(Close Window)
Topic: Amazing stories and fantastic coincidences
In his book, John Murray describes some amazingly odd coincidences in his many years of performing.

One great story is about demonstrating in his magic store before an obnoxious "know-it-all" customer. The "know-it-all" says something like, "If you're so great make the four of clubs appear face up on that deck." Just at that moment the 4C appears face up on the TABLED deck!

The shocked customer runs out of the store, never to return. Murray, himself, is initially nonplussed, but then figures out that one of the cards on the ceiling (from a prior performance) chose that precise moment to become dislodged and fall face up directly onto the deck--and it was the VERY CARD THE SKEPTICAL CUSTOMER NAMED!!!

Although the story seems too incredible to be true, I believe it. Certain amazing, truly magical things, have occurred over the years in my own performances. I once lost control over a selected card, so just had the spectator thoroughly shuffle the deck and count down to any number--his reaction clearly told me he had just counted to his card!

Another example: I was once a guest at a rented oceanside home and was asked to perform some magic. I asked to borrow a deck of cards. Someone found one in a drawer and handed it to me. It just happened to be a Deland (marked and stripped) Deck! I had not planted the deck (and wouldn't have planted that particular gaff), but I remembered (from childhood) how the deck worked. Apparently the trick deck had been left there by a previous renter.

Fortunately, no one in the room was aware that a blow torch had just been handed to an arsonist! 18 years later, friends still recall THAT performance.
How many times has this happened:

spec: "Show me a trick."

mag: "Okay, think of a card ... "

spec: "Got one."

mag: "... except don't think of the Aces of Spades."

spec: "OMIGAWD! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?"

mag: "I'm OUTTA here. You've been great! Try the veal!"

Brian
-I once lost control over a selected card, so just had the spectator thoroughly shuffle the deck and count down to any number--his reaction clearly told me he had just counted to his card!

Since you obviously had no idea where the card was, what was the point of having him countdown to any number. What were you hoping to achieve? That his card MIGHT be there? That seems a bit hard to believe. What was the plan? Just curious.
Otis,

Without having any actual clue what "Chrismatt's" plan was, it seems obvious to me that he may have been anticipating the spectator arriving at the WRONG card, whereupon he would ask what the correct card was, locate it, and then pull a clever switch - leading the audience to believe the "failure" was really just a well-acted part of the trick.

This is a standard form of "out" when things go bad. You ARE a magician, aren't you OTIS? Think, man, think.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
I remember my 3rd time EVER performing magic for strangers.....I did Roy Waltons Card Warp with blue backed cards.

After I finished I handed the cards out to the people and while they looked at them I grabbed a red deck of cards from my pocket. I held it in the same position I just had the cards. When they looked up they freaked out and said "How did you do that?!?!?"

"do what?"

"Make the box appear....and it's RED cards!!"

I left that day a happy man.

Chris
I was doing walk around at a resort where I often perform in West Virginia. I was doing my card to wallet routine for two people seated at a table. After palming the card and handing the deck to the woman to be shuffled, I noticed the guy burning my palm hand. I casually placed my hand at the edge of the table so nothing could be seen but he just kept burning me. I decided that showing my hand empty would fool him worse than the actual trick so I simply dropped the palmed card on the floor.

His face went blank when I showed both hands empty. I didn't know how to produce the card so I just stepped on it and tried to push it behind me. To produce it, I said "look behind me". The two people started going nuts. I turned around to see what they were looking at only to find that the card was gone. Then I found it. Because of the palm, the signed card was bowed so when I pushed it with my foot on the wood floor, it slid 20 feet behind me and landed face up.

Even I was amazed.
I was performing the insurance policy and the spectator (tried to "catch" me when performong for him) shuffled the cards thoroughly while I was holding the card which was later forced on him. :) After the usual procedure of the insurance policy he really demanded for the cards to be really shuffled. I asked him if he'd be amazed if his card appeared on top of the shuffled deck? Just in case the cards were marked, he turned around and proceded to mix them even more. He turned round put the deck on the table and without me touching the cards he turned the top card and that was it. Then it was this overproving with the policy thing but he was so amazed that he asked me what would happen if he thought of the card and after shuffling the cards it would be on top? I did not want him do it but he insisted and thought of the card. He then grabbed the deck, shuffled and shuffled, put in front of him and turned the top card and that was it for the second time.

