(Close Window)
Topic: Vanishing ketchup
Hey everyone!

I do a vanishing ketchup routine with a neilsen bottle. I am trying to find a REAL one...gladd 14 oz ketchup with the heinz lable. They are getting tough to find. I have been EVERYWHERE! I found one online, but with shipping it is going to cost me about $20

anyone have any ideas that I may have overlooked? Just need this one silly prop!
What is getting hard to find? A neilsen ketchup bottle or a real bottle of ketchup?
[quote]
On 2007-05-31 01:16, Frank Starsini wrote:
What is getting hard to find? A neilsen ketchup bottle or a real bottle of ketchup?

[/quote]

A REAL glass, 14 oz bottle of heinz ketchup is getting HARD to find. I have been looking locally (Austin, TX area) for months...
Here are a couple of suggestions you might try.

1. Ask the manager of your local grocery store if he can order it for you. They have lot's of items they can order from their supplier but have limited shelf space to work with, so they have to stock accordingly.

2. While having breakfast at the local IHOP (Intl. House of Pancakes) the other day, they had those bottles on the tables. I think I have even seen them at Shoney's, etc... Check with a couple of local restaurants and see if they are using them. If so, again, talk with the manager. Maybe they'll give you one.

Good luck. Mark.
Mrunge, thanks! Great ideas! I will try this weekend. Anyone else? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
ZAK
Another suggestion is to ask the restaurant for an empty one. Even an empty one can work for your needs. If you need to, just fill it up with your stoe bought ketchup and you would be in business. I am sure they get rid of a lot of those bottles any ways.

Kyle
For all of you looking for the old smaller size bottles of ketchup, coke, etc...I found a motherload at a recent roadside stop at Cracker Barrell. And it was all at their usual friendly prices. *That last parts a joke.
Ed,

That is actually a really good idea I had not thought of. We have one near us and they probably do indeed have things like that. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle
Generally speaking from the culinary side of things, since I am a chef and restaurant manager, and aspiring magician. Most restauaruants(Chain varity) won't carry those bottles anymore for local health department, and legal reasons. Only the mom and pop places in general still carry them because they can refill them with bulk ketchup cheaper than buying new bottles. The problem is that many people were, and are getting sick with food borne illnesses from this practice. Sysco and USfoods do still carry them for those restaurants who want to risk food bourne illness and if the local health departments allow these to be purchased. They are available in Las Vegas from Sysco food service, but you would most likely need to buy a case of them. I am sure most food purveyers could get them for you, but would want you to buy at least a case(24) bottles, cost is about $35 in Vegas. You do find them in some of the chain restaurants that are a franchised concept because the individual owners make the decisions to use bulk kethup or not, however the big companies do not use them for the reasons stated. A large portion of Shonies and IHOP are franchised, that is why they were seen there. Because the market is very small at this point for this particular product I am afraid we will see its demise as a magic prop very soon, if not already. Good Hunting!
Thanks, gumbimagic, for the update. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. With all the food safety issues today, I am seeing more of the bulk "bag" condiment stations in restaurants.

Mark.