(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Drawing Board vs. Special FX Board
I wasn't sure whether to get the Magic Drawing Board or the Special Effects Board, both from Axtell. Here's my Pro/Con list for both:
[b]
Magic Drawing Board[/b]
[b]--Pro:[/b]
Very funny, great addition to kid's show
Kids love it (I know that because my little sister saw a magician do this at a party she was at, and everyone there thought it was great)
Seems very versatile, can draw many different faces
[b]
--Con:[/b]
A little expensive, about $15.00 more than the Special FX Board

[b]
Special FX Board[/b]
[b]--Pro:[/b]
Also very versatile, can do A LOT of things with it, including an effect almost just like Cardiograph, which I was also interested in
Also very funny, and good for kids (it seems)
Cheaper than Magic Drawing Board
[b]
--Con:[/b]
In my opinion not as funny as the moving face in Magic Drawing Board, but still lots of room for funny

I think both would be great. What do you guys think? Even if you don't have it, tell me what you think would be better.

Here's the links:
[url=http://www.axtell.com/sfx.html]Special FX Board[/url]
[url=http://www.axtell.com/mdb.html]Magic Drawing Board[/url]
Well, I only have the Pro-Magic Drawing Board (I do have both sizes), so that's the only one about which I can speak, but it's quality all the way.

Steve
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jun 24, 2007 10:38PM)
Even better is the deluxe remote controlled drawing board!
I use the magic drawing board in every show and it is ALWAYS a hit.
How close can the audience be to the Magic Drawing Board?
fib
I have both boards, but I use the Magic Drawing Board much more frequently. I've had them both for at least 10 years.

- Donald
Add me to the list that likes the Magic Drawing board, and Axtrax Mark Routine is very good to go with this board.
So, do you all think the Magic Drawing Board is a better purchase?

John
I have the Magic Drawing Board, and the kids love it. Although I do not have or have used the SFX Board, my opinion is that you get more bang for your buck with the Drawing Board. There are unlimited possibilities of interaction with a talking character, whereas with the SFX board you are limited to whatever you load as the surprise.
[quote]
On 2007-06-25 10:24, yfoog wrote:
I have the Magic Drawing Board, and the kids love it. Although I do not have or have used the SFX Board, my opinion is that you get more bang for your buck with the Drawing Board. There are unlimited possibilities of interaction with a talking character, whereas with the SFX board you are limited to whatever you load as the surprise.

[/quote]

I was thinking of using the SFX Board with a "Look-Don't See" routine. I could do something along the lines of me looking for my assistant, who could be some animal, but couldn't find him. I would be looking at the kids, and the animal would pop up on the board. Of course, they'll all be screaming, telling me that he's right there, but when I look, he's gone. I thought kids would like that, but I already have a look-don't see routine in my act which I am currently building.

John
I've had my boards about a year now, and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. There seems to be a "ghosting" where the mouth opens on my larger drawing board. Not on the plastic, but on the white grid part. Not visible from very far, but I know it shouldn't be there in a product/item this new. I was told by Steve (Axtell) that it will cost me $25 for a repair...

Anybody else suffer from this?

Steve
I've had my 3 boards rebuilt several times from Steve Axtell.

If you use them a lot they wear out. And I use mine in every show.

I wouldn't leave home without it. As the commercial used to say.

Thx,

Nez
I've come to the conclusion now that the Magic Drawing Board is generally better. I think I'll get it.

What is the best place to buy it from?
Directly from Axtell.
[quote]
On 2007-06-25 15:14, MagicSanta wrote:
Directly from Axtell
[/quote]

Thank you. :wavey:
Fib,
6 feet is fine, and probably get away with it closer. I can spot the gimmicks from that distance, but the crowd doesn't. I start off by drawing a child (usually the birthday child). I exclaim what a good artist I am and the kids laugh and disagree. I then get the birthday child up, and I tell him to draw someone in the room that is real beautiful. After a moment I tell them to draw me, and I vogue. This is very funny because I am not classified anywhere close to beautiful by most people.

Anyway, the kid is drawing on the board - that close. I don't operate the gimmicks at this time but the kid could easily see them . . . . but for some reason they don't.

I was also worried because the board has a light grid on it. No issue there either.

My routine lasts about 7 minutes, and works well. $150 for 7 minutes of routine is pretty good I'm my book.

I just ordered the the CeleBRI-Tie and plan to use the board with it and also am working on a levitation where I would normally use coat to cover my legs but will use the board.
I start with "MAGIC SHOW AT 0:00 (whatever showtime is)!" written on the board and the board on display. When I pick it up to do the effect, I wipe it clean. Makes the board much less "gimmicky". You can also buy a matching ungimmicked board in either size if you want to go that far, but I've never found that necessary.

Steve
While I do not have the drawing board, which sounds great, I did not get much out of the SFX board at all. Its use is limited to one "pop-up" per show as you cannot reload, and it is just not that impressive. Perhaps in tandem with the drawing board , which is the one I really should have gotten . . .
And when that remote drawing board breaks down....
No offense, but I've found that props that fix easily are best, especially if you actually do a lot of shows....
I've always thought a cardiograpic meets special effects board would be fun.

The magician draws a stick figure magician holding a hat. Then a rabbit comes out. He writes happy birthday Billy on it and gives it to the kid!
That's why I like Sean Bogunia's Ultimate Sketch pad...You have the ability to hand the picture out at the end of the routine...I've owned both Axtel's board (2 of them actually) and now have Sean's...I think it get's the bigger kick.
Isn't Sean's a bit on the fragile side?
Sean's Bergonia's Ultimate Sketch Pad is not fragile. It just requires time spent familiarizing yourself with the handling of the gimmicks. It is a beautiful device. I've gotten great reactions and it's fun to perform.
I vote for the Magic Drawing board, and Axtrax Mark Routine is very good to go with this board.
Two different effects if you ask me :)

I have both boards and I use both all the time :)

For my special Corporate shows or TV Appearances, the Special FX Drawing Board can make wonders :)
I have looked for what two people refer to as the Mark Routine, and I can't seem to find it on Steve's site.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps through a PM?

Thanks!

RevJohn
[quote]
On 2007-09-05 00:52, RevJohn wrote:
I have looked for what two people refer to as the Mark Routine, and I can't seem to find it on Steve's site.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Perhaps through a PM?

Thanks!

RevJohn
[/quote]

Go here: http://www.axtell.com/axtrax.html
Scroll down to "Art-O-Matic" (the real name of the routine)

You can read the entire script or listen to an excerpt.

It's great!
Great. Thanks. I had seen that one but didn't know this was it.

Appreciate the help. I have the How-dini one, but will take a look at this.

RevJohn
Boy, would help if I could spell... couldn't even get the play on Houdini right... WHO-DINI. Not how. Sheesh.

Time to go back and talk to the board.

John