I don't even know what the second card was as he quickly grabbed the deck and examined it thouroughly looking for something. Would you believe that??? It happened almost a year ago and this guy is still telling miracle stories about my abilities which in my small enviroment is pretty good as far as cheap marketing is concerned.
I normally as a rule try to have a duplicate in my deck, and as it so happened I once had a spectator pick one of the dupes. I didn't know it was a dupe since I don't keep track of which dupe I put in which deck, at least not for casual performances. So when I got to the phase with the top half of the deck placed away and I tried to make the card appear at the top of the talon I had (it's not supposed to work), when I flipped over that top card, the duplicate of the chosen card! Not very amazing, but I was momentarily shocked myself. Thankfully I regained my senses, duly turned that card back over, and caused it to magically appear at the "right" place, on the top half of the deck placed away from me. A miracle!

It's amazing what people will believe sometimes when you've gained credibility. I once vanished a cork by draping a napkin over it, dropping it into my lap quickly and snapping the napkin off. I got many gasps from that...mainly because it was in response to someone asking me if I could vanish a cork by waving a napkin over it. Sometimes I do take requests :rotf:
I have two stories. One happened to me, the other to a buddy.

I was working in a magic shop, and was describing an effect on TV to a customer. While describing this effect, I had both my hands high in the air. The second I brought them down, there was a power outage, and all the lights went out! The whole block, and probably more, was affected by a power outage. Joking around, I brought my hands back up and said, "Let there be light," and the power chose that exact moment to come back on. If that wasn't bad enough, I dropped my hands after that, and the lights went out [b]again[/b]! :eek: The customer actually said, "Stop it! You're scaring me!" It'll be tough to top that one.

My buddy was doing the first phase of Alan Wakeling's "Clairvoyance" ("The Magic of Alan Wakeling", Jim Steinmeyer), in which the performer stands off at a distance, and is able to divine several randomly selected cards picked by the spectator. The last two cards in front of the spectator were the QH and the KH, but due to an innocent action by the spectator, his secret method of obtaining knowledge about the cards was getting screwed up. He tried to buy time to divine the cards by getting vague and said, "I'm not getting a clear picture. It's something like the QH or KH...." and the spectator took this as a revelation of the last two cards!

Needless to say, both of us will always remember one of the most important rules in magic:

"Always take credit for dumb luck!"
Those are great. Mine isn't as cool but I thought it was. I shuffled a deck, took one card out, put it on the table and told the guy "Name a card."
He said "Six of hearts"
Perfect. I said "Turn it over."

I had actually seen a guy at the Castle do it as a joke and when he says "Name a card" he looks at the card he's holding up, sighs and says "Not tonight!" and puts it back. It was pretty funny! So you can do that all day long and get laughs but every now and then...a miracle.
I remember another story I had about a dupe card!

I Saw That you reminded me!

I was performing at my friends house during a party (this was about 5 months after I got into magic). I was practicing with the deck earlier and put in a dupe and I forgot to take it out. Well I did this one trick from an old book where half the deck is face up and mixed in with half the deck face down. The chosen card is the first face down card at the end of a long run of face up cards.

It just so happend that when I spread the cards I asked him if he could see his card... he said "yes". So I turned the deck over (thinking I messed up and trying to recover) and asked him "I guess it's safe to say you don't see it now do you?" He looked puzzled and said "Yeah I see it here too..."

I was confused and said "I wonder how that happened?!!" He was surprised and said "that was really good!" Just then I looked him square in the eye (I remembered what dupe I put in) and I named his card. He loved it and I pulled his card out. Squared the deck and ditched the card and spread through to show only one of his card.

Fooled me!

