this post in 10 years and see how many of the ladies currently on the forum are among the great stars of magic, I think you would probably be surprised at their high percentage of representation. Magic is definitely no longer a "guy" thing.
Photius, thank you for your kind words and reference to my magic....
"The new president of the SAM is a very talented female magician."

There are many great female magicians so at least for me it would be difficult to pick just one out.

Keep a dream in the making
Maria Ibanez
National President
Society of American Magicians
[quote]
On 2007-07-16 13:23, photius wrote:
Magic is definitely no longer a "guy" thing.
[/quote]

thank god!!! to be really honest I have never seen a female perform only on the t.v or computer, shows I have attended have been 100% male performers and this is in los angeles... I wonder if any of the ladies here have ever performed at the magic castle?
I do like Autumn Morning Stars video on her site. I love magic that is themed and has good charecter development and it is obvious that a lot of original thought has gone into her show. I would be interested in viewing other videos if anyone would start a thread so y'all could list them...
As I have stated before womens magic is very underdeveloped and I see alotalotalota potentiality in this field, there is a treasure trove of charecters and routines that only women can perform and I look forward to following the progress of all of you over the years...
What about Jade.(www.magicjade.com) She is the best. Then again I am a little biast.

-Matt
Autumn. ^^ Celeste. Jade.
Just think two of the three large US based magic organizations, IBM, SAM, and Academy of Magical Arts are currently headed by women. Maria Ibanez, National President of the Society of American Magicians; and Gay Blackstone , president, Academy of Magical Arts. Now talk about women making a mark in magic and having an influence!
Dell O'Dell was brilliant. I quite like Lisa Menna. She's smart and talented.

- entity
You guys ever heard of Billy Kid?

Check her out!

I believe you can find her on Gazzo's website http://www.gazzoshow.com

I think her site is http://www.billykidshow.com
Juliana Chen, Luna Shimada, Jade!!!

Best
Brandon
Message: Posted by: Michael F. Dilley (Jul 25, 2007 01:09PM)
My vote is for my teacher, Karen Beriss.
We Inner Beings wish Princess Tenko a speedy recovery. She was recently injured while performing.
Atum Morningstar
Maritess Queen
Lisa from T.H.E.M.
Lisa Menna
Jade
Angela Funavitz
Galina!
Me. I can do feminine.
No you can't.
I didn't say I could do it very well...
[quote]
On 2007-08-15 20:04, Matt Colman wrote:
Me. I can do feminine.
[/quote]
OH I'D LOVE TO SEE IT MATTY-POO!
Autumn Morning Star, Mai-Ling, Cyssa, Magicalaurie, Helene Shad, and Randirain.

Was the question the best female magician, or the best looking female magician?
Juliana Chin
Jeff Hobson....oh I'm kidding, he's great!

I really like Jade.
This is my first post on the Magic Café forum. I've been researching and collecting material on women in magic for over 20 years and write a column on the subject for "The Linking Ring." I'm currently working on a biography of Dell O'Dell, to be published in a few years by Squash Publishing. I would love to hear from Mr. Tom Riddle about his memories of Dell, as well as hear from anyone else who knew her or has second-hand anecdotal information. Julie Sobanski has summarized her career beautifully in an article published in the August 2007 "MUM."
I have never seen a female magician perform live. I would love to see Autumn Morning Star and Snakebabe, but - perhaps most of all - Tessa Evanson.
[quote]
On 2007-06-25 13:24, airship wrote:
Well, the only female magician I've seen live is "Melissa, the First Lady of Magic", and I can tell you two things I learned from watching her act:

(1) She ain't first in magic, and

(2) She ain't a lady. ;)
[/quote]

I see the “Wink” so I am not sure if you’re approving of her or is it a derogatory comment?
OH OH OH I forgot to include Ms. Morgan preferably in black leather.
On youtube I saw a very pretty young Hungarian girl perform beautiful manipulations. I forgot her name but she performs in Las Vegas and is married (bummer) to another magician. What is her name? She is a real stunner in magic and beauty :)
I'm the Juliana Chen camp as well. But there is a girl down here in the Columbia that shows great promise and I look for her to become more visible in the coming years.
Patrick66,

I think you are talking of Joseph Gabriel's wife, Katalin.

JRob,
Which lady are you talking about? Just curious, I live in the Columbia area.

