(Close Window)
Topic: Reel Magic DVD Magazine
WOW... I just got done previewing an advanced copy of Reel Magic DVD Magazine. Basically it is a quarterly magazine on DVD produced by Ted Brainard (aka Kozmo). The first issue is scheduled to hit the market the beginning part of July so will be available from your favorite dealer. It is LOADED (and I do mean loaded) with great interviews (Paul Harris, Harry Lorayne, John Lovick, etc.), tricks (Dan Tong, Paul Potassy, John Lovick), tips (Garrett Thomas), reviews of product (Wayne Kawamoto and David Regal - you get to SEE items/clips of items discussed), video ads, etc. all for $10/issue. This should be an absolute NO brainer for you to purchase. It is wonderful in production, contents, historical info (from the interviews... including RARE footage of Vlado - the creator of the bill switch). The Paul Harris interview alone is worth many many times the price of admission as Paul touches on lots of interesting and some possibly controversial subjects (REALLY listen and think about what Paul says). I know issue two and three are already well under way with some superb surprises. I truly believe Reel Magic DVD Magazine will become a staple publication that you will want every issue of. HIGHLY recommended.

Tim Trono
Whaooo, sounds so good, can't wait. Kozmo does always great projects
arthur
This sounds very nice!! I will order it!
WOW-Too cool ( OK, I'm a Paul Harris nut )!!

Go here:
http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com/
They are now available at your favorite magic dealer or on http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com

thanks
koz
Or, if you order from Paul Harris's new site, you can get Reel Magazine for free if you order $50 ( free shipping and there is a 25% discount through today ).

Look: http://www.theastonishmentproject.com/

"I really want everyone at The Astonishment Project to see this interview. So here’s what I’m thinking…Anyone who helps support The Astonishment Project with an order over $50 gets one of these Reel Magic DVD Magazines for free. They normally retail for $10! Don’t forget that we still have a 25% off discount till midnight on July 9th. So make sure you take advantage of the discount AND this free gift. If you get Reel Magic Magazine anywhere else it will cost $10. Plus, no one in the magic world has ever offered so many items at such a large discount.

And to everyone who requested it, you can now pay with PayPal directly through the site. Just pick out your stuff, go through checkout and push the PayPal button. You know the rest."
Are the tricks not published before, or are they previously published? I have the DVDs by Dan Tong, Paul Potassy, and Garrett Thomas, an the Switch book already. Interviews and reviews is of cource interesting. DVD Magazine a good idea. But if it is just "reprints" of old stuff....Then I do'nt know.
The potassy bill to potato is from his set, the chop cup is from the finally set, and the switch is out of john lovicks book....

garretts column is new and never been talked about before....

the regal column is never seen before

the wayne kowamoto DVD review section is never been seen before

the lorayne interview is all new

the paul Harris interview is the first interview on video in 10 years...

Next issue there will be 2 "new" columns added....one on cards and simon lovell on things that are happening in the industry

PLUS next issue there will be more interviews , tricks and reviews...

this is the first one and for $10?...pretty good....and we are working everyday to improve it..
I'm not joking when I say I would have paid $50 for this.
Koz,

I loved it!

Look for a very positive review from one of our first time reviewers in the next issue of Street Magic.

Jamie D. Grant
Associate Ed./
Content Manager
Street Magic Magazine
Saw it too; it looks fantastic. Major kudos on this DVD Ted, et al.

JC
OK Koz, I'll try it out. Seems promising. Thanks for answering
I just ordered it. For oly $12 (S/H included), how can you say no? You can't! :)

Best,
Steve
I just started "watching" the first issue of Reel Magic. Well, first off, it's like I'm watching a "live" magazine. It's like I'm turning pages of a magazine. Does that make sense? The production is beautiful. First rate work again from Kozmo magic ( they have raised the bar in DVD production ).

OK, above I said I'd pay $50 for this. Was that a dumb thing to say considering I hadn't seen one issue yet? Maybe, but after starting to watch this, I stand by that statement.

Frist Thoughts:
John Lovick talks about his bill switch book, SWITCH - Unfolding The $100 Bill Change. John then performs his personal favorite bill swtich.

OK, I love the bill switch. I'm watching carefully. BAM-he got me. I'm not going to ruin it for folks that haven't seen it because I want you to have the same amazement I had watching it.

All I can say is-WOW. I would have paid just for this one effect ( John also teaches it ).

This is now my Bill Switch. I don't easily stop a handling I've done for many years, but this is so clean. And...it's EASY to do.

You can order John's big book SWITCH- here:
http://www.theastonishmentproject.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6912

You can order Reel Magic Quarterly from your favoirte dealer or here:
http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com
In my opinion this represents one of the best value items to ever hit the Magical Market Place! There are tricks, reviews, adverts (like on the telly, but ALL magic related!!) There's interviews, firstly with Harry Lorayne, which I found really interesting (what a nice guy he is!) & then a very interesting interview with the one & only Paul Harris, (his first filmed interview for ten years!) So if you need a "Magic Fix" then This has to be it!

