(Close Window)
Topic: Which magazine is good? Genii or Magic?
Which magazine should I buy; Genii or Magic magazine?

Please post your thoughts and comment.

I'm really keen to get these magazine. If both are good, I will order both.
They are both good, order both.
If you can afford it, I would suggest subscribing to both. I find that I learn something each month from each.

My personal preference, though, is Genii. It is generally better written and has more of an "edge." I find its writers more thought-provoking, even--or especially-- when I disagree with them. The publisher, Richard Kaufman, is not afraid to be controversial and state his opinions strongly.

Good luck!

Bob
I agree with Bob. Both are good, but if you can only afford one, I'd recommend Genii. Since Kaufman took it over it is always on time and the better magazine of the two--by quite a bit IMO.
Genii is the one to get. I limited myself this year to either it or Magic, and really didn't even hesitate to subscribe to Genii. IMO, the only thing I miss is Mike Close's reviews...
Magic is good too, I love reading Mike's reviews.
They are both pretty good magazines. I remember hearing a term on this where someone wrote Genii is like Life magazine and Magic is like People Magzine. Genii has lots of history, and great things in it. Magic has a lot of up to date articles. Shoot Ogawa is supposed to be in the next issue of Magic I think.
I like them both. I think of Magic as Las Vegas, West Coast, and illusion focused while Genii is East Coast, Historical, Sleight of hand focused. Generalizations for sure, but that is the way I categorize them in my mind. One is glossy, one is edgy, both are good.
I love both of them.
But..
Genii if there was only ONE choice.
Thanks a lot guys for the reviews. Since both are good I will order both.
I think there was the exact question last month, however Genii is probably a little more intensive as far as magic is concerned.

Magic is a very good magazine and a little more people intensive.

Dave
If you can afford both, by all means get both. Genii has really improved under Richard Kaufman and there seems to be a little more magic. Greg Webb's sleight of hand stuff is great. The Bill Goldman articles and Jamy Ian Swiss reviews are useless. I really can't understand why Richard Kaufman puts up with them. In Magic, good card stuff from Joshua Jay and good reviews from Mike Close.
If only one: Genii
Magic has gotten better in the last couple of years, so if you can, order both, but Genii is still much better.
After reading both, I personally would go with Genii, but whichever you choose you would be happy with either.
May I know how can I subscribe to the magazine as mentioned here?

Do they have any website? I live in Singapore and there are very limited resources here.

Any idea they ship outside to foreign countries?

Thanks for replying.

Jason
Both magazines have a website. Plus Genii advertises a lot in Magic magazine. I guess I am a little different than everyone else since I like Magic better then Genii. I do get both magazines since it is the limited way I can stay in touch with the magic community since I am stationed overseas with the military.
Dear magic friends,

Sorry, but I don´t understand...
Genii still exists???
It sees below what Pete Biro, one of its collaborators, wrote in the Magic Café (in Dec 13, 2002):

-----------
Pete Biro
Posted: Dec 13, 2002 2:10am
-----------------------------------
When Richard Kaufmann decided (today) to shut down Genii, I asked a few friends
"where to go?"

They suggested here... so, let's see what happens.
Kardini,

To clarify, Pete's reference was to the Genii online forum, rather than the magazine. Richard Kaufmann shut down the forum, but it has been re-opened under updated guidelines. The magazine is still going strong.
To subscribe to Genii:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/welcome.html

To subscribe to Magic:
http://www.magicmagazine.com/

To me they are different enough from each other that I would suggest starting out with both if cost is not an issue.

With Genii I find myself going first to Mr. Kaufmman's comments each month. He doesn't pull any punches and and his comments and insight add to the contents of his magazine each month. With Magic Magazine I go first to anything written by Jim Steinmeyer.
*cough* Penumbra *cough* *cough*

Wow i got a bad cold.

Lee
I like them both, but if I had to choose I would go with Genii - there is some in nearly every issue that surprises me and I like that.
To cgscpa: Thanks alot for the website.

To Liyao: Thanks for letting use your thread to post a questions.

To the rest: Thanks for the all the contributions and suggestions.

Have a magical year ahead

:clown:
As you understant GENII is the best!but if you can afford it Magic is great,too.Only one to choose from?Well,of course GENII!
I get them both, and really like them both.

But if I had to choose one, it would be MAGIC. I've been a subscriber since the beginning...
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Feb 20, 2003 07:00AM)
hmm. MAGIC is ok. We get sorts of a Lifetime like subscription. I find it to be good for catching up on conventions and sorts. But majority of it I find absolutely boring. I haven't read current Genii in a long long time. I have vintage Genii [from 1936] in which i enjoy looking thru still. If current Genii is of similar format. I probably will go with Genii.

