(Close Window)
Topic: Dr. John
Was Dr. John the first Bizarre band? Are there others? Would you consider this Bizarre music or not?
Check this out :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DPqhetkWXw&mode=related&search=
Ah Dr. John was and still is a bona-fide one off genius...great voice, great music...

also, have a look round some Graham Bond music, We Put out Magick on You, whole songs sung in Crowley-esque verse and old ancient Magick....oh and some about Arturian legends, and he even did a song called Love is the Law...
Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBoB8-ZP4G0
KEWL!!!!!
Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_g0AdvSFZA
Is this a living dead test?
Good Harp...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vlaA-H-dU
Gris-gris by dr.john is a great album...i thought it was John Riggs at first in Gonks go Beat...look at a relatively clean Ginger Baker too!
+babylon+sun moon herbs

song from'70 performance is Zu Zu Mamou
Don't forget Screamin' Jay Hawkins from the 1950's. "I put a spell on you"

When the Stones first appeared they were pretty bizzare 'looking' but soon made Ugly ok which was a great boon for Mankind and Shelly Duval.

And yes Slim...Dr. John is IT...was IT and will always be IT.
There was a rumour about a song in the 50's called 'Hands of the Ripper' (by a band that featured 'Screaming Lord Such' of the 'Monster Raving Loony Party' in the UK, before his premature death a few years back.
Apparently listening to the song on LSD (played forwards, I hasten to add) could induce hallucinations about your own hands.
Sounds like hype, but I'd be too scared to test it.
Uh, yeah! Me too!

Bill
I've always found Britney Spears music to be pretty bizarre.
I'm not sure about the music but the Head Shaving might place her in the Bizarre ranks :)
Edger Caycee & The Sunshine Band covered Rockin Reich's "Hair Today, Orgone Tomorrow!"
FUNNY....but that's why you make the big bucks, isn't it :)
Good to talk with you on phone the other night even if you thought I was Tom Cutts.
Loa recorded through Zap Mama singer sometimes.

Sun Ra uncurls toes.
If ya like bizarre/gothic/horror music, check out Rue Morgue Radio...

http://www.ruemorgueradio.com/
I believe that Paganini was the first bizarre musician. He was a superstar in his time, and people believed he sold his soul to the devil to master the violin. He would be in the middle of a solo and "accidently" break a violin string, but keep playing. Then he would "accidently" break another string, and it would continue until he finished the piece, incredibly, on one string.

Screaming Jay Hawkins was quite a showman. He began his musical career in 1952, and in 1955 began his solo career, adopting the moniker “screamin’”he earned a reputation on showmanship bordering on lunacy. As part of Alan Freed’s package tours, he would be carried offstage in a flaming coffin. He fired blanks from a .32, appeared in cape, turban, & shades, used a shotgun for a prop, carried a cane with a skull (called Henry) that smoked cigarettes ("You know that smokin' s bad for you, Henry."), and used flash paper.

Screamin' Lord Sutch started with a group the Savages in 1958, and based his performing persona on Screaming Jay Hawkins. The Savages featured Richie Blackmore on Guitar! They were a cabaret act. Sutch dressed in leopardskin with a buffalo horns on his head, and used skulls, swords, coffins, outrageous make-up, blood curdling screams and shrieks, fire, and choppers, and live animals like a himalayan bear and a 20 foot long alligator. He had long hair (advertised as 3 feet of genuine long hair) well before the Beatles & Stones. In his cabaret act, he brutally murdered a woman every evening. Blood and gore played a major role in the show, it was said that he used gallons of catsup in his show. Long before Alice Cooper was doing it, he was called "the monster king of horror rock," and has played with musicians such as Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Bernie Watson, Ritchie Blackmore, Kent Henrey. John Bonham, Keith Moon, Nicky Hopkins, Mitch Mitchell, and appeared on the bills with Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Chuck Berry. He never had a hit in the US or UK, but laid the groundwork for the British Invasion.

Alice Cooper has been called called "the Bela Lugosi of Rock & Roll," and performed many horror illusions in his show.

And Slim, it appears you stumbled upon Dr. John's first solo recordings. Max was a session man in New Orleans and played on others' songs (including a recording about New Orleans Horror TV Host Morgus the Magnificent) before experimenting with his own style. One of my magic routines (Gris Gris Gumbo, in my book Turn of a Friendly Card and revisited in Midnight in the Dark Museum) is homage to Dr. John's song of the same title.
For.
Geez Jim...Perhaps you could enlighten us a little. WOW!!!!!
I guess I'd better read your books :)
I'm just finishing something about Crop Circles :)
Crop Circles will not get you gigs...'Midnight In The Dark Museum' on the other hand will give you a few oodles of what to do with that Monkey Paw you like. :)

I think Hastings smoked his but that is not proper usage even though ground into a fine dust for the dipping enancement of Marlboros.
Actually, Doug was kind enough to upgrade us to chimp WITH a readable palm AND a ruby ring. Our new Axtel Fritz Perls fingerpuppet likes it the best and no wonder. Britney Spears claims reading Machavelli's The Prince has changed her life. Of course, you silly, CropCircleSecrets only get gigs for me.

--Isnot Liwok
Yes Doug is kind isn't he. What a rare breed...as is he who scryes Crop Circles and creates circles in opposing brains.

Ain't life grand!
Don't forget the 13th Floor Elevators and Roky Erickson. With singles such as Night of the Vampire, I See Demons and Gremlins Have Pictures.
http://www.scaruffi.com/vol2/13thfloo.html
I'm writing some blues songs for a new show. I will be singing some cool SPELLS woven into the lyrics. Anyone want to help?
Thanks
Dave
The Graham Bond Organisation - We Put Our Magick On You...for about 3 or 4 songs all song in Magick...

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Magick-Put-Our-You/dp/B00003CWJ2/ref=m_art_li_1/103-2542252-6432651
Dave, you have Hastings' permission to boost imagery from CropCircleSecrets.--coupcoupdaddy