Many single items could be singled out as worth the price of admission!

Best Magical Wishes

Mike Danata
I'm having such great time "thumbing through" this DVD. I can't help it, it's like a living magazine and I thumb through magazines. There are ads, interviews, and all the elements of a great magaizine.

David Regal showcases some marketted effects in a segemnt called "tricks of the trade" and he is, as usual, very funny.

Garrett Thomas ( did he lose weight? ) has a wondereful segemnt called "try this at home". I think it is the best lesson on the fake take I've ever seen.
Wow.. awesome! Subscribed for a year! since it is cheaper on shipping to overseas that way :)

btw, I came across this site called Abrapocus DVD Magic Mag http://www.abracapocusdvd.com, it sounds something like Reel Magic but no one talks about it, is it still on going or stopped? Any comments?
Very well done and a lot of fun to watch. Well worth the money. I highly recommend it.
Just got it today in the mail, sat down to have a quick peek and watched it all the way through with several stops to go, "Honey, check this out!". Very well done and the only quibble I had was the few minor authoring glitches that will show as very, very brief artifacts, do nothing to subtract from the information within, and tedb has already addressed as something they're looking into.

Face it, in a niche market where .pdfs go for astonishingly stupid prices, this is a breath of fresh air.
Got my copy yesterday and I've only had time to watch about half of it. I already subscribe to the other DVD mags that I know of (Enigma and Abracapocus) and I must say that this is so far out of their league that it wouldn't even be fair to attempt a comparison (though I will say that Enigma is a product quite worthy of attention [wish I could say the same for the joke that is Abracapocus --save your money on that one, folks!!]).

Kozmo has re-invented the video magazine and created an introductory issue that not only whets my appetite, but makes me wonder how the heck he intends to keep up with (let alone potentially outdo) what he has now laid the groundwork for with the introductory issue. His reputation and history of excellence ("Slydini - As I Recall," "LIVE At The Jailhouse," etc...) convinced me to subscribe (rather than purchase individual "issues") from the get go, and I am extremely satisfied with the material viewed so far.

Koz,
All I can say is, "WELL DONE!!" You touched on two of my all-time heroes (Harris and Lorayne) right off the bat. I can't wait to see where you take us from here (but I'd settle for a teaser of upcoming material, if you feel up to giving us a hint... ;)).

Best regards,
Evan (aka Magiguy)
We like the idea of quarterly colums...the same artist Garrett thomas) talking about different subjects so we are adding 2 more of those.....plus we will keep andrew pinards continuum, david regal "tricks of the trade' and wayne kowamoto "prime cuts"

we also have at least 2 interviews with well known artists each issue....and we will have at least one book review/ interview like the off the shelf thing we did with john lovick....

I again apologize for the authoring problems BUT still think its easy enough to navigate the show...

I appreciate you guys buying the project and we will strive to make it better and better.....

thanks
koz
After reading all of the above, I simply cannot wait to receive my copy. The torture of the wait.....ugh!
WOW!!!!! :wow:

I made my one year subscripton allready($48), and without seeing ANY traliers!
I really can't wait!
The yearly subscription is sooooooo underpriced! I'm feeling kind of guilty about ordering it.
I mean ten bucks for an issue is a steal, but $40.00 for the whole year?!

I'm in.
Not that there have been any issues...ion case you have ordered ALL orders have been shipped up to this point
Someone mentioned on another board that the menu buttons are incomplete...this is not true...however they should be MUCH easier to find.....MY FAULT we WILL fix this next issue

heres what you do

go to main menu and click on chapters...see the first 3 chapters and below that there is a main button and to the right of that is an arrow...click on the arrow and you will find the next group of chapters...

again this is my fault and I will resolve this next magazine

sorry for the inconvience

koz
I am hearing great things about this and I can't wait to get my copy in.
I just finished watching Vol. 1. It is fantanstic!

Why do magicians subscribe to magazines like "Magic Magazine" and "Genii?" My answer to this question is to have some fun. These magazines are fun reads.

Well, RMQ is a fun watch! I enjoyed the interviews very much. It's been a while since I last saw Paul Harris. Listening to Paul's comments was a lot of fun. I enjoyed listening to Harry as well.

I really like the format of the RMQ. Interviews, commercials, reviews, and tricks performed and explained. As I said before, a whole lot of fun to watch.
WOW!

In a world where life moves at the speed of light, across wire, light beams, satellite dishes, and the internet, there will come a man of great vision.