Chris :banana:
My story isn't as neat. When people say "show me a trick" I always say "ok name a card" whatever they name I of course say "WOW! That's the card I was thinking of!!"

Always gets a great laugh. Well once I was at work and I was casually shuffling cards and one of my coworkers walked by and said, ok lets see a trick. I stopped shuffling and said "name a card." He said "Four of Clubs". So I got the gag in and then while he was laughing I casually set the deck face up on my desk not even intending to show him a trick. Much to my suprise the four of clubs stared everyone right in the face!

His jaw hit the floor, I looked right at him and said, "Well, there ya go, anything else I can do for you?"

"Nope." he says. Turned right around and walked away.

Smiling beside me the entire time was a friend of mine who was a magician. As soon as the lay victim walked away my magician friend said, "ok dude you have GOT to teach me how you did that trick!"

I milked my greatness for about 30 seconds before I came clean with my magician buddy.
I remember just before Christmas here at work a coworker was talking with someone else about an old leaf Penny he had in his hand and that it might have value... jokingly as I approached I said something like... is that the $100.00 dollar leaf Penny??? and he said he thought it was.

What is the year of that particular Penny, he asked and I quickly replied 1958! and guess what??? he read off that Penny the year 1958. I had to ask him to let me have a look... But even more coincidentally about a week later, still with Christmas around the corner I was doing some money magic in my dept. before going home and the same guy is there as I get my TT in place, ready to do a hundred dollar bill switch. I was in the process of folding up a dollar bill and he says can you change it into a hundred???

Boy did I try not to grin to big but continued saying something like, this is what's going to happen to you when you are out there shopping only in reverse. You get one buck back for every hundred you throw down and his eyes just about popped out when I unfolded the hundred! Anyways, I think I have one believer around here...

GlenD
When I first started I did a trick for my sister-in-law (outlaw). It was a simple choose card, shuffle and reverse card, she cuts, you spread the deck and wha-la, it's reversed in the deck.

To try to throw the trick, she cut 51 cards down and moved the deck aside. Her chosen card sat there staring at her. She freaked. Played like it was meant to happen.
One time my brother and I had just come back from a trip to see our grandmother who lives a few counties north, and when we got home we realized our bag with our toothbrushes were missing. We assumed we'd left them up at our Grandma's house. But then I went and secretly checked in the trunk of the car, and they were there. Feeling devious, I saw a chance to freak the crap out of him. I had a small blue magic box back then that I kept cards, handkerchiefs, sponge balls, etc. in. There was enough stuff in there to cover the bottom, but not much more. So I put the bag in on the very bottom and covered it with all my "magic stuff," making it look as natural as possible. I got him to come over and showed him my box and got him to verify that it looked the same as always, nothing special in there. Then I put the lid on it and told him that just like David Copperfield could send people miles around the world, I would send our toothbrush-sack from Huntsville to Jasper in a second. I opened the box and promptly pulled out the sack. Everything else inside looked undisturbed. His eyes nearly popped out of his head. He said, "Um . . . Matt, are you okay? Am _I_ okay??" I don't think I've ever amazed him quite that much before or since . . .
BTW, Scott Cram, your comment is right on. Some of Dai Vernon's most incredible tricks came about by dumb luck, and people would remember them for years after.
A few weeks ago I was going to do a simple trick with a friend. (By the way, she was me trick tester). So I said, "Pick any card!" and she took the bottom card. I said, "Never take the last card; it is too easy because I always look at it. Give me back the 10H (example)." So she took another from the middle and I said (without knowing), "This 7C is better!." It was the 7C. I didn't even make the trick. It was enough!
By force of your personality and/or reputation alone, people may attribute certain random events that occur in your presence to your "powers." In other words, I suspect some of you are able to entertain and amaze, even if you forgot to bring your gimmicks with you.

I recently had a dish fall and loudly break in a place obviously not at all under my control when I had asked those around me to be quiet and concentrate. I received credit for the occurrence, even though it was clear I could not have been responsible. Sometimes, these occurrences are unnerving to us performers!

