(Close Window)
Topic: Flip's Rope DVD...
I haven't done ropes for awhile but was really curious about the DVD. Any thoughts by those who have it or are just Flip fans?
I have it and it is very well done.

If I were producing it, I would have included a few more shots from the performer's perspective.

He does a very good act and if you watch it a few times and practice you can do a whole night with a rope.

:thehat:
I got it for Christmas and I think that it is excellent but does take some practice as does all good magic :dizzy:
Flip's is ok, but if it was my money I would go with Tabary - the most elegant rope magician today. His routines are not that difficult, but require time to learn, and are very visual.

palle...
Some really wonderful rope magic can be found on the Aldo Colombini videos "Lasting Impressions" Volumes 2 and 4. The Tabary rope videos are also excellent.
I worked on Tabary all summer to make it look smooth and those are the ones to go with. I got Flip's DVD about a month ago, and it has some cool material, but nowhere near as innovative as Tabary. When you start playing around with combining the two, you can put together some incredible effects. Flip has one phase in his first routine that is the usual endless loop of rope where you hold two ends in one hand and pretend to keep feeding the rope, nothing special so far, but then he makes it appear to be two endless loops linked through each other, which then dissolve into a knot in the middle of one fully restored rope. It is SWEET!! :cheers:
I have Flips DVD and it is not one of my favorites. If you want to get into rope magic again I suggest you go with Daryl's Expert Rope Magic series. Once you learn the basics, volume 8 has a great 10 minute routine at the end.
Hi Guys;
Remember, Flip's material is 20 years old. It's where Tabary and Daryl got some of their ideas!
Tabary even credits Flip in his second video.
I didn't care for it that much; I would recommend Daryl's Expert Rope Magic series.
I also have the Flip DVD, and really liked it. I currently perform most of the Tabary routine, but have added some "in between" effects from Flip's DVD.

I highly suggest purchasing it. His ring & rope stuff is great.

DonB!
I would like to add to the list of rope magic.

Shiego Takagió his routines on cut and restored ropes are among the best availiable if you can still find the video.
vinny
I was wondering when someone was going to mention Shigeo Takagi! ..... His work is incredible and I have often turned to his cut and restored rope routine when searching for a piece with guaranteed results...