This man with nothing more than a burning desire to make the impossible possible will change the way you will look at the world of magic. When others stand idly by and say, "Why" this man will rush to action screaming, "WHY NOT!". This man, this lone wolf, this visionary, has a name, and that name is Kozmo.

This new video magazine came in the mail yesterday and I sat and stared at that little box in my living room for two hours and was left awe struck.

Those two hours seemed to pass like mere moments as I watched Garrett Thomas, John Lovick, Wayne Kawamoto, David Reagal, Andrew Pinard, and special guests, The great Harry Lorayne, the salty Paul Potassy, and the always astonishing Paul Harris.

Reviews, interviews, tricks, insights, jokes, and other assorted sundries, passed along like candy for my starving medulla oblongata.

The technology is finally here folks, and it has become easy for everyone. For a paltry ten bucks you too can enjoy this most amazing experience available at your favorite magic store or by subscription at http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com/ for a mere forty bucks a year.

In the past Video magazines were clunky, tough to produce, still fairly pricey, and came on video tape. Well, the world found a way and Kozmo stepped to the plate and knocked it out of the park.

This is a slick, well thought out, professional, video magazine. If cable had "the magic channel" this would be their evening magazine. The content is paced well, the subjects interesting, funny, and thought provoking, the magic is fantastic, and the whole enchilada is shipped to your door at a price your paper boy could afford. I am excited about this project folks and I didn't have a darn thing to do with it. This is just the thing I had been hoping would come along and it has at long last arrived.

Go and buy this or subscribe today if you don't I promise you, you will wish you had. Great work Kozmo!

Best,

Dan-
Yep!

I remember saying to a friend that it was like watching an A&E special or something. It really is TV for magicians!

I'm actually going to take it to a local meeting tonite and just skim through it for some of the folks there. (Kinda Tease 'em a little:) Because they cant wrap their minds around what I've been raving about. So I'll show them a couple minutes of it and then tell them they are only TEN BUCKS! these guys are gonna go NUTS!

By the way, I don't know if anyone knows this yet or not, but you should be able to pick them up at your local magic shop now if not very soon!

Great Job Koz!
I am still waiting on my Copy... I do hear good things about Reel Magic Quarterly and I will probably do a little advertising with them.
Just tossing in my two cents here, and my two cents are very satisfied! I will be joining the group of subscribers, as I can only see this getting better. As was mentioned before, the bill switch alone is worth the price and more, and has become my new switch. Great interview spot with Paul Harris, great "column" with Garrett Thomas, Harry Lorayne yarning about Scarne and Vernon, yeah. I'll be subscribing.
Great job, guys, and cheers!!
Got mine yeserday (friday), will view it today.
I am so glad I subscribed - great content, great layout, and for only $40....you can't go wrong. Nice job Koz!
I have only one complaint, not with the DVD itself but the promotion video: most of the clips in the promo video come from clips of reviewed DVDs, but are not in any way part of the material taught on the DVD. I am not saying that the material you get isn't worth the money, not at all. It stands on its own as a great value, but there's no need to put so much material in the promo which is really best used to sell the reviewed DVDs.
I have ordered my copy too. Can't wait to see it!
I have ordered from the oficial website July 15th, still did not arrived. Waiting....
Shipped...i just checked...

weve had zero issues....but let me know if you don't get it

thanks
koz
Loved Volume 1.
Great material, great interviews.

Ben
Thanks for checkin Koz.
I´ll wait for it.
I certainly think my purchase was worth the value. I really enjoyed the reviews done by David Regal. It was almost like going to the magic shop and having somebody show you what one would actually get for their money... we LOVE that kind of stuff. Great Job. I signed up for the whole year, so I am looking forward to the next three!
Got it Koz.
Just finished watching.
All I can say is: "Great Job"
If you don´t have this buy it now.

Serious.

Now.

Go.

Stop reading this, go there and buy it. Now!
I got my copy this past weekend from Williams Magic in Tucoson. I enjoyed watching it. I'm sure I'll watch it a few more times. It will be a great addition to my DVD library. I'll be a subscriber also. Can't wait for Vol 2.
NK
Heres a new review of reel magic

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0706reelmagic.html
All I can say is that you won't be disappointed. An excellent product for an excellent price. Much more than I bargained for. Great content, great reviews, great ads... what a pleasure to watch... thanks!

And don't forget to stick around and watch the bloopers at the end!
Just finished watching Reel Magic, high quality video, and it teachs trick. Well worth the money!
There is really nothing more left to say about this amazing project. When does issue #2 comes out?
WOW!!!!

Read through the previous posts and you'll observe that many of the writers have begun with this very same exclamation. However, this is the true gut reaction to sitting down and watching this marvelously produced video magazine. Watching John Lovick demonstrate his devilishly clever and simple $100 bill switch in the first segment elicits the first of many spontaineous "wows."