I'm sure similar things have happened to you.

CM
In case stuff drops on the floor around me, I pull out Banachek's PK Pen to show it really was me.
I once did a card trick to a guy that went horribly wrong, I lost the card, and tried to move on, but he wouldn't let me, so I topld him to think of the card, the 4H- perfect. He was amazed- because for his it was increadibly clean up until that point- even better, his brother came along, the guy told him to think of any card, because I could read minds, it was the 4H again.

I avoid them now, because I can't top that, and I hate to disappoint ;)
Heres one that happened to me I was in the local pub and a girl who worked behind the bar who knew I did magic said ok show me something. I was in my mentalism mode so I secretly put on my NW and got out my business card took out a pencil and said to her think of any number between 1 and 100 and look at me, she gladly obliged and I wrote down the number apparently with my pencil then said ok what did you think, she said something like 22, I cant remember the exact number she said now its a few years ago but anyway just as I was about to do the business the NW pinged off nothing I could do, so I just wrote any number, guess what it was the number she thought of boy did that build my reputation up I felt like Nostradamus that night.
I forgot to mention when the NW pinged off I pretended to change my mind and rub out the number with the rubber on the end of the pencil and then wrote any number with the pencil and it was her thought of number.
Half a year ago I was invited to a friends party.
Some people were sitting around playing poker and as some of them knew that I was a magician they asked me to do something.
I grabbed the deck and classic forced a card on someone.
(" Pick a card - any card.. except the 8 of spades")
She picked the card and freaked out! It was very easy to force the card on her.. so I decided to do it again - it worked! .. a third time - again the 8 of spades!
The crowd was screaming :)

I decided to continue with another routine and asked the girl to shuffle the deck and then to spread it on the table - so did she. I asked her to pick a card..
Guess what happened? The one card she freely selected was the 8 of spades!!!
If you've ever witnessed a similar coincidence you probably know what it feels like! Pure magic!

I knew I couldn't top that and quit.
I was amazed at a trick that I unwittingly performed on myself...

I was looking through my wife's check book looking for a check. She uses a duplicate style where as you write the original, a copy is made just behind it and it is this copy that gets left behind in the register.

OK, now with that backdrop, I kept flipping through all the copies and could not find a new check. About the 3rd or 4th time I noticed that the last half of the copies were blank. So I'm thinking... what the heck? Why are half of these blank?

After taking a moment to consider all the illogical reasons my wife might of had to not record the checks and to not get a new book of checks it dawns on me...

Have you figured it out yet? Ever see the workings of a magic coloring book?

Yep, As I thumbed thru the checks, the originals were slightly narrower than the copies so all I was seeing were the copies!

And I never thought I could be fooled by a magic coloring book!

Must be a new routine here somewhere...

Lynn Fox
Eight years ago, I performed Ted Lesley's: "Pro-Monition", for my friend's wife.
(Her selected card was the 6D)

(Three weeks ago)
There were 10 of us having dinner, at a rest.. (Including this lady)
During dinner, I was asked, "Are you still involved in magic?" And, "Please, do
something for us."
I asked the (same) lady to mentally select any card, and tell us the name of
this card. ('Gambling', she would duplicate?)
She said, "The 6 of Diamonds!" (Made me a 'happy little camper')
I told her to wave her hand, slowly, over her dinner plate, and lift the plate.
(There was a back-up effect, just in case)
There are some great stories here. One time I was doing a prediction effect where I would lay a card down onto the table and have someone name a card out loud, then flip it over to find the prediction correct. Well, one time a girl took the deck from me, and asked me to repeat the effect as she looked through the deck and pulled out a card. She set it down and said, "can you have someone name that card?". I pointed to another girl standing in the group, and asked her to name her favorite card. She named the "Queen of Hearts"!! Everyone was shocked, suprised, and screaming as it was a match. I was shocked a little bit too, LOL!!
My only miracle moment (so far) is similar to Scott's up above. A few years ago, I was working night-shift as an emergency dispatcher. When things were quiet, I'd practice various card cuts. Mike, a coworker, delighted in razzing me, "Ooooh! A magician!! Or are you supposed to be a riverboat gambler?" and pretending to fear me every time I walked into shift. As you can imagine, after a few weeks it was getting a little old. One morning I hit the parking lot shortly after he did and heard his starter grinding away. His car flat would not start. I walked up to it, put both hands on the front of the hood, threw my head back and yelled, "BE HEALED!!" At that exact moment, he tried it again and it started. His eyes were really big as I gave him a "salaam" and walked over to my car. It ended his razzing. :D
Was performing on the street to a good size crowd
and always had a TT Bill switch ready to go

