(Close Window)
Topic: Everyday tasks that look magical
This is a interesting topic to pursue.many have seen people do things at their work places & homes that appear to be magical ,be nice to hear other storys simular to this one... A buddy & I were touring the oilfeilds in Evansville IN.we came across a oil lease operator starting up his Fairbanks Morse ZC-208 on a Churchill pumping unit.We watched him turn on the gas from a large propane tank then he cranked over the engine,and it started.The operator ran the engine for a few minutes,and when the engine ran as if it was getting too much fuel he turned off the propane tank then pulled off the hose from the carburetor,and dropped it to the ground ,the engine appeared to run on its own? only other source of fuel to be had was a hose that led to the frame of the pumping unit with no aparent connection to anny other tank.My buddy was amazed at what the operator did.if anny one knows about these systems you can figure out where the source of fuel is comming from to run the engine.kinda neat to see magical illusions in everyday things
One optical illusion I've encountered occurs when pulling into a parking space and stopping while someone else starts pulling out AT THE EXACT SAME TIME YOU COME TO A STOP(Very important). In that one instant, the illusion from your standpoint is that you are still moving forward. You won't believe how many times I've pushed down on the brake even harder because I thought I was still moving! It's a freaky feeling when it happens.
Clynim I know that one it happened to me last month at walmart in the parking lot.
to see someone do a task so easy that you have no idea of how it`s done is like a form of magic,I see freinds look at me amazed when I get a old mower from the Junk & spend 2 to 3 minutes of fiddling with it to get it running
How about when your train pulls into the station and stops just as the train next to you starts moving? It feels like your train is still moving. Weird feeling, especially since a train is such a big, honking machine.
I was watching something on TV the other night (maybe the news? I cant remember), and there was a cargo van parked on the side of the road. The out of the blue another van, exactly the same, melted out of it and drove off. The van I saw was totally blocking the view of the van in front of it. It looked like the first production in Sankey's Cartesian Coins. I tivo'd it and showed all my roomates. haha.
Neat things ,I`v experienced the other train moving when riding the amtrack,you also experience a sense of moving whwn stopped at a RXR crossing watching a train pass. the vans pulling out cool to I seen that with 2 ups trucks at a busy intersection,what really is funny is that you park next to a car just like yours ,I did that back in 1986 with my 1969 Chrysler newport at the mall.
hope to hear more storys on illusions in everyday life.
If you've ever been in a corporate office where they have those big mirror panels that go all the way to an outside corner, you can have lots of fun with them. If someone bends down so you can't see their head, their rear is duplicated and looks like a reverse pushme-pullyou. And, of course, you can stand straight up so the edge bisects your body, and if you look inward you look cross-eyed, and if you raise your visible leg it looks like you've raised both legs. Fun stuff.
Some of my favorite 'daily magics' are the things that happen randomly to all of us every once in awhile. Things you could never repeat in a million years.

You know, like when you drop a quarter and can't find it only to discover it later in your pants cuff. Or you knock your soda can with your elbow and manage somehow to spin around and grab it just as it shoots off the edge of the table. Then there's the one where you can't find your glasses and find out they've been on top of your head the whole time.

Once I dropped a book and as my wife fumbled to catch it, she dropped her book, too. I was also fumbling to catch mine, and we ended up somehow catching each others' books. We laughed because we were sure it must have looked like a clown juggling routine. Too bad we didn't have an audience!

I pulled a rolled-up sock out of the bottom of my sock drawer once, and when I unrolled it I found a tile that had been missing from our Scrabble game for two years. I have no idea how it got in there, but it sure surprised me. And we could finally play Scrabble again. (Speaking of socks, just where do all the missing ones from the dryer go? Poof! Now that's magic!)

Then there was the time we moved out of a house, and I made a 'final inspection' to make sure we hadn't left anything behind. There was a dust bunny along one wall, and for some weird reason I felt compelled to inspect it. Inside was my wedding ring! I hadn't even missed it, but apparently the cat had knocked it off the dresser and it had rolled into the dust bunny. It reminded me of the 'bill in lemon' trick. I think maybe my guardian angel had something to do with that one!
I remember my first visit to the Bellagio in Vegas and entered the "outdoor" square or park. For 15 or 20 minutes, I looked around...amazed that they could have such a large room, open to the sky, in the middle of the building...yet something didn't seem quite right. When I realized that the sky was really a ceiling that looked like sky, I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that it took me so long to realizing what was really going on.
How about photos like this one?

[img]http://www.boredstop.com/imgp/448b5b6726266_s.jpg[/img]
Ever visit Hershey Park in Hershey Pa? Well if you take the tour through Choclate World as you exit the car you were in you cannot tell what is moving the platform or the car. Very disoreinting for first timers. Many people actually need help.
Randomly things are trully amazing ,My boss threw a empty quart oil bottle 50 feet twards the garage ,and to our amazement it stood upright on the step by the door we could throw it a thousand times after that ,and never see it do that again.the boat pic Airship put on appears to be above the water ths light & the beautifil clear water has a play in that ,that scene looks very inviting to us in january here.the funny thing about finding lost items around the home.You usually find a item you looked for last week when you look for another item you just lost.Just as airship did with the scrabble tile.some neat storys appearing in this thread ,like to see more.
happy day to all out there
Chuck
I love how you can look, and look, and look for something, yet you never find it until the last place you look!

