(Close Window)
Topic: Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson
Hello friends!
I've started this thread to share an exciting new work by Jon Thompson.

"Naked Mentalism" is fine treatise on the use of psychological/statistical forces.

The amount of powerful and workable information in one place is astounding. Since its release, I have been a HUGE fan of Banachek's PS1 and recently, volume 2. Jon's work is along the same lines, with additional bits, more forces (many that were new to me) and some excellent routines. More on this in a few . . .

The book is well organized and laid out. Jon has made the information very easy to take in, with some golden pointers for using the forces with better results. I predict it will be an indispensable work for those using psychological forces, taking its place among the aforementioned greats.

What I enjoyed most about the book is, Jon gives valuable information behind the REASONS why such forces work, and a structure that makes them even more effective and reliable than before, including wonderful thoughts on priming the participant for maximum results and hits.

One of the high points of the book is his "Naked Book Test". This thing is absolutely amazing!!!

It involves a person merely thinking of a word from whatever (magazine, book, newspaper, letter, etc.) and you name it! That simple!!! This can also be done over the phone, text message, IM and radio.

The test was devised specifically to replicate true psychic ability. It looks, plays and feels just like the real thing. I love this! Now, the test is not 100%, but in all the times I have used it, with Jon's handling, it has been spot on. He also explains how to turn the misses into hits and near hits. Remember, this is supposed to be the real deal!!! I have had nothing but great praise and strong reactions from the test. I dare say it is the grail (for those of you interested in such things) :)

In the book, Jon speaks about using his work in a "Dreams and Visions" type scenario, with the spectator creating a scene in their mind, and the performer reveals it, bit by bit. This is a lot like Michael Murray's new hit, "Between the Lines" and yet, they are quite a bit different. To be interested in one is to be naturally interested in the other. Combined, they are each even more powerful. Example: After BTL, I take it a step further and have another person merely imagine a scene (without a page) and then I can describe it myself in breathtaking detail.

All in all, I cannot praise this work enough. I hope Jon charges an arm and a leg for it, the book test alone is worth 10X more than he will ask for it.

Include some powerful work with cold readings, a few other great routines, and well, I'll let you decide. The release date is set this June.

Best,
Jerome Finley.
Thank you for sharing your views with us, Jerome!

Jon's new book is one that I have had my eye on for quite some time now. If his various posts and essays from all corners of the Internet are anything to go by, the material within [i]Naked Mentalism[/i] should prove to be very useful. There appears to be a very original streak running through his work as well, which is refreshing to see.

Anyhow, I'll refrain from posting more until I have actually read the book. It is certainly something I am looking forward to reading though.

Thanks again for the post Jerome - it's good to finally see a release date mentioned!

Regards,
Harry.
Is this going to be offered directly through Jon or is it going to be available in magic shops?

Cheers,
Allan
I would hope this would be available through Jon only. I'm waiting to hear back from him to provide you with more details.

Best,
J.
Ok, this will be available from Jon (TOMO) via his lulu page.

The link is: http://stores.lulu.com/booksbytomo

To cut back on piracy, the book will only be available in paperback.

Release date early June.

-J.
Hmmm. The link was working 5 minutes ago. Maybe lulu is having a day?

-J.
The link worked for me. Thanks!

Cheers,
Allan
Gee....I'd be interested in something called NAKED mentalism :) Sounds a little like Naked On A Beach :)
It's not available yet...Who is this guy? And what is his contact info?
Slim,
I knew YOU would be interested. The man is Jon Thompson, as stated above :) He is not too active here, but on other forums he is easily accessible ( via our friends at the MS).

I'm not sure how "naked" you are on the beach, but this cat goes in his birthday suit, all the way. You may contact me for his email if you wish.

To be quite honest, I had not really heard of TOMO before, though I always gained a lot from his unique insights and perspectives regarding mentalism. I was given the material with the caveat that I would use it before commenting, and only then, that I would be honest with my review; good or bad.

When Jon shared his Naked Mentalism book with me, upon first reading, I was astounded. The wealth of information, its richness, the way he laid it out, and its effectiveness made me a shoe in. I have no problem standing behind this material 100%. I use it. I used it tonight at the Living Traditions Festival in SLC. It was a hit all night. I booked the gig by performing the Naked Book Test for an agent OVER THE PHONE. I resolved to only use material from this new work in my performance this evening. It was more than enough, and I carried only a PW and some keys as backup. I bent two keys and used the wallet twice. The rest was propless, "Naked Mentalism".

I expect there to be a lot of praise and acknowledgement for this man and his very fine work. Even if you are an experienced professional and use psy. forces, there is MUCH to gain from his book. The bottom line is this . . . learning and using the material and insights from his book has made me a better (more equiped) mentalist. What more can we ask for???

I'll tell you right now, if I were to come up with the Naked Book Test on my own, I would not release it. I have my own interesting takes on his work, but this particular piece goes above and beyond anything I expected. I applaud him for both his thinking and his application of somewhat esoteric principles. They are fabulous.