I normally change a piece of White Paper in 4 folds to NZ $10 Note

An overseas visitor from Australia with his family asked where the
money exchange office was as they had arrived only hours earlier
and jokingly showed me his Australian $10 Note mentioning A real magician could
change it etc..

I really played this up and everone was watching..
4 folds later-now a NZ $10 Note in its place in front of a large crowd bought the house down and this guy face was priceless to say the least!-The applause was really good & more of a crowd arrived

Just one of those right moment days!!!
couldn't have planned it better if I tried!!!!!!
I end a particular card set with Earl Nelson's "Between Your Points of Departure", but one day was delighted to have the spectator (freely) select a card that just happened to be the duplicate of a card that I had pinned to the back of my jacket's lapel that evening! :)

Needless to say, the already-wonderful vanish of the selected card was greatly enhanced by a simply-incredible re-appearance! :D

In fact, I toyed with the idea of distributing cards all over my body (two lapels, two socks, two shoes, wallet, etc -- and then "soft force" one of a known set of cards) just so that I could re-create that magic moment.
Wow! nice stories everyone!
It is very cool and funny when you perform a trick and you don't even know what happened lol.
I'm sure that I have a similar story, but I can't remember.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Feb 16, 2010 10:55PM)
I was in class at my high school two years ago with a friend who happens to also be a magician. I was in a bold mood so I took a scrap of paper and wrote "4D" on it, then crumpled it up and placed it on the table in front of him. I told him I was going to show him a new effect I had developed and asked him to name any card he wanted. Sure enough, he said "Four of Diamonds!"

I casually allowed him to open the paper abs reveal my prediction. My friend was convinced it had to be a fluke and he wanted me to repeat it. Me being the daring person I am, I obliged. I wrote "6C" on another paper, and repeated the procedure. He named another card... "Six of Clubs". I struggled not to smile as I allowed him to open and reveal my prediction. Now he was really a believer. I said "it works every time too, a foolproof concept". Just then, an onlooker from the side of the class, who had been watching the entire time, piped up. "Oh yeah? Do it to me."

I wrote "AS" on the paper and placed it in front of him. Wouldn't you know it, three times lucky. I can't believe it worked three times in a row, but it was a great way to leave a magician buddy scratching his head.
You should've been at a casino that day.

Steve
I was performing walkaround before the stage show at a venue with tiered seating.
I finished an oil and water routine of Ray Kosby's and when I looked up, there was Ray Kosby looking on from about three rows back. He said, " Nice routine!"
There's only one that comes to mind...

First of all, you have to know my older brother. He's always been a "superior" type, that takes advantage of lecturing me and pretty much making me feel "small".

Well about a year earlier than this, I had a new deck of blue-backed Bicycle cards, and opened them at the bottom with utmost care, took the sleeve off, carefully pried off the seal without damaging it, and reversed the TWO of HEARTS. I then (carefully again) put it all back together and rubber cemented the bottom of the wrapper, so it looked unopened.

I did this, because I was going to do a trick for my parents, and wanted it all set up in advance. When I got to my parents', I found a new, blue-backed Bicycle deck in their drawer. EUREKA! I switched their new deck for my prepared deck, and lo, and behold, we got company, or something like that and I was distracted. Oh well, I figured I'd just show it to them later, and I forgot all about it.

