(Close Window)
Topic: My Part In a New Magic Reality Series
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 13, 2007 10:27AM)
Well, next Monday I am going to meet with Jay Sankey along with other young magicians to do a new magic reality series plus some documentary footage as well. This has always been my dream, and combining two things that I love is a dream come true.

BUT here's the thing... as soon as I confirmed the audition for this, my stomach wnet crazy! I still feel sick... I'm nervous for an audition that is a week away!

My question is, how can I control the anxiety and butterflies at the audition so I can perform my effects cleanly and without messing up my patter or, heaven forbid, the routine itself. I also need help finding the perfect sleight of hand effect to use, but for some reason it feels like nothing in my repertoire is good enough (although it probably is).

Please, any help you could give me to help me land my big break in magic and TV is greatly appreciated.

Michael Kras
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Aug 13, 2007 11:43AM)
Rehearse. Rehearse. Rehearse.
If you were hired to play yourself then, your good. No one knows you better then you.

Calmly run through your part imagining everything that can happen and how you will handle it. Don't do this all day... What I like to do is start the planing stages of another project (back burner) so, when this project is over you have another goal - in the big scheem of things this will be just another project in a long and profitable life. No one project makes you sucsessfull... they all do.

Have more conversations with the producer to see what they want. Have fun.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 13, 2007 06:18PM)
Thank you... very good advice. Definitely going to really think about thast.

But my main prfoblem here is that for the casting next week, I am trying to impress my idol in magic. nI'm afraid I'll seriously fumble..
Jay is surely going to be aware of a young magician's nerves in meeting his idol, so don't worry about it. Remain focused on your goal and don't overdo anything. As others have said, you're the best at being you, so do just that and you'll be fine. And tell Jay I said hello. :)
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 16, 2007 01:11AM)
Thank you to everyone, this will be extremely helpful to me! I have been practicing my routine like crazy as it has to be sleight of hand based.

Could someone please let me know if this is a good routine or any improvements that can be made? Here we go:

I start off with Joshua Jay's Trumped Triumph, with two cards selected and the rest of the deck cut into a few packets. Two packets are shuffled together, but unfortunately I am not paying attention and shuffle the cards face up into face down! I sheepishly continue by shuffling the other two remaining packets together WITH the first selected card added... I also shuffle these two packets face up into face down for the sake of theatrical symmetry. After all of the cards are totally shuffled together and squared, I ask the first spectator to name his card. When the cards are spread, even though the deck was GENUINELY shuffled face up into face down, all of the cards are back in a normal condition, all except the selected card which remains face up in the face down deck! I remove the card and square the deck, suddenly noticing I forgot to do anything with the SECOND selection! Uh Oh! But never fear, I try to read the spectator's mind to divine the freely chosen card. However, I cannot as I cannot read mindss very well yet. So, I request that the deck helps me as I respread them on the table. Impossibly, all of the Hearts in the deck are now face up, and in numerical order! I note which one is missing, and naturally, it is the second selection.

I then continue about not being able to read minds very well yet, so for the new mind-reading effect I will take some precautions. This is a lead-in to my effect The Turnover Deck with a PH Invisible Rising Card variant addition. I then ask them to freely select a card, and that card is shuffled back into the deck. I then say their card will turn face up in the face down deck IF I can properly get the image of their card! I then pass my hand over the deck revealing that one card has magically turned face up! BUT this is not the selection. I then explain the precaution I took made sure the spectator's card will turn face up, and so it has... As well as all of the other cards in the deck! I attempt it again, this time simply turning over one card magically in the centre of the deck with no funny moves. It is the selected card.

Excited about nailing the card right-on, I attempt to take it a step further by having them merely think of a card. When they do, I spread the cards to reveal a single face-down card in the deck. Naturally, it is the merely thought-of card.

The End.

The routine may sound long in print but it actually goes by in about 3 minutes which should be suitable for the audition. If it needs to be less, I will settle for Trumped Triumph alone. What do you think? Would this be an effective audition? By the way, I have been blowing my brians out practicing this thing and have it nailed, so no problem on the skill factor. Just the presentatio nand overall combination, is it good? Are there any improvements I could make?

Thank you!

Michael
Funny you mention presentation being the problem.

THAT is what it is all about in the end. At least for an audition.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 16, 2007 02:29AM)
When do I mention presentation being the problem? I have a good presentation, I just need advice or tips on this.
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Aug 16, 2007 03:09AM)
What does the effect tell us about you as a performer?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 16, 2007 03:10AM)
That I am an accomplished magician, but "not a good mentalist"
[quote]
On 2007-08-16 02:11, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:

Just the presentatio nand overall combination, is it good? Are there any improvements I could make?