-Matt
Frances Ireland.
I am in LOVE with Celeste Evans...circa when she looked like Jane Russell. Va va voom!
I put in a vote for Maritess! New Yorks finest:0)
France Ireland pioneered so much for both men and women; she was my hero. AS a little girl I read With "Frances in Magicland" which somehow slipped into the local library: it made me feel I could also be a magician, even without a handy everyday suit. Always liked her definition of success from the Success Book series -- its what is a success for you, not for someone else. So magic helped pay my way through college.

Tina Lenert has a mystical weightlessness on stage that confounds you with its later wallop.

Carol Roy, though an assistant, was so fabulous at movement and timing that made Mr. Electric magically eclectrifying. Studying the DVDs is a revelation.
Tina Lennert is my favourite.
And guys, I don't think this thread was meant as a beauty contest, so just grow up!
I have to put in a vote for Dorothy Dietrich. A pioneer.

One of the first women to saw men in half.

First women to escape from a straight jacket from a burning rope off of a parachute ride hundreds of feet in the air. Done on an HBO special, put in by unrehearsed security guards when in her teens.

First women to do the jinxed bullet catch in the mouth and under test conditions at an IBM National Convention, as a teenager.

Ran New York City's Magic Towne House, the first ongoing cabaret of magic in NYC. Helped coach and start dozens of now well known magicians and in many ways the inspiration for NYC's Monday Night Magic. This would include Eric DeCamps, Jeff McBride, David Regal, Johnny Ace Palmer, Rocco, Peter Samelson, Imam, Meir Yedid, Michael Chaut, and a long list of others.

Currently runs and performs at the Houdini Museum, the only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.

Currently heads up one of the leading yearly Houdini Seances in the world.

Published, edited and wrote Hocus Pocus Magazine a 64 page magic magazine for three years.

She does everything from kids magic shows, escapes, dangerous life threatening magic, magic with silks, flowers, audience participation including a great misers dream routine, illusions, doves, poodles, rabbits, ducks, etc.

She is also an expert at graphology (handwriting analysis) and palmistry and does much mentalism as well.

She has been called the Female Houdini, America's Leading Female Magician, The First Lady of Magic, The World's Foremost Lady Magician and Mistress of the Occult.

That said any woman that can work and succeed in magic is to be congratulated and respected. Not an easy road.

Her hope is that someday a women will reach the financial heights and worldwide recognition of a Copperfield or Blaine.
CHRYSTAL NEED I SAY NORE.....
Hello, everyone,

Why do you suppose we are not taken seriously in magic generally speaking, is it because of sexism, or that magic is pulled off better from a man for some reason?

Just thinking,
Joan
Joan, first I'd like to point out that I can only ever remember seeing a couple female magicians in my whole life, so my opinion comes from a very limited perception of female magicians.

One of those ladies I liked, the other I didn't. Personally, I could do without the sex appeal stuff. I watch magic for the performance. I don't personally care to see a woman using the fact that she's a woman as a selling point for her act. That's just me. Have skill and talent and be a great performer. All I ask. I could do without the bathing suit or the leotard. And this coming from a very straight male.

As mentioned by several others, Julianna Chen is awesome.
The Reed sisters (Shayna, Jessica and Mandy) are among my faves. Also, Claudia (an up-and-coming coin artist) from Spain.

Bill
I've been avoiding this topic like the plague, but it just keeps coming back to the surface! Many women in magic are friends of mine, so I won't just list friends, beauty, or brains alone. Also, I try not to classify magicians as male or female...that is unimportant to me when it comes to who is a favorite. I feel like I'm treated as an equal by a large majority of my peers in the business--if not moreso, so I won't play the victim card. That doesn't help one find equality anyhow... That being said, there are many acts by female magicians that I don't care for. All too often they honestly come across as fake personalities--too contrived. There are also quite a few that I have been extremely impressed by.

I prefer to compare magicians based on skill, talent, and creativity--all of which are very different things. Juliana Chen is one of my favorite magicians (again, not male or female...just in general) and she's also extremely friendly. I agree with many of those listed already, so rather than drudging down that path again, I will add a few that have not been mentioned who really stand out based on my criteria: Sue-Anne Webster, Roxanne, Huang Zheng, and Kyoko. Just to name a few... I like different qualities about each of these artist's acts. I do not like them because they are women, but of course I do admire them a great deal...
I'd like to put in a word for Fay Presto and Mandy Davis, both really great magicians from over here in England. Also I'd like to declare my admiration for Arian Black, a fantastic magician who's done a lot to advance the status of female magicians generally.
[quote]
On 2008-01-16 11:40, Nell wrote:
Many women in magic are friends of mine, so I won't just list friends, beauty, or brains alone. Also, I try not to classify magicians as male or female...that is unimportant to me when it comes to who is a favorite. I feel like I'm treated as an equal by a large majority of my peers in the business--if not moreso, so I won't play the victim card. [/quote]

AMEN!