Hype is all too familiar these days. I know this as both a purchaser and creator of magic and mentalism routines. If someone else were to spill these same words, I would be rather skeptical. I trust that my credibility here as an artist and performer holds some weight. The fact is, the material is top notch, more than useable (it is practical) and I believe, can take your performances to yet another level, much like Banachek's PS1 did when it first came out. This is revolutionary work TO ME, and I have a wee bit of experience with these things ;)

So, if one already owns and uses material from PS1 and 2, will there be anything of value??? Hell yes.

Jon has not asked me to comment, I asked permission and took it upon myself. The community deserves to know about something that will enhance their work. I'm happy to see that he is offering it himself, and that it will not be another magic shop trend. Those who are interested know who to contact and how. If you have questions, I am happy to answer them to the very best of my ability, or direct you to the creator himself via email.

I'll throw this in as an additional teaser though . . . for the Naked Book Test (my favorite item in the book), YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A BOOK!!! It can be a thought of word after some practice, application and experience.

Best,
Jerome Finley.
This book sounds great! The Naked book test sounds amazing....

looking foward to it

Aidan
I sounds like I will be adding to my books collection yet again, sounds like a great book.

John
I love this kind of stuff and am eagerly looking forward to its release. Thank you for the heads up.

Elliott
Its on the site now...
OK Fish...I'll bite. :)
I already did. :hungry:
Did it taste like pie?
No, not pie. ;)
I bought this a few hours ago!! I've been waiting for this....Now everyone knows!
I often perform this brand of mentalism and below is a link to a professional photograph of me performing:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=475496434&context=set-72157594420896766&size=o
How is the book?
Ask again in 2 weeks, after it arrives. ;)
We have to wait two whole weeks?
From the order confirmation: "Printed items will ship 3-5 business days after your order" And if you are in the US and did not select a faster shipping service, it takes about one week for shipping (personal exerience).

There is a link on your receipt email to find out how long it will take to receive your order.

Tony
Ah. Gotcha. I thought it was some kind of pre-order (which I hate). I think I will wait for some reviews. Sounds great, don't get me wrong, I just want a few opinions.
Anyone received a copy yet ?
My copy was just shipped. I think I ordered it two days. I'll write up my first impression of the booklet the day I receive it. Not withstanding if something were to arise between then and now.

/paul.f
Mine was shipped today as well. It will take me longer to review it, I have a huge stack of material I have to read first.
[quote]
On 2007-06-06 13:30, equivoque wrote:
I often perform this brand of mentalism and below is a link to a professional photograph of me performing:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=475496434&context=set-72157594420896766&size=o
[/quote]

I won't ask where you keep your billets.
[quote]
On 2007-06-11 22:17, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Mine was shipped today as well. It will take me longer to review it, I have a huge stack of material I have to read first.
[/quote]

Not to mention that new book you have to finish writing as well ;)
Just seen that mine has shipped today too....hope it doesn't take too long to get it!
Oops....it shipped yesterday!
Mine has also shipped and seeing as I'm in the UK hopefully I will have it in a day or two, I will post some info and my first impressions after ive had a thorough read through and played around with some of it.
I read through it all this morning. I have a guest and can't go into any detail right now, but it's wonderful.
I can't wait to hear more reviews of this book. You know in a funny way I think I might was had soemthing to do w/ Jon writing this book. More then 6 months ago I was on another forum w/ Jon asking about very, very impromptu mentalism and can be done w/ littl if any props. And low and behold he writes Naked Mentalism.

Thanx Jon Thompson!!!!
I recieved this this morning and have read it fully and been coming back to it all through out the day. The book itself is very nice with a feel of quality to it, and overall it has a very nice look and feel. So far I'm extremely happy with what this book contains and this is the type of material ive been wanting for. I have not spent enough time with the book to go over everything in detail, but I couldn't resist the urge to give a little something a try. I put together a little something using what little I had learnt at that point and the result was excellent, even though it was something quick I just kinda threw together, it worked incredibly well and so I can safely say I'm impressed with this and look forward to delving deeper into what the book contains.
I'm so excited that people are starting to receive and read this! I've been re-reading it myself lately and I always gain so much from it. I really believe Jon did an excellent thing with this work. I'm just as excited about the books release as he is, lol! I feel it will help take psychological/statistical forces to yet another level.

Best,
J.
My copy should arrive soon...I can't wait!
I'm glad to see people are happy w/ this new book. It's going to be a week or so before I can order mine.

I had 2 questions though:
1.)What is this "Naked Coin Prediction"?

2.)Is the Book Test spoken of in here a routine that can really only be performed over the phone or something? I like progressive amagrams but I get the impression to do this effect you'll need to be looking at a long list.
E.C,
No anagram is used for the Naked BT!!! I do it in person all the time now; no long lists in front of me, etc. It's all in my head . . . The beauty is that it CAN be done over the phone, but that is far from necessary; it plays just as strong in person. It's a principle I have never seen used in a book test before.

