(Close Window)
Topic: Invisible candle extinguisher
Okay, maybe that's a bit misleading, but since Spangler Science sends me newsletters regularly, I thought today's email might be food for thought.
Here's a link, maybe it'll help someone generate an idea or something. I dunno..
If nothing else, it's a quick'n'easy way to make some carbon dioxide and even store it for future use, since it's density is greater than normal air.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/content/experiment/invisible-fire-extinguisher?source=eow6-6-07
I like the idea of pouring the gas to exstinguish the candle. That has to have some mileage to develop further.

Alternatively you could have a gimmicked candle lantern all set to generate the CO2 when required. The light represents the soul etc give it to a spectator to keep safe and at the appropriate juncture the candle dies.
Cool idea. Lots of posibilities :)
No way this will work.

Step one says "You'll need an adult to help you make a few of the props you'll need for the experiment." That pretty much eliminates most of us.
[quote]
On 2007-06-08 21:25, Bill Palmer wrote:
No way this will work.

Step one says "You'll need an adult to help you make a few of the props you'll need for the experiment." That pretty much eliminates most of us.

[/quote]

Bill,

You beat me to the joke. I guess this counts me out as well. Plus, if I play with fire, I might pee the bed.
Oh crap !!
Well, there goes that idea. :D
Besides, gr'ups suck.
Bill,

LOL!

But surely we're adults, just not grown ups?