Thought I'd thorugh out a few more names too...

I enjoy Keiko Muto's flower and fan/parasol manipulation. And Roxxane has got a great personality as well...I enjoy watching her magic.
After seeing a video of Randi Rain once...well, I was smitten. I like her style, her energy, and of course, her looks.

Never seen a female perfom magic "live", but hope to some day!

By the way, I wore a BRIGHT RED T-shirt today...breast cancer awareness day.

Doug
Trixie Bond,Great Look,Great routines and Versatile artist,Maria "Merlina" Iba~ez is a nice Magic Lady too!!!
Shedini.
I have never seen either perform, but two female magicians have brought magic my way.
Autumn Morning Star through her wise words and Mai-Ling through her beautiful music.

Peace,
Parson
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Lyn Dillies. She is in the National Archives for her production of 2 elephants. She is also the first magician male or female to do this. She has been in the biz. for ever.
Suzanne!

Suzanne, I say!

Douglas M.
[quote]
On 2007-07-16 00:47, dxsare wrote:
I believe the first lady of magic is Malinda, not Mellisa, but yeah pretty cheesy stuff, and I'm not just talking about the World's Greatest Magic either. And how did she decide she was the first woman in magic??

Stevie D
[/quote]

It looked good on the marquee. I'm reminded of a radio station in NYC that used to boast it broadcast from the top of the Empire State Building. When told the EVERY radio station broadcast from the top of the Empire State Building, the station manager said; "So what? Did I claim we were the only ones?"

Always take advertising with a VERY large grain of salt!
I have seen both Chen and Shemada in person, I have to give a slight nod to Chen. Shemada is very entertaining, but during her performance she loses about 20 pounds. They are both friendly and engaging people.

Male magicians seem to interact with each other - they take criticism and suggestions without becoming offended. I once made a suggestion to a female magicican and you would have thought I stabbed her in the heart.

Jim
I think female magicians interact with each other as well. It's when a male comes around that the defenses go up. Maybe that's wrong, but it's hardly unexpected.

I remember a survey in Genii w-a-y back in the day where they asked; "Why aren't there more female magicians?" Some of the answers were wowsers!

Women won't put in the time to practice.
Women aren't as graceful as men. (I'm serious that was one of the answers)
Women can't do the heavy lifting necessary for large illusion shows. (And how much does David Copperfield or Lance Burton actually carry?)

I didn't get a chance to put in my two cents (the survey was closed by the time I heard about it.) But it would have been this; Women are not taught to play with toys. Men are. (Think about it, most male toys are about empowerment; pretending you're an explorer, cowboy, adventurer, etc. Most female toys are about running a household, raising a baby or shopping.)

It's amazing we have the level of female talent we do today!
Message: Posted by: Kaarlo von Freymann (Feb 25, 2008 03:33AM)
Quote:....I love Tina Lenert doing her bit as the cleaning lady. It has always been my favorite....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISlHm1TN7A
Beth

I saw her twice here in Helsinki doing that bit, the first time I was fooled, the second time I just could not wait. What an EXTRA-ordinary out of the the route performance. What grace, what music! Only a woman could do a show like that.
Forget about political correctness. There are differences! And we know it. I can hear immediately on the radio whether the voice is a black singer's, and I sure prefer that to anything else.
Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
You can't say that here in America, that would be considered a racist statement.

Jim
[quote]
On 2008-02-29 17:23, jimhlou wrote:
You can't say that here in America, that would be considered a racist statement.

Jim
[/quote]
You can say anything in America. It may not be popular, but you still have the right to say it.
I love Malinda, I've seen her show three times.
Sherri Louis is the only child magician that was actually entertaining.
Princess Tenko is a national treasure.
Kate Medvedeva rules.
Growing up, Fran Ireland help was just a (long distance) phone call away.
Pat Collines wasn't strictly a magician, but she was the absolute best stage hypotist around.
Jerrie Larson WAS The Magic Lady.
I have not seen many female magicians but when I was little I meet and saw a female magician 'rachel wild' she was like my inspration to do amgic as a female. Sadly I lost contact with her and was wondering if anyone might have a email or website that I could contact her through?
thanx :)
I tend to favor female illusionists. (Call me corny- I like the razzle dazzle Vegas style.) Melinda is one of my all time favs.

