(Close Window)
Topic: Elastic Loops
I continue to be amazed at how powerful the effect of floating a bill or a napkin is to a spectator. Last night I floated a napkin, and my infamous magic-ruining brother-in-law didn't even have a guess. He went into the garbage after I threw the napkin away and tore it apart looking for a gimmick.

I did it again, casually in a corner, pretending I didn't know anyone was watching, with a playing card. Again...he burned my hands and just couldn't fathom how I was doing it.

I've been using Silk Worm thread, but I got a sample of Infinity Thread from Rudy Sanchez, and the stuff is just amazing.
It is great to see the reaction of those that try to mess up the experience for others when they have no clue. I find that great. Hopefully your brother-in-law will now take you more seriously.
He also thinks he knows how CMH works, but he doesn't.
What's fun is to watch him try to make rubber bands penetrate each other without knowing any moves.
You would have been better off in the long run if you had not done the secong levitation for him to see.

Bob
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jul 29, 2007 10:44PM)
^ Or levitated something via a different method.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 2, 2007 05:21AM)
Visual magic tends to create stronger reactions . .
When someone can make anything float it is amazing to a spectator.
You are defying the laws of gravity...next to minting money and being invisible it is probably the most desired power. Emotionally it has a very strong connection. As Wellington stated...leave em wanting more. A lot of pros I have soon make something float for just the very briefest of moments. And let their mind do the rest.

Kevin
Like Kevin, I float an object very briefly, usually before anyone is really paying attention (if I'm sitting at a bar or waiting in line, etc). Then people see it out of the corner of their eyes or catch a glimpse of something that's not quite right, and then I have their full attention!
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 2, 2007 11:01PM)
Good point - less is usually more.
Quite true. The corner of the eye approach is my favorite. You mentioned your using spider silk. Black or clear and since you have sampled infinity thread how do they compare vs thickness, invisibality and streatch ?
John