Fast forward to a year later. My brother was in town for a few days, and my dad said, "Why don't you show your brother some magic?" So, I got out my standard "stuff", and he was mildly pleased. My brother had picked the TWO of HEARTS in one trick, and said, "I'd really be impressed if you could do that with a NEW deck of cards..."

OMG...I was shaking, when I remembered the set-up deck in my dad's drawer. It had the freaking TWO of HEARTS reversed! OK, I asked my dad if he had a deck of cards somewhere. "Oh, yes. It's brand new...never opened." I told my dad to hand my brother the new deck and open it.

I've never seen my brother react like that. He just FREAKED. That's the best I can describe it. I've also never seen my dad (rest in peace, Dad!) laugh so hard and so long, in my life. Makes tears well up in my eyes just thinking about it. My dad was not a "laughing" kind of guy. He just chuckled at best. He roared and roared with laughter. My brother still talks about that to this day. This was more than ten years ago.

My sister recently told me, he tells that story over and over. He wonders how I could have KNOWN, let alone make that card turn over in a brand new unopened deck!
It was just dumb luck. But I'll never let him know that! The fact that I never TOUCHED the deck, further fries him!

Thank you for letting me relate that. After reading this thread, I suddenly remembered...

Doug
Hey Doug great great story! Brought smile to my face - thank you!

Best,

Pete
Hello

I was with a lady friend about two weeks ago; we were sitting in the car waiting for someone so I decided to show her Daniel Garcia's trick "No Smoking" (I THINK that's what it's called - see the DG Project). It's the multiphase routine where a coin penetrates the cellophane wrapper on a box of cigarettes twice - with a small kicker ending.

Anyway, I had the cig box out, and the cellophane was pulled down and prepared as per the method (impromptu - FYI). The other coin was in my other hand in preparation for the vanish / penetration.

So I perform the striking vanish - and the coin really dissappears! Unfortunately, the penetration effect didn't happen (I suppose the "extra bit" must have gotten stuck - If you know the trick you know what I mean). But here we both are now looking for the vanished coin. I even checked the box (secretly), to see if it hadn't been caught in the cellophane, or with the other one or even somehow gotten inside.

Eventually, we both gave up (I pretended that that was the effect - a coin vanish, so when I helped her to look for the vanished coin, I did it in a tongue in cheek way).

So I pull out yet another coin - and prepare to do the effect properly. This next part is going to fry you . . it fried me, and her . . .

I perform the striking vanish on the new coin - TWO coins(!) show up inside the cellophane(!!!). The just vanished coin is NOWHERE to be seen (unless it was one of the two inside the cellophane - still not sure). Imagine - 1st coin genuinely vanished. Next coin VISIBLY pentrates cellophane AND the 1st coin(?) coin appears inside. At this point I was CLEAN - so I handed everything to her for examination.

NO idea what happened. Still don't quite understand it - but If I could somehow do that on purpose it's gonna cost you fellas $250 for the 1 page instruction booklet.
I have two really good ones (many others, but for now here is two that comes to my mind)

1.) Years ago, at the Middle school talent show.. I was at the 'try-out' night, to see if you can get into the show. I opened with 'dubious domino' where the spots multiply on a jumbo-like card. I forgot the prop at home and was very very upset about it. Everything was timed and I knew I wouldn't have enough magic to fit the slot. I told a stagehand helper about the problem. A few minutes later, he came up to me and asked me if this was my prop. It was the 'What's Next' pro metal version of the same trick, I was FLOORED! He said he just found it sitting prop'd up on the wall backstage. I used it for my try-outs and got the gig! I have no idea how the exact trick (but professional model) just manifested itself backstage. I believe this was supernatural event.