I am currently falling for Sophie Edelstein . She performed with "Cirque Pinder", a French Circus. She is also a judge for a foreign version of "America's Got Talent". If you haven't seen her perform, look her up under "Cirque Pinder" on Google video.

Lyn Dillies is a fav, simply because she was one of the first women in magic I watched while deciding to perform magic myself.

Isn't Sittah performing now? I have only seen one short clip of her on a talk show.
Natasha, Rachel is married to Aldo Colombini now. Here's a link to their web site which has some contact information.

http://www.wildcolombini.com/
[quote]
Isn't Sittah performing now? I have only seen one short clip of her on a talk show.
[/quote]

Yes, she is. In fact, Sittah took 1st place honors in the illusions category at FISM 2006 at Stockholm. Her entire competition piece (quite literally a 10-minute illusion show, with a complete story) is on the FISM 2006 DVD. I was in the audience and very proud to see a female win that spot. Especially one that so many had written off as 'just an assistant'. :)
0w wow I didn't know that Rachel was remarried.
Thank you for the Link Dave.
Lisa Menna
Kristen Johnson...no female performs the Water Torture Cell or any other water escape better than she does. Her twists to the Hanging Straitjacket escape, Snowstorm, true physical stunts and many others combine the perfect balance of elegance, strength, beauty and determination.

After our shows girls flock to Kristen. They think it is so cool to see a female doing what she does. Funny thing is the guys also are drawn to her as they are truly impressed with what she accomplishes during the show.

Kevin

P.S. Yes I admit I am a bit biased.
Kevin,
I will agree with you on Kristen's performance of the WTC. I'll have to trust you on the suspended straitjacket because I haven't seen her perform that ;) I will admit that knowing I'll never be able to do any of the underwater stuff, I am a bit envious of her. I would love to do JUST ONE underwater stunt, but if my cardiologist were to find out, he'd kill me! We finally got all my heart problems diagnosed and while everything is being treated and monitored, I'd rather not tempt fate. So, I'll stick to doing my escapes in the formalwear (and hope nothing breaks during the performance!) :D

Margarette
[quote]
On 2008-01-15 19:34, lemon ice wrote:
Joan, first I'd like to point out that I can only ever remember seeing a couple female magicians in my whole life, so my opinion comes from a very limited perception of female magicians.

One of those ladies I liked, the other I didn't. Personally, I could do without the sex appeal stuff. I watch magic for the performance. I don't personally care to see a woman using the fact that she's a woman as a selling point for her act. That's just me. Have skill and talent and be a great performer. All I ask. I could do without the bathing suit or the leotard. And this coming from a very straight male.

As mentioned by several others, Julianna Chen is awesome.
[/quote]

I just came from the another thread I think it's "MissDirection" Or maybe it was brought up in " Women Only!" but someone asked why we do not use our natural sex appeal as "Misdirection" I could not have expressed it better myself. THIS is why a lot of males do not take female magicians seriously. While the large percentage of female magicians perform for the sake of performing, there will always be that 1 in who knows how many that will try and wiggle her way into magic... and suck. And that is what will be remembered. I wish that you had posted this over there.
Krystyn Lambert, we had the oportunity to be at a master class together in vegas when she was only 12, we just did a show in Loveland Colorado and she has come a long way, she has been performing at the magic castle and she has won several magic competitions, she is only 17 now but she is soon to be a big star in the world of magic.
[quote]
On 2007-07-12 13:35, Spellbinder wrote:
Autumn Morningstar is quickly becoming my favorite woman magician. Here's why:

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb/magicmorningstar/ams.html

[/quote]
I'm very impressed with her video sampler and her background (?) music. *sigh* There's nothing on her site about coming to the Four-State Area (Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri/and sometimes Kansas).

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet (Cherokee on Mom's side, Creek on Dad's; but looks more like the "Black Dutch" gypsy who came to this country, went straight to Indian territory, and started this family.)
My favorites are: Jessica Reed, Krystyn Lambert, and Tina Lenert.
Mercedes Talma.
I named my hairless Sphynx cat after her.
Talma was the only name exotic enough to suit my cat.
[quote]
On 2008-03-13 13:00, ringmaster wrote:
[/quote]
Malinda is my favorite too.
[quote]
On 2008-09-14 10:39, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-03-13 13:00, ringmaster wrote:
[/quote]
Malinda is my favorite too.
[/quote]
Do you mean Melinda?
You're right, my bad.
I like Melinda too and I think she got some unfair criticism because she played the sex/showgirl image a lot. She was clearly a very professional and extremely hard working performer. Just because a woman is attractive and a good dancer as well as being an excellent magic performer doesn't mean she should be badmouthed. She knew how to put on a good show and Vegas is a bit less fun without her.