The Naked Coin Prediction is a date revelation on a freely chosen coin.

I look forward to more reviews, so I don't seem like the only one who absolutely loves this book and material!!!

Best,
J.
[quote]
On 2007-06-14 19:55, TT2 wrote:
E.C,
No anagram is used for the Naked BT!!! I do it in person all the time now; no long lists in front of me, etc. It's all in my head . . . The beauty is that it CAN be done over the phone, but that is far from necessary; it plays just as strong in person. It's a principle I have never seen used in a book test before.

The Naked Coin Prediction is a date revelation on a freely chosen coin.

I look forward to more reviews, so I don't seem like the only one who absolutely loves this book and material!!!

Best,
J.
[/quote]

Thanx a lot for the reply J. Even though I like Anagrams I really must say I'm happy to hear that this Naked Book Test doesn't use them. And this Coin Prediction also sound interesting. Can't wait for more reviews and my copy!

Thanx!
It should maybe be said that a progressive anagram is offered at one point, but it is your choice whether to use it or not. I think that one method offered is much better, and, if you put time into it, will give you a larger hit ratio.

A person willing to perform this easily could well within a week's time. (I am very proud of that sentence)

It should be said that the coin method is not of any use if you live in the United States. It works in the United Kingdom, but it may or may not work in any other countries. I can't say.

Don't let this deter anyone from purchasing this. Everything else in this book was completely compelling and will be of the utmost use to you.

/paul.f
Thanx for the extra info Paul!

But all in all the main tools used here are "principles", right? I am really looking for routines that use no props what's so ever. This book fits that right?
The Naked Book Test is an excellent routine. You don't need a book even, just have them think of a word.

The principles taught in the beginning can easily be applied to making a routine on your own. Example routines using the information are given. It would be best if you made your own. Not only would it fit who you are, but they would also create a larger impact. With the example routines along everything Jon offers you, this will be very simple for you to do, and in a very short amount of time.

At least, I've found that it's always easier to memorize a script if I've written it for myself from the ground up.

/paul.f
Thanx to everyone for writing and reviewing Naked Mentalism. I just ordered my copy and look forward to getting it.
Unfortunately I have a few "Fuzzy" ideas about the book, it's cultural base, and the timeliness of the research.
I have a suggestion to clarify the effectiveness of the Naked Book Test.
The test is easily done over the phone or internet, although I have a few doubts about it's effectiveness.
The last paragraph on page 13 has some very "Big" claims.
I suggest that Jon Thompson perform the Naked Book Test for 10 Café members so we can see what percentage of success we can expect.
This could dispell my fears and help promote the work itself.
I wouldn't ask him to do something that I wouldn't :)
[quote]
On 2007-06-16 01:19, Slim King wrote:
Unfortunately I have a few "Fuzzy" ideas about the book, it's cultural base, and the timeliness of the research.
I have a suggestion to clarify the effectiveness of the Naked Book Test.
The test is easily done over the phone or internet, although I have a few doubts about it's effectiveness.
The last paragraph on page 13 has some very "Big" claims.
I suggest that Jon Thompson perform the Naked Book Test for 10 Caf?members so we can see what percentage of success we can expect.
This could dispell my fears and help promote the work itself.
I wouldn't ask him to do something that I wouldn't :)
[/quote]

You sold the book Dave, you should not have any fears about this. Are you still using the material?
James
Slim,
Are you kidding me? If you have questions about the effectiveness of the material, there is a simple way to find out . . . PERFORM IT! It's fine to be skeptical, but to doubt the material without the willingness to test it and then to post your doubts AFTER you have sold the book is less than fair, IMO.

With the Naked Book Test, I am spot on FAR more often than I am not.

I've tested the material, I work using it. It's everything it should be.

Best,
J.
I have no intention of performing anything in the book. I would however, repurchase the book if someone could show me how effective it is. As I've said before, I could be wrong. Bottom line, I don't have much faith in research that is over 30 years old or is based on a very different locale.
TEST DRIVING the effect should be done BEFORE the product is sold. NOT BY ME.
I purchased this primarily for the over the phone book test. I used THE BOOK ITSELF as the test book. It was a LONGSHOT at best hitting the correct word. Nothing like the vision given on page 13.
I would like to see this in the real world.
I will HIDE AND WATCH on this one. Please prove me wrong and I'll be the first to buy the book twice. :)
Good Luck
Dave
Dave,
So you know, all the material in the book was tested by professionals before it was offered for release.

As for not trusting research over 30 years old . . . slang aside, how much has the english language changed in that time? Its characteristics remain the same.

I'm not arguing with you. Your experience is your experience. At the same time, I'm not here to convince you, and one less person using the material is quite fine by me.

Best,
J.
I doubt that anyone would want this to work more than I would. :) I LOVE over the phone effects!
As an example, and not to tip anything, when someone is speaking of ENTERTAINMENT the words Playstation Xbox and literally thousands of INTERNET spawned words have cropped up. XM radio and SIRIUS radio. Lots of things have happened in the last 34 years.
I certainly don't mean to argue either, and it is never popular on these threads to be negative, so I will just stick with my request to have someone DEMO this for a few Café members.
I would LIKE to be wrong about this.
Is your experience that this works more than 60% of the time?
Yes. Absolutely, my experience is that the NBT works over 60% of the time!!!