Okay... think about it... :D
Very true ,the looking takes a lot longer whan you have a lot of stuff like I do LOL.My engine show buddy Richard has 10 times the stuff I do so he spends a lot more time looking.today while dtiving I saw the most common illusion you see the heat rising off the road looking like water flooding across the road.
A similar "illusion" that's interesting is when you open the door to a car that's been in the heat. When you look down on the ground, under the right conditions, you can actually see the waves of heat as they're pouring out of the car. It's the only way you can actually see it.

As for the guy who saw the Belagio ceiling, that would be how I'd imagine the scene in the main dining hall at Hogwarts Academy in the Harry Potter series.
In a city I lived in, there was a hill called "Magnetic Hill" where you could turn off your car and you will ride right up the hill. It's an illusion though.
[quote]
On 2007-05-30 18:24, acesover wrote:
Ever visit Hershey Park in Hershey Pa? Well if you take the tour through Choclate World as you exit the car you were in you cannot tell what is moving the platform or the car. Very disoreinting for first timers. Many people actually need help.
[/quote]

Ah, yes!
A fellow worker was looking all over for his eyeglasses.
To his surprise, I pointed out that they were on his head.
What I hate is rare times when the thing your looking for is tightly gipped in your hand as you hunt around for it and the thing you think that you have in your hand is actually what you should be on the look out for! LOL! ;)
Sometimes I have what I`m loking for in my pocket LOL.one thing I do sometimes is walk inside to get a soda and set a screw driver down some where along the way & not take note where I put it.I have heard of magnetic hill actually the grade falls & its the trees & landscape that looks like your going up ,the watery look of heat rising can be see from many things kinda like your night dreams when every thing is cloudy.
some interesting things shared on here ,nice work guys
My friend and I were talking on our cell phones (we don't have a need for house phones). He was getting ready to leave his house for a meeting and then he started freaking out cause he couldn't find his phone anywhere, this went on for about five minutes, at first I thought it was a joke, but the he said "man, I'm the biggest idiot in the world"
Woa it sounds like someone I know LOL,we all have idiot moments,& I`m no wxception,when you are really busy & burnt out on the weeks dewlings you can loose things ,I`m glad things slow down sometimes to relax & recharge.having a lot on your mind can make you spacy & not intune to what your doing ,the past months I have been like that with a relationship I have some dificulty with,it has slowed down some ,the other person has issues they are dealing with ,I hope all works out for them,you & I ,faith in yourself & the man upstairs helps
Ever poured yourself a drink and the glass started to move across the counter as if on it's own?
Yes I`v did that before ,the glass skates on a film of water,theres another magical looking thing you see in the kitchen ,when your dish cloth dripps it shoots balls of water that go across the sink bowl & part way up the other side
Chuck
The way the plastic from a packet of cigarettes dances along your arm.
The 11th or 21st cigarette that appears in a empty packet.
A beer matt sticks to your glass.
A spoon moves a quarter of a turn in a dessert pot for no reason.
The dryer sheet or sock that appears suddenly in your sleeve.
Opening a book to exactly the page you wanted.
You're talking about an old, obscure song, then you turn on the radio and it's playing.
Tossing three 7's in a row in craps, or letting a number bet ride in roulette and actually hitting it.
Making someone laugh so hard that milk shoots out their nose.
Thinking about someone, the phone rings and it's them.
Doing an involved trick, but having their chosen card come up on the first, impossible 'false' reveal, so you can just cut the trick short and take your bow to thunderous applause. (Hey, it happens!)
Oh, and when you lose something, and you are about to look somewhere but you skip it thinking it's not there. After hours, or even days of looking, it's in the place you skipped!
I have a second story office that faces a busy street, lot's of traffic all day long. Sometimes when I look out the window & the traffic stops, I feel like the building is moving.

:dizzy:

Mike
One unusual trick that I did years ago was to get an egg to stand on its pointed end. I actually have pictures of it somewhere. NO, I did not do it during a full moon, Solar Eclipse, Solstice or Equinox.
Neat things guys .share more,I have actually did the egg thing years ago ,you do need a little salt
I did it without salt. Just stood the egg on its end and VERY CAREFULLY removed my hands. Did it because of an urban legend or folk tale that said it could only be done during one of the sun's quarterly milestones, such as a solstice or equinox.
Back when they made eight track tapes, I was listening to a Rod Stewart song. I arrived at my work in the middle of the song but turned off the car and left. When I finished work that night, I started up the car and the song resumed. I turned a corner and the eight track tape fell out of the player onto the floor, BUT THE SONG KEPT PLAYING! I was momentarily dazed and confused. The more I realized what was happening the more confused I got, I could feel the hair on the back of my neck standing up. Then I realized that I had ejected the tape when I left the car, and it just happened that the radio station that was on was playing that same song and I had turned on the car at just about the place it was playing on the tape. Just on of those moments I will always remember.
Kinda cool the spin of the earth during those days ,will have to see if it works here.The radio & 8 track story a good one I had a simular thing with playing a song on my cassette player/radio boom box one year.good storys there
The earth's spin, the position of the moon, the time of the equinox, et.al, have NOTHING to do with (a) standing an egg on end, or (b) which way the water drains from a basin. That's science. Now, what you can CONVINCE people of is quite another thing. There is apparently a good business being done by natives who live near the equator in showing tourists how water drains differently on one side of the equator versus the other, even in places that are actually several miles from the equator. :)
I found that it can be done at any time. It does take great care to get it to balance properly, but it can be done. Just make sure you don't use an egg with a blemish like a little bump on the pointy end.