I also want to put in a word for Joanie Spina, who is a hugely talented magician and all-round performer. I think she is frequently and unfairly overlooked when people rave about Copperfield. Many of DC's best routines owe a lot to Joanie. And she has proved she can cut the mustard as a magician in her own right.

Sadly, many of the bad magic acts you see today (you know the ones where the performers seem to feel the need to do an overlong bit of embarassing dance every ten seconds) are the result of untalented morons trying to emulate what Spina did for Copperfield. What she understands and the morons don't is the every part of a routine should be there for a reason and should add to the effect. To do these things right takes someone who understands choreography and magic - and Joanie is a top professional at both.
Angelea Funoivits

here she is performing..
YouTube - Magician Angela Funovits Card Manipulation
I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISlHm1TN7A that was recommended by beth and loved it ... not a lot of "big" magic but she made it look so magical ... wonderful ... thanks for the pointer :)
On my recent London variety shows this year, I booked two female magicians, both with completely different styles. Katherine Rhodes has a top class mentalism act with the best floating table I have ever seen, and Careena Fenton has a cheeky, varied act which is engaging and very entertaining.
Fay Presto is easily top of my list.
What about Sabina, the first and only woman in the world that has drived blindfolded a car?

http://it.youtube.com/user/sabinasavelli
Wow! Over a year and a half and no one has mentioned Connie Boyd. She gets my vote.

I’m quite surprised to hear of the folks that have never seen a live performance by female magician. I have seen many, many excellent performances. Melinda was a stand out years ago, and most recently the Reed Sisters and Roxanne in Louisville this past summer.

Keep up the great work!
Genny The Genie - Sacramento , Calif

Very creative and her routine is very well designed !!! Look for her and I to work together in the very near future !
Has Betty Baney been mentioned?
[quote]
On 2009-01-02 15:42, Paolo Venturini wrote:
What about Sabina, the first and only woman in the world that has drived blindfolded a car?

http://it.youtube.com/user/sabinasavelli
[/quote]

My favorite female magicians are Celeste Evans and Luna Shimada!

And Blind Drives are AWESOME! I had the great opportunity of performing one on Oct. 9th 2008 as a publicity stunt for a show I help produce called "Magic in Savanna". We announced the stunt on a radio show that week, and recieved a crowd of well over six hundred people! I had so much fun! I adore John Calvert, and got to see him do a blind drive once. It totally inspired me! I used the silver dollars, duct tape, hood, the whole nine yards! And I performed it at night! Craziness! Joel Ward helped me out, and it's a night we'll never forget!
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 16:41, mandarin wrote:
Has Betty Baney been mentioned?
[/quote]
Jeeesh - and I wasn't even drinking! I meant, Becky Blaney! Apologies, Becky...
My favourite fem. magician in Sweden.
http://www.malinnilsson.se/

Otherwise, Lisa Menna is one of my favourites...
It would have to be my wife...No one can make my money disappear as fast...!!

:rotf:
My favorite female magician is Jen Adams. Several members of the Austin magic club were starting a new bar gig and I went to support them. I was a resent participant with McBride's masters class, and was pretty snooty with respect to developing your own stuff. Jen performed Eugene Burger's Inquisition card warp routine. As far as I could tell it was the same word for word, but yet it was different. She owned the performance. It was like watching an actor perform Shakespeare; familiar material, but with a new interpretation. I learned a lot that evening.
I used to like Melinda, but today? Totally disappeared from television. Randi Rain is a Vegas Comedy Magician and Fire Eater. She still is a favorite. Galina from the Ukraine slayed me, with her unique dance and floating ball routine, plus her version of Linking Rings.

The lady I've most recently seen (online), is Miss Vega Bond from London. Another very talented performer who is very pretty as well. She is performing solo, now.

Now, if age is not an issue, Patricia Duncan has really impressed me at such a young age:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNDt_zcJHQA

That was 2008, when she was 13. She started magic at 10. Now, she's disappeared! That is sad, as I see talent here. I hope Patricia Duncan continues to perform.

How can I pick a favorite, from so many diverse, and unique performers? I wonder what ever happened to Chrystal? Someone told me she is an awesome performer. She was a Staff Member of this Café, at one time.

Also not heard from in a year and a half, is Jess Peterson. I've never seen her performance, but heard she is awesome. She used to post here.