However, I'm not the person to prove it to you. This is not my material to "prove" so to speak, and I don't like working for free when I have nothing to gain. I've performed it successfully for 2 out of 2 Café members. I would be happy to give you their names in private, and you may contact them if you wish.

Anything statistical/psychological in nature is not going to be 100%. At the same time, when it hits, it's about as clean as one can get. I've put my own twists on the handling and I use it a lot. For an off the cuff demonstration that looks and feels like the real thing, I believe this effect is a GREAT one and hard to beat.

Best,
Jerome.
That does sound amazing. Did you feel the memory portion to be difficult?This would not be necessary for over the phone. Thus my attraction. I'd love to get some Café members "Feel" for the effect and their input.
Thanks for your help.
Slim,
No problem. I found the memorization to be about as easy as the memorization for MOAB.

Best,
J.
Hey, anyone want to sell me their copy of NAKED MENTALISM???? If anyone is in the Slim camp, I'll take it off your hands (I hate having to pay customs on over the border books and Lulu causes that :()...
Can someone give a review of this. Ive just orderd it and wouldnt mind knowing about the other effects.
I just got a e-mail from Lulu saying my copy has just been shipped. I'll be sure to share my thought about it when I get it. I know that some of these reviews have been kind of vague. Leaving about what you can actualy do w/ this knowledge.
I think this is a great book. the research put into it is amazing.
I'm not sure what Slim is talking about as far as "timeliness" <sp>
You are asking people to scan a page in any book and pick a four letter word.

Slim says words like " Playstation Xbox and literally thousands of INTERNET spawned words have cropped up. XM radio and SIRIUS radio"

None of those words fit the patter that you give for the target word.
It really doesn't matter if the information is 30 years old. It's a statistical fact which words will be in the book.

Now, the bad news. This book only works for the English language.
The naked coin trick is only good in England.
The book contains many,many typos and missing sentences.

I find this inexcusable. The book cost over $50, I think it could be edited a little better.

Other than that, the naked book test is great. It will take a lot of work [unless you only memorise the first word in each ****]

James
Are you saying that they can ONLY select a four letter word?
I still haven't heard from anyone who's taken part in the effect :)
I'd like to.
I am not confident with linguistical stats that were accumulated before Disney World opened :)
That's just me.
As I've stated before....I will be the first to purchase the book twice if someone can prove the reality of an amazing book test as described on page 13.
Dave,
You had the book, you should know what the contents were.

You can choose more than a four letter word, but four letter will be easier.
Please, if you can divine any four letter word that a spec picks from a random book that is good.

They are not linguistic facts, they are English grammatical facts.
It seems whenever someone puts put some book or DVD you are jealous and compare it to your stuff. The funny thing is, all your number stuff is old. Just look in Harry Lorayne's book on number magic, heck just look in Harry's "The magic book" printed in 1977.

All the experiments you did here on the Café consist of those old matrhematical effects. Even though you state on your DVD that "No one could figure them out."
That's just not true.

Math based effects are great, but Jon's work is a little deeper.

I do find it interesting that you don't know the procedure for the Naked booktest.
I thought you had the book?
I've read the book twice. I also used the booktest on itself.... I suggest you do the same.
YOU are the one who said that they pick a FOUR letter word. By questioning you I was pointing out that the book says you can pick larger or smaller words ( Although I don't think that "Seeing" a three letter word is that amazing)....Some of the words in the book are also catagorized such as Entertainment . Entertainment expressions have changed in 35 years....These are the weak area's. At least one of them.
As for your criticism of my demonstrations, I've NEVER taken credit for thinking up these Ancient math formulas....Harry Lorayne used them in his works but HE didn't invent them either. My influences pre-date
your example by at least 21 years....Martin Gardners Mathematics,, Magic and Mystery. If you're going to slag me (And I'm not sure why you are doing it on this thread?)...then get your facts straight. I use age old mathematical principles in new ways or in new routines. I've performed them successfully for dozens of Café members BEFORE they are released. As far as I know this has been performed for no one that I know of.
The book was not for me at this time. I discounted the book by 20% or 25% and sold it to someone who might use it. Sorry, but I won't.
You can purchase T.A. Waters book Mind Myth and Magic for about the same price. I did not feel Naked Mentalism to be of the same value. I have a limited budget and $59.00 is a bit of cash to lay out for me.
Some very big claims were made for this book. I didn't find them substanciated (sp).
I would have said very little about it if you hadn't started Slagging me over this.
I don't work in English, so I never tried the Naked Booktest. I've seen a similar concept in Kenton Knepper's Mindreading manuscript, and I find the approach fascinating.

The best part of this book, for me, was the analysis of psychological forces and why they work the way they do. It makes it easier to design forces of my own, or tweak presentations of effects like Between the Lines.