As for the water flushing different directions, that reminded me of the Simpsons episode where Bart went to Australia and the American Embassy there had set up a toilet that forced the water to turn in the "American" direction. Absolutely hilarious! :hysteric:
You must find a unseen dimple at that end & the yolk settles to a balanced place it will work ,I expermented last night with several eggs,cool thing to share.
the water swirling is like a gyro which is sort of magical in its simplicity ,the Gyro was & still is a facinating machine to tinker with.the blower wheel in a large walk behind leaf blower my boss purched puzzled him when he tryed to turn it sideways he complained that he had to fight it ,I told him it was the gyro efect like the toy gyros we played with,theres many things to share on this subject ,turning out to be a good thread
One of the biggest magical items everone has around the house.they are all over many peoples referigerators!!!!.Electrical generators will not work with out them LOL

Magnets
http://o.pticalillusions.com/3d-sidewalk-art/
Hi TKE I have seen those cool pics before would be neat to see them in person,I did see a local building thet had windows painted on the flat wall & looks like they are really there
[quote]
On 2007-06-01 17:08, airship wrote:
I love how you can look, and look, and look for something, yet you never find it until the last place you look!

Okay... think about it... :D
[/quote]

It's always in the last place you look because when you've found it, you stop looking. My Dad always used to say that in exasperation, "Why is it always in the last place you look!?" and I could never convince him that this was why.

Why does dropped toast always land buttered side down, though? Is it Mr Murphy at work again?
That's true even when you have the jellly on the toast LOL the Murphy`s law on dropping things they fall in the mosr unlikly place or seem to totally vanish ,when I loose a bolt to some machine I tell my boss I did a magic trick & performed a good vanish act!! LOL
[quote]
On 2007-06-06 17:04, Jaz wrote:
Ever poured yourself a drink and the glass started to move across the counter as if on it's own?

[/quote]

Yup! I was so drunk I thought I was the barman! He moved my glass outta the way as I poured the jack. Didn't even see the little creep.

M:C
I once hitched a ride for several days on the back of a pick-up truck so had the chance to test this out a lot. If you stare out the rear for a long time, when the truck stops and you get out, everything about you moves (or appears to). Verrry freaky - kinda like that spiral head-shrink I guess.

You can also sometimes get that "magic eye" effect by staring at chicken-wire. When you go to touch it, it's not where you think it is.
I have expereinced the magic eye effect with looking up at the cloths line with the blue sky behind & tryed to clip the cloths pin back onto the rope to find me clipping the air in front of it LOL for some reason with the chicken wire or cloths line rope you loose your depth perception.
One time I was doing the classic "Find your card" trick for one of my friends. I used a key card, and was going to flip cards off the top of the deck until I came to their card. So I start flipping cards off the top of the deck, and get about 4/5 of the way through the deck, and haven't seen my key card. I'm freaking out in my mind because I had never gone that far in the deck without hitting my card. I keep flipping cards until eventually there are 2 cards left. By this time, I think I've completely messed the trick up, and figure I may as well flip the last 2 cards. However, to my (and my spectator's) suprize, their card is on the bottom of the deck! I didn't control the card there, it just randomly went there during a shuffle! Now THAT's magic!
You had about a 2% chance of that happening, BD. 1 in 52. So if you do just one card trick every day, you'll have it show up that way about once every six weeks. If you add in the top of the deck (since that's just as surprising), that's about 4%, or once every three weeks.

If you think about it, any random cut has a 2% chance of being right, or 4% if you think of both the top and bottom cards at the place you cut to. About a 1/25 chance to be right! For awhile there, I did a random cut to 'find the card' every time before I used the actual method. Sometimes I'd cut to the key card, and could bluff my way to a fancy reveal - that's a 6% effectiveness rate, or 1/17. But if it didn't work at all, I'd say "Well, it looks like I'll have to do this the hard way" and revert back to the actual method.

It's a real reputation-maker when you're right, and doesn't do you any harm if you're wrong.
The fantasma gimicked cards really neat.Easy effects obtained by amatures of magic like me LOL. theres a magical effect that can be dangerous!!! lifting up the deflector plate on a murray or sears rider deck(those 2 brands have a large opening above the blade tops) with the blades engaged ,and it looks like theres no blades there.until you get into them like someone did years ago,and has no fingers now a sad thing to happen. I`m totally aware of the danger & keep clear all times.Same is true with airplane propellers. A invisable danger!!