(Close Window)
Topic: Doggy Bag by Jeff Hobson
Does anybody have a good source for the bags that Jeff Hobson uses in his doggy bag routines?
I use a normal change bag instead using a paper bag...
Using paper bag looks more impressive; using change bag, you don't have to construct the paper bag.
I bought a couple of boxes of them a few years ago for this routine.
(don't remember where I got them, but I just googled until I found them)

Walmart also sells the colored lunch bags in the greeting card & gift wrap section.
Hi music:

Walmart and Target both used to sell bags in different colors. I haven't bought them at either place in quite a while, so I don't know for sure. The bags are in the greeting card section, by wrapping paper and bows.

Also, you can buy them in larger quantities from Oriental Trading Company. I think their website is http://www.orientaltrading.com

I hope this helps you.

Ron
[quote]
On 2007-07-22 12:12, samuelchong wrote:
I use a normal change bag instead using a paper bag...
Using paper bag looks more impressive; using change bag, you don't have to construct the paper bag.
[/quote]

I would think a very large impact is missed using a change bag.

Any brown paper bag will work.

John
Hi Ron, I found some some at Oriental Trading (shipping cost more than the bags). Chuck
How would a change bag work for this routine? You blow up the paper bag and then pop it. You can't do either with a change bag ...
I know that Hobson HIGHLY recommends using colored bags for this...see his DVD for more info...but I've always used standard brown paper lunchbags. They're a running gag in my show. A change bag really wouldn't make any sense in this routine...

Steve
Is this in the "public domain", or routine available to be used (and adapted) by others?

Harris
It's on Hobson's DVD
Hobson Live is the DVD
Great stuff on it.
I use doggie bag all the time.
He teaches the routine on the DVD so I think this one is fair game.
Thanks..

Harris
I use a plain paper lunch bag...... they can see into it fine from a short distance. I think Jeff uses the colored ones b/c the white interior shows up better on stage. Lunch bags leave room for improv. gags
Jeff likes brown bags too.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kyvbTbAcNYA
Brown lunch bag from Albertson's.

I do it ALL the time.

Thx-Nez
How about a grocery change bag?

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Kid's%20Magic/CH26.htm#GROCERY%20%22POP%22%20CHANGE%20BAGS
His dvd is not "performance only"...he actually teaches the routine.

So, if you have purchased it....it's yours to do.
Mumblemore at the price of $5.00 how do you go wrong. It seems to me that is the way to go
You wouldnt believe , I cant find the right sizeweet bag here in uk, I prefer 10cm x 15cm pink thin paper bag, tried everywhere ?
I love performing this routine every time. I purchase my paper lunch bags in bulk from Sam's Club. The thinner the quality of the bag, the better. If you end up with a thicker paper bag, I simply put some razor slits in the bottom which are not noticeable.

Dan.
I use dark blue ones that Target tends to carry in the lunch bag section. The darker color hides the secret a little better than other colors, though I think any color works fine. They pop fine. The only thing I don't like about the trick is that you shouldn't prep too soon before the gig because...well...you know
I have been using this for years. I have performed my version of this over 350 times in the last 10 months! love it.
i have added a few ideas to it along the way to make it my own, but here are some basic things to know.

1-dollar stores sell colored lunch bags usually 8 for a dollar. cheaper then the walmart colored bags which are now 33cents each. few years ago they were 5 for a dollar. the cost of paper has gone up a lot over the past 3 years

2-colored bags really are the way to go. remember your using a pink balloon dogie so the color will really show against the blue or green bags.
i generally only use blue or bright green and purple.

3-prepping an hour before is just fine. I have prepped even earlier but I like to prep it at the show once I arrive only takes 90seconds or less to prep.

4- I honestly don't remember what Jeff uses to seal the bag (i think it was Rubber cement) but for the past few years I have used a glue stick instead and so much better and easier and faster!
i use a fat body permanent glue stick found at any office supply store.

5-some one mentioned thinner bags are better and that's just not true, they even said they put razor cuts on the bottom of the bag. that defeats the whole purpose of the final reveal of blowing up the back and popping it to reveal the dogie restored!
if you cut the bottom you cant blow up the bag! plus thinner bags might not really POP as they are thinner and cheap.

this has been one of my favorite routines and my go to effect for kids ages 8 and up and adults.
along with all the little tid bits that I have added to the routine this is a full 7-8 minutes of magic and comedy in my show.

did I mention I love this routine!

sam
I never saw this effect before. I saw this on Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3md6tlrMTyA
Does anyone have alternative performances to share?
Charlie,

That routine has been out for many years. It's on Jeff Hobson's DVD, JEFF HOBSON LIVE.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry.
I have also used this routine for yearsssssss.
In my birthday show I use a break away bag. In my stage shows I also use the colored bags but I don't glue the bags I just fold over edges.
I do this in all my shows.

Can't find good colored bags. They don't pop. I guess they aren't made well or are old and
that's why they don't work.

I presently use Kroger lunch bags from FRYS Supermarket. They all don't have perfect square corners but they make a nice pop
at the end of the routine.