With the kind of information Jon lays out, you can do revelations similar to Banachek's Brain Game, where you not only reveal a thought, but the entire thought proces behind it.

It's not an effect in itself, but that's strong and worthwhile stuff for me. Your mileage may vary.
[quote]
On 2007-06-26 09:14, Slim King wrote:
I've read the book twice. I also used the booktest on itself.... I suggest you do the same.
YOU are the one who said that they pick a FOUR letter word. By questioning you I was pointing out that the book says you can pick larger or smaller words
[/quote]

Ok, whatever that means. By questioning ME you were pointing out the book says you can pick larger words.

[quote]
( Although I don't think that "Seeing" a three letter word is that amazing)....Some of the words in the book are also catagorized such as Entertainment . Entertainment expressions have changed in 35 years....These are the weak area's. At least one of them.
[/quote]

Dave, you are talking about two different effects. The words in the beginning are not the naked booktest. The naked booktest only has words beginnning with ....
You are confusing the data at the beginning of the book with the naked booktest.

[quote]
You can purchase T.A. Waters book Mind Myth and Magic for about the same price. I did not feel Naked Mentalism to be of the same value. I have a limited budget and $59.00 is a bit of cash to lay out for me.
[quote]

If you feel it's not for you that's fine, but for you to compare it to what you do on the Café and say it's not good is ridiculous.

[quote]
Some very big claims were made for this book. I didn't find them substanciated (sp).
I would have said very little about it if you hadn't started Slagging me over this.
[/quote]

That would be slagging with a capital "S" right? It's certainly better for you to write why you don't like a book than to just say it's bad and that's all.

I really like it. I plan on putting in the memory work needed and start using it.
James
I'm getting this book. Sounds right up my street.
I've never said "It's not good"...You are simply putting words in my mouth. The premice is great.....but to me, the information is dated or very based in English english.
I just asked for it to be performed in the real world. just a request. I never compared it to anything I've done until you brought it up. And you said I was jelous....yea right. Why all the name calling and BS when I simply just said the book was not for me and I'd like to hear from someone who has experienced the effect.
You've been slaging me, calling me jelous and a bunch of crap.
Is this all because I questioned your attempted sale of Tea with Jack and Alice?
[quote]
On 2007-06-26 14:04, Slim King wrote:
I've never said "It's not good"...You are simply putting words in my mouth. The premice is great.....but to me, the information is dated or very based in English english.
I just asked for it to be performed in the real world. just a request. I never compared it to anything I've done until you brought it up. And you said I was jelous....yea right. Why all the name calling and BS when I simply just said the book was not for me and I'd like to hear from someone who has experienced the effect.
You've been slaging me, calling me jelous and a bunch of crap.
Is this all because I questioned your attempted sale of Tea with Jack and Alice?
[/quote]

LOL, it's always about YOU Dave, right?
Hmmm....There seems to be quite a bit a discussion about this book. I really don't want to get involved in all that. But what I want to share is that I've just got the book. Read through it in one day and was disappointed. I was really looking forward to this little gem. Even put off filming my Promo DVD just so I could learn a routine or something from this book to perform on it...But I won't be performing anything from it. Yes! it does have some good advice about Psychological Forces but not much more then what Banachek teaches.

The Naked Book Test is Okay -- but not for me. It seems to have weaknesses. I almost get the feeling that if this was performed for some people that they may not know how it's done -- but they will get the idea behind how it's done. You you know what I mean?

In short I was really hoping for something more. Especially for the price! Luke Jermay has a DVD coming out on Psychological Forces w/ a 100% out that I am really looking forward to. AND it'd be cheaper then this book! I'm sorry Jon this just wasn't all that.
Wait a minute.... you were going to try out a new routine for your promo video?
Do your best stuff, get reaction shots from the audience. Geez.
-Woodfield
For what it's worth, I've tried the NBT 6 times now, and hit on four of them.

But are these results statisticatlly significant? Hmmm...

God I wish I was good at statistics sometimes.

I think it would be handy for anyone interested in the efficacy of this effect for the rest of us to record our hit and miss frequencies and then publish them here (rather than rely on just our memories).

Wouldn't it be great if we could develop a mass of data on this to number crunch?

I'm interested to find out about how effective others find this, but only in precise terms - i.e. numbers.

I'll update when I've tried it a few more times.

Trouble is, I'm doing it by instant messaging and phone before I decide whether to go to the effort of getting this thing presentable of doing face to face - which would in turn allow me to try it more often, and increase the validity/reliability of my statistics.

Oh, the joy of statistics.

Yes, there are weaknesses with this effect, but with a bit of thought and/or skill (and I lack skill) you can plan ahead to compensate for them, if you dig what I'm sayin'.

Over and out.
It's good to see someone actually USING the material before offering a comment. Sheesh. 4 out of 6 times is about what I'm getting as well. Also, when I'm off, it's usually not by much.

I still find the material exceptional, but then again, I'm out there USING it. It's hard to tell how something will play after just a reading.

