(Close Window)
Topic: Manipulation routine/show trouble
Well, it's not really trouble with my manipulation routine, but I do have a question. There might be a better forum for this, but I could not think which one.

Okay,
I want to do a show, where I start out with a manipulation routine done to music, then go into a mentalism routine. Would this be workable/entertaining? I want it to be well thought out and put together. What I am looking for is a good 13-15 minute show, but I would like to keep my manipulation routine in it. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for any help!
T.G. Danton
Maybe if you put something in between the two. It might seem out of place otherwise, but you never know until you give it a shot.
Maybe a example of "mind powers" via popping balloons, or a light bulb? Then go into how two minds can connect with each other etc. etc. ?

Any other Ideas?

Thanks Drew!
You can still start off with the manipulation routine and followed by the mentalism routine. You still need a finale. I don't think the mentalism routine is a good powerful ending.
James, you took the words out of my head! (haha)

I was actually thinking about that, but no ideas have showed themselves. I was thinking Zombie, but I doubt that would work well...

I suppose I'll go try to think of a finale....

Thanks guys,
Danton
Well, I had an idea,

I would like to use Tony Clarks in and out rope escape. Would this make a powerful enough finale (while being as funny as possible of course)? I like making people laugh while doing magic and I thought this would leave them in a good mood.
I thought I could end the Mentalism routine, then say something along the lines of, "No Magic show is complete without an escape!" and end with the in and out rope escape. Yes? No? With some work maybe?

Thanks for all the help so far, but being as new to magic as I am, I need some more. So Please Help!

Thanks guys,
Danton
If you are "new to magic" I suggest you work in front of audiences and test each segment and see how things go. If your personality is strong and you have charisma, you can do almost anything.
I am not totally "new" to magic, I have done several shows already, but this will have some new stuff in it. I know the manipulation part will be fine, I took it to a state level talent competition. => I want to add more to it though.

I always try my show out on a few close friends (all of whom are quick to point out what wasn't good), so I'll try this with the escape as the finale. If they like it I think I'll go with that.

Thanks ya'll,
Danton
[quote]
On 2007-07-25 18:59, The Great Danton wrote:
James, you took the words out of my head! (haha)

I was actually thinking about that, but no ideas have showed themselves. I was thinking Zombie, but I doubt that would work well...

I suppose I'll go try to think of a finale....

Thanks guys,
Danton
[/quote]

You know the manipulation act could be a good opener then onto the zombie. Offer an expalanation of the effect that it is achieved by using your highly devloped mind via telekenisis and then go into a mentalism routine and then what ever finale you'd like.
Drew, that is a great idea! I'll Definitely have to try that one out.

I think that, with the in and out rope escape, will make a fine show.

Thanks guys!
You use the word show then give 15 min. time limit. That is an act, a show lasts 30 min. to 60 min. or longer.

I do not believe doing magic sleights then mentalism would work well together at all. You are telling them you are tricky by using the magic. This would pull down the mentalism.
I see what you mean...Sorry for using the wrong word to describe my "act". I am used to doing an "act" of 5 minutes or less, therefore a 15 minute "act" seems like a "show". I'm still fairly new to this.

I believe I will be changing some of the "routine" anyway, just because of the given location I will be performing, I need magic. Magic that will grab people and keep them there. Mentalism unfortunately, would not work well in this setting I think, because it takes a rather long time to come to the end of an effect. Still a work in progress, I am sure the "act" will be different in the end then my original thoughts. If necessary, I can make the manipulation "routine" longer to fill the time of the "act".

Thanks to all the people who helped me,
Danton