I kinda miss seeing the lady magicians. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Doug
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 24, 2010 10:57AM)
Hands down for my genre of magic,
and personally, Margaret Steele.

Magically,
Walt
Hey Doug! I'm still here! lol
~Jess Peterson
Oh! There you are, Jess! Whoa, thought we lost ya there! Stick around, I've heard good things, and you could be an inspiration! Welcome back! :)

Doug
How would a girl become the best?
Ya know, Sally, that is a good question. Seems there are many opinions on this. It's like saying "who is the best MALE magician"? And, "favorite" is subjective, also. Everyone has a favorite performer. And it's a matter of taste.

I have my favorites, and they are the ones that get my attention >The girls who are beautiful and graceful, and perform excellent magic. Not necessarily in that order, though. And ya know? It's really unfair. Why should being beautiful make a difference, if a girl's magic is done gracefully and fools the audience?

Not every man sees beauty in the same way. However. Magic is a specific art. You have to be good. You have to perform with routines that keep rapt attention. You have to perform unique effects and routines. Is that what is known as the best? Hard to say. How would ANYONE become "the best"?

Then, we ask, "The best WHAT?" Coin magician? Card Magician? Closeup magician? Stage? Mentalist? It gets bogged down. You have asked a very good question, Sally. I really don't know the answer to that. ~Sheesh~ Now I'm gonna be up all night thinking about that! (laughing) Darn! There is no fair answer. I would advise you to practice, and strive to be the BEST you can BE! Is that an OK answer? :)

Doug
How about Becky Blaney? She grew up in a magic family, her father being Walter "Zaney" Blaney, and has been a steady, hard working pro for years; comedy clubs, corporate events, TV, one of the house magicians at Magic Island Houston and I believe she worked as a teenager at the old Houston AstroWorld Amusment park.

http://www.beckyblaney.com/

JU
My little girl shows me magical things every day.
I would say Melinda First Lady of Magic
I saw Julie Eng from Toronto a few years ago at Magi Fest and was very impressed with her artistic story telling style.
I only recently became involved with magic club - last November to be exact. On the third month, the theme was to "Impersonate our Favorite Magician". Well... Becky Blaney is hilarious and I fell in love watching her.. so that is the Magician I selected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5bvR-Vp1jY

Now mind you I started in November this was done a few months later. lol

I will always have hold highest respect for her.
Hi Doug

I'm still here as well! Thanks so much for the kind words.

Chrystal
Took my daughter to the magic castle today and 2 of the 3 performers we say were female, and one wad 15 years old. so she's my favorite
[quote]
On 2011-02-11 18:02, Chrystal wrote:
Hi Doug

I'm still here as well! Thanks so much for the kind words.

Chrystal
[/quote]

Oh! Chrystal! There you are! Great to see you! Sure did miss ya! I hope you still perform...I have always thought of you as kind, and thoughtful, and imagine your magic performance to be "class A"! I am so glad to see you are still a part of this wonderful group of people! Hugs! :)

Doug
I don't know why Charlotte Pendragon has not been mentioned here. An award winning performer and talented magical entertainer on her own.
Charlotte is performing on her OWN now? I did not know that. She is one tough lady to bounce back after her ordeal! Glad to hear it! I would love to see what she's doing now!

Doug
The First Lady of Magic: http://www.charlottependragon.com/
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Mar 10, 2011 08:27PM)
We all love Char!
[quote]
On 2011-03-09 17:24, Tony Ellis wrote:
The First Lady of Magic: http://www.charlottependragon.com/
[/quote]

I thought Melinda was the first lady of Magic.
I still do not have a favorite one but I am learning a lot from this interesting thread.
You all have overlooked the first female magician to win "Best Close up Magician" at the Magic Castle.... Suzanne!
She does an amazing job at weaving a story into something we've all seen done before. Her cups and balls routine is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2yrkH6nRQ
I'd also have to say Luna Shemada and her parasol routine too... always beautifully done.
Hi all...
Too the best of my knowledge, Dorothy Dietrich was actually the first women to be called "The First Lady of Magic" at the very start of her career as a teenager. And continued to be called so many years thereafter.

She has dozens of magazine and newspaper articles to attest to this fact. It is just not worth taking time from her busy performing schedule to follow up on the people who try to usurp the title. Three national television shows this coming season, including an appearance on on "Mysteries at the Museum" on The Travel Channel Houdini's Mirror Cuff Escape as a Houdini expert and founder of Scranton's Houdini Museum. Just got a lifetime achievement award from Metro Magic, was the only escape artist booked to perform onstage at the Houdini exhibit at The Jewish Museum in NY, to a standing ovation by the way. Also the only woman to be invited and booked there to speak on Houdini on a panel with George Schindler, Dean of the Society of American Magicians, and Kenneth Silverman author of the excellent bio on Houdini.