Best,
J.
The key to the book test is to pick 30-year old English novels. ;)
In accordance with TT2, and to repeat my previous post, lets please have some statistics from you people USING the NBT, on how often you hit and miss.

And lets keep our scripting tight, in order to increase our hit frequencies - It makes a difference. The misses I had were because of bad scripting.
For sooths sake don't use a book by Shakespeare.
[quote]
On 2007-06-27 14:22, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The key to the book test is to pick 30-year old English novels. ;)
[/quote]

YESSS!!!! Finally, an excuse to do a book test with the [i]Hitchhiker's Guide[/i]!
You could do the test with Jon's book, but don't limit it to the right-hand pages. It won't work well, if you limit it to the left pages, you are almost guaranteed success.

HHGTTG might be the perfect book.
Hello one and all.

Can I just point out that the model underpinning the Naked Book Test is based on a recent analysis of the British National Corpus containing 100 million words of written English, not 30-year-old research. The study upon which I based section 1, psychological forces, is that old, but is still valid. The responses people give haven’t changed in 30 years because we’re still talking about and imagining the same concepts we were 30 years ago regardless of what else has happened. I think it's more a case that we've expanded on our experiences, rather than replaced them.

I look forward to you guys posting your experiences of using my material, even if it does make me rather nervous. All I ask is that you don't do it cynically to try to disprove it, or try to leap into it without proper study, or it will detract from you as a performer... So, bring your psychological skills to bear, think about how to minimize your misses and maximize your hits, have fun, and enjoy yourselves.

Cheers,

Jon.
Can someone tellme more abozt the exact content of the book?

Thanks

Markus
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 12:42, Mentalism wrote:
Can someone tellme more abozt the exact content of the book?

Thanks

Markus
[/quote]
Hi Markus,

Sorry about the delay in replying.

The book splits into four distinct sections. First is a full exploration of the hows and whys of psychological forces. It shows how and where to find them and how to judge their reliability, as well as giving a wide range of example data. It then gives an extensive list of applications for them and also supplies all-important advice and methods of handling misses and pain-in-the-ass spectators. Section two is the infamous Naked Book Test (nuff said). Section three is an advance on Brown's Perfect Coin Prediction that takes in any UK gold or silver coin. It's a short section, but I thought it was important to include even though it's UK specific because it gives the full story of its development, thereby showing how to find new Naked methods yourself. The final section gives some miscellaneous bits and bobs. There's also a glossary giving he full statistical model for the book test, and a large amount of data for the psychological force section, sorted in useful ways to help you develop your own more easily.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Jon.
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Jul 14, 2007 05:23PM)
Hmmm... Naturally you cannot please all, Jon.

But I suspect that people discounting most of your book really don't get what little gem they have in their hands. Maybe in a few years they will re-read it and they will know it's da bomb!

That and the sections on the statistical subtleties appear to me greatly researched and very helpful.

Also, when in a book one finds GOOD food for thoughts, to me, that book has repaid itself in its value many, many times.
[quote]
On 2007-07-14 18:23, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Hmmm... Naturally you cannot please all, Jon.

But I suspect that people discounting most of your book really don't get what little gem they have in their hands. Maybe in a few years they will re-read it and they will know it's da bomb!

That and the sections on the statistical subtleties appear to me greatly researched and very helpful.

Also, when in a book one finds GOOD food for thoughts, to me, that book has repaid itself in its value many, many times.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm still interested if anyone wants to post their results of using the Naked Book Test. Something that occurs to me is making it available as an affordable, standalone download in its own right. Would people be interested in that?
John, I definately would - pm me when this is available.
The reviews from many people seems very good.
I would like to buy the book and see if I can add some new effect to my performance,unfortunately I am a non-english speaker.
So I am really curious that does the principles in this book
suitable for non-english country's people?
Will the effects in the book work for a non-english mentalist like me?
Thanks for your kind reply
[quote]
On 2007-07-16 11:33, sychou wrote:
The reviews from many people seems very good.
I would like to buy the book and see if I can add some new effect to my performance,unfortunately I am a non-english speaker.
So I am really curious that does the principles in this book
suitable for non-english country's people?
Will the effects in the book work for a non-english mentalist like me?
Thanks for your kind reply
[/quote]
Hi Sychou,

The psychological force section should work fine. Regardless of the language used, the underlying concepts are common, and because the book shows how to find and exploit other forces, you can develop your own that are significant in other cultures too. The Naked Book Test, however, uses a sophisticated model of written English, so it's probably only going to serve as a starting point for your own version. There was a guy who was interested in developing a French version a few months ago, but I haven't talked to him for a while.
Great book Jon. I used NBT at the office AND IT KILLED! Worked 8 times out of 11 so far and I just received it a couple of days ago. Did it over the phone once and I was dead on. This is some evil stuff.

Going to look over my MOAB to see if I can work it in with it. And if so I will perform NBT w/MOAB and then do MOAB.