2.) This summer, I was doing some impromptu magic at a party. They had a deck of cards, so I tried the 'Card at any number' trick and because of the drinking failed the effect. But, didn't fail in front of their eyes, I just knew it didn't work, before revealing. The guy I was showing is a very skepital guy, he doesn't like to be fooled and he doesn't believe in anything really. I asked the guy to just think of another card. He did.. I told him to go through and find the card. He went through it, and I believe cuz of his drinking he didn't see it. Being a magician of many years, picked up on his smiles as he was closing the end of the deck, and told him.. awww, you don't see it do you? He laughed and said some pronaity as he handed me the deck. I asked what was his card... he told... I was fanning the cards out, displaying it for other people.. you see there are only 51 cards. Found the card, culled it to the bottom. Palmed it as I handed it to someone else to try to find it. They couldn't. I laughed and explained, that I knew what it was all along and do you know where it is? It's in the card box, I did the fake pulling out of the card box bit. He was dumbfounded and proceeded to tell me that it was magic tv trick cards, I reminded him that it was a borrowed deck. He never has felt the same about my magic again.
I was once sat in a bar talking to one of the bar maids who was off duty and also sitting on my side of the bar. She knew I did magic and I decided to read her mind. I had a nw on me affixed in the usual manner and I said to her think of a number, I got out a pencil and pad and she thought of her number (actually between 1 and 100) as I pretended to to write it the nw pinged off and onto the floor, nothing I could do I couldn't bend down and pick it up ao I just wrote any number, guess what she thought of the number I had wrote. I was Nostradamus in her mind after that

Tony
Joshua Jay explains how to make your own "Invisible Deck" in his "Complete Course" book. (In case you don't know, an "Invisible Deck" isn't so named because it's invisible, but because it's used in a routine where a supposed invisible deck is made visible, and this now-visible deck is set up the same way as it was while it was invisible.)

So I decided to create my own Invisible deck by using a cheap deck of cards. There was a King of Hearts printed on the face of the card case, presumably to show the customer a sample of a card face (without having to open the box).

After I created my homemade Invisible Deck, I visited my parents (to whom I often show off my new magic skills). I did the trick to my mother: I gave her an invisible deck (an imaginary one), told her to take out a card, look at it, and tell me what the card is. The card the chose was the King of Hearts. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was the very same card printed on the card box.

So she mimed putting the card face-up in the deck, putting the cards back in the case, and tossing the case into a paper bag I was holding (all part of Joshua Jay's routine). When I removed the visible deck from the paper bag, we both saw her card printed right on the card case. Thinking quickly, I said, "Ta-dah! There's your card!"

This baffled my mother. She said, "What if I said something else? Would that other card have appeared?" I was tempted to just end the trick right there, but I figured that doing so wouldn't make sense in this context. So without letting her know of the coincidence I continued the trick -- therefore showing her a trick with two mind-boggling surprises.
I was performing some magic for my long time magic mentor and his girlfriend. I performed Vernon's, "Trick that Cannot be Explained" for her with a Boris Wild marked deck, so that I didn't have to turn the cards face up. So I took a pen, wrote down my prediction, folded it up and placed it on the table, then I had her shuffle the cards. By sheer coincidence, her card was on the top of the deck, so I had her turn over the card, then open my prediction. She was impressed, but so was my mentor. In fact he was so impressed, he asked me to do that trick again for him.

At this point I should let you know that he did NOT know I was working with a marked deck.

So I handed him the deck and he proceeded to shuffle. I wrote down a different card, folded my prediction and placed it on the table. When he finished shuffling the deck and set it on the table, it was the card I had predicted again. He just about fell out of his chair and asked... no, demanded that I tell him how I did it.

I let him stew for awhile before letting him in on my little secret and the fact that it was 2 total coincidences. He still laughs about how I managed to get him on that.
On 2011-06-06 14:43, CyberMage wrote:

[quote]I let him stew for awhile before letting him in on my little secret and the fact that it was 2 total coincidences. He still laughs about how I managed to get him on that.[/quote]
That's pretty cool! I like the way you took advantage of the coincidence and acted like it was all part of the trick. I would think Jean Robert-Houdin would be proud, considering his saying "A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician."