My favourite magazine is still the TOPS Magazine.
I love both even if they are different
fagani
I get both and prefer MAGIC.

So much advertising in both ...

-Frank
I get both. If I could only have one for now and eternity I would choose MAGIC in a heartbeat. In my opinion Genii is for the avg. Joe magic guy where as MAGIC is more for the pro or semi-pro.

Calm down it’s only an opinion.
[quote]
On 2003-02-09 13:48, Schaden wrote:
*cough* Penumbra *cough* *cough*

Wow I got a bad cold.

Lee
[/quote]

*cough* *sneeze* PENUMBRA *cough*

Mine is much worse
I would listen to the ummmmm...guys with the coughing issue.
Genii is great!!!

-=tabman
Genii, by a nose, for me. More interesting feature articles than Magic in my opinion.

The reviews and tricks are about equal in both magazines.

Worth getting both.

Jack Shalom
I have both and I like magic more than genii. There's a lot of stuff in Genii where I'm not interested in
You may have to aspologize to Genii for that. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I prefer Genii, but am now going to see what this [cough cough] penumbra is about.
This thread is over three years old. Have anyone's opinions of the two magazines changed since 2003?

John
I prefer Genii just because of the better contributors and for the richer content every month.
I must admit that I like both magazines. The one feature that I like about Magic is the Silly Billy column. I am sure that I am like a lot of people. I prefer studying close-up, but about 90% of my paying shows are geared towards to children, hence, I use platform effects. There is not a lot written on this. I have found the presentations of standard effects priceless in stimulating my thinking.

Bob Phillips
Penumbra has some great material, but it's publishing schedule is much more "ibidemic" than Genii's ever used to be in the old days.

Bob Phillips
I think Magic has improved a bit, and Genii has become a bit repetitious with Richard pretty agressively promoting his projects through a lot of the articles (not blaming him, it's probably important to do to keep the magazine economically stable. ). So I'd say now they're about a tie for me. Both enjoyable, both happy days when the mail comes.

Jack Shalom
The ibidemic Penumbra... I'm tempted to find this just so I can experience ibidemicality. Now that's a $64,000 word, and I'm not sure I really want to know what it means.

Of course there's Antimony, as well as a British magic mag (I forget the title) that I know nothing about; anyone know which magazine I'm talking about? How does it compare? Any other magic magazines/periodicals out there of interest?
I hear Channel One is good, but that's just a rumor. I subscribed 9 months ago and am still waiting to recieve my first issue. In the meantime... I love Genii and Antimony.
Genii- I let my Magic subscription expire-Genii gives me enough each month to keep me busy
I prefer Magic. I like its layout better, and it seems easier to read to me.
I have subscribed to both for many years, and they are always neck in neck. One month Genii is better, the next month MAGIC. But they really are two different personalities all together. Like trying to compare People magazine with Atlantic Monthly or something. (Bad ****ogy on both counts, but maybe you get what I mean?)

The quality of the tricks in both has gone up considerably in the past few years, to the point where the term "magazine trick" is no longer pejorative. Really good material regularly appears in both magazines. Add to that really good articles about the craft and the people in it, reviewers that no longer pull punches (Henderson Lovick and Swiss all writing insightful, honest reviews), historical pieces about things obscure, and I look forward to each arriving in my mailbox.

I know this isn't an answer to the question posed, but my honest vote is to subscribe to both.

SWN
I like Genii much better. I think the tone of the magazine is a little less flashy and the Magicana selections are better than Magic's.
[quote]
On 2006-12-01 20:21, reese wrote:
I hear Channel One is good, but that's just a rumor. I subscribed 9 months ago and am still waiting to recieve my first issue. In the meantime... I love Genii and Antimony.
[/quote]

Channel One is not good; It is TREMENDOUS!! Understand that the Millers do not produce greatness on a TIMETABLE, they simply prefer to produce GREATNESS in and of itself. This, of course, takes time. They wait for the right amount of quality material to unveil itself and then take the time to produce a publication worthy of the investment of their subscribers. Not only do they make this point on their website, they also make back issues an option for new subscribers who lack the necessary patience. Trust me... I get as antsy as you do waiting for the next issue to arrive, but as a proud subscriber, and one of only two or three people in the known world to have a complete collection of all issues, I am happy to know that my subscription dollars are well invested in a product that I do EAGERLY await. So... how many mags do you subscribe to, and how many of them can you make the same statement on behalf of?

Hmmm......

:)
Magic was definitely better before Richard Kaufman took over Genii. But now, if I only have the money to subscribe to one, I will pick Genii.