My actual hit rate so far is 9 times out of 12 with the one phone test I did on a friend. He didn't "even" have a clue! His exact words? WTF How in the H*** did you do that! The book he chose was a S. King novel. Don't know which S.K. novel but that makes no difference. Just love the specs reactions on this one.

Mike
That's excellent news Spaden!
Hi Jon, et al

I have just finished reading my copy and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thank you Jon!

I personally don't feel that the books inherent value was simply in the giving of new routines, effects, call them what you will. That is not to say however that there were not new ideas therein.

I found the effects detailed exciting - but not just because of what those effects were on paper, moreover because Jon's writing and detailing, gave an indication of what the effect MIGHT BE, given thought, given work, and given effort ... where an idea might lead once given one's own mark, and injected with one's own personality.

Whilst the book (in my view) covered the meat of it, it's higher value for me was in the teaching of the ways in which the food might get to the table! How it might be cooked, the results one could obtain by various methods of cooking, and the ways in which the food was gathered, packed, shipped and therefore would most likely arrive.

If you are expecting the book to hold your hand through each step, from the beginning of the thought in creating each routine, through the development and to the presentation of it, then perhaps this book would fall short of doing so for some.

If on the other hand you are looking for something which feeds thoughts and nurtures ideas, and which provokes thought and imagination, sparks maybes and what ifs? then I think you will be more than pleased with it.

An instruction booklet written simply to show how to present specific routines in mentalism? No, I don't think it is. A springboard from which to launch what you learn from it and continue to create? I think so.

Best,
*Magical Lady*
[quote]
On 2007-07-18 12:52, Magical Lady wrote:
I found the effects detailed exciting - but not just because of what those effects were on paper, moreover because Jon's writing and detailing, gave an indication of what the effect MIGHT BE, given thought, given work, and given effort ... where an idea might lead once given one's own mark, and injected with one's own personality.[/quote]
Crikey! That's absolutely where I was coming from in writing this. Spooky or what?

I'm a HUGE fan of making an effect your own, and I think omitting that extra work is possibly why books like PS1 and 2 sometimes gets flack from people saying that the forces are obvious to an intelligent audience. In my experience, making the force the focus is going to have that effect, but if you place a level of abstraction between the audience and the force, you do a lot better.

Imagine you're doing something that needs you to force a "random" number, for instance. You might use your favourite force that results in a word with the right number of letters, which you subsequently use as the number. To the audience it's a mere detail rather than the focus of the effect, so you're far more likely to get in under their radar so to speak, and produce the right result. The example in the book is that of forcing a page number from an incidental choice of fruit and veg. Or how about weaving a story that includes many of the cues for a particular target object? I think many Café members have seen a certain English mentalist apply psychological forces in this way many times (tricycle, anyone? ;) )
I can also say this book is great.. just purely for the background and thinking behind it... I can see huge potential in the uses of the method and information it contains... I've tried a few things based round the idea and had great success...

thanks Jon.. and it was great to see you at 777
[quote]
On 2007-07-19 09:53, naquada wrote:
I can also say this book is great.. just purely for the background and thinking behind it... I can see huge potential in the uses of the method and information it contains... I've tried a few things based round the idea and had great success...

thanks Jon.. and it was great to see you at 777
[/quote]
It was good meeting you too. I'm really looking forward to the next one in October. Someone else who was there emailed me today to say he'd been running with the idea of relating a dream and getting people to fill in the blanks as it were as they imagined what his dream entailed. He got a really strong response from his audience when they realised that they'd picked up on his thoughts. I'm so glad people are [i]using[/i] this stuff to get into people's heads and give them a good time. It makes it all worthwhile.
[quote]
On 2007-07-19 10:13, Jon_Thompson wrote:
It was good meeting you too. I'm really looking forward to the next one in October. Someone else who was there emailed me today to say he'd been running with the idea of relating a dream and getting people to fill in the blanks as it were as they imagined what his dream entailed. He got a really strong response from his audience when they realised that they'd picked up on his thoughts. I'm so glad people are [i]using[/i] this stuff to get into people's heads and give them a good time. It makes it all worthwhile.
[/quote]

love to make the next one but I can't I'm busy at our [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/naquada/sets/72157594335648302/]halloween party[/url] in a disused mineshaft in the forest of dean.. (and yes that's me.. fang and all) it was a tough call, but I'm sure someone checks my diary before organising these things ;) I'm on a recruitment drive tonight for the meeting in october at our local meet, and I'll also be touting your book.. ;)

I'll try and make the third one (providing theres no clash again ;) )
Magic Lady gives the most impressive review for the work.

My question would be how honest (perhaps on a purely semantic level) you could be with the audience in your routining and languaging about the explanation of how you accomplished the effect (without revealing how hard the work was that actually went into it)

Hope that question makes sense.
I'd like to ask naquada and spaden_32 (and anyone else who reports on their success with the NBT) if they are having success only using the four-letter words, or if they are hitting with longer words.

It would also be helpful (for me), for anyone else who posts on the levels of success they are having with the NBT to give statistics - as spaden_32 kindly did.