...and I like the way you let him stew for a while, too. Magic windfalls shouldn't be revealed so easily!
[quote]
On 2009-09-26 05:40, FloKiel wrote:
Half a year ago I was invited to a friends party.
Some people were sitting around playing poker and as some of them knew that I was a magician they asked me to do something.
I grabbed the deck and classic forced a card on someone.
(" Pick a card - any card.. except the 8 of spades")
She picked the card and freaked out! It was very easy to force the card on her.. so I decided to do it again - it worked! .. a third time - again the 8 of spades!
The crowd was screaming :)

I decided to continue with another routine and asked the girl to shuffle the deck and then to spread it on the table - so did she. I asked her to pick a card..
Guess what happened? The one card she freely selected was the 8 of spades!!!
If you've ever witnessed a similar coincidence you probably know what it feels like! Pure magic!

I knew I couldn't top that and quit.
[/quote]

This has happened to me 2 times with two different guys.

The first time he took the same card 2 times in a row even tho I wasnt classic forcing it. Theb when I spread the cards on the table it happened again! Pure magic.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Sep 3, 2011 08:30PM)
When I was an elementary school teacher, our school held an evening open house for parents to come in and wonder around to meet the teachers and peruse the facilities. The students knew me as a magician as well as a teacher of course. At one point in the evening a little girl dragged her mother through a crowded hallway to ask me to show her mum a trick. I said, “I can’t always do magic just like that,” and I clapped my hands together. At that very instant, there was a power failure and all of the lights in the school when out. There were gasps up and down the hall and the emergency lights came on. Word spread like wild fire around the school that “Mr. Taylor had ‘magiced’ the lights out.” It wasn’t long before the principal came by to see what the real story was. I explained to him that, “I was asked to do magic and I clapped my hands like this,” and I clapped my hands again. You guessed it: the lights came back on.

Christopher
I was jamming cards with a magic buddy and I had a deck spread face up on the table. I then then said something about the cards all being different, and then squared and picked up the pack. For some reason, he took this to mean that he should look at the spread and think of a card. I then spread the cards face own, and asked him to pick any card. You guessed it, he picked his thought of card. He then went nuts, and demanded to know how I'd classic forced a thought of card from a ribbon spread. After recovering myself, I looked him in the eye, smiled, shrugged, and said "it's a gift".

-Leo
I was doing a sponge ball routine for a female friend, and was at the finale, where the four sponges turn into one giant one, and had just made the switch. Holding the giant sponge in her fist, she pulls her hand away and asks "can you turn it into one big one?" Heh. When she opened her hand, and that ball grew and grew, she started shaking, turned white, dropped the ball and ran out of the room. Later she told me she had to leave to "wash the magic from her hand".
My first regular, paying gig, was table hopping at a Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace. Shotgun Sam's was a family place, with somewhat low lighting so that the band could be lighted on the platform.

I had been working on a busy Saturday night, and was being watched by a table that had a family with four kids. I received a request from that table next, where I started doing my routine for the two exhausted adults and the four kids that were obviously still turbo-charged. After a couple of effects, I was contemplating moving on to get away from the kids that were, at that time, not exactly well behaved. I had just finished the half dollar thru silk, and as I talked to them, the 18" silk was hanging in front of me by two adjacent corners. At this moment, the youngest boy jumped up, and drew his hand back, shouting "If you are so good, make this quarter disappear!" Then he threw the quarter at the silk, causing the entire place to stop and watch.

With no time to think, I allowed my martial arts training to kick in. My hands made an arc inwards and down. The silk unfurled in front of me, with no sound of the quarter hitting the floor. To my disbelief, I had caught the quarter in my right hand!

Following the first rule of magic (take credit!) I calmly showed both sides of the silk, trying to suppress a grin. I then reached under the silk and reproduced the quarter, handing it back to the kid. The entire restaurant erupted in applause! Then the best line I have ever heard - his dad said "now sit down and behave before he uses that silk on you!"

From that point forward, the kids were all golden, and I received a nice tip to boot!

I love those moments when the fates seem to smile upon you...

PS
I have since tried to no avail to practice this particular vanish. There are just too many variables to make it a reliable addition to my routine.