(Close Window)
Topic: Sam vs ibm
I am a member of the sam, but is there any greater benifits of joining the ibm?

thanks,
jbk
The benefits, by looking at SAM benefit, they are almost the same.. Subscription, free website for members, ability to join clubs, etc. check IBM's website at
http://www.magician.org
The greatest benefit in belonging to both includes doubling the likelihood of finding either a S.A.M. Assembly or an I.B.M. Ring nearby in your travels, worldwide recognition and fellowship among your S.A.M. and I.B.M. peers, two incredible journals, access to two of the best magic conventions in the world and worldwide recognition as a member of two established and historical professional organizations dedicated to the advancement of magic as an art. Basically, you double your opportunities to learn, advance and share your love for the art.
Yep...Patriot is right on with his comments.

I belong to both and really enjoy each.

Mark.
It is like Ice Cream.....

Which do you like best....chocolate or vanilla?

They are both the same......but they taste different.

All joking aside... a detailed answer to your question are coming soon.

Steve Hart
Past I.B.M. Membership Committee Chair
Skip Way posted this a few months ago in response to this same question:

The Society of American Magicians is the oldest of the two groups having been founded on May 10, 1902 in New York City. The list of members and officers bears the names of the most prominent magicians of the era including Harry Houdini, who served as National President from 1917 until his death in 1926. His beautiful tomb bears the SAM Seal prominently beneath his bust.

If my information is correct, SAM currently reports just over 250 Assemblies in 30+ countries with a membership of over 7,000. Membership is $65.00 for new US members, $70.00 for new Canadian members, $80.00 for new International members and $20.00 for Youth (SYM) members. The variances in dues offset the different postage costs for MUM, the official and excellent SAM journal. Annual renewal is $50.00 for all. The SAM website is http://www.magicsam.com .

The International Brotherhood of Magicians was formed by Len Vintus, Dan Rogers and Gene Gordon on Feb 10, 1922 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Logically, the IBM was formed as an organization more closely focused on the needs and goals of multinational performers although I don't know this for certain. Like the SAM, the membership and officer rolls for the IBM bear the names of the most prominent magicians of each era...and the same prominent names are consistently shared between the two.

The IBM reports over 300 Rings in 30+ countries with a membership roster of over 17,000. New active member dues are $55.00 with annual renewal rates set at $40.00. Associate memberships are available at $25.00 for new members with an annual renewal rate of $10.00. Associate memberships do not include The Linking Ring, the outstanding official IBM journal. Youth memberships are available at $50.00 for new members with an annual renewal rate of $35.00. Youth memberships include The Linking Ring. An International World Delivery charge of $25.00 offers faster delivery of The Linking Ring outside of the United States. The IBM website is http://www.magician.org .

Both organizations share similar goals and programs. SAM offers hands-on guidance and fellowship through local Assemblies, an educational scholarship, liability insurance coverage, a quality endowment program for the magical arts, financial aid for members in need due to medical or healthcare demands, an incredible historical research facility that includes an extensive film lender library of past masters and their acts, one of the finest annual magic conventions in the world and, of course, MUM...(with due respect to MAGIC and Genii) one of the finest member-focused magic journals in print and available only to SAM members.

The IBM provides hands-on guidance and fellowship through local Rings, group health and liability insurance coverage, nationwide Internet services, free member websites, a growing historical research facility, a financial aid program for magicians in need due to emergency or medical needs, educational & historical research grants, the other finest magic convention in the world and The Linking Ring, the other finest member-focused magic journal in print (and on CD-ROM) available only to IBM members.

Perhaps, one day these two incredible organizations will join forces and combine their resources for the betterment of the entire magic community. In the meantime, membership in both organizations is hands down the best bet for anyone who is serious about the art of magic and magical entertainment. The journals alone are worth the price of membership. Frankly, if I had to choose between one or the other...I would have a very difficult time doing so.