Thanks
[quote]
On 2007-07-19 16:08, MagicPenguin wrote:
Magic Lady gives the most impressive review for the work.

My question would be how honest (perhaps on a purely semantic level) you could be with the audience in your routining and languaging about the explanation of how you accomplished the effect (without revealing how hard the work was that actually went into it)

Hope that question makes sense.
[/quote]
If I've read you right, the answer is that this is Naked mentalism; you can give whatever explanation to your audience you like because there's no apparent method to the results you achieve.

In the book, I use the example of explaining that I'm not a psychic but that I'm going to attempt to replicate aspects of what a psychic might do using my mind alone. This covers a spectrum of belief, from those who think psychics use their inbuilt intuition through to those who believe there's some external agency in play, and all points in between. I let them find their own meaning after that because spectator explanations are always so much more inventive (and sometimes very amusing too!). And let's face it, if you have a spec who's determined to believe you have some form of supernatural ability, nothing you say or do will change that.
Hi Olly.

I have only done this with the 4 letter words so far.
Not sure when or if I will try much longer words than 5 for a
while as I just blend them in with other longer word tests.

If I ever do try the longer words in TNBT I will post my per-
centages with them.
I'm thinking that "Naked mentalism" and a version of "Between the lines" would be
a lot of hits.

Michael Murray and Jon Tompson get together guys!!
Something that occurs to me is making it available as an affordable, standalone download in its own right. Would people be interested in that?

[/quote]

I would be very interested!
Well, the standalone full scripted Naked Book Test is now well into development. It's nearly ready for the beta testers, in fact. It's very robust, producing great hits from the absolute minimum of information. The big thing has been to create a model that doesn't require you learn a script the size of Hamlet.

Xiqual, I missed your post somehow. I think it'd be an interesting idea to get in touch with Michael Murray. I don't have Between The Lines, but from the reviews and friends who have it, I like the way he thinks.
[quote]
On 2007-08-27 06:09, Jon_Thompson wrote:
'The big thing has been to create a model that doesn't require you learn a script the size of Hamlet.
[/quote]

Jon, are you saying that this download thingy will be different to what's in the book? Has it been streamlined in some way? And have you added to the script somehow?

I still haven't committed the NBT to memory - coz it is a lot to learn!

Olly
[quote]Jon, are you saying that this download thingy will be different to what's in the book? Has it been streamlined in some way? And have you added to the script somehow?[/quote]
Yes, it's a new application for the NBT data model.

The idea is to lower the bar somewhat on the amount of thinking you need to do. The actual technique it uses is something I'm going cover in depth in volume 2 of Naked Mentalism. The script is for people who want to wash and go, so to speak.
Great - I hate having to think.
Well, I finally finished the script. I'm off to have that nervous collapse I've been promising myself...
Quick heads up: volume 3 is "getting there".

ETA: ASAP
Define, ASAP. ;)
[quote]
On 2011-08-24 13:27, DekEl wrote:
Define, ASAP. ;)
[/quote]
Hopefully before the end of September. ;)
Maybe I'm getting over excited about Naked Mentalism 3, but I've just reduced the price of the printed edition of the first two volumes by £5 each in anticipation...
Will I need to purchase all 3 or is the 3rd one a compilation of 2&3 with additional material ?
Hi NFW (great username),

The third volume is completely new material. Volume 2 expands on the first section of volume 2, but volume 3 is standalone.
Thanks for the update Jon - yes the username does get a few laughs !
[quote]
On Jun 27, 2007, Jerome Finley wrote:
It's good to see someone actually USING the material before offering a comment. Sheesh. 4 out of 6 times is about what I'm getting as well. Also, when I'm off, it's usually not by much.

I still find the material exceptional, but then again, I'm out there USING it. It's hard to tell how something will play after just a reading.

Best,
J.
[/quote]

Naked Mentalism has now been out for 7 years or so. Curious if anyone is using any of the material regularly, in particular for close-up, one-on-one mentalism? Are there specific routines you like and recommend?

I've been thinking about getting this book (or perhaps the three book set) for a while now, but am still on the fence.
I use the magazine prediction from Volume 3 all the time!

Volume 2 has been invaluable to me when working out new routines and the book test from Volume 1 is something I use over the phone all the time.

I would not hesitate in buying them all and directly from Tomo himself.

Cheers
Art
[quote]
On Mar 10, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:
I use the magazine prediction from Volume 3 all the time!

Volume 2 has been invaluable to me when working out new routines and the book test from Volume 1 is something I use over the phone all the time.

I would not hesitate in buying them all and directly from Tomo himself.

Cheers
Art
[/quote]

Thank you very much, Art.
Message: Posted by: count_cashliostro (Mar 13, 2014 12:11AM)
I use the b**k t**t regularly in impromptu situations. It either goes well, or... not. I never care whether I get things right or not though, because mindreading is not an exact science.
In case anyone is interested, these books are now half off on Lulu.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=naked+mentalism&type=