Thank you!

Michael
[/quote]

To answer your question Michael RIGHT HERE! You ask if the combination and presentation is good overall. If you don't know that already, you are having problems with the presentation by definition.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 18, 2007 05:28PM)
I have updated the routine. Please give me your thoughts:

I now lose the Ace Through King of Hearts in the deck, shuffling and cutting them in. I then locate them, one by one, in the folowing manner in under two minutes.

ACE: Three cuts to find

TWO: Illogical Shuffle and XCM stuff to find

THREE: Oz. Pearlman's Quick Trick climax to find the three

FOUR: Card cut to is incorrect but is rubbed against the tabled cards and changes into the correct card

FIVE and SIX: Located impossibly from a fan of card (My own creation)

SEVEN: Shoots into the air, spinning high up and landing in my hand

EIGHT: Appears face up upjogged from the deck instantly

NINE: Cannot find it, but is found already sitting on the pile of cards!

TEN: Cards spread, one pulled out, incorrect! Changes into correct card instantly.

JACK, QUEEN: Deck is cut in half, on top of each half is the Jack and the Queen.

KING: Cannot be found, but is revealed to have appeared underneath the card case impossibly!

All under 2 minutes... HOO it is an exhausting routine and very hard to do... I am doing over 30 sleights in less than two minutes.

What do you think?
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Aug 18, 2007 05:33PM)
That you have too much time on your hands?
That, if you havn't already figured out the routine it is far to late to do any good?
And exactly how many times do you want to run the "I can't find it" ploy in 2 minutes anyhow?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 18, 2007 05:56PM)
I have put together the whole routin already... and I am doing the "I can't find it" exactly 4 times but prevails in a fantastic way each time as well.
What do you want to prove with this routine?
[quote]
On 2007-08-18 21:37, Alex Linian wrote:
[/quote]

Apparently that he can't find the card in less than 5 tries.
I don't think Sankey wants to see a showoff of moves. I imagine he would rather see a simple, powerful performance that demonstrates your ability to engage an audience. But I don't know much about the reality series, so who knows?
Think of a little "why" about what you are doing. Don't try to do magic for Sankey like so many who perform to impress or fool magicians. Do a routine for an audience, of which Sankey just happens to be a member and you don't know he is there. Make the routine say something to the audience, engage them, involve them. Have a why for what you are doing as well as a what and how. That will impress him far more than some attempt to try to impress the magician.
[quote] Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2007-08-18 21:37, Alex Linian wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently that he can't find the card in less than 5 tries.
[/quote]

That was hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 18, 2007 10:17PM)
No, I DO find the card. You have seen this tyupe of routine before right? Laypeople love this one, it is very entertaining, visually engaging, and has an interesting presentation. Also, Jay is looking for hardcore hand skills, and this is the best I could muster.

It is impressive to magicians, and even more impressive to laypeople. It's certainly not a magician fooler, but at the speed this routine it can really throw a magician through a loop. Laypeople love it, and this my shot.

Hope this clears things up, and answers your questions!
We didn't have the questions hijo, you did remember? (Sorry the Spanish lingo slipped in there, too much time in Mexico.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 19, 2007 12:33AM)
Yes... I believe so.
I guess the point is at this point if you are still restructuring things, good luck with it.
You might want to look into Greg Wilson's Card Stunt for a routine with identical plot.

Presentation-wise, I'd suggest you think about motivation, overall theme, idea, style and character - as everyone here has already suggested. But with the amount of time you have on your hands... I also wish you a real, hard good luck.

[quote]
It is impressive to magicians, and even more impressive to laypeople. It's certainly not a magician fooler, but at the speed this routine it can really throw a magician through a loop. Laypeople love it, and this my shot.
[/quote]

What makes you so confident? I can tell you that for a layperson to be amazed and interested in the premise, you either need someone who's interested in SOME part of the routine. This means you have to make 1) you 2) technique 3) plotline 4) structure 5) etcetc. Otherwise, why would people waste good time watching your routine? I can't assure you for sure but IMO, most folks are too busy to watch something so.. trivial unless it has a strong point of interest.
Reality show eh...i bet they dedicate the whole first week to MM03.

...american idol style.
When Greg Wilson did this in Card Stunts he at least had a loose plot point holding it together - that coupled with the fact that he'd already done a solid 25 minutes of entertaining magic and gaining a rapport with the audience made the routine successful. But today's the big day isn't it? Hopefully you can give us a detailed report on how it went. Best of luck.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 20, 2007 12:15PM)
Thnk you! Ut's judgement day today, so I will be practicing until my head explodes!
So how did it go?
I would imagine not well, or else I'm sure we would be hearing all about it already.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 20, 2007 11:40PM)
Hey!