Intending to only watch a segment or two, I wound up sitting through the entire two hours and was disappointed that it seemingly ended so soon. As an amateur magician ("Amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic" - Bob Elliott), I found every subject practical and in just the right amount of depth. Practical meaty stuff. The video quality is excellent with great camera angles when tricks are explained.

The commercials weren't burdensome - most were entertaining and showed a demo of a particular trick ( Penguin and others). I'm sure that these are what keep the price of this incredible production so low and "cost effective" (as opposed to "cheap"). I do wish that they'd get rid of the one or two that concentrated on crowd reactions to an effect (rather than demonstrating a trick) or at least limit them to just 1-2 reaction shots - watching a full minute or two (seemed longer) of just reaction shots got old fast.

Three tricks were performed and later explained in detail: John Lovick's bill switch, Dan Tong's Chop Cup routine, and Potassy's bill-to-potato, the latter two taken from the videos that these magicians had recently put out. The quality of each video is perfect and provided an opportunity to watch masters from the comfort of my sofa.

The interviews with Paul Harris and Harry Lorayne provided insight as to where they came from and their philosophies. (The Harris piece is a particularly nice complement to the recent Eric Mead article in Magic.) The reviews of DVD's and tricks by David Regal and Wayne Kawamoto were thorough and informative. It's nice to see video of an effect interspersed within the body of the review - you can't get that with print publications. And last, but not least, Garrett Thomas' "Try this at home" is a winner for us amateurs. I'm looking forward to picking up more practical tips in the future.

My only gripe is that I'll only receive these videos on a quarterly basis. I don't know if the business model would support 12 issues (or even 6-8 per year) - I'd put up with a few more commercials if they could do this. Of course, I recognize that the primary magicians involved may not have the time to do this (or perhaps there might be concerns about diluting the quality by putting out too much material?). And so apparently, I'll have to depend upon The Lecture Network to fill my video addiction between Reel Magic episodes...

Bottom line: this appears to be the start of a great magic series. I'm a family physician and I employed Lovick's bill switch and Paul Harris' philosophy to some of my other effects as I went exam-tablehopping throughout my office hours today. (And, yes Paul, they were astonished!) I HIGHLY recommend this series.

jeff in san diego
http://www.medicine-in-motion.com
Just picked this up out of curiosity from one of my local dealers. In a word...excellent. Really enjoyed the interview with Paul Harris. Is he OK...he really does not look well at all.
He looked okay to me.
I have run into a number of magicians who have purchased the first issue of RMQ. Not one of them had any negative comments about the dvd. Most intended to watch part of it and then return to it later. However, most ended up watching it from beginning to end.

I found it to be a "fun" view. Kozmo indicates that the best is yet to come.
It's called "aging" . . .
I watched this again today. The Paul Harris interview just blows me away.
I watched about 75% of this yesterday and was very impressed. The production value of RMQ is outstanding and as someone wrote above, it's like watching a TV show. I loved John Lovick's teaching of his bill switch and how it was filmed (a clear, over the shoulder view, against a white background).

I don't buy many DVDs (so I don't know if the following is the norm) but I was watching a card DVD the day before where a difficult move was taught by filming the magician from the front (a spectator's view). It was difficult for me to follow without rewatching it at least a dozen times. If it had been filmed as clearly as Lovick's bill switch was filmed, I'd have the move down pat by now!

I's also a big fan of Harry Lorayne so watching his interview was wonderful.

All around great job and all for only $10. I'm already looking forward to the second episode.
I got mine, absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really looking forward to the next one!

MIke
I have heard some rumors about the next issues coming out and I am truly counting the minutes until the next RMQ comes out.

Im not going to repeat the rumors, but some of the interviews coming up are HUGE!!!!

I'm so glad I got this subscription!
I was visiting Barry's new magic shop over in Rockville MD the other day and saw the Reel Magic discs for sale. Literally on a whim, I bought it. 10 bucks seemed like a bargain from the label.

I watched the whole thing and then watched the explanations and performances again. I did like the format and the content.

I would recommend reducing the length of time the screen splashes and names are on the screen. They get in the way. The ads were annoying, mostly because they did not fit the more placid style of the DVD in general. I actually did find the ads informative. Much better than the condensed hype that appears other places.

Overall I give the project an A. I think that if more DVD's were priced at 10 bucks they would sell a whole lot more of them.

One suggestion I have is to add a vintage section in which we get to see magicians long gone from newsreel or early film.
I just heard that Episode # 2 is on its way and will be available in just a few short weeks. From what I hear, we haven't seen anything yet. I have no idea as to how Kozmo plans to beat issue # 1 but he swears he has.

If you haven't seen Episode # 1 don't delay. For only TEN BUCKS, I can't see how anyone can go wrong. Subscribe here: http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com/

Keep 'em coming, Kozmo!