BTW I think actually blowing up the balloon by mouth is a important part of the routine.

I use YELLOW because the spec. never chooses YELLOW when asked whats color to choose.

I use many gags and funny lines and stories during the routine. It has grown over they years.

A funny part towards the end is:
I say OK the first balloon was Yellow, the second balloon was YELLOW, What color is this one
and I hang the balloon half way out of the bag so they can see the color.

Always gets a laugh.

I do have my routine on Video.
I saw a guy do it yesterday. he didn't make a balloon dog first, he just stuck a uninflated 260 in, popped the bag, and pulled out a dog. I didn't like that routine.
I sometimes use a thumbtip with a pin sticking out a little to "accidentaly" pop the dog, rather than stomping on it. The blue lunch bags they sell at Target work well.
I don't use colored bags because they look more like magician's props. People are familiar with brown paper lunch bags (they seem to be the most common), so I just use the regular brown paper bags that everyone buys at walmart, costco, etc.

Hope that helps!
Kevin
Yes, the brown ones are best. I've used the colored bags and they are generally too thick of paper and harder to pop and, when they do pop, the bang is not as loud. The brown paper bag is most recognizable to audiences.
Wow. Good to see Jeff here.

Yes I agree that people are familiar with brown paper lunch bags.
I use them.

RH
Be a nice twist if you use a sick bag and when you pop it one of those fake vomit props falls out.

Maybe not for kids
Hi, all! Does anyone use these bags?

http://m.orientaltrading.com/bright-color-bags-a2-3_38.fltr?keyword=Color+paper+bags&utm_expid=53140435-13.I3NefMsnTcGSZMWJUq_WdQ.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.orientaltrading.com%2Fweb%2Fsearch%2FsearchMain%3Fkeyword%3DColor%2Bpaper%2Bbags

Are these the ones people buy in bulk? I've used brown bags but I'd love to use the colorful ones.

Thank you!
Hey frank
You and I just chatted about bags so use what I suggested.
As for these bags from OTC I have never used them

Maybe I'll get some and give a review.
As you know my performance is on YouTube and my website.
Jeff was so gracious to even comment on my routine and sent me a personal email too.

You can see it at www.deafinitelymagic.com
Or search YouTube for my name or heffs bame with doggie bag in it.

Have fun everyone
Absolutely BRILLIANT, Sam. Kudos.
I have to say, Sam has been helpful to me several times in the Café through PM. An amazing performer and a wonderful guy.

Thank you, Sam! Off to Wal Mart tomorrow morning for tons of bags!
Here's my performance of Jeff's dog bag. I especially liked the ending. The kid was so fun and excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcG-j-3ajo&t=2s
Very nice performance. I dig the Rocky music. To get a kid to choose the color I want I use a clear f---e bag full of balloons, it's a little added convincer for the skeptics and I wanted to do it differently. To pop the balloon "by accident" I usually use a thumb--- with a little pin attached. Sometimes I write emergency inflation kit on the paper bag.
I use brown lunch bags. I used to use a spray adhesive, but after several performances I realized it wasn't necessary for me. I just roll the top of the bag up a bit and it has worked for me ever since.
That's interesting Danny. Can you describe what you mean by rolling the top of the bag? I'd like to try that I think.

Thank you!
When I double up the bag, the inner bag stands higher up than the outer bad. I just roll down the rim of the inner bag until it comes in contact with the other bag. I tried posting a picture but it won't work. If I can figure out how to post a picture I could post a picture of it. I've never been called on it as it just looks like I rolled the rim of the bag down a bit to make it easier to reach in to grab a balloon. The bag usually sits on my case at the start of the show until I use it.
I cant find a thin block bottom bag here in uk,
Been using Walmart Bags and Glue Stick.

When putting bag inside of bag I have about 2" between
the bag and the Balloon dog finale because it make a louder pop.

Just don't let heplper look inside of bag.
Just got these and they are a perfect size, made well, heavy-duty and make a nice bang/pop.

They were recommended for another routine but they work great for making a balloon bag.

https://www.amazon.com/KRAFTABLES-Thick-Strong-Premium-Bags-Size/dp/B07PD9TMSY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=paper+lunch+sacks&qid=1577451962&sr=8-15&linkCode=sl1&tag=fitnessinahur-20&linkId=c6bfeaa7ffa4788a81b4da6e35abd65f&language=en_US
If you're not set on using paper bags, I have found that using and reusing small cloth tote bags from the Dollar Store has many advantages. For one, you can use a cloth tote bag "as is" or "ungimmicked" to do many color changing silk tricks, which allows you to put the bag into the hands of spectators and make silks appear, disappear, or change color while the bag is under their control. One of my favorite uses of the tote bag is to make a "Spotty" dog bag, in which the bag itself turns inside out to reveal my pet dog "Spot." You'll find lots of other uses for Tote Bags in the same e-Book at the Dollar Store Magic section at The Magic Nook.
Nice tip Jim

Thank you