Just got back, and here is the whole story:

We arrived in front of a small office building, wth Jay Sankey and about 10 magicians standing outside. As soon as I arrived, we all went into the bulding and Jay and his camera guy went into a small office while the 10 of us sat outside waiting to be called in.

Jay later called me, and I was feeling VERY confident. I went in and the camera rolled, and he started talking to me about magic. He is an extremely nice guy. And he had that same humor you see on his DVDs, it was like being in a Sankey video! After talking to him I stood up, and showed him my routine. I NAILED IT! Jay and the camera guy were noticably impressed, and Jay had nothing but good things to say afterwards.

I think I may be in! It sincerely sounded like that, and since there were not many to choose from, who knows?
Congrats man!! I was reading this, and all I could think of was, "Oh, no! He's restructuring his routine at the last minute. A bad sign."

But it sounds like you pulled it off, and that can only be a good thing!

I hope you nailed yours better than the next ten guys, because that could get you real air time.

Congratulations on hitting your mark, and good luck in the weed-out process.
Bill
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 20, 2007 11:56PM)
Thank you! Actually this was the only audition... The whole thing was kept very quiet, and I only found out through a friend. I believe Jay said that the only reason they will hold anothwer audition is if he doesn't find what he is looking for.

Thanks again!
Is this for an actual TV show, or another one of Jay's "Jam" videos?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 28, 2007 02:07PM)
It's going to be an actual TV show as well as some filming for Sankey projects.
If it is a TV show why is it kept so quiet?
[quote]
On 2007-08-13 11:27, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Well, next Monday I am going to meet with Jay Sankey along with other young magicians to do a new magic reality series plus some documentary footage as well. This has always been my dream, and combining two things that I love is a dream come true.

BUT here's the thing... as soon as I confirmed the audition for this, my stomach wnet crazy! I still feel sick... I'm nervous for an audition that is a week away!

My question is, how can I control the anxiety and butterflies at the audition so I can perform my effects cleanly and without messing up my patter or, heaven forbid, the routine itself. I also need help finding the perfect sleight of hand effect to use, but for some reason it feels like nothing in my repertoire is good enough (although it probably is).

Please, any help you could give me to help me land my big break in magic and TV is greatly appreciated.

Michael Kras
[/quote]

Sounds to me like you're NOT ready.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 28, 2007 03:41PM)
I was ready, more ready than anything and I did my audition very well. Now I play the waiting game as I await Jay's phone call.
Sounds like a week is more than enough time to choose from ten.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 28, 2007 10:46PM)
Well, Jay's a busy man, and he will call regardless.
Sorry to break it to ya'...they don't call "regardless". That's "showbiz"
Seems as if the call is not comming.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Sep 10, 2007 05:45PM)
Not yet, but I will give him time. He is obviously a busy guy, but I will do some research among others who auditioned. I don't believe anyone has heard back yet.
Do we have any word as of yet?
For Michael's sake I hope they give him a call one way or the other, but as noted above, in show business only the one who gets the gig gets called back, everybody else gets left waiting.
Still no word?
Well, I talked to Jay briefly at his lecture last week, and by the sounds of it, it sounds like he will be giving us a call sometime this month. Also, he announce a huge, worldwide project in his newsletter which is undoubtedly the TV series.
C'mon Michael, I'm dying here...any news yet?....huh?
I was waiting also.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Oct 20, 2007 04:52PM)
These things take time. Maybe I got it, maybe I didn.t. As far as I know, nobody has heard back yet.

and Dannydoyle, I apologize for the rude PM I sent in regards to this.
Wow I feel bad I didn't get a rude PM yet. Please resend. Or just put it here.

LOL.
Wow I feel bad I didn't get a rude PM yet. Please resend. Or just put it here.

LOL.
Month's up...just wondering if you've heard back yet??

-Steve
[quote]
On 2007-08-18 23:17, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
No, I DO find the card. You have seen this tyupe of routine before right? Laypeople love this one, it is very entertaining, visually engaging, and has an interesting presentation. Also, Jay is looking for hardcore hand skills, and this is the best I could muster.
[/quote]

I mean no disrespect here, but I'm wondering how you could know what lay people feel about a routine that you just put together and have little experience actually performing it? It often takes me weeks and longer to get a grasp of what lay people as a whole feel about a new routine.

-JoeJoe
I just contacted Jay a few days ago. He said he will contact me for the show if someone accepts his pitch at the beginning of the new year!