When not doing a TV shoot, appearing most days of the year somewhere. Mostly on the East Coast, NY, Fla, PA, as she likes to be near home to be with her family and friends..

Regardz
Dick Brookz
Very nice picks and there were a bunch of new names for me! My favorite has always been Luna Shimada, who has been mentioned in this thread multiple times. I also like the style of Roxanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHAmm0M6wA

If I would ever end up doing magic professionally, I would do something similar. Tell a story enhanced with magic. Sadly she isn't doing anything like that anymore, it seems.
I haven't seen many female magicians in person, but the one that really stood out to me was about 40 years ago when I saw Suzi Wandas perform at Ring 22's annual show. She must have been in her 80's, but still showed poise and grace in her stage routine.

Gary
[quote]
On 2008-02-10 01:56, Parson Smith wrote:
I have never seen either perform, but two female magicians have brought magic my way.
Autumn Morning Star through her wise words and Mai-Ling through her beautiful music.

Peace,
Parson
[/quote]
Parson,

October 7th and 8th is you opportunity to see Autumn Morning Star lecture and perform.

http://magicvalleymagic.com/

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=364591&forum=31&426&start=420#5

Otherwise, Germany, France and Switzerland is where you'll need to go.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Magic at the Beach has two of the top professional lady magicians in our field.

JADE and TINA LENERT will be at Magic At the Beach, 2012.

Go to http://www.magicatthebeach.org for all the details.

January 12-14, 2012.

-Matthew McCoy
MATB Talent/Stage Director
[quote]
On 2008-01-04 23:06, Joan Spydel wrote:
Hello, everyone,

Why do you suppose we are not taken seriously in magic generally speaking, is it because of sexism, or that magic is pulled off better from a man for some reason?

Just thinking,
Joan
[/quote]

The standard of magic have been raise by Dai Vernon. When a man lied, he look sexy, cool and bad boy. When a woman lied, she a bi*ch or witch....

Perhaps the reason why we trust our mom more than we trust our dad. In animal worlds too, we see baby are closer to their mom. Maybe because of the milk.

We would like to see someone we trust like mother poisoning our milk right. So it hard to enjoy when a woman try to lie. Just because we look woman as angel, princess and not witch.

Woman magician should have image of mother teresa giving the massage of loving, producing flower, butterfly rather than card or spider.
[quote]
On 2008-10-24 03:08, vinsmagic wrote:
Angelea Funoivits

here she is performing..
YouTube - Magician Angela Funovits Card Manipulation
[/quote]

I love her card manipulation. I can see she put lots of effort on it.. but I dislike her mentalism performance due to unnatural routine and her personality.

I think best routine for a woman is not to be professional card cheat...but to be a giver.. Imagine a woman magician produce sweets (rather coin) for children. Imagine a woman magician, change cloth of all her daughters or children into a Cinderella dress.

I hate woman who wear over exposed cloth or using seduction in magic. It not lovely. People want to enjoy a good entertaining magic, and not P*RN.

Woman should use patter line, or story line that most girl dream of. Beautiful cloth? Beautiful heel...(Changing a flip flop to high heel), Changing a normal bag into branded bag, or producing a prince charming (the perfect guy)which a wizard cut him in half, and the woman call a fairy to heal the man.

Woman magicians should focus more on family effect, effect that teach people to appreciate what they have, effect that give people something to eat..., effect that teaches good moral.
Oh ya, I forget... the effect of making a short hair becoming long hair, a curly hair becoming a straight hair...is good for woman magician.

The ideal image for a woman magician are fairly tales who grand 3 wishes for people in need.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Pendragon (Nov 8, 2011 05:44AM)
Charlotte Pendragon, there is no one like her.
I've come to be awfully fond of Dorothy Dietrich. Has anyone seen video of her sawing talk show hosts in half? Please post a link, if any!
[quote]
On 2011-11-08 06:44, Jonathan Pendragon wrote:
Charlotte Pendragon, there is no one like her.
[/quote]

True
Park Eun Kyoung

Performing magic for only 7 years and creating and rehearsing virtually 24/7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r9rvsGwcN4&feature=youtu.be
[quote]
On 2011-11-08 01:40, charliewerner wrote:

...Perhaps the reason why we trust our mom more than we trust our dad. In animal worlds too, we see baby are closer to their mom. Maybe because of the milk...
[/quote]

Charlie, you have a very interesting way of saying things! This one killed me:

[quote]
On 2011-11-08 01:40, charliewerner wrote:
...Woman magician should have image of Mother Teresa giving the massage of loving...
[/quote]

OMG! The visual I got from that! A "loving massage" from Mother Teresa!! :wow:

Doug
Charlie, I hope you realize I'm just kidding ya! ;) Hopefully you don't take offense to me finding humor in your posts! :)
Ines from Spain!
Best Female Magician is, in my opinion, SYLVIA SCHUYER from the Netherlands. Take a look at her `money change`at youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwfAr9LjMz4&feature=plcp
Time to chime in on this thread!
After learning of Randi Rain,here on Café...I am Smitten with her and her performance!
Autumn Morning Star,is another one that has gained my attention!
But,the one I have seen several times and have to give her a vote of one of my favorites is,Rachel Colombini! :)
I have attended a lecture with Rachel and Aldo.(A few with Aldo)
Rachel,is just the total package...with style,class and performance! And,I love her voice!
Aldo and Rachel would be a great topic for the Magician dating a Magician thread as well!

Gary
I second Randi Rain. Low key and grounded in classic magic.
Haven't Ben exposed to many. I'd say Laura London from what I have seen.
Hi everyone! :)

I have found this German lady magician, Alana on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxA0140DZg

Also, although she is not a magician (she is sideshow), Sia Synn had me riveted to my seat in abject horror:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SiaSynn

Yes, these ladies are beautiful! Alana is unique. she does an "In Her Hands" act that is one-of-a-kind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5-HibGxgPg

This is an example of "the tease...", looking at the audience and smiling at the right time. An absolutely ALLURING performance. Not the most magical, but VERY entertaining.

Anastasia (Sia Synn) is just shocking. A beautiful woman impales her arms (and legs?) with a six inch needle! No, this is NOT Needle Thru The Arm! It's real! Unbelieveable.

If you look at Sia Synn's videos, you'll see her do the act in a black leather nurse outfit. She wears a gas mask. Somehow, the whole thing works for her. Hey, if Jeff McBride had her on his show...that tells me a lot.

Just wanted to share! :)

Doug
Here is a female magician many of you will be unaware of - http://www.RosannaMagic.com
Thank you Tim! Wow...she's beautiful!

Doug
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 19:36, Morjhana wrote:
You all have overlooked the first female magician to win "Best Close up Magician" at the Magic Castle.... Suzanne!
She does an amazing job at weaving a story into something we've all seen done before. Her cups and balls routine is fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2yrkH6nRQ
[/quote]

Suzanne is a friend, also from MN. She is great!
I just posted a short interview with her on my blog at: http://bobmillermagic.biz/profitableperformances/?p=118
I hope you enjoy it.
The beautiful and talented Angela Funovits gets my vote every time.
Ariann Black
Suzanne, too.
My vote goes to Katalin of http://www.misskatalin.com

She is as talented as she is beautiful.
Katalin! She is so beautiful...it stuns me. I spend countless time staring at her pictures. That vid of her as Catwoman...MY GOSH!! Gahhhh! I can't stand it...I'm just gobsmacked!

Honestly, though...she'd never give me the time of day. She might give me a second glance to give a description to the police...

Doug
Yumi, Jade, and Juliana Chen all get my vote.
My favorite female magicians are Maritess Zurbano, Kimberly Bornstein and She Dini!
I'm a big fan of Misty Lee now! :)

Doug
[quote]
On 2013-09-19 19:53, Dougini wrote:
I'm a big fan of Misty Lee now! :)

Doug
[/quote]

I was waiting for you to post that!

ME TOO ! :)
Quite a few have come and gone. Randi Rain has always been a fave, but I know her. Not personally, but here in the Café. Magic Babe (Ning?) is a talented young woman. It's difficult to pick a favorite out of so many. Galina, Alana, and all these European women magicians...yow! How do you pick one over the other? Each is different.

Japanese and Chinese lady magicians abound on YouTube! One Chinese gal absolutely FLOORED me. I can't find it now. It's all in those weird letters YouTube is so find of. I should have made it a favorite I guess. I have not seen Charlotte Pendragon perform solo yet. Now THERE is a lady magician! Jonathan made her a STAR! What a great team there!

Even after all this, I still cannot get Sia Synn out of my mind! You get [i]the point[/i]...(a-HEM!) ;)

Doug